Notices

aasharon90 has 16 years today!

Old 08-11-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

CONGRATULATIONS AND HUGS!

16 years is a LONG time. I'll echo the warm messages you've received here, and add my own and the 7th Step prayer, which is on a plaque by my front door:

My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen.

The phrase "out from here" also means, for me, "online here."

I won't finish in my usual way, I don't want to steal your thunder. This is your day. Mine's coming. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sharon,

Happy 16th bday to you. You are such an inspiration with your sharing from the heart, the posts that make us think and the way you encourage and lead by example.

Big big hugs and wishes for many more ODAAT's!
Kellye
Old 08-11-2006, 11:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At this point, I can't even imagine 16 years! Way to go! You're an inspiration!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wish i could see everyone here in person.

I know that SR for me has been my direct link to AA since last Dec. and other recovery sites since we moved here to Houston 10 yrs ago. After leaving my wonderful AA support back in Baton Rouge i also let go of my daily routine of going to a meeting if not 2 a day for 6 yrs.

I know online recovery will never take the place of the real thing....face to face meetings where you experience that one on one fellowship of a group. To experience first hand the daily miracles that happen as we watch a newcomer blossom into a functioning recovery person in society.

To see the transformation upon their faces when they finally understand the clarity of recovery.

So many here from just reading posts of rollercoaster rides of emotions, daily set backs but to only get back on the horse and ride once more. The willingness to keep trying no matter what. To reach out for help and suggestions when life gets hard. To know you are never alone in recovery.

It may seem like that at the beginning esp. when family members dont understand us. Dont understand our disease. I always think it takes one to know one.....and thats where our fellowship comes into play. We never have to feel alone when we r sitting in a meeting or hanging out with others just like us. No need to explain why we did and do the things we do.

It's because all of us have been there..done that.

And sooo im rambling on right now.....

I feel right here at home with you guys each time i read ur posts. The only thing that separates us is the screen.

I have a picture in my space which i would like to put here in sober recovery and will as soon as i can get help to do that here....iin the meantime if ud like just pop in over myspace and say hello. : ) Im listed as ssmoses.

Thanks for your kindness and friendship.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Paused

That is...

TERRIFIC!!!

Congratulations Sharon on your wonderful accomplishment! You give me hope and inspiration for lasting sobriety. I hope I can accomplish the same dream one day.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats Sharon! Thanks so much for your insight, caring and inspiration!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Congratulations!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I love the third step prayer of AA but I like the NA 3rd step prayer as well.

God, take my will and my life, guide me in my recovery, and show me how to live.

Anyway once again Happy Birthday....
Old 08-11-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Sharon,

You rule!!!

Be Well,
Joe
Old 08-11-2006, 01:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

16 Yrs.sober....my Story

This is my story.

I went to a local club Feb 1990 and upon returning home less than a mile from my home i ran off the road hitting a concrete culvert sitting on top the ground. The EMS was called around 2 AM in which i dont recall the ride to the hosital where i stayed for 10 day with them removing my punctured spleen are i would have bled to death.

A few months home healing quite well with the help of pain pills and no alcohol. As soon as the pills had no more pain to heal i picked up a drink.

It is now Aug90 and ive returned to the same club drinking and carrying on. This time i returned home late to a horrible arguement which then led to a dare that i kept. My spouse ordered me to go to sleep after i told him that i should just end my life and then everyone would be happy. He thought i was bluffing and left the room. I then quietly said to myself...."i'll show u." With a hand full of pain pills from the closet, i drank them down with a big gulp of wine and off to bed i went with hopes i wouldnt wake up the next day.

The next morning was to be my 2 little ones last day at vacation bible school. They tried to wake me with no luck. Then i heard a faint ringing of the phone next to my bed. This allowed me to pick it up and with slurred voice answered it. To this day i believe it was my HP calling me to get up because He wasnt thru with me yet.

And so the voice turned out to be my mother-in-law who was screaming at me to get up and move around. I was scared enough that i staggered to the bathroom to induce vomiting and get those pills out of my system.

Why did I do that? hmmmm....some little Voice in the back of my head was guiding me.

The next thing i remembered was my spouse trying to haul me to the car to take me to the hospital to get my stomach pumped. I fought tooth and nail to keep him away from me because i didnt need to go since i had already thru up most of that crap in my system.

Anyway...i was too strong for him and he needed help.

Before i knew it the police had come to take me away. Hmmmm where????

They had gotten a court order to take me to the "crazy ward" because i was unstable so they thought and i may try to harm myself again....I dont think so.... hmmmm

So i left quietly following th officers and passing both my husband and father-in law out the back door. I looked at both of them with daggers in my eyes and with soooooo much hatred inside me...like how could u do this to me.....little me...who wouldnt harm a single hair on ur head. hmmmm

I was led to the back of a handless police car where i sat inside behind a screened whatever u call it...it was to protect me from them or them from me????? I felt soooooo ashamed...so humiliated.....sooo hurt.....I was pissed....

That first night was spent in the hospital for the mentally ill. The sockets were filled in with plaster....wire fences on the windows in case i wanted to escape....all my stuff was taken from me like hair dryer, cologne , makeup...all my comfy things to make me look pretty. Now why would they take away my cologne???? Im not gonna drink that...YUK...

I later learned that people did drink cologne, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid....oh yuk.....I had no idea. anyway...the next day i went thru a whole bunch of test to see if i was sane or not....i passed everything with flying colors and really felt sorry for all those other people shuffling across the floor. Now that was eiry.

After they diagniosed me as someone with a drinking problem i was sent up stairs to the Silkworth Hopsital for 2 weeks. Well 2 weeks flew and i was told i wasnt going to make it outside the door sober one day and offered to send me to a halfway house. Hmmmm right...panic city snuck in....i was already away from my little ones long enough and i didnt want to be shipped out of state to a halfway house away from my family any longer.

So a deal was made to where i could stay in treatment there for the entire 28 days followed by a 6 week intensive aftercare program.

I did it accordingly and was home with my family before i knew it.

What happened to me after all that.....well with the tools of recovery placed in my hands, suggestions filled my head, i was sent off with willingness and desire to stay sober know matter what.

I knew what i had to do and i did it no matter what....no matter how hard it got......I went to meeting after meetings and watched others, listen to others as i spoke not a word. I absorbed what i could comprehend at the time and kept doing what others had been doing before me for many years.

I wanted what they had more than anything.....it hasnt come to me quickly but it is coming to me....the promises as stated in the Big Book. They will materalize if u work for them.

Faith without works is dead. I have faith because of the way i was raised....i may not practice my religion like im suppose to, but i do have faith in Something or Someone More Powerful than I. I rely on that Power and you people and my recovery program to keep me sober one day at a time.

For that and you, Im TRUELY GRATEFUL TO BE SOBER TODAY 16 YRS LATER.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by aasharon90

For that and you, Im TRUELY GRATEFUL TO BE SOBER TODAY 16 YRS LATER.

Thanks for letting me share.
Thank YOU so much for sharing your inspirational story
and for all you do here at SR, and
CONGRATULATIONS on 16 years, FANTASTIC!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Fantastic Sharon congrats on 16 Years.

Kevin
Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you Sharon, and congratulatons on your 16th birthday. All of your posts make me think or inspire me in some way.

Hope your day was great
mertyl
Old 08-12-2006, 03:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WOO HOO you're really rocking .Congratulations and admiration.
indie