Notices

180 Day Challenge Part 4

Old 04-10-2022, 01:42 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Morning all 😊

Dickensen - thank you, the days are just flying by with virtually zero AV chatter and it's now the start of day 17. I hope everything is well with you.

DF - it's such a hard age but even more so with some personalities. It's like they've been replaced with a changeling. I hope your break is actually a break and you get a glimpse of the real daughter under all the teenage-ness, if only a brief one. They're under there somewhere.

Free - glad to hear you came out of that unscathed. I agree with DF, don't mess with Free Warrior Woman 😂 Sorry to hear about the difficulties with your house. I hope it all comes together for you both.

Mizz - I hope your fully recovered now. I laughed out load at the we're about to find out comment 😂 such a great sense of humour.

Advbike - you are so right about how quickly our fitness/strength disappears when incapacitated! Atleast you have a fun distraction while you finish healing and regain your fitness.

BABM and pline - hope you are doing ok, thinking of you.

My world is very quiet, which is great 😊 it's pretty much watching comedies between gardening and housework all day, then sleeping like a log for 10 hours. Bit of meditation etc thrown in for good measure. Not exciting but very peaceful.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:48 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Good morning to all - Happy Monday!

A beautiful quiet morning here, have already had one cup of delicious home brewed "juice of the black bean" haha. We hit a snag on my home sale over the weekend with the out of state buyer - my mistake to accept an offer from someone who had not personally viewed the property - so we are reverting to the backups which are also excellent. I cost myself a week on that but it will go into my little book of real estate lessons learned and will never be repeated. Why can't I do that with my drinking mistakes?

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the new roadster over the weekend - hehe. It's kind of evil.

And a nice day ahead so will also be puttiing in some miles on the bicycle, which I definitely need.

Zura, I am so happy that your days are quiet and peaceful, there is truly nothing better than that.

Dusty I hope your upcoming time with your daughter is fruitful and brings you both joyful moments.

Wishing a great week to all.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

You weren’t one of those annoying guys racing up Mt Lemmon, we’re you?
🤪

Glad all are well
Old 04-11-2022, 01:59 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Just a quick drop in to say good morning. Cruising along nicely. Hope everyone is well ❤️
Old 04-11-2022, 03:02 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hi All,
Monday has been windy but sunny here. I managed a couple of hours at the allotment , the potato's are in, prepared ground for beetroot and runner beans. Amazingly we had some early rhubarb ready to pick and leeks still there to be pulled. Feeling like I can get on top of sad feelings and head towards a better place. A visit to a garden centre which was bursting with spring plants was my highlight, very quickly spent lots of money on filling the car up with bedding plants for the garden, plus a couple of birdboxes and hanging baskets.
Best wishes to all especially those that are struggling right now.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:27 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Lovely DF, sounds like Spring has sprung 🥰 😍
Old 04-11-2022, 05:10 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
You weren’t one of those annoying guys racing up Mt Lemmon, we’re you?
🤪
Haha.. define "racing"..

Let's say I am always polite, if not always legal..

Nice and easy 15 miles on the bike this afternoon, so foot is definitely better. No need to push it though..
Old 04-11-2022, 09:12 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
over hung over

Hi all,
Deeply appreciate being remembered here, but feel false at posting, which is why I acknowledge, but remain quiet. Mostly.
Obviously I'm not meeting the challenges of the 180 day thing.
Perhaps I should not even post to this board. I acknowledge it is for people seeking a sober life, obviously they believe it is
a better way to be.
I simply can't stand sober living.
I read on here how wonderful it is, how fufilling it is to have a substance free life. I read how relationships are so much better, how good
it is cook for family, to grow things, to earn the respect of others. There is a quiet certainty that living sober with pets is as good as it can get. Etc. I don't get any of it.

I find sober living a grey featureless trudge. Its so effing dull....
I don't have a pet or a partner. Sobriety is just a solitary lonely flog....cooking meals on a single plate, watching netflix.
I have whole conversations in my head with people who aren't here.
The big thing that has changed is the instant disappearance of the working life.
This is a strange one.

You spend your whole life from being in school, to studying, to working, there is always the next thing that has to be done, finished, a call to be made, a meeting, a visit, a set of drawings to be finished.
Then instantly.....its gone.
Every morning you roll out of bed and its either a suddenly delicious sense of utter freedom that you haven't had since being a child or all the adult fears. Through it all is a sense of utter detachment. I don't care any more. I don't have to.

Yeah, I have projects to do. Can I talk about them on here? Maybe not. So here goes: I have a late 1960's Aston Martin spread all over the workshop floor downstairs. That's a project.... It is wonderful to see them back in F1 . Stoll and Vettel, using Merc engines, but, hey, its an Aston Martin F1 car and there hasn't been one since 1961. They won Le Mans in 1959 and its been downhill ever since, lol.
Aston Martin is a mad thing to be into. The company has gone bankrupt 7 times, don't buy the shares...yes, it recently went public under the management of the unfortunately named Andy Palmer....and the shares tanked by about 40 something percent in the first month.

Look, I really shouldn't be posting this. I tried to post some pix for the weekend....but I think have to be externally hosted?

So, yeah....once I get typing, off it goes.
later
ix
Old 04-11-2022, 11:03 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hey plineI'm not close to meeting the 180 challenge either but I still post here cause i like ya all ☺️ I'm single too, cook mostly for myself although I don't live alone. I live with a broody teen and have too say that the attitude is enough to make one wish they lived alone, we do have maybe a handful of positive interactions a year 😂 my recently adult daughter visits briefly every week or two and tbh is the only other f2f interaction I have, albeit a more positive experience. Im extremely introverted, and happy with my choice to be a hermit right now.

It really sounds like your unhappy pline, I hope it's not a permanent state for you and you find whatever the missing ingredient is for you. Rooting for you to live a fulfilling, content existence. Your Aston Martin sure sounds like a project!!! I hope it ignites some passion for you.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:53 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
over hung over

Yeah well, what to do?
The days start early. I follow markets.....so first thing is start the laptop and look for the overnight futures. Its all over the place right now,
sometimes it follows the news events, other times it just heads off on a little frolic of its own. Last year, I could follow a pattern. This year its just gone wack random. Read the Wall Street Journal for what has happened in the US overnight while I've been asleep / flaked / passed out. Reading US news is interesting....but the reader comments are the best bit. A lot of unhappy campers there.
But none of it is good news these days. War, inflation and pestilence. What was the fourth horseman of the apocalypse again? ....famine.
Great....

Down here in Aus we a sad dead rock star moment yesterday. Guy called Chris Bailey of the Saints....very inventive sort of punk band out of late 70's Brisbane (Dee will know...) The late 70's in Brisbane was a sort of police state basically, so it was a hard place to be an
inventive punk band. So they went to England and had A Hit !
Then they made another album that was a fast and furious punk out, but with, quelle horreur, a brass section...
So here it is:
Know Your Product by the Saints. Vale Chris Bailey, dead from drink at 65.
Onya mate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9M3b9lh-7s

Old 04-12-2022, 02:19 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn’t know Chris Bailey personally (he’s about 10 years older than me) but I was lucky enough to see later Saints lineups a few times. 65 is no age really.

D
Old 04-12-2022, 02:28 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
over hung over

Yeah, too early....was going to type 'young', but that doesn't fit anymore....
Great piece here from Nick Cave:
https://www.theredhandfiles.com/chri...amazing-voice/

You'd have some good stories of the Brisbane era, Mr Dee?

Old 04-12-2022, 02:31 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some, but sadly most of it is a bit of a blur Pline
thanks for sharing the Nick Cave link.

D
Old 04-12-2022, 02:41 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

I get all the depressing stuff about life, the treadmill of it all, the bad news, the endless repetition of life, the lack of joy, the solitary living, the meals for one, etc,
I know you know and we all know that drinking doesn't change it, so what does it do. For me it used to provide a pleasant fug , a sort of detached, maudlin, carefree not caring ,eff it all attitude.
Do I miss that. No. Not any more, but I used to.
pline - it's hard giving up. Took me 3 decades!
Aston Martin project sounds fiddly and difficult!
Old 04-12-2022, 03:16 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
over hung over

Hi Dusty, yes it is difficult technically.
They have an engine made from cast aluminium which cracks. The pistons move in iron sleeves set into the aluminium. Everything heats, expands differently, cracks, the aluminium corrodes from the coolant water....which shouldn't be water in the first place.
1960's and 70's in the UK salt was used on the roads to stop ice. So English cars of that era were constantly sprayed with salt water underneath and they just would rust out to nothing. This one had lost a lot of the underneath to rust, literally no metal left to mount the rear suspension onto. It had sat out in the weather for 25 years. The engine block was cracked across the journals.
She was a write off.
I had to get a certificate of value from a dealer for my divorce. He knew. Gave me a certificate saying it was only good to be broken up
for parts, value 10 k. Laughter.... She now has all new underneath and is sitting up on all new steel and suspension on a set of MGB wheels which looks a bit weird...but it does for the moment.
I could have broken her up and just sold it off as parts.
But just couldn't do it.
I may not be able to finish her, but she is saved from being trashed.
There were only ever about 1600 made, so every surviving one is precious now.

So, that's what I do. I don't talk about it much. But ppl here open up about their lives....I don't. Which may be why its not really working for me. I don't want to show, but it is all a big part of my everyday life. Its hard not to be able to be whole to others.
Later

Old 04-12-2022, 11:01 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Well, Tuesday night here. Hope all are well - so good to hear from you Pline.

I'm beat - it's been a slog the past few days, partly my fault with the motorcycle taking up time I should have been focused on other priorities.. sigh...

My first buyer bailed out and we have a backup offer, but it's been a job getting a few things done to reassure her because the inspector called out an old non-existent leak, and I've been up in the attic twice now. Dry as a bone. Even had my moisture meter the 2nd time. Met with the maintenance people. So it's all good and she waived all inspections and has agreed that earnest money is mine if she cancels for any reason.. so we are back on track, but I'm tired. Worn out from lots of things on my plate actually but no need to go into it all. I'd much rather talk shop.

Is it a DB5, Pline? Any Aston Martin is a treasure, and being a Bond fan those of that vintage hold a special place. Can't believe you repaired the rust - that's the part I have always avoided when I was into those things. What will you do for the engine? Can you find another? I peeked online - there is one in the UK supposedly rebuilt and running.. but I probably wouldn't want to know the price. Realizing it wouldn't be authentic, could a replacement be used? Like from a Jag or BMW ? I had a 1983 Euro spec 635CSi with a 3.5L straight six/5 speed manual.. fast car. Use both engine and tranny, fab some new mounts and off you go

Really awesome project you have there, but I'm sure it has seemed overwhelming at times. A lot of the time.. but what a reward at the end.

I am sorry that sober life seems dull and flat to you, Pline and I wonder if there's some depression there. That is what I have heard about depression from some, and of course alcohol generally makes it worse over time. But I am glad you are posting here, and have this interesting project to work on, my friend. As far as the job goes, have you considered freelance work?

I'm off to bed - can't think anymore. Just rambling.. Best to all.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:40 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

new thread time:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-5-a.html (180 Day Challenge Part 5)

D