Notices

Class of February 2023 part 2

Old 02-20-2023, 04:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
Ouch, that sounds painful offthemast

I had some similar symptoms that would also go away when I drank. A throbbing in my right side. It would flare up for a few weeks when I'd stop drinking. I don't know specifically what it was but I'm not having any problems now after 50 days. I gotta get in for a full checkup at some point.
I ignored random pains in my back n side the last few years. Check Engine Lights if you will. The stomach pain finally got me though. Doc says it will heal but not if I drink. Luckily everything else (liver, bloodwork) checks out. Just have to let this heal.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congrats on your 8 days imtehaan
congrats on day 50 LazaB - glad it was a good day

Congrats on day 15 Lillian!
way to go on 141 Runner!
Good to see you Mariah - congrats on 19 days
congrats on day 76 TA!

hi ZB, Oglsby TC FiveTries Samwitch and RAL - sorry Mr RAL is getting cold feet but you and Master RAL always seem to have a good time - enjoy
Thank you so much Dee
Old 02-20-2023, 06:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 51. I’m so triggered by my family more than anything. My job, my husband drinking every night those are triggers but my family is the worst trigger. I’ve always worked hard and been different from my family. I see now how hateful and unloving they are, especially while my mom is in her final days. It’s all about money and who’s gotten how much and how much will they get. I want to walk away, I don’t want anything. I’ll walk away with my sanity.

On a much more positive note, for my 50th day alcohol free and my friend who quit with me, we went hiking yesterday at a beautiful creek with my husband and her two children. She was an amazing tour guide and we got some serious exercise hiking up steep terrain.

Being sober requires strong roots, and also knowing when to cut some branches. As hard as it is to avoid my family while my mom is so ill, I got to cut those branches. I said what I needed to say and just walk away. Surround myself with the right people who are good for my sobriety and mental health.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tica2023 View Post
Checking in on day 51. I’m so triggered by my family more than anything. My job, my husband drinking every night those are triggers but my family is the worst trigger. I’ve always worked hard and been different from my family. I see now how hateful and unloving they are, especially while my mom is in her final days. It’s all about money and who’s gotten how much and how much will they get. I want to walk away, I don’t want anything. I’ll walk away with my sanity.

On a much more positive note, for my 50th day alcohol free and my friend who quit with me, we went hiking yesterday at a beautiful creek with my husband and her two children. She was an amazing tour guide and we got some serious exercise hiking up steep terrain.

Being sober requires strong roots, and also knowing when to cut some branches. As hard as it is to avoid my family while my mom is so ill, I got to cut those branches. I said what I needed to say and just walk away. Surround myself with the right people who are good for my sobriety and mental health.
Congratulations Tica on your 50th day alcohol free . Well done on getting good exercise with hiking . As you said , we must surround ourselves with the right people who are good for our sobriety and mental health. Sorry to know about your mother's situation . We all have to go through this during our lifetimes . Just hang in there .You will get the strength to get through the difficult times. Keep posting on SR whenever , you need any support . There is a lot available here, always .
Old 02-20-2023, 09:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats Tica!! 50+ days is awesome. Your body and mind are healing ✨️

End of Day 463 - Ran 12.2 kms in 85 minutes, my longest run to date. Had a good dinner and off to sleep. Congrats to all milestones today. Good night from windy drizzly Seattle.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
RAL

Morning all

Congrats on 1 week OTM 😊

It’s good to read your physical health has improved in 50 days Five. Inspiring for us all.

Congrats on day 51 Tica. I know many of us on SR have walked away from family for our sanity. It’s not selfish but self preservation.

I love this site and this thread for all the fabulous support, advice and wonderful words of wisdom.

Thanks Suze for your words -first things I read this morning and left me with a ray of hope and optimism.

Thanks Dee-yes we always do have fun and holidaying alone with Jr RAL is great. Many lovely memories to look back on. He’s 14 soon so won’t be long before holidays with mummy will be long gone!! I’ll make the most of it.

Really excited now and calm. I know I won’t drink and the fear of temptation has left me. That’s not to say I won’t be cautious of course as in a restaurant I recognise there will be temptation and I know how immediate and intense it can be. In sMART we’ve been doing about the difference between triggers (an event, physical of emotional), a craving( I want to drink) and an urge( I need to drink now, an intense physical need) which has been very helpful.

Day 27. I have lost 8kg since my last drink on 25th January. Lowest I’ve been in years. I have been eating pretty decently tbf, loads of protein, reduced carbs (mostly!) My face is less bloated, skin smoother, sleep so so much better. And that’s not even starting on the mental benefits. Anyway I’m thinking if I feel this good after nearly a month how will I be after 6 months. I’ve done it before but when younger. Everything is more difficult and slower now older, weight loss etc. Onwards we must go 😊
Old 02-21-2023, 03:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
RAL

My aunt is about to die. Expected and a blessing as she is very ill and very old. How crazy tho and annoying the AV Is rearing its head. Oh have glass of wine for her. Raise a glass. You're on holiday too it's perfect timing. Jeez it's 11am. Really not having a good day
Old 02-21-2023, 03:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

RAL. Sorry to hear about your aunt. Sending you strength to get through.

Pledging for today. Day 142.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=RAL;7906734 In sMART we’ve been doing about the difference between triggers (an event, physical of emotional)[/QUOTE]

Hi RAL,
From your above,
yes, I've blown periods of sobriety by relapsing over an event.
Usually an emotional thing, like how AV is bothering you regarding your aunt.
Then combining it with a vacation you start thinking why not?
You've done a great job in getting to over 50 days.
You've proved that you don't need the alcohol to get through this.
A glass of wine will do way more damage than good.
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt's downturn.
Hang in there, you will make it through this.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks guys. Still at work. Wont even get to hotel till after 7pm. Will check in later
Old 02-21-2023, 05:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Good morning!

I had a lovely little weekend with my family (worked 1/2 day on Sunday and yesterday’s federal holiday off). I took my littles hiking at a gorgeous, “out in the middle of nowhere” rock formation Sunday afternoon. Then we grabbed some tea at a local cafe and played Hide-And-Seek at a massive park. My husband met us in a nearby town for dinner and the new Antman movie, and I had so much fun! Real fun! Kids’ laughter is a lovely soundtrack for life.

I am occasionally awestruck by the GRACE of my HP. I wasn’t spared from the misery of addiction to sweat and suffer and fester in tepid sobriety. I was freely given a horizon of opportunity as broad as my vision. I am free.

What a gift!!!

Old 02-21-2023, 06:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAL View Post
My aunt is about to die. Expected and a blessing as she is very ill and very old. How crazy tho and annoying the AV Is rearing its head. Oh have glass of wine for her. Raise a glass. You're on holiday too it's perfect timing. Jeez it's 11am. Really not having a good day
I just finished reading your post about how far you've come since Jan 23rd. What a beautiful post!!

I am very sorry about your aunt love. s
And this is another trigger, and I think your SMART stuff will work here, as well. xxx ❤️
Old 02-21-2023, 06:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
Good morning!

I had a lovely little weekend with my family (worked 1/2 day on Sunday and yesterday’s federal holiday off). I took my littles hiking at a gorgeous, “out in the middle of nowhere” rock formation Sunday afternoon. Then we grabbed some tea at a local cafe and played Hide-And-Seek at a massive park. My husband met us in a nearby town for dinner and the new Antman movie, and I had so much fun! Real fun! Kids’ laughter is a lovely soundtrack for life.

I am occasionally awestruck by the GRACE of my HP. I wasn’t spared from the misery of addiction to sweat and suffer and fester in tepid sobriety. I was freely given a horizon of opportunity as broad as my vision. I am free.

What a gift!!!
Your life is absolutely beautiful, dear TC. ❤️❤️
Old 02-21-2023, 11:05 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks everyone for all support. Quick check in. 7.05pm.in hotel bar. Jr ral eating snack. I'm in a smart meeting on my phone drinking water. All good x
Old 02-21-2023, 11:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good to hear, love. s
Old 02-21-2023, 11:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi all - just checking in on day 49. I haven't checked in with the group in a few days but am still doing well. Excited to celebrate 50 days tomorrow. I am also excited to see so many milestones being reached by our group as a whole!

Work is super stressful right now but all in all, things are going pretty well. I'm down 7 lbs over the last 49 days, been working out regularly again and am working on developing some hobbies to occupy my free time.

RAL - I'm sorry about your aunt. Stay strong and don't cave though! Drinking will not help alleivate your stress whatsoever! Well done on hitting a meeting!!

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday! I've got an online meeting I plan to attend tonight and this is my weight lifting day on myworkout calendar. Gonna get a good workout in while watching a movie on Netflix

I'm commited to 24 more and won't be picking up that first drink today.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry for your aunt RAL….but how lowdown is that AV, using your aunt to try and get you to drink again. Disgusting.

pay that cheap weaselly opportunist no mind.

D

Old 02-21-2023, 12:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great going BassetDog
congrats to you and everybody else hitting a milestone today
Old 02-21-2023, 12:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Mid day check in

RAL sorry to hear about your aunt. Nice job on not drinking.

I'm feeling much better today than I did over the weekend. We went to a BBQ on Saturday. My wife got fairly drunk, that was something to see. My friends were all drinking pretty heavily too.

It's too bad people had to see me out there drunk so many times. My wife and kids too. Ugh.

No AV activity for me. I am looking out for any ideas I need to squash after the fact, but so far I haven't noticed anything. Alcohol holds no appeal at this time.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks Dee that's such a great way of looking at it