Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #12

Old 02-03-2022, 08:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
p***enger

Still here!

FBL, who's in the avi?

SG, is work as crazy as ever? Did anyone say vacay?

I'm back to teaching, and getting some research written up, both of which are good things. The workplace political volcano is expected, finally, to explode approximately 5 days and 14 hours from now, with an eruptive duration of unknown length. For whatever reason, I can't get too excited about it.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:24 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

SG, the book project is moving along. Still plenty of "nuts and bolts" number crunching before the next phase.

Courage, that's me and my friend from Minnesota. I took her out to lunch to celebrate her 2 years sober on Christmas Eve day.

Been pretty cold here lately, but happily most of the big snow storms have missed us this winter.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
p***enger

We have icy rain, here. A good day to be at home. My 8th year sober today, or round about 2/4. Best decision I ever made
Old 02-05-2022, 12:04 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Many congrats on eight years Courage! I know for myself that I would either have died or been thrown in jail if I continued to drink. I agree it's the best decision that I ever made also!

Glad the book project is coming along FBL. Like you, we have generally missed the brunt of winter storms this year...thus far! It's been quite cold however.

Enjoy the weekend all!
Old 02-05-2022, 12:29 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Courage!

D
Old 02-05-2022, 01:42 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
We have icy rain, here. A good day to be at home. My 8th year sober today, or round about 2/4. Best decision I ever made
This is amazing! Congratulations! 👏👏👏
Old 02-05-2022, 06:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 8 years Courage!
Old 02-10-2022, 05:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks everyone.

Nuts about the cruelty of April. February is and always will be the cruelest month in the northern hemisphere.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:01 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
p***enger

I've had thoughts of drinking more in the last couple of weeks than in years. The thing that crosses my mind is, *if* I had a bottle, I'd be drinking it -- so it's a good thing I don't have one. I guess in some ways it's a good thought. I don't think about *taking* a drink -- no fantasies, no secret planning or trying to figure out how I could "get away" with it. I'm just aware that several things kind of suck right now, and a lot of it's my own fault, and if I hadn't gained the small bit of strength and patience I have through 8 years of sobriety, I'd be in very bad straits with alcohol now. It adds up to a funny kind of gratitude -- gratitude for these years for helping me tolerate what I still fear but used to drink over.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing can make something suck worse than adding alcohol to it Cour - even workplace political volcanoes and whatever else is troubling you - so I'm glad there's no booze around and no desire to get any

D
Old 02-11-2022, 03:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The big things for me in recovery have been surrender and acceptance. I can think of NOTHING that would make me want to pick up and return to that hell-hole that my life became because of my drinking. And for that, I am eternally grateful!
Old 02-11-2022, 01:53 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
p***enger

Old 02-22-2022, 05:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
p***enger

Wherever you are tomorrow, gleefan,
Happy sober anniversary!
Cake!

Old 02-23-2022, 05:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy soberversary Glee!
Old 02-23-2022, 12:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Gleefan

D
Old 02-24-2022, 04:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Way to go, Glee!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
p***enger

Dee, i hear you have bad floods. I hope you're high and dry tonight.

We've been together 39 years, and it looks like my marriage may be falling apart. I'm at a loss. This is not much in the grand scheme of things, but it's been everything to me. Every day i think each of us is trying. I don't know what will become of us.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:42 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm fine Courage - the dangers passed for me
I hope you and Mr Courage can weather the storm

D
Old 02-28-2022, 03:36 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Courage
Old 02-28-2022, 07:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Eckhart on the Dark Night of the Soul

By Eckhart Tolle
QUESTION: Have you ever experienced the dark night of the soul? Your teachings have been so helpful through this difficult period. Can you address this subject?

ECKHART: The “dark night of the soul” is a term that goes back a long time. Yes, I have also experienced it. It is a term used to describe what one could call a collapse of a perceived meaning in life…an eruption into your life of a deep sense of meaninglessness. The inner state in some cases is very close to what is conventionally called depression. Nothing makes sense anymore, there’s no purpose to anything. Sometimes it’s triggered by some external event, some disaster perhaps, on an external level. The death of someone close to you could trigger it, especially premature death, for example if your child dies. Or you had built up your life, and given it meaning – and the meaning that you had given your life, your activities, your achievements, where you are going, what is considered important, and the meaning that you had given your life for some reason collapses.

It can happen if something happens that you can’t explain away anymore, some disaster which seems to invalidate the meaning that your life had before. Really what has collapsed then is the whole conceptual framework for your life, the meaning that your mind had given it. So that results in a dark place. But people have gone into that, and then there is the possibility that you emerge out of that into a transformed state of consciousness. Life has meaning again, but it’s no longer a conceptual meaning that you can necessarily explain. Quite often it’s from there that people awaken out of their conceptual sense of reality, which has collapsed.

They awaken into something deeper, which is no longer based on concepts in your mind. A deeper sense of purpose or connectedness with a greater life that is not dependent on explanations or anything conceptual any longer. It’s a kind of re-birth. The dark night of the soul is a kind of death that you die. What dies is the egoic sense of self. Of course, death is always painful, but nothing real has actually died there – only an illusory identity. Now it is probably the case that some people who’ve gone through this transformation realized that they had to go through that, in order to bring about a spiritual awakening. Often it is part of the awakening process, the death of the old self and the birth of the true self.

The first lesson in A Course in Miracles says “Nothing I see in this room means anything”, and you’re supposed to look around the room at whatever you happen to be looking at, and you say “this doesn’t mean anything”, “that doesn’t mean anything”. What is the purpose of a lesson like that? It’s a little bit like re-creating what can happen during the dark night of the soul. It’s the collapse of a mind-made meaning, conceptual meaning, of life… believing that you understand “what it’s all about”. With A Course in Miracles, it’s a voluntary relinquishment of the human mind-made meaning that is projected, and you go voluntary into saying “I don’t know what this means”, “this doesn’t mean anything”. You wipe the board clean. In the dark night of the soul it collapses.

You are meant to arrive at a place of conceptual meaninglessness. Or one could say a state of ignorance – where things lose the meaning that you had given them, which was all conditioned and cultural and so on. Then you can look upon the world without imposing a mind-made framework of meaning. It looks of course as if you no longer understand anything. That’s why it’s so scary when it happens to you, instead of you actually consciously embracing it. It can bring about the dark night of the soul – to go around the Universe without any longer interpreting it compulsively, as an innocent presence. You look upon events, people, and so on with a deep sense of aliveness. Your sense the aliveness through your own sense of aliveness, but you are not trying to fit your experience into a conceptual framework anymore.
'eckharttolle.com'

Courage, I think what you are going through is a Dark Night of the Soul. You are at a point in your life where you are beginning to shed people, places, things, jobs that no longer serve you as you begin to switch from an ego based existence into a heart centered existence. I am in this process myself. The mysteries of the Universe will slowly begin to reveal themselves to you and you will begin to take steps to live your higher purpose in this life, the reason why you are actually here in this now moment. I don't want to get too whoo whoo on this thread, but feel free to pm me if you want to discuss things.

As FBL mentioned, it is all about surrender and acceptance.

Last edited by Dee74; 02-28-2022 at 01:22 PM. Reason: COMMERCIAL LINK