Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 9

Old 09-11-2022, 12:45 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am not sure what settle down means, either. You are off to a sunset cruise—you are living the good life, honey. xx
Old 09-11-2022, 02:56 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hang in there LHW feeling discontent or irritability is pretty normal. It gets better.
I hope your eye will continue to improve as well

VGF I got to the what now point as well. I was very focused on not drinking for a while and once I knew that was secure I kind of found myself at a loose end.

No suggestions from me - this is your journey - but I've found as long as I'm putting good stuff out into the universe, the universe has a way of showing me which way to go from here

D
Old 09-11-2022, 06:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

SS, “lavender infused Egyptian cotton sheets” sounds divine!
Old 09-11-2022, 09:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I use LeBlanc Lavender linen spray ($35, but that'll last 4-6 weeks). I also like essential oils for pillowcases--eucalyptus and peppermint. We put our sober heads on the pillow every night: why not?

We discussed sleep hygiene back in the Holistic thread--but bottom line is sleep is huge. And a self-perpetuating reward.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Sleep is HUGE. 🥱😴

Off to my 8th Covid test soon, either we are stuck in India or we go on to Africa tomorrow

🤞🏼
Old 09-12-2022, 03:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

There is so much I learned here, and so much to say.

not enough time.

Viking, I brought you garlic naan 🫓

Old 09-12-2022, 03:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Everyone, here is dessert,

Old 09-12-2022, 04:07 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love kulfi

D
Old 09-12-2022, 05:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Garlic naan works for me!! Desserts look so good- I'm a fan of kheer, myself. So glad you are having a fabulous time, Free.

I have a lavender spray for my bed as well, SS, but I never remember to use it until I get up the next day. Irony at its best.

LHW, Bodhi, NL, hope you are all well.

Tomorrow is 90, James! Congrats. Hope all is well with the job and the football and the grandkids.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey- how's this for odd? My new oven? Last night I fired it up to make a pizza- and halfway to temp it starts beeping madly and flashing "666... 666... 666... 666"!! I wasn't sure if I should call the priest or the appliance shop! I did a Google- "unresolved" error code. I was a bit relieved! LOL. I do think that's better than the alternative.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:20 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well, I did not expect, my sobriety strong and my last post so upbeat and positive...to be back here shortly thereafter in a state of shock and immense pain. And it certainly did not help that there was yet another incident at the meeting I dragged myself into. I was a minute or two into my share on what was troubling me and the same guy who caused the incident last time...cut me off, cut off the chair, disrupted the meeting, huffed "Not alcohol related," and made a big show of storming out and slamming the door. The meeting devolved from there, ended early and people left within five minutes. Calling my sponsor when I got home didn't help, either. Pain is one thing. Pain and humiliation is another.

My beloved Duchess, one of my three rescues and two twin tuxie kitties, is most likely terminal with anemia and who knows what else. She's only five and has never had any health issues. I noticed she was sick on Friday but with same symptoms of an infection a few months ago that cleared up overnight with simple ABs and steroid protocol. I took her in today and it was bad right away. The tech pointed out jaundice and as soon as the vet walked in I knew it was bad. He said she might not make it through the night, and used the phrase "humane option."

My cats are like my kids and it wasn't until recently I felt I had come to terms with losing my beloved Dixie last February--saying goodbye to her was one of the worst moments of my life. And now here I am again. I thought it would be another 10 years before I'd have to deal with this again. I had just put my life back together again.

I go to visit with her every 20-30 minutes and it is like a terrible nightmare come to life. This is actually happening. One of the things I dread most. It's the only thing I worry about when I go away.

Vet is skeptical protocol will have much effect. I have a follow-up appointment Wednesday morning. Right now it's: she's not in any pain...is it better if she were to pass away with me here at home? Because I know what it's like to give the order and say goodbye. "Let's get this over with," I said to the vet, and when it was over I heard him crying as I crouched next to the table doubled over in grief.

There's so much more, but I'm still reeling in shock and better to just post and come back later. SS
Old 09-12-2022, 07:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about Duchess SS.
Continue to be the sterling pet parent you are and look after her.

I wish I'd been sober to better look after my furry companions.

As for that guy? eh...what he thinks should not take up any space at all in your head right, IMO.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Oh, SS, im so sorry. We lost our kitty last May, it was so hard. The decision was hard, to vet or stay with us. For us, we opted her to stay with us in the absence of pain. Lots of tears. Big hugs!

Dee, the ice cream had a different flavor, definitely interesting, but my fav is the all American Baskin Robbins 31 Jamoca Almond Fuge 😊🍨

I don’t know Kheer, but liked the top one on right, called Gulob. 🍡

So, Agra alone has 200 million people, and the state of Utter Pradesh has 1/12th of the worlds population! Utter Pradesh is one of 29 states in India. Their (India as a whole) population grows by 200 million a year from a population of 1.2 billion. 🤯😱

I knew cows are sacred in India, they are all strays and their feces are piled up along the streets, as well as trash everywhere. There are over 7000 stray cows in Agra. What I didn’t know was that monkeys are sacred, and one of their gods is a monkey. They have over 70,000 monkeys on the loose in Agra alone. Crazy, eh? So even when they bite, persons are not allowed to harm them or relocate them, or it is believed bad luck will fall upon the family of the person who dares harm a monkey.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Error
Old 09-12-2022, 10:05 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Old 09-12-2022, 10:15 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

James, congrats on the big 90. 🎉🤓❤️

Bodhi, hope you continue to feel well. Do you feel the baby kicking?

Viking, how was the sunset cruise?

Well, we are on the way to Africa. The plane is half empty now. Husband tested four times, three were indeterminate and the last one was negative. 😬🥴. Fretting our way through the trip is anxiety producing. It makes me nauseated. 🤢

LHW, how’s going?

NL, love to see you in our class, please do pop in.

Now that we have a spotty connection, will use guided meditation and take notes after reading more SR.

Big hugs 🤓❤️
Old 09-13-2022, 04:19 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

SS-
Being sober to care for and be with my Boxer girl when I lost her only 3 months into sobriety in 2014 is still an affirming memory for me. Be present, do your best for her and I'm thinking of you. So sorry to hear you are going through this- they are truly family, our little furry ones.

Lisa
Old 09-13-2022, 05:54 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Echoing what Lisa said SS. I'm really sorry for what you are going through. I know that you'll make the right choice about what needs to be done and when. The fact that you are fully available will ensure that.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
Tomorrow is 90, James! Congrats. Hope all is well with the job and the football and the grandkids.
Thanks Lisa! Things are rolling along nicely. I just realized that I'm going to be in NY when I would have put the $1.00 in my sobriety cup. I suppose that my cup can travel. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself, right?

Thinking back to what you said a couple days ago regarding the 'what now' feeling. I've been thinking on this some recently and come to the realization that maybe I've been striving for a moving goalpost for my entire life. Meaning that I always feel like I'm chasing something and falling short. Whatever I achieved, at work or at home, it was never enough. I'm feeling a shift. I'm really starting to feel that the real sober me (not the drinking me, or the dry drunk me) might just be enough. I feel real excitement about navigating my life with this new perspective. Even if the setting is basically the same, I'm different. I'm starting to see basic interactions differently. I kind of feel that it's the opposite of 'settling down' as the world is opening itself up to me. And honestly, I think that new opportunities will likely follow.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Africa Lynn! My sister and niece are in Nairobi for the next week. Joplin to Dallas, Dallas to Qatar, Qator to Nairobi. My niece has been posting each step of their journey on FB. So fun to follow you guys around the globe. And my daughter and her boyfriend leave for Spain/France on the 22nd, which is why I'm heading to NYC for dogsitting duties. So many jetsetters in my life right now. Have fun!