Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part Three

last part here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-two-20.html
Old 08-28-2021, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!?
Old 08-28-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess there’s an upside to being late to the party! But now I am very curious to hear what your wake up song was, ClearPath. I wish I could listen to music more. I also wish I could figure out a better way to find good Spotify playlists to find other things I would like. I think I like to collect more than curate. Recipes, songs, lists of books to read. That kind of thing.

Sun not up here. It’s 75 degrees at a little before 6. Earlier in the week the mornings were all in the 80s. The plants look pretty sad, though we did have an unusually wet summer for TX so I can’t really complain that the crisping eventually happened. I just still wish it would rain though. My heart always hurts for friends in the west, esp. CA.

Erratic, do you think it will be tough in general when your husband drinks going forward? I ask because I’ve found it’s such a trigger for me. Less that I want to join him but more annoyed.

Erratic talking about her job made me curious. If you are willing to share, what do some of the rest of you do? I am a lawyer but not really a lawyer’s-lawyer. More of a public policy person than a litigator. More of a legal work mule than a legal eagle. I work for a nonprofit. COVID helped me leave a terrible job that probably would have put me in an early grave from stress. Still have stress and annoyances and overwhelm but it’s much better overall. People aren’t continually angry at you for whatever you do no matter how hard you work as they were in my old job.

Have a super day! Hope to be back soon.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi all

Congrats on Shotgun numblady
Hope everyone has a wonderful sober Saturday
Old 08-28-2021, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Happy Saturday.

We are heading back home this morning. A long day in the car and looking forward to going home and sleeping in my own bed.

Numblady, I just retired last month but was in a sales position for a worldwide company. Lots of business travel all over the US, many meetings, conferences, client entertainment events that involved a lot of drinking. I actually think retirement will help cutting out the alcohol, though I did have a bad slip within the past 30 days. I am finding it a bit easier this time.

I was re-reading some of my older posts from years ago and was shocked (though I shouldn’t have been) at how many times I wrote that I was at a conference and so hungover I could hardly function. And also how many times I wrote I was having blackouts. Didn’t realize I started having those so far back. Geez.

LHW
Old 08-28-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm checking in this morning and reading all the posts I've missed by being in the Eastern US as well as having thankfully slept wonderfully last night. Today begins day 25 of sobriety for me. This is the longest stretch I've had by two days at this point. I am still feeling committed but in all honesty find my resolve weakening in the evenings. 6 PM = wine time for me every day for a very long time. I also have a husband who is still drinking and I have not told him I've made a commitment to be alcohol free forever yet. As of now, he's chalking it up to the fact that I'm doing all things healthy trying to heal from my surgery which was 3 weeks ago so not really asking any questions. I don't feel ready to say the words "I'm not drinking anymore" yet. He's heard me say that many, many times the morning after a very long night and seen me pouring at 6 PM that day.

It sounds like some of you have great plans for your sober weekend (I love to host family birthdays/holidays). Me? I'll be sitting as much as possible reading or watching Netflix/Amazon movies. An upside of being sober is that I find television much more appealing because I can actually absorb the details of a movie instead of starting one and nodding off due to the effects of wine.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 25 is wonderful dear katlin s ❤️

Old 08-28-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katlin View Post
I'm checking in this morning and reading all the posts I've missed by being in the Eastern US as well as having thankfully slept wonderfully last night. Today begins day 25 of sobriety for me. This is the longest stretch I've had by two days at this point. I am still feeling committed but in all honesty find my resolve weakening in the evenings. 6 PM = wine time for me every day for a very long time. I also have a husband who is still drinking and I have not told him I've made a commitment to be alcohol free forever yet. As of now, he's chalking it up to the fact that I'm doing all things healthy trying to heal from my surgery which was 3 weeks ago so not really asking any questions. I don't feel ready to say the words "I'm not drinking anymore" yet. He's heard me say that many, many times the morning after a very long night and seen me pouring at 6 PM that day.

It sounds like some of you have great plans for your sober weekend (I love to host family birthdays/holidays). Me? I'll be sitting as much as possible reading or watching Netflix/Amazon movies. An upside of being sober is that I find television much more appealing because I can actually absorb the details of a movie instead of starting one and nodding off due to the effects of wine.
25 days is great ! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

afternoon x
took my tablet, feeling bit out of sorts today but going through with it
great job katlin on ur weeks ur doing good x understand also about the witching hr
numblady thanks for your reply and hub isnt going to be drinking again this week as he feesl crap after last night lol i just have to remind myself that im doing good and can keep this up x glad u found a job thats easier for you hun x

hope u all have good rest of day oh
Old 08-28-2021, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are doing SO well dear Erratic! s
Old 08-28-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 25 days Katlin
Hi Lamb That picture you use is so cute I can't stop looking at it!
You're doing amazing Erratic i'm really pleased for you
Hi Venus, Numblady and LHW
Old 08-28-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sunday morning here, 4.50am. I'm an early bird, been up for a while already. I find the diversity here very interesting in terms of location, timezones, weather etc. We are in the last days of winter here, I live in a cold winter climate (for Australia) and not missing the teeth chattering weather one bit. I'm looking forward to the sun rising earlier and earlier and it warming up so I can get outside at sun up. It gets hot in mid summer though and I'm fair skinned so I have to hibernate inside out of the harsh sun in the peak heat times.

Sounds like everyone is going quite well. Clearpath your family day sounds great! Hope you all enjoy your weekend.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Morning Zura

Hi someday and everyone ❤️
Old 08-28-2021, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks for all your lovely messages of support last night. I really appreciate it. Just had a bit of a mental breakdown. I'm ok now and am strong in my resolve to get and stay sober.

Like Erratic I'm also in Scotland but on the other coast Also next to the sea. Today we hit 20 degrees. That is seriously hot for Scotland-swimsuit in the garden weather(prob do that at 15 degrees tbh!) Got some chores done this morning, took Jr RAL to sports and collected him. Then sat in the sun and read this evening which was idyllic. Not done that for a long time. Now watching SEAL team. Love David Boreanz

Hope everyone else is doing ok.xx
Old 08-28-2021, 12:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So glad you are feeling better today dear RAL s
Old 08-28-2021, 12:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RAL

Thanks Suze, How are you? xx
Old 08-28-2021, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A bit out of sorts....I have spent hours fixing things that corrupted on this computer and I am wasting my time.
Something that is way over my head is wrong with it....I fix everything and then something else stops working.
It all went kablooie when I backed up to OneDrive. Sigh. Never again.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RAL

oh that's awful I'm so sorry. I don't understand such things either and get so frustrated when technical stuff goes wrong. I hope you can get it sorted and enjoy the rest of your saturday xx
Old 08-28-2021, 03:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post
I guess there’s an upside to being late to the party! But now I am very curious to hear what your wake up song was, ClearPath. I wish I could listen to music more. I also wish I could figure out a better way to find good Spotify playlists to find other things I would like. I think I like to collect more than curate. Recipes, songs, lists of books to read. That kind of thing.

Sun not up here. It’s 75 degrees at a little before 6. Earlier in the week the mornings were all in the 80s. The plants look pretty sad, though we did have an unusually wet summer for TX so I can’t really complain that the crisping eventually happened. I just still wish it would rain though. My heart always hurts for friends in the west, esp. CA.

Erratic, do you think it will be tough in general when your husband drinks going forward? I ask because I’ve found it’s such a trigger for me. Less that I want to join him but more annoyed.

Erratic talking about her job made me curious. If you are willing to share, what do some of the rest of you do? I am a lawyer but not really a lawyer’s-lawyer. More of a public policy person than a litigator. More of a legal work mule than a legal eagle. I work for a nonprofit. COVID helped me leave a terrible job that probably would have put me in an early grave from stress. Still have stress and annoyances and overwhelm but it’s much better overall. People aren’t continually angry at you for whatever you do no matter how hard you work as they were in my old job.

Hi, Numblady - in answer to your question about work: I am recently retired from a high stress career in Healthcare management. Over my career I worked in local hospitals, for large hospital corporations and as a consultant traveling weekly across the country in that capacity. Lots of airports, lots of interesting places, and lots of hotel bars at the end of the day to relax before bedtime. I spent my last year of working basically from home due to Covid but decided to step away as I had planned to do for a couple of years before the pandemic. I got out a little before normal retirement age (I'm 61 now) hoping to enjoy life without full-time work. I had thought at one point I might take on part-time consulting work but as of this writing I'm enjoying not working at all.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post

Hi, Numblady - in answer to your question about work: I am recently retired from a high stress career in Healthcare management. Over my career I worked in local hospitals, for large hospital corporations and as a consultant traveling weekly across the country in that capacity. Lots of airports, lots of interesting places, and lots of hotel bars at the end of the day to relax before bedtime. I spent my last year of working basically from home due to Covid but decided to step away as I had planned to do for a couple of years before the pandemic. I got out a little before normal retirement age (I'm 61 now) hoping to enjoy life without full-time work. I had thought at one point I might take on part-time consulting work but as of this writing I'm enjoying not working at all.