180 Day Challenge Part 3

Old 11-17-2021, 07:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the fortnight Pline

D
Old 11-17-2021, 08:50 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Wrapping up Day 10, and already in bed, with ipad.. so this will be short..

Great job Dusty, on the concert. You should feel really proud of yourself and sleep well for that. My sleep also is rarely great, but if it's good I'm happy.

Pline, congrats on the fortnight! I had an allergist tell me once that I was allergic to almost everything in beer and wine. Something about histamines. She also told me my liver numbers were high.. at age 32.. needless to say it was one of my first wake up calls. I quit for two years shortly thereafter but relapsed during my separation and divorce. Should have stayed quit.

Keep up the great work everyone.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Pline - Congrats on two weeks that's a real milestone. I didn't know that about histamines and alcohol - but it explains why I felt like I has flu for the first few weeks of recovery.
I have no words of wisdom but I did want to say I never thought I would get so much positive energy from hearing about how everyone is doing - supporting each other through ups and downs of recovery is heart warming and uplifting. So thank you and keep going with the good work.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Congratulations on milestones pleine and adv bike. Hi Dusty!

Plugging along here, no blips glad to report……

Hugs!
Old 11-18-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Morning all, better sleep last night and a beautiful morning here in the desert.

Another (relatively) busy day ahead for me.

Have a great day!
Old 11-18-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the heads up on the histamine/alcohol issue, I wasn't aware of that either. I suffer terribly with allergies and developed severe hayfever in adulthood (in retrospect it happened right around the time I started drinking regularly). I've been looking into allergies a bit because the pollen count is excessively high where I live currently, record high and it's been severely debilitating. I recently heard allergies are closely linked to dehydration as the bodies response to it is too release more histamine, or something to that effect. So it seems alcohol not only has histamine but the dehydration effects of alcohol could further increase histamine levels, equalling a double whammy. We obviously know how badly alcohol affects health but it's always good to hear further reinforcement of that. As if I didn't need further encouragement that alcohol is terrible, but allergies are a real bummer and this will provide me with extra motivation for sobriety. Thanks all ☺️

​​​
Old 11-18-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
over hung over

Originally Posted by Zura View Post
Hi all,

. I recently heard allergies are closely linked to dehydration as the bodies response to it is too release more histamine, or something to that effect. So it seems alcohol not only has histamine but the dehydration effects of alcohol could further increase histamine levels, equalling a double whammy.

​​​
Thanx Zura. You sent me looking for that connection and there is plenty to say that it exists.
The constant sniffles was something I'd never experienced until a couple of years ago. It has turned out to be very hard to shake off. Want very much to see if I can get rid of it through sobriety. Don't want to be using meds to offset the effects of alcohol, constant sniffing and noseblowing ain't such a good look these days either.
Ok...off into a new day, its all blue and sunshine out the kitchen window.....good start. Finish some work first, then the rest of the day is my own. Got stuff to do for the weekend.....weekends are always the difficult bit. This will be the third weekend in a row once through it.
Have a good day all,
Catch u's later....
Old 11-18-2021, 12:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome Zura, feel free to pop in anytime : ) We're all working on making it to (and past) 180 days, and some have done a lot better than others, myself included..

There's no doubt in my mind about the connection between alcoholic drinks and my allergies (which are numerous). In fact the last few times I had anything to drink, one of the first reactions is a sneeze! Red wine is the worst, due to the sulfites, but beer does it too. So for (many) reasons beyond the alcohol itself it's best for me to steer clear of drinking.

Glad things are going well, Pline and that you're planning for the weekend ahead. Planned activities and having healthy things to drink is what helps me the most.

Dusty, I'm so glad this thread is helping you, as it's helping me. There's so much strength in groups, especially diverse ones, as I learned early in my management career.

BABM - where have you been my friend? I know you're a busy man but we love to hear from you.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
over hung over

Babm?
Old 11-18-2021, 06:47 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Life has been so damn busy. I hate my job. I know it’s partly me. But it’s partly the job and some of the people. Well my boss pissed me off majorly the other day. He’s a good guy, but he’s off base. And I bit my tongue, went to the internet and started shooting out resumes. The main company I wanted emailed me back two days later. I have a second interview soon. Better job. Better pay. More in my wheelhouse. I hope it works out. If not, I’ll be ok. But it’s a good thing that I can make a move like that. The high profile company is in Seattle but they are ok with me being remote and they are even opening an office in my city. Crazy fortune.

I have had zero desire to drink. The obsession has been removed. I just don’t see it as an option any more. It caused me so much pain and money and time. I associate it with all of those things. I get scared that someday I’ll want it again. But today as I sit here, there is no appeal. And I could not be more grateful for that. 158 days.

I’m taking 9 kids to a cabin this weekend. One other parent is coming with me. Should be fun. A lady friend of mine was going to go but backed out because she thought the idea of 9 kids aged 10-14 didn’t sound fun. I don’t blame her. But it sounds fun to me. I love my kids and I love their friends. And I thoroughly enjoy doing fun things like this. We’re going to do a scavenger hunt and sit by the fire (it will be 20F at night). So whenever I pair up with a gal, she better LOVE kids.

Still oscillating between loneliness and comfort in isolation. Dunno what it will take for that to resolve, trying to stay patient.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good move, BABM.. and the kids are just part of your hectic lifestyle, haha.

Glad things are going well - enjoy your time in the mountains. It does sound like fun!
Old 11-18-2021, 08:07 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
over hung over

All sounds good BABM. All the best for the new gig.
Isolation? It can be lonely, and it can be easy, relaxed solitude too. I've had quite a while to get to like it now, and there is a lot to like sometimes. Life is just simpler, easier and, if you can get on with yourself okay, relatively conflict free.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

True words Pline, it's always a balance, like everything in life. I'm naturally kind of a loner and need a lot of space, but now that I'm retired and have created so much peace and solitude, I do miss having a partner to share life and travel with. I think the forced pandemic isolation made me realize how much human contact we do need, which is one reason I'm planning on moving into my smaller place that has more people around. I also still have a lot of things on my bucket list, and really don't want to travel alone anymore. Did too much of that when I was younger. Adventures are more enjoyable (for me) when they're shared with someone special.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
over hung over

Morning check in.....Day 16. Sober Saturday morning is a gift.
Yesterday afternoon was another drinking moment. I got onto the journal. I wrote out exactly what would happen this weekend and into next week if I pulled off the main road and bought that carton of beers. Then I wrote out what could happen this weekend if I didn't. The first was complete inevitability, the second held possibility. Made the choice.

Adv....like you I've travelled alone quite a bit now. Its a very different experience. I'd see the travelling couples, in their little bubbles of companionship looking at it all as spectacle, taking pictures of each other standing in front of things. Travelling alone, you have to be totally turned outwards, completely switched on to everything thats happening around you. If it goes wrong....you're on your own. You become hyper vigilant, hyper aware. It can make it a very intense experience. Had some unforgettable moments solo, some wonderful, some frightening. All v memorable. I miss it a lot.

I'm coming up to 10 years solo v soon. Have sometimes wondered if it was the AV's greatest win.

Anyway. Not today.
Later

Old 11-19-2021, 05:10 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pline View Post
Adv....like you I've travelled alone quite a bit now. Its a very different experience. I'd see the travelling couples, in their little bubbles of companionship looking at it all as spectacle, taking pictures of each other standing in front of things. Travelling alone, you have to be totally turned outwards, completely switched on to everything thats happening around you. If it goes wrong....you're on your own. You become hyper vigilant, hyper aware. It can make it a very intense experience. Had some unforgettable moments solo, some wonderful, some frightening. All v memorable. I miss it a lot.

I'm coming up to 10 years solo v soon. Have sometimes wondered if it was the AV's greatest win.

Anyway. Not today.
Later
I hear you brother.. I hear you.. in all respects. The adventure, the experiences, the occasional close call. Situational awareness is key.. and you feel so alive.

Great job on the journal and writing it all out. That my friend is fighting hard - for your life, and what you want from it. You will get it, and you have my respect.

I rolled up 30 miles of desert this evening and think a Pizza Bianca is in order. Or whatever the fennel sausage and mushroom is called, haha.

Stay strong everybody, and have an awesome sober weekend.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Saturday morning here in the Sonoran Desert. Had a great night's sleep. Off on a chilly motorcycle ride soon.

Hope all are well and enjoying a sober weekend!
Old 11-20-2021, 12:01 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
over hung over

Sunday morning quiet and grey.
Day 17......slept through last night. I cannot remember the last time I did that.
Do normies feel this good every morning?
Anyway......go and get into it.
Have a good day all, on we go.
Later
Old 11-20-2021, 12:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome advbike. I've been following along with the thread since it started. I'm early days in sobriety but have reached my DONE point. Time to concentrate on reclaiming health and vitality.

Early Sunday morning here too Pline, hope your weekend is going well.

BABM, sounds like a great getaway with the kiddos, enjoy.

I'm not 'well' travelled, have not even done much travel around Australia, but it's certainly something I'd love to do more off both domestically and internationally. Thus far I've taken consolation in extensively exploring my local wilderness in lil half day/day trips. Plenty to see and enjoy around here. I also love nature documentaries and live vicariously through them 😂.

Best of luck to all on a great sober weekend ☺️
Old 11-20-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
over hung over

Actually Zura.....I'd like to see more of Aus.
I only know Melb and Sydney....it is a blind spot that post covid, it might be time to fix.
Probably a bit boring.....but I'd like to go to Canberra for the museums.
Flown over all that red desert quite a few times, but never been on the ground.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Zura. You can do it and have a great life. Great job on the sleep, Pline. Yes, it's what normies and non-drinkers get all the time. Amazing, isn't it? I slept 6 hours straight last night and it was awesome..

Both of you are killing me with all this talk, as I've never been to Australia. Would love to see Melbourne, Sydney and the red desert, and do that Great Ocean Road someday. I have an expat friend from the Philippines who is from Brisbane, an older chap but still does the camping thing with his wife, and a tent on the top of his car, every time he goes back. A real character.

Onward, friends.. have a great Sunday and week ahead. It will be Thanksgiving week here.