Notices

Class of January 2022 Part 4

Old 06-17-2022, 11:34 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Scott sorry to hear about your mum being poorly again, I hope the hospital can get her comfortable and pain free as soon as possible.
What a horrible situation for you and your Dad too, hopefully you both can get some rest today and feel a little more refreshed after.
Your doing great and being a brilliant son to them and as you say it would be near impossible to give your all whilst drinking, just make sure you look after yourself too, I've been in a similar situation and its very easy to put yourself at the bottom of the pile so do take some time to relax if you can.

Old 06-18-2022, 11:42 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear your news Scott, like you say, it's good news for all concerned and especially your parents, that you're sober and can deal with all this stuff properly. I know from experience how upsetting it can be trying to deal with a family crisis when half-drunk. Especially if someone needs driving somewhere. They can rely on you and that's got to be a great comfort to them both.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:27 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi all

just checking in to see how everyone is doing?
Scott hope everything is ok with your mum?
Old 06-20-2022, 12:55 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Scott - sending my best wishes to you there, this is not an easy situation but it’s amazing you are able to be the rock of the family there, this will not only mean a lot to your parents but it will also, eventually, help you grow stronger as a person.

Brit - all ok here, did you have your weekend in London? It’s lovely here at the moment with the sunshine.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:32 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Guys - My mom is doing ok. Today we'll be working on getting her placed in a nursing home. She'll stay in the hospital until they find a place. We have four that are reasonably close but they have to take her wherever there is a spot which could be anywhere in the metropolitan area. A couple close by sounded like they might have openings. Thankfully now that she is "in the system" the hospice team will do the work. My dad is doing pretty good but I'll be keeping an eye on him and will try to get mental health support for him if he'll take it. Also fortunately now that she will be entering hospice a whole host of services open up paid for by Medicare. He'll have to pay for the nursing home but he can afford it.

How was London Brit? I think next spring we are going to go to London and then Paris. I am totally excited about this trip. I was in France in high school a long time ago (I'm 60) and loved it. My grandmother on my dad's side is British and they also spent time in New Zealand. So I do feel a connection to Britain. My dad has traced our British relatives back to the late 1500's. Pretty cool.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

That's great news your mum is doing well and things are moving in the right direction. I hope you manage to get her somewhere close by fingers crossed Scott and that your dad accepts some help. That sounds like an amazing trip, never been to Paris but its on my list.

I haven't been to London yet guys, we go next month but I'm sure it is glorious there in this weather MrP please make sure you keep the weather nice for us when we come.

Glad everyone is doing so well. The warm weather was always a trigger for me but I have to say not anymore. Really think my whole mindset has changed now and being sober feels completely normal to me. Be 6 months at the end of the month and being on here, listening to soooo many audiobooks and being completely honest with myself about my drinking and its repercussions have made things different this time.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:15 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

It's been pretty quiet in here lately. I hope everyone is doing well

Happy Friday!
Old 06-24-2022, 06:46 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi Colin

Old 06-24-2022, 02:27 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Happy Friday Colin I'm so glad its Friday! How are you doing? Hi Venus 👋
Has been quiet but think most of us are still about.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:16 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hey Guys!

I’m here too! With what looks like a cold, although apparently I’ve been in close contact with a few people who got covid…..

I meant to be going to an Eagles gig this Sunday, oh boy…… let’s hope I wake up well tomorrow!

Old 06-24-2022, 04:04 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi Venus, BB and MrPL . It's become downright crowded in here, LOL.

Hope it's just a cold MrPL! And I hope all is well with you Venus. I'm doing fine BB. Had another mostly boring but sober week, which is just fine with me.

It's my wife's birthday today. She had lunch with some friends today and I'm taking her out for a movie tomorrow. She's still deciding between Top Gun or Jurassic. Should be good either way
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hope it doesn't turn out to be that MrP and you make it to your gig. We've another wave on the way from what I've read this week. There's not many I know now that haven't had it now! Except my husband, despite being around it when we all had and other people unknowingly, he never got it YET! some people just seem immune to it 🤷.

Boring but sober is just fine with me too Colin. Top gun maverick is brilliant Colin, saw it a couple of weeks ago and definitely recommend. Also have heard Jurassic is good too, I will be taking the children to see it soon hopefully.

lounging in bed with a coffee despite waking at 5.20! Its funny how I still feel pretty refreshed despite the early start. Work today and then beach tomorrow 😀

Have a great day all.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:32 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, still here and coming up 6 months sober next Thursday - that must also mean we are 6 months old a s a group
Old 06-25-2022, 04:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi Everybody - I'm here too. Thanks for checking on us Colin. It's wonderful to see everyone and that we are all doing well. Six months old as a group is a great milestone. I realized last night that I hit seven months last week.

Mr. P, I saw the Eagles in 1978 in Bloomington MN at an outdoor stadium. I hope you can see them. I can't say I've been bored in sobriety. I'm having a hard time finding the time to get all the stuff done that I want. My list keeps growing. Brit, I was up at 5am this morning. I rarely can sleep past 6am. I want to but I just wake up and am done sleeping. I really look forward to my quiet time and coffee before everyone else gets up. I think I'm turning into a coffee snob. I started making pour over coffee with freshly ground beans. It took a bit to get the water coffee ratio and the grind size correct but I think I nailed it. I buy my beans from Peets Coffee online. Its now my morning ritual.

We got my mom to the nursing home last Tuesday. Its been a tremendous relief to have her getting the care she needs. They can get her into a wheel chair and bring her out in the common area with the other residents. She is totally unable to move much without help and she requires assistance eating. I don't think she is terribly happy about being there but I don't think she understands that her care needs are now so great that its not physically possible for my dad to care for her anymore. She needs to be in a a 24/7 care facility. Its a bit frustrating that she doesn't seem able to be grateful for that care but oh well. I'm going to try to explain it again to her tomorrow.

I have to say that in the past couple months I have had numerous really stressful situations and never once considered drinking as an option to cope. However, keeping my sobriety is something I think about each and every day. It's never far from my mind. I'm curious if thats the case with you all as well. I have a friend who is 20+ years sober and I know he is still very aware of his gift of sobriety and never wants to lose it. Thats the way I have come to think as well. Sobriety is a gift that I never want to give back.

Have a great weekend!

Old 06-25-2022, 07:09 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Hey Guys!

I’m here too! With what looks like a cold, although apparently I’ve been in close contact with a few people who got covid…..

I meant to be going to an Eagles gig this Sunday, oh boy…… let’s hope I wake up well tomorrow!
Have you got a home test dear Mr P?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:15 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Sending you love dear Scott. You did the right thing; your mom is no longer mobile. s
I hope it gets a little easier for her to be in the nursing home. xxxx
Old 06-25-2022, 11:02 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,

Brit - nothing wrong with boring sober, life is what it is, some weeks and nice and predictable, others nice and exciting

Scott - It’s truly amazing that you have been able to stay safe within sobriety with all this happening. I’d like to think it’ll be the same for me whenever life decides to throw a curve ball, I’ll surely remember your story then.

All ok here. Covid test negative, so it’s probably just a cold! Not feeling my best but Eagles tomorrow is definitely on

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!
Old 06-25-2022, 10:39 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Glad your negative MrP and can go see the Eagles. Lots of summer colds and very nasty hay-fever about at the moment too ☹️.

I'm 6 months next Friday and yes Scott its stiit's very much on my mind but in a much more relaxed way if you know what I mean. I don't want to forget about it but I just feel more secure but I am aware I need to be vigilant too, as time moves on more and more just clicks into place and I love being sober and honesty do not feel as if I'm missing out on anything. I too just seem to be done with sleep between 5 and 5.30am but I'm slowly accepting that as I wake up feeling refreshed then my body has just had enough (may feel differently when its cold and dark outside though)
I'm relieved your mum is getting the care she requires and this must be a huge relief for your and your Dad, that one to one care in the home will be so beneficial to her and hopefully lift her spirits a little. You've done amazing and show that no matter what stresses come our way, getting through it sober is the best and only way. Your coffee sounds amazing!

6 months on Thursday En, well done! Hard to believe it isn't it but its an exciting milestone personally and group wise.

Colin what film did you see?

Old 06-26-2022, 08:10 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Scott, I'm having a similar experience with sobriety this time as you. Six or so months seems to be about when things can settle quite a bit for us. Years ago, after my Dad passed and I had to get my Mom into a nursing home I pretty much got drunk for a week. A few weeks ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her bone scan was negative last week, full body CT scan results should be in this week and if that turns up no other tumors then we can breath a lot easier. Mastectomy is scheduled for July 6. She is doing really well, not letting it all get to her too much. My AV has been silent through it all, but I'm staying vigilant because I still don't trust it completely. It's definitely a lot easier to deal with life this way and I'm not giving this up easily!

Good to hear you're OK MrPL

BB, we saw Top Gun. My wife loved it . Not so much for me, but not sorry I saw it. And the ice cream afterwards was really good!
Old 06-26-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Colin I am so sorry that your poor wife and your family are going through this. Your wife sounds truly amazing and its great she is staying so positive and well.

Positive news about the bone results and hoping and praying the other results are returned with more positive news, scary and worrying time for you all.

No doubt your being an absolute rock to your wife and being sober will be helping hugely with that and your being there for her through this and the coming weeks and months.

We are all here if you need to vent, rant or share at any time. Keeping everything crossed for good news soon.

I'm so glad she enjoyed Top Gun 😀 and admittedly for me the beach scene wasn't unpleasant on the eyes lol however I must say the flying scenes were very good so hope you enjoyed those and glad the ice cream was good.