Notices

Battling the voice on Day 35

Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Battling the voice on Day 35

Well I just got home from work about a half hour ago.

Today for the first day this week where the voice came in right before I left work and it was stronger than it has been in the last little while.

I don't understand why. I had lots of sleep last night. Did dishes and cleaned up before I left for work. Went to the gym during my lunch break. Ate healthy - I'm trying to eat salad and fruit every day and I'm drinking tons of water and juice.

I can't say I'm ready to relapse because to counteract the voice - I battled it with 'one day at a time' and I just have to get home - I'll drink soda/juice when I get home. But man oh man I'd like it to get easier and it seems to hit when I relax even a little bit.

I hit a grocery store on my way home and picked up lettuce and chips. That might stave off the cravings tonight. This is also the night that I used to start the 'weekend' by drinking with the boyfriend. He and I just started speaking again this week so that might have something to do with it.

I don't know.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

((((Erin))))

My name is Vic and I am an addict. Grateful to be here clean tonight!...I don't have a lot of time here but I would like to tell you that I just learned in out-patient that a craving, etc only last for 7 seconds, it is what we replay in our minds that make it last longer. We were taught that when our minds start to do this that we need to focus on something else right away.

I know for me the other day, I was in a NA Meeting and I started to taste the crap in my mouth, I was even reading the NA Basic Text so I got up and walked around the room and started to pick up and it left pretty quick. So maybe that will help you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love Vic

Just For Today we never have to use again
Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there girl!!!

I can totally relate to the weekend thing, it was easier not to drink during the week during work - but come the weekend, I was ready to party! I told my husband from now on (because he likes to cut loose on the weekend) no alcohol in the house! If he wants to have a beer, than go out with your buddies!

Take care and stay strong!!!

FallGirl
Old 08-10-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Fall girl I bet you to the draw LOL we both posted at the same time God thing
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LOL! Thats what I thought to!!! I thought I was the first one to respond - and there you were!

FallGirl
Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Heck, my trigger was driving home from work. I hardly think about it at that time anymore. It will pass in time. I heard it never totally goes away (craving) but it gets better. Hang in there and stay busy!!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Driving home is definite trigger. Thursday, Fridays, Saturdays are particularly bad. Making plans for the weekend to get busy and distracted. I'm broke though so it has to be cheap.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cravings seem to hit most people around day 35. I know it was that way for me. It does get easier though. Just don't use no matter what.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

30 days is a big trigger for many people so it's not uncommon that you're feeling squirrelly right now. It's just really important that you keep strong and take measures (use any tools you've learned) to fight back and get past this point. Every time you win, you get stronger.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congradulations on 35 days. You are pretty much right where you should be at 35 days. Hang in there. If your doing meetings, you should have a phone list. Use it! If you dont have a sponsor, get one. ASAP. Triggers? I was out there for nearly 30 years. Heck, breathing is a trigger. Work the steps and you will get through this.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Hang in there ((Erin)) your doing so well...!

It is a bumpy road but you can do it. 35 days is Great.

Yer i can relate to the breahting thing aswell... ...!

were with ya Honi...X
Old 08-11-2006, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Erin,

WTG!!! Sounds like you are doing everything you can and thats wonderful!!! I know what you mean about not understanding the sudden urge, My "evil voice" gets me at the strangest times!!!! Stay strong, your doing great!!!!!
Liss
Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ahhhh the voice or is it the VOICE... I no longer hear that voice, thankfully. I still "feel" the compulsion from time to time. The voice faded out as I became sober longer. Now it is a distant memory. In short, trust me, the "VOICE" will quiet down. It is an interesting phenomena.

I took the approach of arguing with the voice. NOT kidding. I would drive around with the tunes cranked and actually argue with the addict voice out loud... no one could hear b/c of the music and so I didn't feel as foolish doing it.

Eventually the voice recognized I was not giving in and faded away. Beware though mine was a sneaky voice. It would wait in the weeds and pop up long after it quieted down again and again b/f it finally faded away. And, I know voice is still in there waiting and slumbering for another shot at the title.

What did I argue about? I always began by recognizing what the voice wanted... alcohol... and then I went on to tell it why it could not have alcohol (listed all the reasons I would not drink). If it was still at me, I would then yell NO NO NO NO. In time it faded.

ahhh the good times me and voice had!

Peace, Levi