Notices

180 Day Challenge Part 10

Old 10-25-2023, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

180 Day Challenge Part 10

Last part here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-9-a-20.html (180 Day Challenge Part 9)

D
Old 10-25-2023, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
over hung over

Thanx for new thread Dee.
This seems to have been going for a while now.....
Old 10-25-2023, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee, hope you are well.

Pline - the irony is I am seriously considering giving up growing and returning everything back to its original form. Im facing significant time constraints in the upcoming stage of life's journey and I'm injuring myself regularly which makes it all a headache. Its going to be a tricky endeavour "undoing" it all but there's no rush and I'll outsource what parts I can to professionals. Its necessary for me to concentrate solely on earning for the next couple of decades, then maybe I can get a little slice of paradise somewhere in retirement.

There certainly does seem to be a high level of alcohol consumption in some shows. It can be annoying when its shows your invested in and want to keep watching but find it off putting. Sounds like your projects are as involved as ever and keeping you busy. Re the intense focus, I guess we have to put our attention somewhere.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks guys

D
Old 10-25-2023, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, as always we appreciate your support. Do love your avatar!

Interesting thoughts Pline, I have similar lack of external distractions here too, but my own internal ones are the battle for me. Constantly sidetracked, then forget what I was on, etc. If this were a recent occurrence I'd be concerned about dementia or something but it's not.

Zura, that sounds a shame to have to undo all that hard work. Any way to keep it going in some form while you take on more formal work? I do understand the pull to get some income and potential benefits, had to do it myself after I'd been out of the corporate world for 5-6 years, needed to build up more social security and get some health insurance. It was kind of difficult for me as I went back at a lower level than I had come out. Not that I hadn't had offers early on, but after a few years not in the game it becomes difficult. My ego didn't handle it well but I sucked it up and did it for 6 more years, until age 57. I wish you the best in your endeavors and I know you will have that dream come true.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

By the way, Pline.. "mental railroading".. haha I love that term!

Sometimes I do get sucked into things, and hours can go by.. meals missed, so I know the feeling. It just rarely happens on things I am supposed to be working on, haha.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Advbike - haha if only it worked that way for us all to be enthisiastic about the things we should be doing. I used to say to my son when he was avoiding the 'should be doing' tasks...."If only you used your powers for good, you'd be an unstoppable force. You could single handedly end world hunger and bring about world peace" 😂. I am using my powers for good Mum, I just stopped a global zombie apocalypse and saved the entire world from total annihilation 😂😂😂. Well im glad your being productive and making such important contributions to society son 😝.

Re undoing things it sure will be a shame and I'll miss it all terribly. But even in a worst case scenario I can definitely keep some beds for veggies it'll just be on a much much smaller scale lol. I'll probably have to get rid of the fruit trees though but they are dwarf and don't produce that well and there's not much fruit left after the birds and insects get their share. They are beautiful so it'll be a reluctant parting but we do what we must.

Sam - hope you check in soon although I know you've been unwell and likely getting caught back up with work whilst still recovering.

dickensen - hope all is well with you.

You too Mizz if your around!
Old 10-26-2023, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi everyone-
I am here, I am fed up with feeling sick and was tired of posting that I am sick, so here I am posting that I am still sick, lol.

But getting there, today is much better than the last couple days, yesterday I gave up trying to work and took the afternoon to rest.

It's oddly warm here today-supposed to hit the high 70's (F) the next few days. Very odd for late October in PA, my coneflowers are confused and are blooming again.

Zura-I used to get seedlings from an online catalogue too, they had the best selection of hot peppers anywhere. And lots of heirloom tomatoes that originally grew in Pennsylvania so I'd get those from them as well. I did try them again last year but the selection was way down, maybe still recovering from the pandemic, who knows.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Morning All 🌞

Sam - I can understand being sick of being sick, and being sick of talking about it. Sending get well wishes.
Its nice that your coneflowers are blooming again, i think they're such a lovely flower.

Those sound like a lovely selection of veggies seedlings Sam. I never thought online seedlings would be very good quality and couldnt see how being transported in a box would not harm them....but here we are lol.

I remember when I ordered 4 chickens from a "family" company a massive truck showed up and hands me a cardboard box 😳.......that was disturbing as I was notified when they were on the way and it was atleast 12 hours probably closer to 18 that they were "in transit". The farm was close enough I thought they might have had smaller trucks that did a run to my city once a week or something, and they would only be on the truck for 6 hours or the like. I should have asked the driver did he have to feed and water then overnight lol i was so shocked i just stood there, then put them in their awaiting coop as fast as i could. I had no idea they transported chickens this way. They all lived to tell the tale 🤷.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
over hung over

Sorry to read that you may be packing up the garden Zura.
We'll all miss it too, should you go down that track. Reads as tho you are about to join the day workers for a while.....

"It just rarely happens on things I am supposed to be working on, haha."
Adv.....maybe that's something telling you they're the things you should be working on.....that you want to work on.

Sam, sorry that improvements are coming so slowly for you. You can only stick with it, take it easy and let repair happen at its own pace.

Ok....Friday. Nearly there (cross fingers, find a bit of wood to touch) with current thing. Have had it repeatedly fail as I've run up the temperature, beeping, error messages.
So, yesterday I'm standing there watching the numbers flick silently over, in a surprising state of suspense. But replaced parts seem to hold up ok. Maybe I had wrong voltage. Not marked, so you have to check them with a meter and make a vaguely informed guess.
Want to get this finished so can get on with something that outputs rather than just endless fiddling with the tools.

Ok...go and get into it.
Later

Old 10-26-2023, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Advbike - I agree with what pline said re maybe your meant to be doing those things instead. It probably didn't come through in my story about my son. Freedom of individuality is why I homeschool him. To avoid the cookie cutter mechanisms of society trimming off the best parts of him. Anyway, your an awesome person, and you and my son have so many common interests like motorcycles and photography so thats why that memory came to mind likely. When he was a kid he loved bike riding too, although it morphed into bmxing and skateboarding also (his other passion was Lego but he does online gaming now that satiates that love).

pline - my future worklife is very uncertain. If i can get casual or part-time employment and it meets my financial needs I can continue on as is with some light "trimming"of my current home endeavours. I'm actioning those now with a big decluttering of projects I've not gotten to, or thought better of eg giving away my unused bee-keeping equipment to a home they'll be loved and utilised. There's heaps of other things I'm scaling back/decluttering before year end also.

But I'm also preparing myself mentally/emotionally for the likelihood i may have to do fulltime work, which will equate to a heavy cull of my home endeavours. In that case i will embrace that scenario and use it as fuel to fund a dream of a future life in which I have less constraints. Ultimately, I trust that I'll end up where I'm meant to and that in the now I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, doing exactly what I'm meant to be doing. If that makes sense.....
Old 10-26-2023, 09:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

PS pline I had to go back and re-read your current project. As I've mentioned I have no clue about those sorts of projects specifically but I was holding my breathe with you in comradarie as you counted down, when I was reading. Fingers crossed for best outcome scenario.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great comments, as always. You hit the nail on the head, Pline. My mother always told me that she hoped I would find work I enjoyed.. for the very reason you both suggest.. Mentally and emotionally I have a real hard time doing things I don't enjoy, or that I perceive as onerous, or where I know that my perfectionism will create frustration.

Zura, thank you for the kind comment and I just wanted to say that the way you raised your son and daughter is really special. You really swam against the tide, and I'm sure their lives will benefit. But now it's time for you to focus on your own priorities and building the future you want. Nonetheless, I'm sure you will do it in a creative way, haha.

I have upholstery cleaners here today doing furniture, and rugs, and this afternoon a guy coming to replace the springs in my garage door. Some long deferred maintenance.. haha.

Best to all for a great weekend ahead.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
over hung over

The 'follow your star' thing is an issue close to my heart. When young I simply was not permitted to make such choices. I rebelled. Made choices in reaction rather than in response and consequences followed. Probably how I've wound up here.
Was determined this would not be my son's experience. We had no idea what he would do, we were offered the unlikely possibilities of 'film director', or 'game designer'.
But we just left it alone. He found his own way to his talent for languages and from there found confidence, success, relationships and now a great full time job at the university that initially took him in because they could see he had a gift. He followed his star, and it has been the greatest joy of a fairly unjoyful life to watch it all unfold.

Zura i think you've taken a brave road, and have done a great job. You can't see exactly where any of it will exactly end up, but you both sound as tho you are well prepared to deal with and take the best from whatever evolves. Which is all we can do.

The current project is struggling. The firmware is developed and released in versions that are supposed to include ever greater functionality. But it doesn't always work out like that and I'm sensing that I'm not alone in struggling to get this one to work. So, 2 options. Backdate everything to an earlier version and watch for the possibilty of future fixes or shift across to an entirely new firmware which seems to be getting quite a following. Try the backdating first. Alternative is tempting. Things move along quickly in this world.

How you today Sam?

Might venture out seeking some wasabi plants before the afternoon rain arrives.
Later

Old 10-28-2023, 08:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi all, still here, still sick, ugh. I am better but it's such a slow process, doing much of anything just wears me out. And like I said I hate just posting about it.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good Morning All

Advbike - sounds like your getting lots of little odd jobs organised around the place.

Pline - so wonderful that you were able to give your son the space to find his own path in life. Hope the earlier version sorts things out for you.

Thanks for all the supportive comments, its really affirming as ive been judged extremely harshly for my life choices. Then again that made me feel even more so that i was doing the best thing 😆.

Sam - continued healing wishes sent your way. Feeling so poorly must be getting really old by now.

Looking forward to a day of gardening today after having a day off yesterday. Really need to get to a physio, but I feel I should get scans first 🤔, otherwise it feels like they're guessing lol. But doubtful they'll do scans. Anyway, best wishes to all.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Morning all, actually it's just passed noon, lol. Been up and working on rental arrangements for this winter while I'm gone. Unfortunately my dear friend the judge is having health issues so am having to find others. Always lots of demand from snowbirds but only take those I know personally or friends of friends.. so much to do between now and then, I am definitely stressed. And the middle east situation is really making me sad (and angry), one of the drawbacks of being an empath. Need to get out on the bike this afternoon at all costs. I have been eating way too much crap lately.

Try the new firmware, Pline! Haha go for it. What's the worst that can happen (gulp..)..? 🤔 😝🤣😁

Sam, hope you feel better soon. It reminds me I need to get my Covid booster - already got flu and RSV. Hate being sick.

I think I'll just go ride now before the wind comes up.
Old 10-29-2023, 03:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
over hung over

Morning.
Yeah, I did it. It works. Reversed the firmware and found what could work.
Then one last problem....solved by adding a code into the script that it runs when finished. TA DAH!
Oh, it is a good feeling when you get there. Maybe I'm not entirely in a state of mental decline just yet....
It all seems obvious when you're at this end looking back. But starting out.....How to find a way to understand it?
You have to become aware of your own assumptions. They may not apply here.

Middle East? My attitude to religion is that its probably too good for people.

Had some early rain, so hopefully the potted herbs will be gently stirring....
Old 10-31-2023, 11:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good morning all - Happy Halloween!

It is cold and windy here in the desert now, wind howled last night.

Good job on that, Pline. I'd say your mental health is solid, and your work style very effective.

Sam, I hope you have cleared the virus and are on the mend.

Dickensen, how are you doing? Last we heard you were up north.

Zura, I hope all is going well with home, health and garden.

I am struggling with my anxiety issues lately, lol. Just too much piling on all at once - my impending winter travels are only a month out now, and I still have a visa requirement (ongoing travel) to arrange, house rental issues and contracts to complete, and innumerable tasks to get my home ready for picky winter tenants and personal belongings properly stored. Plus a week trip in there to visit my bro for Thanksgiving. Ugh... might have to fly, but concerns about catching covid just before international trip hold me back from that option.

It has been 4 years since I actually rented my primary home for the winter and now I remember why, lol. It's great money, but adds way too much pressure on top of everything else. Plus I have the usual anxiety after looking at my year end financial situation, investment losses, and ongoing l/d relationship concerns. Lots of money going out, not enough coming in. I admit that my spending habits don't help, but that's a coping mechanism too. It's just too much lately, and at this point I am majorly stressing out. Anxiety (I have GAD) is cumulative, but really hard to sort out. It just becomes a tangled web of worries and stress. You don't know where to start to untangle it.

It is at times like this that I realize the issues are larger than I realize, I just ignore the stressful stuff most of the time and procrastinate - until deadlines approach. Then I get panicked and jump into action, but then I am almost paralyzed. Lists and more lists. This pattern has repeated my entire life since childhood. It happened in school, work, and in my personal life. No wonder I drank to relieve stress. GAD is a big trigger for AUD and highly correlated. And when the OCD and anxiety ramp up we subconsciously try to gain control by focusing even more on details and micro-managing. But obviously that just makes things worse.

I sometimes wish I'd gone the meds route - life shouldn't be this stressful. But the one thing that helps is to get something done every day, so off I go. Big list, plenty to choose from, lol. Work backwards with time-constrained tasks first, and there are many. A good friend of mine recently gave me some sage advice - she said Adv, all that matters is that the house is really clean, and no one will care about anything else.. haha, sounds so simple, but I think mostly right. I just wish my brain worked that way - but my paragraphs are neat, right? Lol..

Best wishes for a sober and fun Halloween to all. Stay warm!
Old 10-31-2023, 12:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good Morning All 🌞

Pline - fantastic that you were victorious with the project! Sending growing vibes to the herbs.

Advbike - must be the week for wind, its been bad here, therefore so have my allergies. Had to cancel my dentist appointment earlier this week due to severity of attack and will have to hide inside closer to my rescheduled appointment. And ofcourse we've discovered my son is a fellow sufferer as he gets the same symptoms when helping with the dreaded lawn care so I can't even pass it off entirely to him.

Very sorry to hear that your feeling burdened and stressed. I'm sending you best wishes for some relief and hoping you find what works for you in finding some peace with it all. I like your friends advice lol but sometimes when we are stuck in that mode it's hard to short circuit it.

Best wishes to everyone ❤️.