Notices

Class of January 2023 Part 2

Old 01-20-2023, 07:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Happy Friday all!
Yesterday was a very trying day, but I got through it and feel much better, and way less anxious today. I am so glad I made myself show up and do all the things yesterday which included a presentation and a very long day of client meetings, where I had to be completely on point. And a myriad of responsibilities last night.
Really just life.
This is me now, navigating life without a drug as a crutch, alcohol is no longer a solution(as if it ever was.)

I appreciate all the support and the ideas for mitigating my anxiety issues, thank you all.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:11 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

TGIF SR!

Quickly checking and committing to my sobriety on day 45.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Happy Friday all! Checking in on day 16. Trying week for me is in terms of stress as I had a ton of work meetings. SR, online AA and SMART meetings, and exercise really helped me through it. I know it would have been twice as stressful if I had been drinking. I’m so happy I stuck to my resolve.

I hope everyone has a good Friday. For anyone entertaining the idea of drinking tonight, just play that tape and think how awful you’ll feel tomorrow when you wake up hungover!

I am committed to 24 more. I won’t be picking up that 1st drink today.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
Happy Friday all! Checking in on day 16. Trying week for me is in terms of stress as I had a ton of work meetings. SR, online AA and SMART meetings, and exercise really helped me through it. I know it would have been twice as stressful if I had been drinking. I’m so happy I stuck to my resolve.

I hope everyone has a good Friday. For anyone entertaining the idea of drinking tonight, just play that tape and think how awful you’ll feel tomorrow when you wake up hungover!

I am committed to 24 more. I won’t be picking up that 1st drink today.
Totally with you on the knowing it would have been twice as stressful if drinking and I like your reminder to play the tape forward.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on Day 18 Renegade and 104 RunnerF

also try posting here before you drink ishallnotwant - SR works!

dinner sounds great Bobbieka!

Hope your neck pain goes away soon TC, and also your anxiety Sam

Hope everyone is gearing up for a great sober weekend

D
Old 01-20-2023, 04:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Checking-in. Hi class

My NA clean time key tags

I've been reading a lot through SR. Sometimes it's good just to read reflect, lot of good stuff to learn here. I think that's the whole purpose of being in recovery is to learn something new everyday. Not a bad practice in life to improve on one area somewhere somehow even if it's just a little bit. Seems to make life all the worthwhile when I try to make my condition just a little bit better each day and hopefully help somebody along the way.

Having to deal with stress is difficult. Best way I found is to go through it and know that you'll come out the other side all the better because if you can make it through a big stressful difficult situation it's time for congratulations. Nice booster self esteem doing things that are difficult and coming out the other side tore up a bit but at least sober and successful one way or another. It may not be pretty to go through stress' I know I had to sweat a lot, get shaky get rid of all that self-conscious stuff about Oh my Buddha I must look horrible. The more stressed you go through successfully sober the easier it is to overcome for me at least. I think you get a little bit of practice you realize it's not permanent it will pass. Anyhow that's my take on things, mindfulness helps during times of stress even some grounding can help get your little more balanced. But it's practice going through stress sober is what matters.

Suze the poet, dancing Anna and strumming Dee, hi guys
Old 01-20-2023, 05:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend Zen
D
Old 01-20-2023, 06:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Finishing up Day 2. Thank you for the encouragement! My mind starting leaning toward a drink late this afternoon, but I came on SR and read many threads and the thoughts of drinking faded away. Had a good dinner, a long telephone call with my sister and then about 3 episodes of Blacklist. Such a great show, but no discussions about it because it would so ruin it for anyone who hasn’t seen it. Thank you all for being here
Old 01-20-2023, 10:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

End of Day 432 - 8 kms (Rowing + Running). Had a good dinner and off to bed. Good night from Seattle. Stay strong all.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good morning all day 3 here for me. Enjoy your
day x
Old 01-21-2023, 02:45 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Pledging for today. Day 111. Making it, so far, through a weekend that 16 weeks ago would have been a hangover laden anxiety fest. Dinner out with family, usually would have drank way too much, and daughter’s baby shower tomorrow. MIL and friends in for weekend so triggers there. Drinking thoughts have been there but have been able to not drink. Building the sobriety muscles. I will be content if that’s the extent of my workout this weekend.

Thinking of all of you here and hoping you all have a peaceful and serene day.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:56 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday!
. Runner- good morning to my fellow 62 year old.
Calm- 432 days? NICE!
TC- hope that neck pain subsides. A hot compress maybe?
Misst and Ishall- nice work, hang in there, it gets better!
Bobbie- dinner and games with family is the best.
Tetrax- 20 days, you rock!
Basset-, Sam and Fivetries- I sympathize with the work stress. Staying off the booze and excersize is the best medicine for that. So glad I'm retired, I spent 40 years in space and defense industry, I know about stress!

My daughter was off from work yesterday so we went to a nice Thai restaurant for lunch.
When I got home I had some radio parts in the mail that I ordered.
I'm a ham operator and there's some projects I'm working on.
I'll sit in my radio shack today and drink tea and do some soldering.
To all, a nice day.

PS: no I don't want to see the wine list today!
Old 01-21-2023, 03:54 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey Runner,
. At 111days, I think your w/e will go well.
I do understand that with the out of town company and baby shower and all, there will be some triggers, but I think you got this.
You will get thru this, I'll keep you in today's prayers.
Just remember, nobody wants a drunken grandpa!
Old 01-21-2023, 04:11 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 3. Rainy and cool here today, but that’s ok—have a lot of things that need to be done around the house today. I’ve been working on decluttering a large closet and that’s my project for today. Will exercise for 30 minutes and then a meeting this afternoon.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:26 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

ZB88. Thanks for your kind thoughts and support. Yes nobody, especially me, likes a drunken grandpa. Enjoy your ham radio project. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I still have a work life. Family business that is so dysfunctional that it is functional even after 65 years of ownership. Challenging generational transitions have been going on for past 20 years but now seems to be in a good place but you never know.

Have a great day.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:02 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Hello, everyone!
Thanks for the well wishes! My neck started feeling much better on Thursday evening, and I'm back to business as usual.

Snow in the forecast for today, so that will be beautiful. I'm off to work, my kids are running to various sports practices, and my husband is taking his mom to the KC Chiefs' playoff game in Kansas City! I'm excited for them - they are both HUGE fans, and my MIL texted us pics of all the tailgate food she'd prepared! She is smart, kind, funny, giving, and accepting. Just the best person (besides my spouse), and I am grateful to have her in my life. When everything fell apart at work and my addiction came to light (almost a year ago, now), she came and stayed with us for 2 weeks. She drove me to meetings, took me on walks, read me inspirational books, and watched mindless movies with me. She LOVED me, and it reminded me that I was worthy of love.

I'm grateful this morning to be remembering that dark period and the light that she lent me. I'd like to shine it for others some day!

Praying that all my friends here know YOU are worthy of love. Hope that your Saturday is sweet and bright! Hope that KC is victorious!

-TC
Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Stopping in to say hello to everyone. I've been super busy, a bit overwhelming, and I played a gig last night in a bar and it was so so so tough! But I got through. I have to do the same tonight and as much as the alcohol desire took me over last night, I stayed strong. I feel like tonight cant get any worse then last night and that's kinda motivating! ha. I know what to expect and I feel ready to shut it down and not let it affect my performance tonight.
I'm gonna crush tonight!
Happy Saturday to everyone. Day 26
Old 01-21-2023, 07:25 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!
Saying hello as well to all.
I'm looking forward to a sober Saturday.

TC-your MIL sounds like a wonderful person! And I'm jealous of the KC playoff tickets, I'm an Eagles fan and will forever love Andy Reid.

Eagles play tonight, I'm excited, hanging out with friends, but I won't drink or be tempted as I have mentioned before, I never liked drinking while watching sports--can't concentrate on the game. Which as an aside it's fairly weird that alcohol goes hand in hand with sporting events, if you think about it that way.

Have a good one all!
Old 01-21-2023, 07:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

21st day is almost over , still very anxious , anxiety is always there , 21 days into this i have not felt completely calm at all , maybe for 15 minutes here and there but very rare , feeling of constant anxiety really sucks the life out of you.
Anyway , can't go back , i have to keep pushing and hoping that it will get easier soon.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:08 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That's a tough environment Chancellor, well done. Have a good gig and stay strong again tonight then maybe you can enjoy a chill Sunday. Day 21 for me, no big issues. Just bought a paper to read at a coffee shop. Not too shabby.