It is very good news love ❤️
Old 12-03-2021, 01:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm so happy to read your good news Least. Keep
it up with blessing galore.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found out from their website that it was a lengthy process to apply for eligibility to get paid for his efforts. I told him about it and he said, no thanks. So he won't be getting paid for it. He said, I do it out of love and don't need to be paid. Isn't that sweet of him? But one of the things the case manager said they could do is install a stair glide: the chair thingy that goes up the stairway while you sit on it. They have to ask the landlord's permission and I doubt he'll say yes. Or if he said yes, his wife, the evil Cruella de Val, would say no. So I'm not hoping for that.

They are going to procure grab bars and install them in the house, and all for free. I pay nothing. This is a government service and is paid for by the government and not the client.

The pain in my lower back has eased up some - as long as I'm sitting or lying and not moving. As soon as I stand or walk for more than a few minutes, the pain gets really bad. I shall tell the pain doctor on the 9th at my follow up appt. My feet are still numb and painful and my legs feel very weak.

Still taking the gabapentin, three times a day. The first two pills don't bother me at all but the third one always makes me dizzy and light headed.

If this dosage of gabapentin doesn't help I'll ask the doctor to increase it.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The stair chair would be awesome and extremely
helpful Least and hope you can get it. If not that,
then the grab bars is a good second best. In fact,
i'm hoping we do that here in our home.

With all the surgeries my husband has had for
his back, he can't walk straight up anymore and
has to have a cane or shopping cart to hold himself
up.

He already has a bar set up for his shower
for extra protection to not slip and fall.

I'll take advantage of the grab bars on the wall
for Ballet exercises.

Many meds may not agree with our own bodies
and there are side affects too. If they don't agree
with you then talking to your doctor is wise.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My lower back still hurts like hell when I stand or walk. It hurts to stand at the stove or microwave to fix something to eat. Feet still numb, but it seems like the foot pain has gotten a lot less. Still have strange jolts of pain, but the constant pain isn't there anymore. My legs are very weak, can hardly raise my foot.

Thru all this I am glad of one thing - that I didn't think once of drinking as a 'remedy' for feeling bad. I know to my core, that drinking will kill me if I pick up again and I don't want to die early. I want to be sober more than I want to drink. And I must add, I don't want to drink - at all.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:58 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Least, a wellness mat (thick, cushioned waterproof mat) be helpful while you are standing at the stove or sink. They come in a wide range of prices but, if you are only standing for a short period of time, the lower priced ones should be sufficient.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:25 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My lower back hurts badly today and my feet are numb and painful. I will tell the pain doctor that the procedure did not eliminate the pain at all. I don't know what, if anything, he can do about it but I'll tell him.

I am sick of my feet being numb and painful. Still taking the gabapentin but haven't noticed much difference. The pain went away for a while but now it's back.

This year is ending on a very unpleasant note. I hope next year is better. At least I'm sober and intend to stay that way.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that, Least. Have you given any more thought to the acupuncture treatment? Can you stretch at all? Are you still getting PT?

Wishing you relief from the pain.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can't stretch without pain. No, I don't get PT anymore. I will find out about acupuncture.

Have my follow up appt with the pain doctor today.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Least, I hope you continue to try non-prescription solutions like acupunture, otherwise they will eventually have you all drugged up. That's what happened to my contractor friend until he found the acupuncture. It was a long road for him to get off the meds. Of course for now you have to do what it takes for pain relief, but don't give up on other solutions.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not on any pain meds now, I just take ibuprofen for pain. I've been off the norco for well over a month and will never take them again.

I will call the acupuncture place in town and find out if I can get in to see them.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hoping for some positive news from you Least after
going to the doctor today. May the pain lesson in time
or quickly for you.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I saw the nurse practitioner and she asked me if the pain was gone. I told her that it hurts badly when I move or stand or walk. She's going to schedule me for a nerve block as soon as insurance approves it. I don't know what the difference is between a nerve block and a caudal block, but I"m going to find out.

They only use a local anesthetic so won't have to do without food in the morning of the procedure. She said they could do a general but I'd have to pay for it as insurance doesn't cover that anymore. I don't have the money for that so opted for the local.

I hope it's soon as this pain is bad.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

What is a caudal injection for?
Caudal injections are a type of epidural injection administered to your low back.
The shot contains a steroid that reduces pain and inflammation. Caudal injections
are outpatient procedures, meaning you can go home the same day. Most patients
have minimal downtime and experience back pain relief within a few days.Jun 9, 2021

I asked my husband what he had done for his back and he explained
that they went in and burned the nerves causing pain in his neck and back.

So there is a difference between nerve burns and nerve blocks.

Ask your doctor for sure to better understand what you
may need for your continued pain.

My husband has had several of these nerve burns and
it's been awhile since the last one. Like several or more yrs.
which is great. Depending on the physical work he does,
that can irritate the nerves and cause extreme pain.

He is doing well tho and keeps in touch with his doctors
for a better quality of life at his age.

You can too.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think it's called an ablation when they burn the nerve endings.

My neuropathy is bad today. Feet are so numb and painful. It seems to come and go in waves.

I hope the pain doctor's office will call me Monday to schedule the nerve block. I spent a half hour on the porch today changing the old dirty straw in the stray cat shelters and replacing it with fresh clean fluffy straw.

I am glad to have done it but boy, did it ever hurt my back to stand out there and lift the totes and dump the straw into the trash cart.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Soft fluffy straw for the kitty cats which i bet they will appreciate
more than ever come nap time. Just as I hope you have a soft fluffy
place to lay down on at the end of your busy day.

Hoping that you can get that nerve block to relieve pain
swiftly and soon too.

I saw the resident nursery cat today while searching
for a particular Poinsettia plant this morning. Seeing
him or her definitely made my shopping a joy. I was
able to pet it before it hoped up on a bench to hide
amongst the plants probably to catch a few zzzzzz's.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My raggedy old tomcat who hangs around my house for the food, was lying in one of the shelters after I had put in fresh straw. They go in for the catnip then stay for the warmth.

They have food and water and shelter so they get thru the cold weather just fine. Some of them go under the porch, where there's a bale of straw that I shoved under there years ago. But at least it's out of the wind.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, least. How nice of you to tend to the outdoor cats! Hope you're on the mend.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sort of on the mend, tho my back does hurt terribly when I exert myself by standing or walking for more than a few minutes.

Changing the straw in the cat shelters was just something I considered imperative, as I'd had the new straw for two months and was unable to do it until now. I knew it was going to be warm yesterday so made myself do it. Only took about half an hour and now they've got nice fluffy dry straw to nestle into. I read that straw is the best thing to put in outdoor shelters. Rugs and towels absorb moisture from the air and then get cold and wet and freeze, making the animal even colder.

So now I can sleep at night without knowing they were sleeping in dirty old compacted straw.

It was worth the backache to see my raggedy old tomcat sleeping in one of the shelters soon after I had finished. Yay! He likes it! And he must trust me a little cause when I went out on the porch to feed them, he stayed in the shelter and didn't come running out scared of me.

I hope to get a call Monday from the pain doctor's office as to when/if they can do the nerve block. I am desperate for some relief.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:49 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Least, I think that almost any movement that you can tolerate (within reason) is good. I had a chiropractor once who used to say "Adv, the body is meant to move".. because I was having some back trouble at the time but was always surprised when I did something I thought would make it worse and yet felt better the next day. Eventually yoga cured all those problems. I'm not suggesting you do yoga (although it is awesome for those of us who are older) but just that the gentle stretching and walking are necessary. So good on you for getting to those critters and ensuring they are warm, and getting some movement in at the same time.