Notices

Class of August 2022 Support Thread Part 2

Old 08-22-2022, 01:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Back to school here too. Loved seeing my lovely 7th graders again.

The wedding was my day one, but I was not tempted to drink. Yesterday however, was a different story. We had flight tickets around 6pm, and my partner, terrified of flying, started drinking at 2pm. We were in a restaurant at the airport, and everyone was drinking. But I played the tape forward and only had ice water ,and my partner was so grateful that I was such a rock for her.

Day 3, and all is well.

Have a nice day, lovely people.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I’m proud of you Lixie!! WTG!!
Old 08-22-2022, 02:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi RAL! I’m glad that you have a plan in place. Congrats on day three!

Just boarded the shuttle. It’s actually their van which I prefer over the larger shuttle. The shuttle is faux leather and the seat are cold and stiff. This is a cloth van and it’s so comfy. Truly, things like that make a difference to me.
The driver had me sit behind him. But he wanted the ac on. I’m small and always cold. So I moved to the back. We will get to the airport at 4:00 am. My flight is at 7:30. TSA is usually slow at our airport. That said, I’ll still have a huge chunk of time. It seems that even though I try to fly out early there’s inevitably a bar open.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I took a shower before I left to wake up a bit. I’m staying up all night so that when I get to the
airport I’ll be too tired to be anxious about flying (and thus drink)

sorry to go on!

I used my red and NIR lights tonight before I left. My body was aching a lot.
Well, I guess I’ll read a little. Should he at the airport in 1 hour forty five minutes.

Lixie, when I was at JFK airport in NYC a man pulled out one of those liquor bottles out of his baby’s diaper bag. Fear of flying is real I guess. I trust physics and planes. It’s the human factor that scares me.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

FWIW - I remember flying sober with my daughter a couple of years ago. How nice it was to just be chatting with her waiting to board the plane. Watching folks running around getting their drinks in and then of course rushing to the bathroom before boarding the plane. Glad I was not participating in that.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 20 - there shall be no alcohol for me today.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks AAPJ! It’s a nice reminder.

I’m here 2.5 hours early. I’d like to take a flight med to relax a bit. (I don’t have a problem with prescription medications or drugs). But I haven’t slept and I’m afraid that I’ll fall asleep sitting here.

It would be nice to talk with someone. I got a water. I was thinking of getting a tea. I’ve never really had tea. I’m a coffee person. But the lady in front of me at Starbucks got tea. It looked nice.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I walked for a little bit when I first got here. I put my fitness app on and walked for a good bit. But the GPS failed. But still. It was good to walk.

I’m glad that I ran yesterday morning.
Not many ppl wearing masks. Employees are all wearing masks. But not many of the public.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You've done awsome Peke!
I went through a phase when i was probably 10 where I was nervous about planes after a movie that I watched. My grandfather worked for and retired from TWA. He told me the lengths that they do to "keep those birds safely in the skies" and I would never doubt Gramps.

How long is your flight?
Old 08-22-2022, 06:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi RAL. I think you are really ready this time. Doing things differently is key, the hard part is finding the recipe of success for us.

The only common ingredient I see among all of us, is don’t drink, no matter what. Tragedy, elation, job loss, moving, whatever. Never drink now.

I tried doing SMART, I found their videos very helpful on their home page.

Books. Lots of books on recovery.

Did my 90 in 90 here.

And, I never drink now. NOW is ALWAYS now. Very doable.

And reading here about urge surfing, and the dangers of just switching addictions,

Peke, I was a great runner, did half’s in less than two hours in my 50s. I don’t run any more, but a podiatrist recommended New Balance for me, as they come in wide. I have a narrow foot, but on those long runs the feet swell. They should have taken out those staples,yes? Unless you had a new procedure?

Have you seen a general doctor, about those issues and your heavy drinking past? They might have some good answers for you. It’s nice to have a Dr in your corner in recovery, or a therapist. So glad you got a hug from hubby. He wants the lady he married back. ❤️
Old 08-22-2022, 06:36 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you Citrus. I trust your grandfather!!

Hi Free!
Staples came out about four weeks after my accident (which was 12/22/21). My shins are sore now. That must be from overdoing it? I run in Hokas. But I’ve heard great things about NB. I too, have a crazy narrow foot.
You were white the runner!! Amazing 🤩

The bar/lounge opened across from my gate. Of course. But I’m just sitting here watching the ppl drink. If I could have just one, I would. But I can’t. Let them drink.
I took a flight med hope it kicks in soon.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Took another flight med. I won’t fall asleep. Too much noise/activity.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I read my previous post and it didn't make a whole lot of sense! Sorry! That was pre coffee. Lol. He told me all of the ways they made sure they where safe. He used to de-ice the planes and said it was even safe to fly in those frozen conditions, etc. He loved that job.

Those people drinking are going to feel like crap whenever they get where they are going. I feel sorry for them. Hydration is the way to go while traveling!
Old 08-22-2022, 07:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I understood what you meant, Citrus. Thank you. It’s about 4:43
Groggy. Hope that I can fall asleep soon.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:25 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

When I walk across the room (I posed this exercise for all of you in part 1) and I say I HAVE to, it’s a slog. But when I say I WANT to, it’s easy.

when we change our mindset, we change. When we don’t, we remain the same. It’s always an option to drink, always. The misery is waiting for us whenever we wish to go back to hell.

The question is, do you WANT a drink? if so, abstaining will most likely not last.

Food for thought
Old 08-22-2022, 07:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
Grrr! My post got gobbled up!

Sam, I’m just like you. I do laps around the airport too. I even load them on my strava.
Hiking: Merrill’s. Best ever.
Trail running: I ran in Saucony‘s for a while but they have a no drop shoe and it just didn’t work well for me. I switched to Hoka’s (Clifton). Loved these shoes. Now I’m trying Speedgoats 5’s. They have 5mm lugs. I need that for technical trails. I’m scared of slipping. I’m also going to buy the Tecton’s and compare them. They only have 4mm lugs. But they’re 6.9 ounces vs 8.5 ounces in weight.
Congratulations on 15 days!
Thanks for the info and let me know what you think of the Tecton's, the 6.9 ounce weight is appealing to me.
I was considering Hoka's. I do need to go to my local running store and try some shoes out, but your input is really helpful.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey all-
Day 16 for me. I am really groggy today, I did not sleep well and therefore I'm also cranky. I just went to my local coffee shop for a double shot of espresso so hopefully that helps a bit.

I am definitely seeing lots of positive changes from 15 days of no booze, now I want to work on my diet as it needs some help. I've eased off the daily ice cream habit which has made a difference(subbed in some dark chocolate in its place) but I want to make some long term changes--I'm toying with going back to being a vegetarian, maybe with an interim step of pescatarian first.

Oh well, I'm rambling, have a great day all!
Old 08-22-2022, 10:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sam, substituting dark chocolate is a great choice. And, taking the dietary changes slowly also sounds good. Congratulations on 15 days of sobriety.

Peke, I hope your flight goes well.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Checking in on a sober Monday. Got out for a nice walk on my lunch break which was a nice stress reliever. Gonna be a tough week for me as I have to go into the office for 3 days for in person meetings (I work from home). Going in to the office is always extra stressful for me. I’m going to have really fight the urge to stop for beers on my drive home. Definitely going to have my tool kit for fighting urges ready to go this week.

RAL - I also do SMART meetings a few times a week. They also help me stay sober.

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Congrats on approaching 30 days Citrus! That’s excellent.

Peke - great job on not giving in to the AV at the airport!
Old 08-22-2022, 02:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

happy day 16 Sam!!

Made it to the hotel!!