Notices

Class of November 2022 Part One

Old 11-22-2022, 01:08 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Free.

Peke, speaking of slowing down my (our) brain(s), I had a doctor at a recovery clinic prescribe naltrexone to me.
For the first time since my early teens the squirrel doing rampant circles in my mind has stopped!
It just sort of walks around now observing.
I’m calm for the first time in forty years!
Ask your doctor.

I don’t know how I lived without it for all those years. Anxiety, suspicion, persecution complex, exploding normal situations into cataclysmic proportions in my head. Rehearsing conversations that mostly never came to pass.
Naltrexone has obliterated all that.
I face the world from a more balanced perspective now.

I noticed the difference within about 4 or 5 days of starting the prescription.

The recovery clinic has doctors, counsellors, and various other professionals. It was called RAAM for Rapid Access Addiction Medical (medicine?) clinic.

Naltrexone was initially used to quell the ‘high’ one gets from drinking. The general calmness is a pleasant side effect. The doctor even said “ naltrexone is pretty amazing for alcohol recovery. We are not quite sure why it does this, but we are glad it does”

Has been great for me.

Take care. Keep posting.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:40 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 51. Thinking of all of you here and wishing all find peace on your journey.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:15 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Yay Runner!!

Thank you so much Tired. I saw a Ted Talk about Naltrexone. And it was mentioned in the documentary Risky Behavior. I am nervous about telling my doctor about my situation. But gosh, I might as well give it a go. I’m not sure if it’s the drug that you talk that makes you ill if you drink. Or the one that minimizes the euphoria that you get while drinking. Either way, I wasn’t aware that you should take it daily!I thought it was just a pill you took before consuming alcohol. Anyway, that you so much for your help. I’m very grateful!

I hope that everyone has a great day today. For those in the US, are you getting ready for Thanksgiving?
Old 11-22-2022, 05:29 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Good morning all-
Naltrexone, I believe, is the drug that reduces or blocks alcohol cravings which would sound like a godsend, quite honestly. So, Peke, it may be worth a chat with your doc.

Oddly, since I've started my new prescription, I've had absolutely zero cravings. I knew alcohol is out while taking it and figured that was another good way to keep my one the sober path(I'm taking it for anxiety) but the lack of cravings is a really nice side effect. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but either way I will take it :-)

Runner-congrats on racking up the sober days.
Freedom--good luck with the interview, and absolutely you want to show up to it refreshed and not hungover.

And yes, for us in the US, Thanksgiving is right around the corner and it's my favorite holiday full of food, football and family. My family is not big drinkers in fact most of them don't drink at all so no worries there, although I don't think I'd be tempted if they were.
Short work week but a busy one just the same.

I can't wait to get to 50+ days and beyond, too.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:25 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Naltrexone requires a thorough and honest conversation with your doctor. There are requirements that must be met before a doctor will prescribe this drug.

Just saying. s
Old 11-22-2022, 06:39 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Sam, I’m happy that your new regimen is working. It must feel great to have less anxiety. Thanksgiving is all about football! And the Macy’s parade and the dog show too. I hope you don’t have to travel too far.
Freedom I hope that your interview goes well tomorrow.
Thanks you Venus. It’s a serious drug, I’m sure.
Went out at five this morning for a nice walk. It’s windy and dark with light rain. I couldn’t sleep last night. (Pulled a muscle in my back). But it’s also because of the drinking. It takes time for your sleep to get back to normal.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:49 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

You know, Peke, (and anyone else ashamed of saying they have a problem out loud) I did not want to tell anyone about my struggles with alcohol. I am a strong woman, something like alcoholism shouldn't get me down. I should be able to conquer this on my own. Like you, I run. I have run 1 full marathon and many half marathons. When I started running long distance, I was trying to outrun my alcoholism. It didn't work. I tried to out busy my alcoholism. It didn't work. I served on so many committees, was room mother for all of my kids, coached select softball and soccer. It didn't work. Until I faced my problems, got honest with my doctor, joined a program, nothing worked.

Alcoholism is an isolating disease and it thrives when we keep it in the dark. When I finally got honest with others and myself, the healing started. And guess what? No one judged. I was met with compassion and even gave others the ability to show things they struggled with also. I know it is scary, but talking to your doctor, joining a program like AA, Celebrate Recovery or Smart Recovery or whatever you can find, and not staying isolated will be so worth overcoming your fears. You can do this. You are worth it.

Anyway. Day 44. Meeting tonight. I go to 2 a week. On Saturdays it is an all women meeting, tonight is coed. And, my 2 cents about Naltrexone - I probably would have never gotten sober without it.

"Though you may hold your sword in a shaky hand, I see the demons you are slaying. Carry on warrior. You are stronger than you realize."
Old 11-22-2022, 09:36 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Hi Novembers - I was posting in last years November class and had just put down the bottle. A few days ago I celebrated 1 year sober. You can do it too!
Old 11-22-2022, 09:59 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Thanks for stopping by, Scott! Congratulations!
Old 11-22-2022, 10:33 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott!
Old 11-22-2022, 10:37 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bobbie, I agree with you completely. You can't out-busy or out-run alcoholism. In fact, for me, it took sitting still and listening to my soul to convince me that I could stop drinking for good. Congratulations on Day 44.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:03 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Five weeks in the bag
Old 11-22-2022, 03:05 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great Tetrax congrats
Old 11-22-2022, 05:47 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thank you Scott for the words of Hope and your experience. Don't really have any plans for the festivities of turkey day. Couple things are up in the air I don't know I don't mind whatever happens happens I'm good with it.

Not much to report from the homefront. Just kind of chilling a little bit. I was thinking about the YETS. Example I don't drink like alcoholics yet. I haven't lost my spouse yet. I still have my home and haven't lost my job yet. The YETS are an example of the progression of alcohol disorders or alcoholism.

I have three months sober plus a day. I feel good about that. It really helps myself worth.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:17 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

That’s wonderful news, Scott. That’s quite an achievement!

Thanks Bobbie. I understand what you mean. I do not think that I’m trying to out run alcohol. I’m trying to remember the things that used to bring me joy before I drank. I wasn’t always this way. I used to find pleasure in reading, diving volunteering, cloning genes. I used to be different. But I value what you wrote. Thank you again.

WTG Tetrax!
Finished our Thanksgiving shopping. Didn’t work out today. But that’s okay. My husband gave me a second bouquet of flowers. It made me want to cry.
a friend brought over a bottle of homemade Kahlua. My husband and I poured it down the sink after she left. We agreed to not drink.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:44 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 52. Best wishes to all in USA for a wonderful thanksgiving with family and friends.

Peke glad you and your husband are stopping drinking together. Support each other in your journey.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:05 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hey all day 4 here sucks with these people in my bed annoying me
Old 11-23-2022, 06:03 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Congrats on 52, RunnerF!
Way to go, Misstqueent! Day 4 is awesome!
Way to go, Tetrax!
Zen - Congratulations and thanks for all of your encouragement!
Peke - sounds like you and your husband are doing this together. I'm glad. That helps a lot.
Samwitch - I hope you have a great time with your family!

Day 45 Feeling a lot of peace. It is funny how the further you get from that last drink, the better you feel.

I hope everyone has a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving to all in the states.
"Of all the roads you will travel, the one back to yourself is the most important."
Old 11-23-2022, 06:37 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hello all-
Here I am, sober and full of things to do. So glad alcohol is not in the picture, as I would never be as happy and confident as I am today. Looking forward to a long Holiday weekend.

Best to everyone!
Old 11-23-2022, 03:23 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Greetings Gang

Day 92 sober and rolling along smoothly. Ry cat and I are having loads of pet time that is calming for him and me. I've been feeling sluggish, don't know why other than it happens. So maybe be more active today to see if that helps, can't hurt. Anywho will meet up with sober friends this weekend or sooner. That always cheers me up .

“No, this is not the beginning of a new chapter in my life; this is the beginning of a new book! That first book is already closed, ended, and tossed into the seas; this new book is newly opened, has just begun! Look, it is the first page! And it is a beautiful one!” — C. JoyBell C.