Notices

Class of March 2023 Part 1

Old 03-03-2023, 05:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

What about food, dear ST? Do you have groceries in the house? And are there any meals you make that you can do in advance? I found that if I had things prepared or cooked, it was easier to break my 5 pm wine o clock trigger. s

Old 03-03-2023, 05:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Welcome! So glad to see you Citrus, erratic, Tica, offthemast, TakeAction, Runner, Zencat, Tetrax, RAL, and Sobertoday!

For me, the understanding that ALCOHOL LIES TO ME was the beginning of my true peace. It took more than just understanding that, of course. And it took me several months of sobriety to have the understanding dawn. But once I was able to see the BS illusion of peace that I was faithfully, fatally drooling after, I stopped wanting it.

Initially the peace that drug/alcohol use granted seemed real. It touched my spirit. It made me rest, relax, take ease. It took away my discomfort with myself and the world around me. But it is an indiscriminate taker, and soon it was taking away parts of me that I held dear.

Sobriety was difficult because I had learned to long for illusion. When I plugged into a spiritual practice (AA is my jam) I saw REAL peace. REAL freedom and comfort. The desire to drink/use remains at bay so long as I work on staying in tune with that spirit. Not everyone has to use the same program, but it works for me in a way that is difficult to describe.

If anyone would like to talk more about that, I would be happy to communicate!
Old 03-03-2023, 05:47 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Hey Marchers thought I’d hop onboard. Closing out Day 7 and looking forward to a sober weekend. Stay strong everyone x
Old 03-03-2023, 05:49 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Offthemast day 17 sober, keep on rolling along there. F1
Tica, I have no ice cream advice because I can eat it nonstop. However it looks like you have a good wellness plan going. Nice job!
Citrus, self-care time is good for you. Stick with us here a SR, we'll help you
Erratic, F1? I'll be watching the race. I'm a old school motorhead and have petrol flowing through my veins
Runner, sending some good vibes your way.
Hi Tetax
Sober54, having a wellness plan of action of my choice keeps me sober without a doubt. Good on you.

When I try to lift someone's spirits, I am lifted as well. Give it away to get it, It really works!
Hi Dee Suze Anna
Old 03-03-2023, 05:50 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Useless pathetic person that I am.

Yesterday i made the decision to drink and still drinking. God it's an awful thing to do. X
RAL you are not useless or pathetic. You are perfectly human and you will be ok. We are here for you x
Old 03-03-2023, 06:09 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Useless pathetic person that I am.

Yesterday i made the decision to drink and still drinking. God it's an awful thing to do. X
Echoing Mish—you are neither of those things, love.

Thursday night seems to be your hardest obstacle and your biggest trigger. We just need to find ways to help you past this hurdle. And we will do it together. s ❤️
Old 03-03-2023, 06:37 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hey all! Just dropping in to say hi.
Stay strong everyone. Sober weekends are the best!!
Old 03-03-2023, 07:08 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Zencat, ice cream is the best right? We were right as children to run outside for the ice cream truck. I just know I’d be seeing much lower numbers on my scale if I cut back on it. I exercise, almost everyday, lift weights, yoga, drink lots of water 💦 green tea 🍵, vegetables, supplements, intermittent fast most days but I love ice cream and coffee as my nightly treat. Finding lower calorie single serving treats is my goal for this week.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:17 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Ice cream and coffee at night would mean no sleep for me, just saying.

But it sounds like you might just need to cut back a little, dear Tica. Not too much. You are doing great!!!

And hi Sam.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:18 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

And hi, dear Zen, and all of you. s ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
Old 03-03-2023, 09:22 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks guys. I'm really embarrassed and ashamed now. your'e right suze-thurs nights are just so triggering. I'm ok now. apart from loss of days and embarrassment no harm done -to anyone else I mean. Not that I'm making light of it of course please don't think that. Anyway. Tomorrow will be day 1 as I drank after midnight. Thanks to you all.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:29 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I know it is easy for me to say, but try not to be embarrassed. This is simply a hurdle you need to get over to make your life the place you want it to be.

If it were me, I would change up Thursdays. I would make dinner for Thursday night earlier, so I could just pop it out of the freezer or whatever, and I would make sure that was not my grocery day, if possible.
And perhaps there is something you can start on a Thursday evening that would be fun for you. Do you like jigsaw puzzles (I have forgotten, sorry). But if you do, that would be a great night to grab Jr RAL or Mr RAL, and start a big jigsaw puzzle, and have dessert together, or hot chocolate, or tea and biscuits.

And I understand how you feel, but you haven't had a drink today, so you are sober in my books. ❤️
Old 03-03-2023, 09:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi all.
I had a really hard time falling asleep last night. I ended up getting almost 5 hours in, but have been foggy all morning. It's also pretty dreary outside so it is a bit hard to pep up.

Glad to be going into the weekend sober.
It has been 20 weeks today since my son passed. That is so surreal.

Going to listen to some sober podcasts and knit a little until my other boys get home from school. I think we may actually be free of plans for the weekend which is a really nice change.

♥️
Old 03-03-2023, 10:09 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

And maybe some nice music, love. s ❤️🧡💛💚
Old 03-03-2023, 11:50 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi RAL, not everyone here will agree, but in the past on days like that (drinking after midnight) I’d go through the day and as long as I make it to bed sober I’d say to myself I’ve made a day one. It just made me feel better as if I had gotten out the blocks again.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:56 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobertoday54 View Post
Good morning everyone. I have been working on a plan (I’ve never had one before).
1. Alcohol is poison
2. I cannot drink anymore. Moderation does not fit me.
3. Good health will follow-not drinking will lead to eating better, which woll
lead to wanting to exercise more. Energy will
follow.
4. I will be grateful for all victories - big and small.
5. I will come here to stay accountable.
A very succinct and inspiring plan, well-expressed.

Old 03-03-2023, 01:11 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Until recently i never understood the concept of working on your sobriety , like how the hell do you do that ? I call it being actively sober now , just thinking about it every day , never letting your guard down and reminding yourself of what will happen if you start drinking again. In my case it's a very useful tool because i am not a functioning alcoholic , i am a street junky when it comes to alcohol , my first waking thought is alcohol and a bottle of vodka is right next to my bed , i literally spend every waking moment chasing the booze and planning on how am i going to get it tomorrow too. So it's actually easy to terrify myself by just remembering myself of those moments and reminding myself that there is no other path but that one if i ever go back to drinking again. That is my way of staying actively sober , working on those thoughts every single day.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:24 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

If I were you, Laz, I would print that out and stick it on the fridge. ❤️
Old 03-03-2023, 01:38 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks Suze and Captain Haddock
Citrus I'm thinking of you but have no idea what you are going through, I'm so sorry x
Old 03-03-2023, 01:45 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

@venuscat haha probably a good idea , but i don't think my family members would feel comfortable reading that before opening the fridge every morning