Notices

180 Day Challenge Part 6

Old 07-31-2022, 02:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm really glad the burning stopped, a small miracle. I'm also glad it's looking like your girlfriend dodged it too! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you all.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Zura, feeling much better today after a good night’s sleep. Had my usual tropical fruit plate (papaya, mango and kiwi.. sometimes avocado) then took a 45 min bike ride on some rural roads for some exercise. I had to get outdoors and the burning is still quite low. So fortunate.

GF off running errands so I’m making some oatmeal. We’re being careful to work around each other, keeping to separate floors of the house with windows and doors open. Despite being petite , my girlfriend is pretty tough, but I do worry since she’s only had a couple of the Sinovac jabs, and no booster yet, despite my bugging her. Maybe she’ll rethink the urgency of it now. Of course it has to be done on the other island where she got the first ones, and on a weekday, which adds to the hassle.

Sometimes we use avocado, which are only $1 per pound here..

Definitely not low carb, haha..

Old 07-31-2022, 08:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad your feeling a bit better and got to get outside.

Having a hard time here, son did great on his work experience and they were pleased but all off a sudden have sighted staffing issues and now aren't interested in taking on an ASBA student (part time school aged apprentice). Sons not pleased so I attempted to point out the positives (he knows he likes the industry now and also has had more exposure to a workplace etc). But I have left him to feel his feelings about it as he isn't in the mood for mums positivity lol. Hopefully soon I can sort out a car or maybe get a new car and that will open up more opportunities (that cyclical thing when you fall on hard times you can't afford a car but you need one to get work lol).

​​​​​​In the meantime he's no worse off, he's still ahead and if he has to wait till he's older and can go full-time then that's ok. He really needs to be working at this age for his mental health etc and need for independence but we've got a roof over our head, food and warmth so that's all that matters. I understand his feelings well though, he's young and ready to start his life. Good thing he's got computer games, hopefully some important online mission were he has to save the world comes up for him lol.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just saw the photos, delicious. Avo is good fat I hear though and I'll take that advice cause I love avo ☺️ $1 a pound, maybe I should move there 😝😝😝
Old 07-31-2022, 09:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh no, adv 😟

You don’t need to test again before coming back to US, that’s good.

Hubby caught Covid on our trip to Alaska, and was able to fly home 5 days later. Even felt good enough to change a flat tire on way home in Denver’s 98 F heat that day.

He was tired and had a lingering cough for an extra week.

Get well soon. I too, need clean air. Love the dry coolness of CO mountains.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Glad hubby's ok Free, and your back safe in your mountain oasis ☺️
Old 07-31-2022, 09:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that, Zura, indeed he must be disappointed. We were struggling to make ends meet when I was in high school in the early 70’s. It was a recession. I attended three different schools in two states, as mom was trying to find teaching jobs. Dad (divorced and absent) was struggling to find engineering projects overseas, so his support had dried up.

So when I was s senior I got a job as a busboy in a restaurant along the highway outside this little town in Massachusetts where we were living. The Red Coach Grill.. lol.. I felt I had hit the jackpot and worked really hard. I forgot how many hours i worked but I still managed to graduate with honors, despite learning about alcohol at the large local “keggers” in the woods. It gave me some freedom and a little cash to spend.

So I understand why he wants it.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
over hung over

Hello all, back on here.

Adv....what I read is alarming.
There are so many ways that everything can come unstuck very fast and complicated in the Phils. You are there for a short time, spending a lot of money on vehicles, bikes, housing.
Man, they would love you.
Petite Pinay GF, getting a bit difficult. She knows you're leaving sooner than later.
Frankly, is she married already? Boyfriend in the background? Have you met the 'cousin' that always seems to be around. He could be the husband.
You need eyes in the back of your head in the Phils man.....anywhere in SEA,
The girls will do what they have to do. I have stories....
Not for the faint hearted.
Good Luck man.....
Old 07-31-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It can be hard sometimes in life can't it advbike, but we get through it!! I always come back to we've survived worse. For us, im glad I have the veggie patch etc, if I can only manage to get it fully productive and keep the birds, insects and diseases at bay long enough to get some bounty 🤦😝 life's never boring lol
Old 07-31-2022, 09:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Free. I feel great, hoping its not a fluke. I am here for two more weeks but need to go to immigration by Wednesday (its Monday here now) and have one more test kit, hopefully its neg. Getting bored already, lol.

Having had asthma all my life I have also really learned the value of clean air. Tucson has really good air quality (unlike Phoenix), as did my prior home outside of Portland. Easy to take it for granted until you’re living around bad air, whether smog or smoke. Fortunately they’ve mostly quit now as the rains have tapered off, but smoke is endemic throughout much of Southeast Asia at certain times of year due to burning of rice fields and clearing of rainforest to plant palm oil plantations, sadly.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back, Pline. Thanks for your concerns, I appreciate it. After 8 years here I'm aware of most of the pitfalls. We're good in that regard, just personality differences that have been around a long time and I'm finally beginning to question whether that aspect of it is a good fit. We've lived in several different cities together over the years - there's no boyfriend in the background. She's college educated, thrifty and her family has never asked me for money although I have tried to help for various expenses in the family, due to cancer, typhoon or just school assistance. Everything I have ever bought her or even the house I am currently building - was my idea. It's a really fun project for me and it will give her some security, whether we remain together or go our separate ways.

How are you doing? Have you put together a plan to stay sober for the month? Post more often? Join the August class?
Old 08-01-2022, 04:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You sound like you know what you are doing advbike, and gut feelings about relationships are often right.
I like the fact you are concerned for her security whether you remain together or not, it shows a kind heart with integrity.
I loved your plate of fruit, looked delicious!
Anyway enough of the compliments!
Great to hear from you pline.
Zura I hope your son found solace on his computer game....!
Best wishes to all.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks DF ☺️ something will work out, one of these days lol.

I agree with DF advbike, that you are thoughtful and kind.

Hey Pline ☺️ how's things going for you? I hope your well.

​​​​​​I'm just enjoying the pleasant weather here whilst toiling in the plot. I can see signs of spring coming, unfortunately it's the dreaded invasive weed popping up 👿 ALREADY!! i've been giving it the evil eye, if only looks could kill, tenacious, brazen thing that it is, so rude 😜
Old 08-01-2022, 09:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
over hung over

Hello all,
thanx for kind thoughts.
Yes, I said too much, but with no intent to lessen the value of your obvious kindness and generosity Adv. Which we all have benefited from on here.
I got burned in Thailand. Internet dating.....marriage gone, risky living was attractive. So was the girl.
So I fly up there, just for the record I was about 6 months sober at the time, so time to see how it would go. Country Thailand, not Bangkok.
Spare you all the detail, but essentially she owed a lot of money to the local loan sharks, she'd been borrowing from one to pay another. Ouch. She, the family, were being threatened. Interest mounting by the day. Everyone looking at you to save their arses.

Which I did. Nothing payable until I was home. Everyone needed to have every interest in my safe return. I'm sitting in a hotel on a lonely Thai highway. I could be gone and nobody would know for weeks.
Why did I pay the debts?
Two reasons. I was incredibly well looked after, I got sick and could have been in trouble if not for her care.
The second reason....on the streets of Bangkok you will see hideously deformed women begging. They have been blinded with battery acid for not being able to pay their debts.
Pay and walk away. I gave her a chance to sort out her problems and get clear, it won't be on my mind for the rest of my life.
I think she probably had a boyfriend and they took the money and ran. Was the boyfriend a shark? I'll never know. Mysteries.

Obviously not doing so well right now.
Seem to have dug myself into a very deep hole and can't find the way back up at the moment. Yeah, I know...."stop digging". Easier said than done.
It rains at night, the sound is soothing, so I just relax into sleep. All I want to do is sleep, dream.
Then I spend hours awake in the dark with all the thoughts and pictures, the window lightens then all you want is something to drink to chase it all away again. Not a great way to live.

Not sure how to do it this time.
Thanx all. I do read and marvel at what you have done and achieved.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

No matter how deep you are or how complex it seems, it really does start with a day one pline.

D
Old 08-01-2022, 11:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Pline, I don't think you said too much.... perhaps not enough, speaking for me personally here, to have a clear picture of context is all.....so I didn't speak to it. I'm not worldly lol. Either way it was clear you were trying to look out for advbike, and I think you have a kind heart also. Your worry makes alot more sense to me now, you've had some dark experiences.

I'm sorry your in such a difficult place but we are shining the torchlight into the hole and have lowered the ladder, waiting for you to make your way out. Whilst it's true we do the work ourselves, it helps to know there's people around to assist on the climb back out. Your right, it's no place to live, it's much nicer up here. I hope you check in more often
Old 08-02-2022, 02:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey man, we all care about you - a lot. I appreciated your words of concern, they came from your heart and we both know crazy stuff goes on here. Her ex partner (her son’s bio dad) is a piece of work, but I stopped that, took him to court here in PI, got her a protection order and eventually support. We had to live in a gated, with armed guards for awhile, but maybe he learned he can’t just do whatever he wants to people in a poor country. Long story, but yeah, this part of the world the rules are different.

We’re kindred spirits, Pline. You probably pushed the boundaries further.. but all I can say is at some point we have to take our foot off the gas or we’ll blow the whole thing up. I know you have seen the value in the simple, even mundane pleasures of sobriety, but you miss the excitement. I think its because you don't give it enough time to settle in and reap the rewards. I’m the same way - its a struggle to push it out further, but that’s when the good stuff happens.

I feel really good this time around, better able to really put things in perspective. I swear my brain wasn't working right 6 months ago, lol. Despite some decent stretches of sobriety, I was still indecisive and had the anxiety and shame visiting me regularly. Feeling so much better now after 4 months. Not much worries me and thats how I like it. The possibilities seem endless again.

I really want you to have this too, brother, and I know you can do it.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Morning 🌞

Miserable day here weather-wise which suits me as I need a day....or rather week, off. Would love a holiday somewhere nice, just the beach but even that's out of reach ATM, unless I get a coach bus to the coast and backpack, sleeping in a swag....although swags are probably expensive and it's hard to find places to legally camp near the beach, all the camping sites seem to be driving distance away lol not sure how my old body would like a swag either oh well maybe I'll recreate a fake beach in the yard lolol

Old 08-02-2022, 11:15 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Ha ha ha good idea Zura! Put some dunes, a water feature and an umbrella.

I'm doing fine, almost back to normal but I am still testing positive after 6 days since symptoms.

Despite that I went for almost 15 miles on the bike and lots of climbing. It helps get rid of the congestion.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That's no good advbike, hope it doesn't interfere with your appointment and hold things up for your return! I'm glad it didn't seem to hit you too hard though, small mercies.

Haha dunes that's very fancy advbike, I was thinking a kiddie pool with sand in the bottom and a spray bottle filled with salt water sprayed towards the fan for misty seabreeze effects 🤣🤣🤣 maybe some wave sounds through my portable speaker lol that would make for a very Bogan Aussie scene. I used to joke I know I'm a middle class bogan because I have an everyday pair of thongs AND a going out pair 🤣 anyway enough of my silliness for one day.