Notices

Class of May 2021 Support thread Part Two

Old 05-25-2021, 04:36 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Not much to contribute at the moment. But I am glad to read all of the posts here.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Free.

So good to read all of your posts.

Good to be sober.

Stay well. G’night.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Day 5. I'm going back to work. It will be 2 years in June that my restaurant had closed. I had worked there 15 years, i got a bit depressed for a few months. I had interviews the week we shut down for covid, interviews cancelled, covid lasts another year. My drinking got worse, I went on an SSRI, and i started to make an effort to actually quit. It's been a journey. I began applying at restaurants a couple of days ago and have two interviews. I'm scared to put myself out there again. Getting the interviews, thinking about going to the interviews...and made me want to drink tonight. Also the thought of getting off my shift and not having a drink scares me. I'll deal with that one when i get there. I am excited to join the land of the living. But new obstacles to overcome and work through.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:27 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really believe you can get your life back without drinking BtG.
Living sober is a skill like anything else - the more we do it the easier it gets

Have faith - face the fear!

D
Old 05-25-2021, 11:52 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

You can do this BTG!!

Morning all! Feeling achy today from a mental legs bums and tums class yesterday but I’m so glad to be sober and have this wonderful life. It’s my kids half term next week and whilst I have to work 3 days of it I’ve booked swimming and badminton to do with this for the other days. The alcoholic me wouldn’t have done this she would have been in bed or drunk when not at work but the sober me is let’s get going and do stuff!!! I’m loving my sober life!! Xx
Old 05-26-2021, 12:37 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

BtG, I understand the fear of getting back to work. I've been "in between jobs" since September after four years in the restaurant industry. Something about waiting tables and serving food makes ya really want a drink. I get you. I'm glad you found a good SSRI for you- I'm on Zoloft and it really works for me. I actually just barely got a job again myself, I filled out the paperwork today. I start training tomorrow. My social anxiety is worse than it was last time I worked because I'm so nervous to have coworkers again. I've been craving anything that'll calm my nerves. We can get through this together!

I read one more page of my book with my boyfriend today. I started crying again, because the truth was really hard to face. I didn't realize how much I had been harming myself and the book had exactly what I had been going through nearly perfectly on the paper. It was almost scary to read, how accurate it was. I'm gonna have to take it one page at a time because it's really overwhelming.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:54 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Living sober is a skill like anything else - the more we do it the easier it gets

D
I cannot agree more with this.

There is a wonderful book called Living Sober that is a fantastic companion for sober life, a how-to navigate all things now we are sober.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:55 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jo43 View Post
You can do this BTG!!

Morning all! Feeling achy today from a mental legs bums and tums class yesterday but I’m so glad to be sober and have this wonderful life. It’s my kids half term next week and whilst I have to work 3 days of it I’ve booked swimming and badminton to do with this for the other days. The alcoholic me wouldn’t have done this she would have been in bed or drunk when not at work but the sober me is let’s get going and do stuff!!! I’m loving my sober life!! Xx
Go Jo!!! s ❤️
Old 05-26-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

One page at a time sounds good dear Happy s xxxxx ❤️

And congrats to you and BTG....

I worked in that industry too for years and I hear you re how triggering it is.
Remember we are right here....take a five minute break and get on your phone if it gets tough. s
Old 05-26-2021, 04:58 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Morning darling Citrus s xxxxxxxxx ❤️
Old 05-26-2021, 07:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happylandfills View Post
BtG, I understand the fear of getting back to work. I've been "in between jobs" since September after four years in the restaurant industry. Something about waiting tables and serving food makes ya really want a drink. I get you. I'm glad you found a good SSRI for you- I'm on Zoloft and it really works for me. I actually just barely got a job again myself, I filled out the paperwork today. I start training tomorrow. My social anxiety is worse than it was last time I worked because I'm so nervous to have coworkers again. I've been craving anything that'll calm my nerves. We can get through this together!

I read one more page of my book with my boyfriend today. I started crying again, because the truth was really hard to face. I didn't realize how much I had been harming myself and the book had exactly what I had been going through nearly perfectly on the paper. It was almost scary to read, how accurate it was. I'm gonna have to take it one page at a time because it's really overwhelming.
Thx Happy, yes the restaurant industry and drinking go hand in hand. And the thought of new co workers/people after 2 years of isolation can be overwhelming! We can get thru it Keep reading your book, one page at a time, one day at a time.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:50 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon Suze!! 💗
Old 05-26-2021, 11:05 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Thanks Dee! I feel like I'm finally figuring out how to navigate my home life and social situations and it seems really intimidating to add more, but I'm sure it will be fine and with time, i will find my new norm.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:11 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Best of luck on your interviews Backtogood!

And happylandfills, hope you enjoy your first day of training!

Jo, badminton and swimming? Great choices, you'll have so much fun! I haven't played badminton in years, or croquet now that I think about it. I miss both. Swimming I still enjoy, I went to our little pool this morning and just did a bit of side and breast stroke until an elderly gentleman came to practice walking in the water so I let him have the pool. Looked like he recently had a knee replaced.

Citrus, you contribute plenty just by being here with us!

TiredCarpenter, it's great being sober!
Old 05-26-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
Not much to contribute at the moment. But I am glad to read all of the posts here.
I feel like this sometimes too, but find it helpful to read along. Not everyday is filled with dramatic or deep, insight into my new sobriety. Most days lately are just days, lol. I guess that’s a good thing!

This morning, hubs and I went to choose tiles first our bathroom remodel. I’m getting excited about that. It was quite a change from drinking days to easily get up and be ready to go somewhere at 9am.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:19 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

BTG, good luck job interviewing! And Happy, congratulations on the job. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Hi everyone else and Suze, and Dee. 🙂💕
Old 05-26-2021, 12:46 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I am not talkative today either....I know right....

(I am actually completely exhausted and sore from hours of gardening yesterday )
Old 05-26-2021, 01:34 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
Good luck with your interviews BTG!
I know what you and Happy mean about the restaurant industry, I worked in restaurants and bars for several years and I drank a lot. But I do remember a couple of coworkers who didn’t drink at all. They always had their act together and never came to work hungover or called in sick because of hangovers. I remember one girl in particular that rarely stayed for after work drinks, and if she did it was only ever a soft drink, but she always seemed so happy and bright, and the customers loved her, and I remember thinking way back then (many years ago) that she really had worked out a better way to live. It is possible to live a happy sober life, and in hindsight she was a shining example of living a happy sober life. Sadly I can’t remember her name, I was already enmeshed in the darkness of the bottle in those days.

But no more. Not going back there again.

I found out last night that I have to go out to a pub restaurant tonight for dinner. It has been organised for my birthday by my partner so I can’t really not go. Two of my old heavy drinking buddies of many many years have been invited too, and I will have to remain very vigilant because I will be the only non drinking person there, and I just know that people will try to buy me drinks I think there’s about 10 people going. Not one of them will be sober. Except me. I will be sober. I will tell them all right at the start that I don’t want any drinks bought for me.
And I will be the sober driver and I have to work tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a thought for next time Willow...if I was newly sober, and someone organised a birthday get together for me with drinking buddies in a pub, I’d get them to change it.

yes it’s lovely when our loved ones organise something - but if it’s not what we want, or not in our best interests,
I reckon we can ask for what we want, especially on our birthday

D
Old 05-26-2021, 01:43 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Phoebe
congrats to everyone on another sober day

D