# 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Post 😺 Zencat's (DEJ ) Journal and Scrapbook Part 2

New Thread Quote

Old 09-15-2023, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee For All You Do Free Of Charge

I almost had to pay $$$ for Dee's services . Therapy costs about $120.00 a session . If I had to pay to be on SR it would still be worth it. I must have saved $10,000.00 by getting guidance from Dee and all my peers here. I am grateful for Dee and everybody here at SR.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seriously!
I finally figured out that I'd better take advantage of the freely provided knowledge here while I still had a chance.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Zen, I just caught up on your thread. Huge congrats to making 500 posts and graduating from newcomers forum. Although I would argue that just because we no longer qualify as Newcomers, we can still nurture a beginner's mind with all its curiosity and humility . . . . .hmmm . . . . Ive heard of "beginner's mind" in Buddhism but I don't know much about it.

You said something about work and play a few days back that I liked. I'm not super good at play although there is work like working on my firewood pile that I super enjoy.

Of all the AA sayings, I probably like "take the next right step" as it gets me up and going. I can dither about what I do next but just doing something is hugely helpful.

Keep the course you fine man.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Thank you Dee For All You Do Free Of Charge

I almost had to pay $$$ for Dee's services . Therapy costs about $120.00 a session . If I had to pay to be on SR it would still be worth it. I must have saved $10,000.00 by getting guidance from Dee and all my peers here. I am grateful for Dee and everybody here at SR.
Even with occasional meltdowns, I gladly do this job gratis.
I’m glad you made it to your part 2 Zen

D
Old 09-16-2023, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quotey-O Time

Old 09-16-2023, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
Seriously!
I finally figured out that I'd better take advantage of the freely provided knowledge here while I still had a chance.

Thanks, Five. I know learning is a reciprocal process. You bring a bunch to the table too.

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hey Zen, I just caught up on your thread. Huge congrats to making 500 posts and graduating from newcomers forum. Although I would argue that just because we no longer qualify as Newcomers, we can still nurture a beginner's mind with all its curiosity and humility . . . . .hmmm . . . . Ive heard of "beginner's mind" in Buddhism but I don't know much about it.

You said something about work and play a few days back that I liked. I'm not super good at play although there is work like working on my firewood pile that I super enjoy.

Of all the AA sayings, I probably like "take the next right step" as it gets me up and going. I can dither about what I do next but just doing something is hugely helpful.

Keep the course you fine man.
@Bekindalways You like chopping wood yes. Good for your mood and health. Have a chainsaw and a log? I challenge you to make some chainsaw art out of that log Boom, fun, and a hobby all in one. Maybe make a fish wall hanger. Won't need a large diameter log for that project. YouTube has instruction videos I bet.

You are spot on about the beginner's mind or Shoshin. It is about not having a preconception but rather an openness to all the possibilities seen and unseen in our daily lives.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Or wood chisels for carving Bekin
Old 09-16-2023, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Posting Pictures, Stickers and Gifs USCAS 110(1)

I use Tenor for Posting Pictures, Stickers and Gifs.

I put my pointer over and left click and click "copy image address"

Then at Postimages, I paste my image address of the cats hugging click the Upload ULR
Post image in box

Tick upload
Then click cop of the Direct Link (the blue box)
Post on SR by clicking this icon

A box will pop up

paste the ULR you copied from Postimsge in the ULR box and hit the green OK button
Wa-La this is what I get. You can adjust size as size info is at the bottom of the meme.

Old 09-16-2023, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope this helps. Any Questions Five feel free to ask.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep I have a chainsaw and wood chisel. Carving might be a bit beyond me but I still enjoy cutting wood.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good stuff, thanks Zencat.

Let's see if I can figure it out.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Yep I have a chainsaw and wood chisel. Carving might be a bit beyond me but I still enjoy cutting wood.
It is not beyond you by any means. Sometimes I have to stretch myself beyond my perceived limitations in art to find my strengths. Start small! Right. You don't have to carve a 10' bear! Have you seen wood-carved bears? I saw one in Big Bear CA one time while vacationing up there. That's OUTSTANDING stuff man. In art, I make stuff that reveals hidden aspects of me materialized in my art. I can use art as a means of self-discovery. Make something creative, stand back, and marvel at what you can do that you did not think you could.

At any rate, push the creativity out of you one way or the other. Woodworking might be the right fit. Look into that more and let me know what you find. I made ridiculous-looking birdhouses once with garish paint graphics. Assembling the little house was fun too. A cubist birdhouse would be a fun project
Old 09-17-2023, 04:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Quote-Te-O Time
Old 09-17-2023, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Those bears are cool ZC. I see them often in mountain towns. I would love to add some art and creativity to my existence. Like the thread on boredom in the Newcomers today, there's never enough time! I go to town to get local honey for my tea and the shop has these cool eclectic bird-houses that they sell from a local artist. 🐦
Old 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool

Day 384 sober and free.

Moving the body more and doing stuff like never before.

Computer issues to fix. Sell the stupid Chrombook to another sucker like me for buying the crap pc it in the first place. The thing has a glitch with charging. Bought a replacement charger to fix the problem. Nope wasted that money Bought a smaller laptop to replace the Chrombook temporary, more $$$ spent I do not have . Will sell it after I upgrade the ram for a better resale cash, (. Survival is not easy when the money is scarce. Gots to do what I got to do, I feel better already. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ Justified!!!..LOL .
Old 09-17-2023, 09:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
Those bears are cool ZC. I see them often in mountain towns. I would love to add some art and creativity to my existence. Like the thread on boredom in the Newcomers today, there's never enough time! I go to town to get local honey for my tea and the shop has these cool eclectic bird-houses that they sell from a local artist. 🐦
I have to lookup electric birdhouses.because that sounds some weird jive I would like Cools stuff Five.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

On Etsy for $980.00

Old 09-17-2023, 01:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

SR PSA Learning New Tools

Humility

Humbleness, or humility is perhaps an under-rated virtue. It sounds like a very Biblical trait. Indeed, many of the great religious leaders have been described (and celebrated) as humble.

However, just because humility is old-fashioned does not mean that it is no longer important.

This page explains more about the meaning of humility, and how it is an important part of developing self-esteem, self-worth, and assertiveness, without aggression or anger.

What is Humility?

humility, n. the state or quality of being humble: lowliness of mind: modesty

humble, adj. low: lowly: modest: unpretentious: having a low opinion of oneself

Chambers English Dictionary, 1988 edition
These definitions make humility sound like a very negative quality. But humility, as practised by the great religious leaders, was not negative. Their opinions of themselves were low only in the sense that they understood that they were not more important than others. They also understood that they were not less important than others, either. Jesus, for example, was not afraid to fight for his right to speak out for others, especially those who were poor and struggling, and he spoke to those in authority in exactly the same way as he spoke to everyone else.

In other words, humility is not being a ‘doormat’, and allowing people to walk all over you.

Instead, it is an understanding that every human is equally valuable: a recognition that you are worth no more or less than anyone else.

Why does humility matter?

One of the reasons why humility seems old-fashioned is that we are often made to feel that we need to look out for ourselves, because nobody else will do so.
“It’s a dog-eat-dog world, you know!”This point of view suggests that you need to be aggressive to get what you need in life, which, along with pride, is perhaps the very opposite of humility.

Assertiveness, however, argue that it is more appropriate to be assertive: to be able to stand up for yourself and others, putting your point of view calmly.

Assertiveness is very definitely compatible with humility: it recognises that everyone has an equal right to be heard, and enables everyone to put their point across. Indeed, it is quite possible to argue that not only is assertiveness compatible with humility, but humility is absolutely essential for developing assertiveness.

In other words, without a recognition that you are no more or less important than others, it is impossible to recognise that everyone has an equal right to be heard or, indeed, to listen to others openly.

What about the fit between humility and self-esteem?

Self-esteem is how you feel about yourself. Our definition says that humility is ‘having a low opinion of oneself’, which is clearly closely linked to self-esteem. Being humble, however, does not mean having a poor opinion of yourself, but rather accepting yourself and your many good qualities, as well as your limitations, recognising that others also have good qualities and are equally valuable.

Developing Humility

For many of us, humility is one of the hardest traits to develop, because it has to start from a recognition that you are not always right, and that you do not have all the answers.

It also requires an acceptance of yourself which many of us find challenging.

It is relatively easy to be humble when you are at the bottom of the tree, as it were: new in a job, or very junior. The more senior you get, however, the more likely you are to have people looking to you for answers, and the more you find yourself believing that you can help.

If you are not careful, you can reach senior positions—just the moment at which you most need humility—believing that you are more or less infallible.

To try to cultivate humility, you may want to try one or more of these activities:
  • Spend time listening to others

A key quality of humbleness is to value others and enable them to be heard. Spending time listening to others, and drawing out their feelings and values, enabling them to express themselves, is a very powerful way to start to understand this.

It is important to remember that you are not trying to solve their problems, or answer them: just listen and respond to them as a fellow-human.
    • Practice mindfulness, and focus on the present

A key part of mindfulness is accepting what is, rather than judging and commenting on it. An important element of humility is accepting yourself with all your faults, rather than judging yourself for your shortcomings. That doesn’t mean you should not strive to improve, but positively, rather than berating yourself for your negative qualities.
      • Be grateful for what you have

In other words, take the time to ‘count your blessings’, and be thankful for them. It is easy to get sucked into a negative spiral of wanting more, whether in yourself, or externally. Taking time to stop, and remember what you have to be grateful for, is a good way to cultivate a more humble, and positive, frame of mind.
        • Ask for help when you need it

There is, as many of us will ruefully recognise, a form of pride that lies in being able to solve our own problems. Humility, therefore, lies in recognising when we need help, and being able to ask for it appropriately.to identify how to ask for help without losing a sense of equality.
          • Seek feedback from others on a regular basis

This is, perhaps, particularly important for leaders, but we can all gain from hearing what others think of us. Take time to ask others to provide feedback, anonymously if necessary, and make it clear that you welcome their opinions. Listen to the feedback openly and then be grateful.

Pride and arrogance, which also cover smugness, snobbery, and vanity, are unpleasant words. It can sometimes be hard to avoid feeling a bit proud of ourselves, or vain, or even snobbish. It is often quite pleasant to feel like that, for example, if we have done something good, and everyone is praising us. However, we tend not to call these feelings by name, because the words themselves carry negative connotations.

To cultivate humility, review your feelings against the words: ask yourself ‘was that snobbish?’, ‘was I being a bit vain then?’, and be honest about the answers. Recognising and naming these feelings for what they are is a good step towards humility.

• https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/humility.html
          • U.S. Copyright Act Section 110(1)
Old 09-17-2023, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"There is, as many of us will ruefully recognise, a form of pride that lies in being able to solve our own problems. Humility, therefore, lies in recognising when we need help, and being able to ask for it appropriately.to identify how to ask for help without losing a sense of equality.

"Seek feedback from others on a regular basis"

Good one for me to remember
(SR Bookmark #30)