Notices

Class of January 2023 Part 2

Old 01-19-2023, 05:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

bobbie: 100 days is fantastic! I'm re-reading that story in the Big Book this morning. Thanks for your inspiration! Big hugs to you from central Kansas - we love visiting St. Louis (my father-in-law and youngest son are big Cardinals fans)!

takeaction: I'm proud of you for confronting the anxiety. In the past I used substances to try to control it, but they only made it worse. Now I try to think of anxiety kind of like a seasonal allergy....my body getting all freaked out over what it perceives to be a big deal (INVADER/PATHOGEN/ENDOFTHEWORLD), when it's really just a little pollen or the (very human) desire to control an outcome. No need to drink to get through that. For me, a meeting, some reading, meditation, or a nice cup of tea does a better job.

samwitch: I often wonder why exercise feels SO good immediately after you do it, but it's still so difficult to motivate myself to do it. I mean, have you ever regretted exercise? It's almost always good, but it can still be hard to get going. Weird. Good for you for taking the steps necessary to ensure your own success. That is awesome.

oglsby: Thanks for checking in. Glad you are doing well!

fivetries: I hope that the snow isn't too terrible for you. I love snow in theory and in appearance, but I have a new appreciation for the inconvenience it can bring when working outside. Stay warm and grateful. At some point my trudge turned into more of a skip.....that might be just around the corner.

tica: Blah days happen. You have Purpose. I believe our Purpose is irrevocably given to us - no number of mistakes, no amount of negligence, no lack of appreciation in the past can remove it. For me, the only way to find it was to take off the blindfold of substance use. Stay stopped and Purpose will show itself. It is so hard in the beginning, when you are slogging through all of the regrets, to feel like sobriety is a blessing. Keep walking and your feelings can change. AA's 12 Steps are the cornerstone of my sobriety - they are a very effective means of dealing with toxic shame.

zencat: Good to "see" you! Glad that you are feeling better after the PTSD flashback. That sounds horrifying, and I'm really sorry that you have to go through that pain. I'm proud of you for staying sober through the worst of it!

runner: Keep on running with us! Way to go!

bassetdog: I'm glad that you are in part 2, as well. Excellent work recognizing and avoiding triggers. When I have a drinking/using thought (AV) I just say to myself, "Well, that's a silly thought! I know how that works out and it is NOT the solution!" My AV is my younger, less evolved, less informed self. I know better now, so I'm not tempted to return to old, unhelpful tricks.

zenith: So glad that you are experiencing some of the peace of sobriety. It really is lovely.

renegade: Personal record BEAT! That's wonderful! Keep up the good work. Your wife sounds like a beautiful person, and I'm so happy that she's supportive of your recovery efforts. Our loved ones want good things for us! Let's help 'em out!

ishallnotwant: We are here for you. It is so hard at the beginning. I'm glad that you came right back and did some analysis to determine how this can be better avoided. Changing up the work/break schedule sounds like a good step. Question for your own personal reflection: Did the drink help you manage? I tended to romanticize substances as the "solution" when they only provided an incredibly temporary fix followed by hours/days of self-flagellation, anxiety, and regret. Seeing the truth of that cycle was key to ending my belief that alcohol would make things better. You can do this. You are doing it.

Planning a quiet day at home today accomplishing some chores, but I'm also "on call" to work if something comes up. Adventure! Who knows what will be needed of me? Happy to be sober and sound so that I can respond to the needs of others. I am best when I am open and willing to help (this is what I'm saying in my mind, on repeat - I managed to strain my neck carrying some funky shaped, heavy boxes at work yesterday, so a day of upper body rest would be appreciated). Still, the night's rest made a big difference in my discomfort, and sometimes moving more is the way out of pain!?! Right?!

Have a beautiful, sober Thursday, class! I'm sorry if I missed anyone!
Old 01-19-2023, 05:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Renegade - congratulations on beating your personal best! Great job! It's awesome that you are seeing the benefits of an alcohol free life.
Ishallnotwant - here for you. Glad you came right back.
Runner - Have a great day!
zenith - I love that pink cloud feeling. Glad that's where you are.
Hi caramel and dee!
Tica - I hope today is better.
Fivetries - Enjoy the snow! I'm a little jealous. We are having the cold, gloomy rainy days here.
Hey, Zen! Have an awesome day!
Oglsby - great job on 43 days!
Samwitch- great job getting through the anxiety!
TakeAction - I hope the anxiety passed.
Toughchoices - Big Cardinal fan here as well. I hope you enjoy your quiet day.

Had dinner with my mom and my daughter last night and then we played some card games. It was a nice evening. This is the daughter that I hurt so much with my drinking. She was the only one still home when I went down the rabbit hole. When we have fun nights like that, I am so grateful for my sobriety.

"If you think you've blown God's plan for your life, rest in this. You, my beautiful friend, are not that powerful."
Have a great day, everyone!
Old 01-19-2023, 05:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi all-
More anxiety this morning, this is so weird. Again, nothing like when I was drinking so that's a good thing and I'm sure not going to go back to that mess.
I want to hide in my house. I can't do that however which is probably a good thing.

I don't know how to handle it though and it's frustrating, but I will just keep looking for solutions. Drugs (prescribed) are definitely not the answer for me so I'm thinking perhaps some yoga or some tweaks to my diet. I have realized over the last year how much I've used alcohol to try to cope with this problem in the past. But, don't worry, I WILL NOT DRINK. I'll figure it out.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

TC—no, drinking definitely did not help. Perhaps for 20 minutes tops. And I did not enjoy one bit of it. There is some saying about how miserable it is to have a head full of AA (SR/AVRT) and a belly full of booze. Knowledge of my alcohol abuse certainly does ruin my drinking.

Slowing my roll today and just taking things one step at a time. I have a habit of going 0 to 100 and missing everything in between. Practicing slowing down and taking in—and accepting things as they are right now. Looking forward to a better day
Old 01-19-2023, 06:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Hi all-
More anxiety this morning, this is so weird. Again, nothing like when I was drinking so that's a good thing and I'm sure not going to go back to that mess.
I want to hide in my house. I can't do that however which is probably a good thing.

I don't know how to handle it though and it's frustrating, but I will just keep looking for solutions. Drugs (prescribed) are definitely not the answer for me so I'm thinking perhaps some yoga or some tweaks to my diet. I have realized over the last year how much I've used alcohol to try to cope with this problem in the past. But, don't worry, I WILL NOT DRINK. I'll figure it out.
Hang in there, Sam! Better days will come.
I too had a meltdown last month because of the mixture of stress and alcohol.
Alcohol doesn't work to calm you. Go for a long walk and clear your head, or go to the gym, or play some sports, or read a book.
Stay away from the bottle, keep yourself busy and healthy
Old 01-19-2023, 06:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm with you Sam. I had to do some out of comfort zone sharing at work and I'm feeling very self conscious and anxious right now. Not at my best. The scary thing is it seemed like the presentation went well?! Anyway, I hope you feel better.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I will absolutely not drink in order to "help" with the anxiety. I have tried many things to cope with it(I go to the gym, take hikes with my dog, I read all the time), but haven't found the right combination just yet. I will keep trying.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
I'm with you Sam. I had to do some out of comfort zone sharing at work and I'm feeling very self conscious and anxious right now. Not at my best. The scary thing is it seemed like the presentation went well?! Anyway, I hope you feel better.
Thank you Five. You too and glad the presio went well.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's definitely a backdoor for the addiction. Usually I'd just drink the next few days until I forgot about it. It's sickening. I feel like I want to be invisible right now.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FiveTries View Post
Thanks. It's definitely a backdoor for the addiction. Usually I'd just drink the next few days until I forgot about it. It's sickening. I feel like I want to be invisible right now.
I completely understand this feeling. I often feel like that, and I wish I had a better idea to help you but at least know it's not just you.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sam, this breathing exercise sounds too simple to be effective, but it really helps with anxiety. It might help you - I hope so.

Belly breathing activates your relaxation response, reducing your heart rate and blood pressure and lowering stress levels.
Place one hand just above your belt line, and the other on your chest, right over the breastbone. Keep your mouth closed and inhale slowly through your nose by pushing your stomach out. Exhale through your mouth by pulling your belly in.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Toughchoices - thank you for the encouragement and thoughtful comments!

Ishallnotwant - good job coming right back and posting. It’s great you have come up with some ideas to help reduce work stress - work stress is one of my big triggers too. I’ve found it has helped coming here and reading and posting during my lunch breaks. Breathing exercises and practicing gratitude mid-day have also helped.

Sam and FiveTries - hope the anxiety improves for you both today. Just remember alcohol increases the hormones that cause anxiety. Sounds like you are both determined to break the alcohol/anxiety cycle though so well done!

Renegade - keep stacking those days and extend your personal record 24 hours at a time!

Day 15 for me. Got a pretty good cardio workout in last night. I’m still not 100% recovered from my injury so I can’t workout as intensely as I’d like but am so grateful to be out of my walking boot and exercising again. Gonna lift weights tonight. Exercise is such a vital component of my self-care regiment. Through all my failed attempts at sobriety I really am learning just how important self-care is.

I am committed to 24 more sober hours. I will not pickup that 1st drink today.

Have a great day all!

Old 01-19-2023, 11:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Some conquering anxiety tricks I found
  1. Run your hands under warm water. This is awesome. There is something biological to this, I don’t remember what it is, you can look it up. It is so soothing to warm your hands. Make the water as warm as you can stand it and put your hands underneath. I promise you, it works.
  2. The color game. Before you head out the door, decide on a color. Today’s color is blue. Every time you see blue throughout the day, in your mind say, “blue”. It brings you to the moment. It is a great trick for keeping your mind present and not all over the place.
The 5-5-5- trick breathe in for 5, hold for 5 release for 5.

Also, keep doing what you are doing. Saying it out loud is a great conqueror. Great job guys, coming here and looking for solutions instead of drinking.

Bassetdog - great job on day 15!

Oh yeah, and do math problems in your head. That works for me too.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I appreciate that, Sam

Bobbie those are great ideas. I went and took a hot shower on my break and it seemed to help.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:44 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support, Bobbie, and TC! I will have to try your anxiety tips also.

I hope the anxiety has subsided, Sam, and five 🤍 I too know the feeling, Sam! We feel like the world ended internally, but the rest of our audience didn’t see that side. Weird! I heard a quote the other day, “your success lies on the other side of your fears.” For far too long, I allowed my fears to stand in the way of my dreams….oh yeah and alcohol. No more-

Committed to my sobriety on day 44.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey Sam I hope your anxiety gets more manageable. I suffer with it but the biggest factor is of course drinking (developing into paranoia for me when drinking last year), so things can only get better for us I'm sure. I'm on Day 20
Old 01-20-2023, 01:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone marking a new day in a new life.
I have 6 weeks today.
I pledge another day without booze
Old 01-20-2023, 02:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congratulations Bobbieka on 100 days. Thank you for all your kind support these last few months and best wishes for continued growth, peace and serenity.

ZB congratulations on 6 weeks. Thank to you as well for sharing your journey and helpful thoughts. Best to you.

Best to everyone no matter where you are on your journey. All here are inspirations and provide helpful thoughts that are beneficial to all.

Pledging for today. Day 110.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 2. Meditation and exercise are greatly helping me with my irritability and restlessness. Yesterday was not horrible, but definitely not good. Feeling better today.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:27 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Great job on day 2, ishallnotwant. Not horrible is okay sometimes.

Have a happy Friday, friends.
"being sober delivered almost everything drinking promised.” ― Anne Lamott