Notices

Class of March 2016 Part 86

Old 02-21-2021, 09:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Mornin' everybody.

Sam, I've quit countin' days. I know the date of my last beer though. I'm over a year. Years are my count now!
Old 02-21-2021, 03:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Just finished an all nighter finishing a presentation on the relevance of a protest poster to feminism and art. It'll do.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:53 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

An all nighter? I'm 100% sure I couldn't pull that off anymore - way to go PJ

Just a quick evening check-in ... you guys will have to put up with a few more posts each day from me for a while, until I feel like I've gotten a little traction. Who knows, maybe a few more posts each day even after that!! Haha ...

A decent day today - typical mundane Sunday tasks, but also a lot of time catching up around here on SR.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:59 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

ah the allniters...

had to be a mimed version cos the official clip has some drinking themes

Glad you get it done PJ
Old 02-22-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'm here and I'm good. Sorry, life got busy. We got snowed in with the grandkids last week. It was fun, but we were sure glad to send them home.

((MITA)) dude. You can do this and you are doing a great job. Life sucks sometimes, but I'm glad you didn't go down the rabbit hole.

BBG - I'm so excited for you and 1 year sober!

immri- it's so good to see you. Congratulations on 4 years!

Sam - I know what you mean. A line from the Big Book says, "That special relationship with alcohol will always be there, waiting to seduce me again." I'm glad you keep posting and stating your fears. You are doing a phenomenal job.

Suze - I hope it wasn't a nightmare. Love you!

Hey, Purps, Lixie, PHX, 13th, Caramel and Lillian.

Hi Dee.

Be awesome, awesome friends. Have a great day!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:51 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey Bobbie and Hey everyone!!

I'm feeling pretty good right now, happy about getting back on the good side of living. I think, while I had a good stint of sobriety, I never really made some of the fundamental changes I needed for sustainable recovery. To Dee's point, inherent in that was always the option to have a drink. I kind of felt it all along, which I think I mentioned from time-to-time, but I had enough tools at my disposal to keep me sober until things got too hard. I don't think I was a "dry drunk", but who knows really. I think one of the key missing items for me is that I've always tried to mostly live my old life, but just do it without drinking. That's proven to be a tricky road for me, and I think I need to make some additional changes in how I live my day-to-day, I guess in terms of both limiting temptations I get exposed to boosting support I get from people and activities that support a better life (sober life).

I'm going to try and expand my contacts and activity here, and I've been searching for other local sober groups - not like AA or SMART, but there are some sober hiking, sober golfing and just sober meetup groups in the area. I'm not particularly fond of doing new things and trying to meet new people, so I'll start slowly and see how it goes.

Have a great week!!

Old 02-22-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I am betting that if you Iike any of those activities, meeting sober peopIe sociaIisng is going to be fantastic.
I know Bobbie wiII agree with this ~ some of the most fun days I have ever had were at AA picnics or even one new year's eve dance.
The fact that sober peopIe are coming together to do activity groups is briIIiant....you make friends you can go see a movie with.
(When we can see movies again). Etc. s

And hi Bobbie. And no. It was nice....I was coming over to do something with you...not sure what. Something fun.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Yes, picnics, dances, trivia nights. We have a bowling event coming up. I think my favorite part of sobriety is the sober laughter. It's so authentic.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

a support system away from family is good
Old 02-22-2021, 06:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

A busy but somewhat frustrating day for me. Dealing with attorneys, government agencies and insurance companies. If you really love your kids, don't ever name one of them as executor of your estate - no matter how small It's a pain in the butt in its own right, and to have to do it when you're still a little out of sorts from the situation is a bizarre kind of experience.

I'm okay on the not drinking front, and my family is very together as we go through all this - no ugly scenes or anything like that.

Have a great night Marcheros!!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:48 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Continued prayers, MITA.

Last week it was -2 F (-19C). Today it is 60 F (15 C). Crazy weather here in the middle. I will enjoy it while we have it.

Have a great day, friends.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in - thanks for the prayers, Bobbie ... much appreciated!!

More boxes to check off today on the to-do list ... hopefully a little gym time this morning and some baby time this afternoon

Purps, how is the job situation? I seem to have lost track of what's going on with you during these last few messed up weeks.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:28 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

We have the exact same temperatures, Bobbie. Crazy!

Hope everyone is OK!
Old 02-23-2021, 05:36 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

That does sound like some crazy weather!

Hi MITA, tbh I've been trying not to talk about it too much....(me and my superstitions) but I should be done with my job after this week and starting something new....hopefully much better

Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

keep sharing MITA
a very long afternoon - a monologue defining dozens of art specific terms from dozens of images in a dark room
very tired
very sore
but most ok with staying the course
Old 02-24-2021, 02:25 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Morning!

It is warming up here after a deep freeze. They're actually calling for rain today rather than snow and +2. I'll take it!
Sadly I won't be out to enjoy it - work seems to get in the way of everything. Still working on the lottery but nothing yet.

Still plunking away sobriety wise. Some days feel overwhelming and some are easy - I guess that's the trade-off. Almost at 5 months and I will be celebrating with a haircut. Six months - maybe a new Fitbit

MITA - I feel the same about new people....blah. But it usually is a good thing when I force myself into it. I might just check to see if any sober groups happen around here

Well one more tea before I head out the door

Happy Hump Day!!
Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Happy Hump Day to you too Sam, and to all the Marcheros!!

Yesterday was better than Monday, but just by a little bit. I was reminded of Dan Harris' podcast "10% Happier". I don't know if I was 10% happier, but I was about 10% less frustrated!! Haha - maybe that is the same thing?!!! Anyway, seems like progress to me, so I'll take it

I am doing pretty good and maybe this last relapse has a little bit of a silver lining. I've often read people's comments about how they have to put their sobriety and recovery first, and many people start each day with a routine that includes a reminder of that even after years/decades of sobriety. In some ways, I guess I thought I could just ease into sobriety - just not drink, no big deal. Clearly I need to put more thought and effort in.

Thanks for listening, you guys are awesome!!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:18 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Or just the effort.
Which you are doing. s xx
Old 02-24-2021, 07:24 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I warned you I might be posting more often

A pretty decent day here - our weather is spectacular so I'm sending positive and warm thoughts to those of you where it's cold, rainy, snowy, etc.

I made it to the gym today - my second trip this week. I'm taking it easy the first few days back - I've been exercising long enough to know that doing too much too soon is a bad idea. Probably a general life lesson in there as well. Along those lines, while I've been happy with how my days are going I'm aware that 1) I'm just a few days into my current sobriety and 2) I need to keep a steady head and not get too excited or expect too much - I know that it's a constant and incremental process, so maybe baby steps are the right approach (sober baby steps for sure). Happy to hear comments, suggestions, etc. from anyone.

I hope everyone had a good hump day!!
Old 02-25-2021, 01:13 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

So glad you are posting, MITA! I think baby steps sounds like the way to go, I know I have to do it that way. I went to the gym yesterday too, for the first time in ten years. I am spectacularly unfit and 25 kg overweight, and I want to lose that weight, get fit and get sober. Too much at once for me. So, I'm focusing on my sobriety first, and slowly adding the gym sessions. When those habits are well formed, I can start thinking of my diet. I have never tried doing it this way before, and that gives me hope.