Notices

One Year & Over Part 90

Old 02-02-2023, 10:12 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

FBL, my last car was a 2012 Toyota Corolla and I loved it. Best car I ever owned. . I sold it cause I needed the money badly and was afraid to drive anymore, it made me too nervous to drive.

I'm going to be up all night again, I can tell. The itching is so awful I can't relax a bit. See my doctor Friday and have a list of questions for him.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:17 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

It’s good to get a car that’s reliable and happy with. My first car was a Austin Mini. I loved it, but I think I would’ve loved any car just to have wheels.

Least, your doctor may not be able to help so much with the itching, except for creams, which I think you’ve tried and they’ve not helped much sadly. But hopefully he may be able to chase up your appointment with the immunologist you’ve been referred to. Hope he can help with your other probs.

MIL’s groceries are being delivered today. Some days I struggle with her Alzheimers. Most days actually. I know she’s lonely since Fil died, she relied on him for everything. I’d love to make it all better but I can’t , so I do what I can. Sigh.

Have a good day my friends. xxxx
Old 02-03-2023, 01:56 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Those old Toyotas can run forever with basic maintenance. My son is driving an 2004 Camry, which despite burning a little oil, gets him to work and school cheaply. The price of used cars is nearly that of new cars. It's why people are holding onto their cars longer and longer.

Least, I can't imagine how annoying the itching must be.

Mags, that is a difficult situation. I have elderly parents and am worried about them hitting this stage shortly.

Have a good day all!
Old 02-03-2023, 02:58 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Another cool thing about my current car, I bought it in July of 2009 (less than a month after I got sober), so I've never driven it drunk!

I'd like to get some input from my fellow overs on this one...A friend of mine with 2+ years in recovery confessed that she had one glass of wine the other night. Her MIL had just passed away and she joined her family in a farewell toast. Wine was her DOC, but she insists that it was just the one and that her recovery means that she should be free to make that choice. I'm trying not to judge her, but I must admit that it made me a bit uncomfortable. I've often thought that it would be no big deal if I just had one beer, then I remember that I could NEVER have just one beer. It's her life and she can do as she pleases. I guess I should be grateful that her having a drink reinforced my decision not to have one. Or something like that...

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 02-03-2023, 05:50 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

FBL I think she is taking a risk and setting a precedent. I feel she was listening to her AV. What's to say that the next time there is a toast or some other spurious reason, she won't drink again? I absolutely would not risk my own recovery in that way. She is right it is her choice, but I feel very strong,y she made the wrong one.

Least, I certainly don't have your issues, but I do have a night time itching/ burning situation where my neck shoulders and arms cause me problems. I've found using a haemorrhoid cream helps as it has a local anaesthetic. As a last resort I keep ice pack in the freezer and use them, they seem to deaden the nerves. Not sure if any of that is remotely feasible in your circumstances.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:26 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I managed to get an hour of sleep but the itching woke me up. . Maybe he can refer me to another allergist since the first one isn't available right now.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:35 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

FBL, I agree that she is taking a huge risk. I tried that the last time and found that after one, the next is sadly much easier and we all know where that goes. Not much you can do except be grateful that you aren’t in her shoes.

Mags, it’s a long haul taking care of an ailing parent. Hang in and know that you aren’t alone.

Least, I hope you can find relief from that itching!

Hi SG!

Have a good TGIF to all
Old 02-03-2023, 01:45 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

That’s tough, FBL…hopefully she won’t relapse. She’s lucky to have you as a friend.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:45 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

FBL, usually in recovery we don’t have that one drink. Hope it doesn’t send her spiralling down the slippery slope.

Thanks Sassy.

Just fancy some porridge. With a dollop of honey.

Have a good day my friends xxxx

Old 02-03-2023, 11:01 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't do what your friend did FBL.
D

Old 02-03-2023, 11:14 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Dee, that’s a very good, non-judgmental way of putting it. Wish I were able to express myself more that way.

Well, the deep freeze has hit here! It’s now -13 F and is expected to go down to -16 F in a couple of hours. Our heating system can’t keep up with that but so far it’s ok for me: 64 F inside instead of the usual 70. Not toasty but I will be happy if it doesn’t get worse.

For anyone else having icy weather, stay warm!

Have a good day to all
Old 02-03-2023, 11:33 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Morning overs

not checked in here for a while so thought I'd just pop in and wish you all a great weekend.

Mags, sorry about your MIL, altzheimers is a very cruel disease, and difficult to witness, please make sure you look after yourself as well.

Hope the itching has calmed for you Least.

Saskia, thats not pleasant, stay warm and safe indoors if you can.

FBL, as you say we can't judge but I'm with the majority in that for me I think it would be a Slippery slope into convincing myself I was in control and we all know where that leads.

Day 400 today for me, laying in bed with a cuppa while everyone else is asleep! Loving the peace and quiet while it lasts.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:25 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congrats on 400 BB! Sounds like you've given yourself a nice wee treat!

No golf today, instead I'm going with hubby and gson to watch gsons team play football in an away match. I love my golf..... I love my gson more!
Old 02-04-2023, 01:22 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

FBL, I am pretty sure if I reactivated my AV by having one drink, it would be all over once again. The neural rewiring of our brains that happens during addiction never fades away. It just lies dormant waiting for the proper stimulus (alcohol) to kick it back to life. Life is easier with my brain not screaming for a drink 24/7. I hope your friend turns out ok.

Sassy, that is dangerously cold. We are around 25 degrees warmer than you and that is still cold.

Enjoy the match toots!

Have a good day all!
Old 02-04-2023, 03:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I let her know of my concerns, but I also offered my continued support. Guess that's all I can really do. I'm so grateful that I have zero desire to have even one drink. My life is so much better without it!

Have a Wonderful Weekend, overs!
Old 02-04-2023, 05:17 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Sounds like an excellent approach, FBL. I hope she can avoid further temptation.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:52 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

FBL - think you handled that well with your friend to let her know that your door is open. Learning that I can’t drink is expensive and I’ve paid that price many times and know I can’t afford it any more. But as a many time drop out until I finally make it , including sobriety, I can’t criticize others.

it’s so hard to recognize that internal voice isn’t you and doesn’t have your best interest in mind….

I logged in today when I saw the weather for our northern friends. Hoping you all stay safe!

saskia - sending you strength. Being a parent is the hardest job in the world - you have to wear your heart outside your body and risk it getting hurt in incredible ways. And the work never stops - if anything bigger kids > bigger problems…..

Only advice - do what you can feel good about and keep your emotions based on that, boundaries for the rest - you can’t control people. I know you know that but sometimes I need a mantra that I can murmur to myself to keep the path. That and I think the job of a parent is have your door open for when they want to do their own work. Forgiveness is to love (when the time comes)

of course my oldest is 5 and I can’t stand parent advice from know it all parents, so take that all with a grain of salt. Mostly - please take care of yourself!!!! My kids scream at me most when I’m doing what I need to do most for their benefit

speaking of which, SisK is experimenting with being a full on terror. Everyday this week I’ve had to pick her up from school for hurting a teacher or another student. We will figure it out but wow! Kids can do so much to sabatoge themselves!

In other silly news, SisK got a stomach bug and threw up 16 times in 2 days. Durinf one episode BB got interested while I was cleaning up a mess and went to the potty with vomit, stuck his hands in it, then say me coming and quickly stuck his vomit potty water hands into his own mouth, knowingly being mischievous. Cue another round of sick kids. Uh!!!!!!!! Ha ha. So gross….

happy weekend overs!
Old 02-04-2023, 12:31 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Oh wow Serene, you seem to be earning your stripes as a parent. Kudos to you for stepping up and hacking through the tough times.

FBL, sounds like you did what you could with your friend. I hope she continues sober. I did have a sip of communion wine at a dear friend's funeral and that was the only time I have had alcohol since quitting. I did accidentally buy a 12 pack of beer a couple of days ago. I thought it was non alcoholic but it isn't. I will be returning it today.

Well I'm off to return the beer and buy game hens for a family dinner tomorrow night.

Onward into the breach my friends.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:04 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

Congratulations on 400+ days

SE, hope SiSK and BB are soon better from their stomach bug. I hope SisK’s phase passes, must be exhausting for her and family.

Have a good day my friends xxxx

Old 02-05-2023, 01:50 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning, all. It’s a “balmy” 13 F here right now. My heat is keeping up

SE, excellent parenting advice. It is never over! Sorry SisK is giving you such a hard time and BB sounds mischievous.

BB, 400 is a lovely round number - congrats!

Hi Toots, SG, FBL, Bekind, Suze and everyone