Notices

Class of November 2022 Part One

Old 11-25-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lixie BD and anyone else struggling the best advice I can give is not to give up.
everybody here in this thread knows that the best thing for them is to stop drinking/drugging.

My wish for everyone is they reach that point of acceptance. It doesn’t matter what other people do - we cannot drink and be happy. We have to pick one.

For drinkers like us, accepting the necessity of sobriety is an absolute pre requisite for a happy and full life.

D
Old 11-25-2022, 06:15 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Lixie BD and anyone else struggling the best advice I can give is not to give up.
everybody here in this thread knows that the best thing for them is to stop drinking/drugging.

My wish for everyone is they reach that point of acceptance. It doesn’t matter what other people do - we cannot drink and be happy. We have to pick one.

For drinkers like us, accepting the necessity of sobriety is an absolute pre requisite for a happy and full life.

D

Great advise Dee. Thank you. I’ve read a million different recovery stories and it seems the common thread is simply a firm commitment to not drinking again (doesn’t matter if it’s AA, Smart, rehab, SR). I sure as heck I’m at that point. Whatever perceived pleasure drinking had for me is long gone. I didn’t enjoy a single second on the last stupid binge I was on. I just felt awful physically and mentally. I got to this same point with smoking cigarettes years ago and quit cold turkey.

I’m ready to move on from the hell that is alcohol. I think for years I’ve been looking for some sort “easy” switch that would make quitting a breeze. Through all of the posts I’ve read on in this website, in Smart Recovery meeting, and sober literature I’ve read, it’s about making the commitment and using the tools I have learned.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:22 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats exactly it BD

D
Old 11-25-2022, 06:56 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Just reading and catching up. I hope that everyone is doing well.
Took down all of the fall decorations and I’m about halfway up with the Christmas ones!

I have a strange pain in my lower abdomen. It came on a week ago. The point is that I tired to run and it bothered me. I need to run now to help me stay strong. I make an appointment to see my pcp. I was hoping it was a strained muscle. But not sure.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:16 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Welcome Jojo, it's nice to have another Jo from Alberta here. Hope you stick around. This is a great group.

Five weeks today for me. Had another great meeting with my psychologist. It's like talking to a best friend and time just flies by. We really connect!
Old 11-25-2022, 09:17 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Hi all. I wasn't going to join another class, but I don't want to leave anything untried. My plan for a couple of weeks has been to go to bed tonight shortly and that will be it. I thought that I might start a couple days earlier, but hey, here we are. I am fully committed. I am finishing my last beer and my last shot of vodka. I'm kinda weird with starting and stopping points. The big picture is that I'm done. I'm old enough to remember all the pain, and all the sickness, and all the uncomfortableness, and just the personal sickness and maybe an accelerated death
Those that saw my general post, sorry. I had hoped to stop a couple days earlier, but here we are. I am very committed. I watch a lot of old tv shows. It is kinda funny(maybe not) they did a lot of drinking in the old gunsmoke episodes and they recognize alcoholism just as clear as now. I also know that most will read this and say , yeah right , won't last long. In the past I would just love to prove others wrong but I think this time is different. Actions speak louder than words.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:35 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Morning all day 7 here. Enjoy today and don’t stress too much.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:13 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread BobDrop
I believe all of us have the capacity to stop drinking and stay stopped.

You can do this

D
Old 11-26-2022, 03:02 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Day 55.

bobdrop I have been where you are just 8 short weeks ago. I believe we are close in age ( I am 62) and the way we drink. I know if I continue to drink I will be dead or become very sick way before my time. My body and mind can’t and don’t want to do this (drink) anymore. I had 10 years of sobriety, 1993-2003. If not for that period I would be dead. I now choose life so alcohol can not be a part of my life anymore. I am making it through by keeping in mind I want to live and taking a drink is akin to committing suicide for me. From your posts it seems you may be thinking the same. I am pulling for you and hope you find solace in knowing you are not alone. Best wishes.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:58 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Hey all-
Just a quick check in on a busy holiday weekend to say stay strong y'all!

Still sober here in Sam world and plan to stay that way.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:38 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Greetings all,
. Bobdrop and runner, it sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm 62 and had a long period of sobriety.
I'm working on ending this silly addiction once and for all, as I know it will wreck my health and shorten my life.
I cleaned up the house and had the kids over for Thanksgiving dinner.
With the clean house and all, I don't feel like getting sloppy drunk.
Misst, great work on the 7 days!
Old 11-26-2022, 06:04 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Hello sober friends!
It’s nice wake up to a house with Christmas decorations up!
Going to a Friendsgiving today.
pain in my side is still there. Won’t run today. I did two stretching classes yesterday. My jaw is still aching a bit. (I broke it when I got hit by the truck while cycling last year). I sure hope insurance allows me to get the jaw implant surgery.

Day 7
Old 11-26-2022, 07:16 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

Peke, my goodness! Hit by a truck? yikes!

Thanks Magnum and everyone else for welcoming me to this class.

Plan on having a quiet day and getting around to posting here about what I’m dealing with. Usually I slide into these classes and chatter away. I haven’t this time but rather have been pouring over as much content as I can. On one hand it is helping on the other hand not so much. But that’s okay, I saw a pic in the 24 hour class that confirmed to me that I am right where I need to be. I wonder if I can post it all though I think pics need to be web hosted here. I could try and if it doesn’t work then I’ll know. Okay I tried and it does need to be hosted. Too much past my ability at this moment. Lol

Jojo

Old 11-26-2022, 09:51 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Thanks Zenith and Runner, and of course Dee. Trying to stay busy today and watch College Football. Can't wait to feel better over the next couple of days.
Old 11-26-2022, 10:23 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 2. Grateful to wake up sober today. I’ve got plenty to keep me busy today and found another meeting to attend tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 11-26-2022, 10:33 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Chatter away, darling Jojo. Don't mind me being a bit quiet. I have been really sick for over a month now, but it seems like I am finally on the road to recovery. Fingers crossed.

Clemson is playing Bob, my husband's and FIL's team. They are actually watching it together in VA, which makes me happy.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:37 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenithboy88 View Post
Greetings all,
. Bobdrop and runner, it sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm 62 and had a long period of sobriety.
I'm working on ending this silly addiction once and for all, as I know it will wreck my health and shorten my life.
I cleaned up the house and had the kids over for Thanksgiving dinner.
With the clean house and all, I don't feel like getting sloppy drunk.
Misst, great work on the 7 days!
We always hear the AA saying: if nothing changes, nothing changes. But I think we forget that the opposite is also true. If something changes, everything can change.

I am really glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, dear zenithboy. ❤️
Old 11-26-2022, 10:38 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagnumCat View Post
Welcome Jojo, it's nice to have another Jo from Alberta here. Hope you stick around. This is a great group.

Five weeks today for me. Had another great meeting with my psychologist. It's like talking to a best friend and time just flies by. We really connect!
Congrats on 5 weeks love!
I am so very glad your psych is so awesome. ❤️

And love to all of you s xxxxxx
Old 11-26-2022, 12:11 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Checking in again. Day 1 is so long and so hard. Watching football while putting up Christmas lights. Sat down to rest and figured posting is better than thinking about having a beer. Actually, I made sure there was none in the house starting today. Just my wife's Vodka, but that's something I just have to live with.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Hi all. ❤