SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year And Under Part 70 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/457180-one-year-under-part-70-a.html)

Dee74 01-16-2022 12:52 PM

One Year And Under Part 70

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-69-a-20.html

Canadian Koala 01-16-2022 02:03 PM

Thanks monsieur Dee https://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/lo...chapeaubas.gif

Free2bme888 01-16-2022 03:56 PM

(((((Willow))))). Glad you came right back! The book, Alcohol Explained, is very good at explaining why we have that pull to drink, when we know it’s not good for us. One of the reasons is Fading Affect Bias. Interesting concept. If I had chosen to drink NYE, I might never crawl back to, or be strong enough, to save myself. It scares me.

Red, my husband makes a lot of our own dressings. Thanks for the recipe!

Oui oui, Dee, merci beaucoup pour la nouveau ‘thread’ 🤠

tootsl1 01-16-2022 11:26 PM

Free, I'd never read about FAB until you mentioned it, and it makes sense. I can see it having positive connotations in other areas of life, but I can also see how it can help us to 'romanticise' our past relationship with alcohol. Fortunately for me, I journaled a lot of my early thoughts on my drinking, and still have very strong memories of my self loathing. Nothing was worth feeling like that again.

Willow, I'm sorry you gave in to your partners pressure, but I totally understand it. I'm glad you're straight back and working at your recovery. It's nice to have a 'recovery buddy' in real life, but we do need to remember who we are getting sober for - ourselves - and work at ensuring that if our buddy should slip, that we don't. My ex-hubby and I used to try to quit smoking every Monday morning and by teatime he would be rolling a cigarette and I would soon follow. Until one day I realised I needed to quit for me regardless, and did.

Polaroid3 01-17-2022 07:53 AM

Hi all - realizing it’s been a while since I checked in. Working my way thru everyone’s post, and as always, find you peeps inspiring. Hope everyone has a good day!

redcardid 01-17-2022 12:18 PM

D30

just done some calcs - 30 days is 0.00102669404517453798767967145791 of the average male lifespan in my neck of the woods

thanks for the drinking context Willow00 - I still have a fear of finding hidden drink in my home (I'm even a bit scared of the isopropyl alcohol I used to clean electronic parts)

nice number samwitch - 21

anyway - well done if you did another day :-)

dickensen 01-18-2022 06:20 AM

Congratulations Redcardid for 30 days. Keep up the good work Your body is appreciating your sobriety.

redcardid 01-18-2022 10:22 AM

D31

Looked at my posting history on this site -- My oldest post is 25 July 2017, but from what it says I obviously posted here before that. It seems stuff gets deleted/archived on SR - I suppose because there is so much of it.

I think during my time coming to this site I have been 80% sober and 20% drunk. Not great but at least my drinking relapses have got/gotten (UK/US) shorter.

Well that's enough fun for today.

And well done if you did another day :-)

Dee74 01-18-2022 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by redcardid (Post 7753263)
D31

Looked at my posting history on this site -- My oldest post is 25 July 2017, but from what it says I obviously posted here before that. It seems stuff gets deleted/archived on SR - I suppose because there is so much of it.

I think during my time coming to this site I have been 80% sober and 20% drunk. Not great but at least my drinking relapses have got/gotten (UK/US) shorter.

Well that's enough fun for today.

And well done if you did another day :-)

by default you can only search back 500 posts,
you should be able to go right back with your post count, unless for some reason you asked for posts to be deleted.

Try this

Searching all your posts

A normal search will only give you your last 500 posts....if you have over that to go back to your first post...try this (thanks to Cynical One):

Do an advanced search.

On the RIGHT side
Put in your user name.
Choose the forum you first posted in.

On the LEFT side
Where it says Sort Results By
Choose Thread Start Date In Asending Order
And, then tick the Posts box

D

tootsl1 01-19-2022 02:17 AM

Red, it can be so difficult to maintain sobriety, it took me a decade to really confront what I knew and longer still to make the necessary changes. The fact you keep coming back and working at your sobriety shows your tenacity and proves you realise that drinking is no longer for you. I have every faith in you that you will move into permanent sobriety.

Willow00 01-19-2022 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by tootsl1 (Post 7754128)
Red, it can be so difficult to maintain sobriety, it took me a decade to really confront what I knew and longer still to make the necessary changes. The fact you keep coming back and working at your sobriety shows your tenacity and proves you realise that drinking is no longer for you. I have every faith in you that you will move into permanent sobriety.

This is great encouragement. For us all :)
Thanks Toots ❤️

redcardid 01-19-2022 06:53 AM

D32

thanks for the tech support Dee74 :-)

the site says I have made 253 posts and I can see 253 posts - so I must have deleted some when drunk or during a PAWS crisis - oh well

thanks for the encouragement tootsl1 but 10 years is like infinity to me (I sometime like lies - "you'll be feeling great next week" sounds nice) - I know from experience a year sober is not a sure thing - just a collection of small steps - one day at a time seems to be the best way for me

I've not bought any meat since December 24 (well save for a shop pasty, but there were only about 3 molecules of meat in it) and I've eaten all the meat from the freezer a while ago - so I'm doing vegetable stuff (and might quit meat for good)

now I'm in the middle of cooking (boiling) a vegetable pie : swede, carrots, Brussel sprouts, peppers, potatoes, leeks, broccoli, parsnip - I'm going to make a buttery potato and parsnip mash for the top crust, and put it on top of the other vegetables in a garlic-butter sauce - and then bake it in the oven till the top is browned

tootsl1 01-19-2022 11:35 PM

10 years was a long time to deny the truth to myself for sure Red. I refused to accept any reasoning that would mean I could never drink again. I tried periodic abstinence, I tried moderation, but nothing worked because alcohol was still the focus of my life. It was there when I actively drank and it was there waiting for me when I stopped. It was only once I removed it as a permanent option from my life, that I was able to move into recovery. Once I made the decision that I liked meeting my own eyes in the mirror better than I wanted to drink, I knew I could and would do it. I loathed the person I was when I drank. I wasn't a bad person - other than the lying and the secret drinking - but I was also not the person I wanted to be. The person I was born to be, the person I wanted to meet again after 30 odd years of denying.
Yes, like you Red, it took one day at a time to do it once I chose the right path, and yes, counting days and chunks was all I could consider in my early recovery. I recall being in total awe of anyone with a year or more under their belts! But as long as your steps continue moving forward in recovery, you will get there. I will have 9 years in March, and it still amazes me that I am now the person I wanted to be.
And your description of your tea has me salivating! :)

redcardid 01-20-2022 11:14 AM

D33

Thanks for the rational toots - I'm not that deep (yet) - I quit coz I stank, could not get anything done, was ill (probably dying) and time went so fast (you grab a bottle and it's next week

I think I just want to get through the rest of my life without self-inflicted damage and pain, and without self-inflicted fear, stress, shame, regret, disgust (you know the thing)

I'm sorting my papers today - letters, bank stuff, utility bills etc..... it's dead boring and I've already thrown away half a tree in paper

redcardid 01-21-2022 07:51 AM

D34

hello me (where yawl gone?)

money! - sheesh - I paid off all my debts (credit cards - everything) and was on solid grounds not that long ago - now things are starting to get flaky - I seem to have less disposable cash every week - if things go on like this I'll be in trouble in about a year - I dread to think what it's like for people who were on the edge before these recent price rises (and it's on stuff you cannot economize on - fuel, basic foods, tax etc.)

doing OK on the sober front - just a crummy sleep pattern and tiredness but my productivity is creeping up when I think about it

prepping tip - get some instant mash potato (I've got 12 kilos of Maggi instant mash - 3 x 4kg catering bags - cheap and nice tasting) - 12 kilos is 600 servings - but the thing is you can use the mash to make potato bread (as a flat bread in a frying pan) that is way superior (I think) to flour-only flat bread and chapatis + you can also make fresh gnocchi (if you have no eggs or dried eggs - no big deal - just make gnocchi without) (to boil or fry) that is way better than dried pasta (which takes ages to cook and tastes like old boots)

anyway - well done if you did another day |:-)

Willow00 01-21-2022 12:57 PM

I’m here Red. Hello :wavey:
Just not feeling very chatty. Too tired I think. Work has been really busy. I’m glad it’s the weekend! 3 weeks sober again :)

dustyfox 01-21-2022 03:49 PM

Hi guys, I am just dropping by to say hello and see how eveyone is doing.

Mags1 01-22-2022 12:38 AM

Hiya Unders :wave:

Love your vegetable pie Red! I’m going to try it (if you don’t mind). :)

I could never think of life sober, without a drink. It sounded boring and just impossible too. When I did stop the last time I did it in ‘bite-size’ pieces, a day at a time. I knew I couldn’t do it on my terms. They’d never worked before so unless I did something different I’d make the same mistakes again.

Too shy to get help in ‘real-life’ I found SR. I surrendered myself to the fact I couldn’t do it alone. I also surrendered the fact I couldn’t drink ‘normally’ as I’d tried hundreds of times.

Learning from ‘like minded’ folk, understanding and accepting, gave me encouragement to want to be sober, a day at a time…for the rest of my life.

Initially though, wobbly baby steps were all I could manage until I got my sober muscles. I know everyone can do this, live a sober life, avoiding pitfalls and bumps along the road. I think for me the hardest thing was not picking up when the going gets tough.but It got easier facing life on my terms the longer I was sober.

Keep on keeping sober! It’s a great feeling!

Love to all unders :grouphug:

tootsl1 01-22-2022 12:50 AM

Red, yeah it's scary how costs are accelerating for basics. I know how lucky we (hubby and I) are to be able to afford them, and realise how tough it is for others. January is a tough month anyway, usually a 5 week month to pay day, post Christmas blues, dark short days ( for those of us in the northern hemisphere Willow and Dee!).

:wavey: dusty

Willow I hope you're remembering your work/life balance? Self care is so important.

dickensen 01-22-2022 07:04 AM

Willow, Keep up the good work - one day at a time. After a while your body will heal and your sobriety days will begin to fly by.