Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part Two

Old 08-21-2021, 01:16 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
That is correct kittencat! Born in '64. Class of '82. Sobriety class '21. Slow learner.
Slow learner? Nooooooo we are slackers.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:31 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Wow! I came late today and there is so much activity. Glad to see Jo and Kittencat and to have AC back posting and really just all the activity and rooting for one another.

I feel like there were other things I wanted to say to ClearPath and Dee from posting before I went to sleep last night but I can’t remember that, either.

Well, I suppose I’ll just say hello and see if stuff comes to me. We are having company over tonight. So it will be heavy drinking for everyone but me and the kids. I’m ok with the not drinking part because it is pleasurable to be around friends and eating good food. But when the evening goes on and they all get buzzed energy and may even get slurry and whatever else, that’s when I just want to go to bed. The times that are hardest for me to deal with communal events and drinking are: dates with my husband (no buffer and he just drinks an excessive quantity and then fixates on something to talk about obsessively), visiting my family (it’s one of the few times I feel more like I can relax and I just want to have fun with my sister and her husband and even sometimes my mom…), and vacation.

Which is why I’m still super worried about our trip to FL and all staying in a beautiful beach house together right on the beach.

Hope everyone makes it through this 24 happy and sober!
Old 08-21-2021, 04:24 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

.yeah that's a tough one NL. I prefer going to other peoples houses cos I can leave when I want.

I guess when people hit a certain point of drunkenness they won't really notice if you're there or not - that could be your queue to excuse yourself and go to bed?

D
Old 08-21-2021, 05:07 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good luck tonight NL. Maybe you can gravitate towards the kids area as the night progresses. This would be a tough one for me to navigate as well. Maybe someone will surprise you and be your non-drinking buddy.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sitting here on Saturday night, staring out my home office window as the sun is beginning to set. Thinking about the differing challenges that we are all facing on our roads to recovery. Numblady is dealing with social situations where drinking is prevalent, while I'm dealing with solitude. Some of us are young and trying to figure out how to navigate the world with the crappy hand that they have been dealt. Others of us are looking back with regret on things they should have done differently in their formative years. Yet we're all in this place, trying to get it right. I'm so thankful tonight for SR and for all of you. I want nothing more than for all of us to succeed, and to see us posting here in 10 years, telling the new members how to navigate social situations, or how to deal with living alone. And imploring them to never EVER give up on themselves.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:05 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hello Class! Who's getting ready for a hurricane?? Me!!!!! Spent the WHOLE day outside cleaning up and putting things away. 2 weeks ago, that would NOT have happened. Took a nice shower, had a good meal and came to check on my classmates while I sip some seltzer with a dog and a cat dozing next to me. It's the little things.

FreedomFries, you are in a very precarious spot- please be aware that you under the full control of your AV when you say goodbye to alcohol by using alcohol. I've been there enough to know.... It's your journey and you have to find your way, but don't plan on much of it being gentle- you are in a fight for your life. I'm sending you more love and strength, you can stop drinking as soon as you decide to, keep coming here and posting.

Numblady- So sorry you had a disagreement with the H, but good for you having a fight with the H! So often we are trying to smooth things over and we get lost in the mix, especially if we feel guilt or shame for our previous behavior or, are trying not to pop off like alcohol used to incline us to do. You sure are right- even misunderstandings are better without the haze of drinking. It's so much better to mean what we say and actually remember it and know it's coming from a valid place. As for the company- I'd totally sneak off to bed!

ClearPath64, I hope you took my comment in the good-natured spirit in which it was intended. It sounds like you had a lovely day with your family and that's a gift. As for being lonely, I hear that completely, but it's temporary. And you have us! Good job on the 21 days!

I enjoy coming here at the end of the day and checking in and seeing how everyone is doing. It's nice to be back at SR, I somehow forgot how welcoming and comforting it could be- I'm fairly sure if I had come here before I fell off my path, well, I probably wouldn't have fallen off so dang hard, if at all. But, I guess there was another lesson for me to learn and from the new sense of peace and gratitude I've been experiencing after last week's debacle, I think I get it. It's not only OK to ask for help, it's required. The weight that has been lifted from me feels epic, and I don't remember feeling this before.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:08 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Day 15
Old 08-21-2021, 07:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post

ClearPath64, I hope you took my comment in the good-natured spirit in which it was intended. It sounds like you had a lovely day with your family and that's a gift. As for being lonely, I hear that completely, but it's temporary. And you have us! Good job on the 21 days!
Absolutely Viking. I knew where you were coming from. Regarding the hurricane, my oldest daughter, who now lives in NYC, had to cut her girls trip to Key West short, to get back before the storm hits up there. She was really bummed out as they had several fun things planned.

I'm so glad that you have a new lease on life. I noticed that you have been very active on the various threads around here, and you have so much good wisdom to share. Glad that we are going through this together. Have a good night.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:36 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay safe VGF - and anyone else in the path of the storm.

D
Old 08-21-2021, 11:45 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 2. Hungover from a massive food binge. Don't feel up to eating breakfast.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:22 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Ate breakfast. Just a light sandwich and some water. Dinner and tea are going to be heavy calorie wise so diet starts tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:42 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Hope you are all well on this lovely Sunday!

I know what you mean nl with finding social situations harder with family. I find it hard with mine too but I managed it a few weeks ago which gave me huge strength to know I’m doing the right thing. Just keep doing it your awesome!

Hoping the hurricane doesn’t do much damage!

Its lovely to be back chatting with you all as I’ve missed it.

Having a resting day as tooth not being fixed until tomorrow then taking kids swimming on tues. part of the new me consists of making sure I spend time with them. Much easier and enjoyable without the hangover!! I’m reminded to enjoy every moment even when my 14yr old is being a Kevin as this will pass. They grow so quickly xx
Old 08-22-2021, 05:12 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Jo, ha! I’ve got to learn what it means to “be a Kevin” now!

Thanks for all the supportive words about last night. I should have come back for inspiration to just leave them be and go to bed myself because I ended up staying up past 11 with the company having a hard time staying awake. The only one obnoxiously overloaded was my husband. He was kind of an a## (for example he started to pass out as soon as company was leaving and then proceeded to get mad at me and my son because we were “still awake” then sent me angry texts about basically how his marathon training was important so he was going to bed—as though I was the one who made him drunk and kept him up…very annoying).

VikingGF, that is so true about always just wanting to smooth things over. I think that’s how I got to where I am! Speaking of where we are, wishing you all the safety and protection in the world for when the storm bears down on/near you.

ClearPath, I love your observant, thoughtful posts. I thought it was just so healthy the way you and your ex supported your son and that you have enough of a remove to just care for her, enjoy her company, and even be happy for her. I wonder, in terms of the solitude, are there other activities that you do enjoy? I think we both share an affinity for cycling? I mean you are obviously a grown up who can figure this out. I think I’m just hoping for you there’s some rich experiences and connections out there waiting for you—that don’t involve alcohol. Or at least don’t revolve solely around alcohol.

way to go, Lamb!

FF, I worry for you. You are putting so much pressure on yourself with food. I think the intensity of trying to suppress urges to eat at the same time you are resisting the urge to drink alcohol is pushing you toward more self-hating, self-harming behaviors. I hope you will seek additional help. Huge hugs.

Thinking of all our classmates and hoping they are succeeding and feeling the momentum of a clarified life. Hope everyone has a fantastic Sunday! I may try to pop in later too. Got a lot to do today, though. Including yoga, taking kids swimming, maybe nails with my daughter, work catch-up and working on paperwork for divorce attorney consult! That last one feels empowering right now. May make me sad when I start to actually do it but right now just kind of makes me feel motivated.

Happy Sunday!
Old 08-22-2021, 05:45 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone.

I have good news and bad news! The good news is I got engaged yesterday!!!!!

The bad news is the AV convinced me that I could have “ just one” to celebrate. We all know where that ended up. My hangover this morning is severe…well, I guess they all are, aren’t they?

Trying to regroup and refocus today, We are heading out of town again tomorrow to visit my Mother..haven’t seen her in over a year. With the bad weather moving up the coast, we might postpone the drive till Tuesday as we don’t want to be driving in heavy rain all day. We will have to wait and see what it’s like when we get up in the morning. Thank goodness we weren’t driving today, there is no way I could have done it.

Trying not to beat myself up over last night. I am so mad at myself. I know better and I can do better. My wonderful fiancée (I love calling him that now) just went out to the store to get me ginger ale and crackers since I don’t feel like I will be able to hold anything down. Sigh…..

I am going back a few pages to reread one of Dee’s posts that inspired me recently. In fact, I am going to print it out and keep it with me.

I’m so tired of all this and I never want to feel this way again. I should be out doing something fun today.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:08 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Sitting here on Saturday night, staring out my home office window as the sun is beginning to set. Thinking about the differing challenges that we are all facing on our roads to recovery. Numblady is dealing with social situations where drinking is prevalent, while I'm dealing with solitude. Some of us are young and trying to figure out how to navigate the world with the crappy hand that they have been dealt. Others of us are looking back with regret on things they should have done differently in their formative years. Yet we're all in this place, trying to get it right. I'm so thankful tonight for SR and for all of you. I want nothing more than for all of us to succeed, and to see us posting here in 10 years, telling the new members how to navigate social situations, or how to deal with living alone. And imploring them to never EVER give up on themselves.
Amen dear CP ~ awesome post. s xx ❤️
Sending you love.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:08 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday morning friends!

I couldn't get to sleep last night so spent most of the night reading a book, laughing at silly stuff on Imgur and glanced over here and saw your post VikingGF. I was on my phone and when you said hurricane I clicked on your avatar immediately trying to find out if you lived in Florida. lol I see it does not show where someone lives on the phone app. I don't watch the news and thought a hurricane was on it's way here so I had to quickly search to find out how much time I had to bring in everything from the patio. Pure panic until I saw it was headed elsewhere. Please stay safe. x

Congrats on 15 days, Lamb! What a precious avatar pic <3

Oh Clear Path, you sound so lonely. Empty nest? Now you have time to read a book or pick up a new hobby or perhaps an old one you enjoyed when younger. Enjoy the freedom of that solitude while you have it! It won't last forever. x
Old 08-22-2021, 06:12 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Dear LHW,

Old 08-22-2021, 06:17 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your engagement LHW
Wouldn’t it be wonderful now for you to start this new chapter by finally leaving drinking in the past?

D
Old 08-22-2021, 06:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

What a great supportive class! You all are amazing
Old 08-22-2021, 06:30 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on your engagement LHW
Wouldn’t it be wonderful now for you to start this new chapter by finally leaving drinking in the past?

D
Thank you and yes, Dee, I intend to do that! I was widowed 11 years ago and never thought I would again find such happiness as I do with my fiancée. I want to spend every day with him being happy and enjoying our time together. Life is too short to be hungover.

Thanks, Venuscat!