Notices

One Year & Over Part 79

Old 01-24-2021, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

One Year & Over Part 79

last part here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-78-a-20.html (One Year & Over Part 78)

D
Old 01-24-2021, 03:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you feel a little more secure Be.

For me the more things I faced sober the more capable I felt and the less I impulsively craved a drink when I felt any of the old triggers.

D
Old 01-24-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this new chapter monsieur Dee
Here's my Sober Overoo salute to you!

Have a good day ☼
Old 01-24-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Be123, I can’t really describe brain effects because I am in my seventies and my brain is deteriorating. Great that you are not polluting your brain anymore! I am still delighted to be sober for more reasons than I can count. Whatever your pattern of your brain clearing will be, in some respects, unique to you. Enjoy it and celebrate (non-alcoholically of course)! I still occasionally think of drinking but it’s far less strong and passes quickly. I don’t want to miss a minute of whatever time I have left!

hi Wolfie, PJ, CK, Dee, SG, Andy, FBL, Bekind, Suze, Mags, Toots, SE and everyone my fading brain is missing!

Old 01-24-2021, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sassy Iove and aII of the Overs. ❤️ s
Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the new part, Dee!

Ever since my Dad passed away in 2014, I've really started to examine my own spirituality. He was a regular church-goer, but that was never my thing. I feel closest to my Higher Power when I'm surrounded by nature. I've been doing online meetings where we study the Tao in depth and I really resonate with a lot of it. I've also come to terms the past couple of years with my sexuality. I fall somewhere on the aromantic/asexual scale. I'm now part of a support group where I can share openly about my situation. Just trying to constantly keep an open mind and spread the message of love and inclusion whenever I can.

Woke up to about 3 inches of snow this morning. We've had a very mild winter so far and haven't seen any bone-chilling cold snaps (yet!).

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 01-24-2021, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay! Found you guys!

I seemed to have skipped reading a few posts prior to my last post, so some "late to the convo" material

Sassy - Thrilled to hear that you are getting the vaccine!!!!! You are the first person I know getting it. It's really happening here in the US! Woot Woot

FBL - Brilliant, and inspiring work on jumpstarting your health focus (and feeling more energized!). Excited for you! Also I'm sorry to hear that your friend was diagnosed with cancer. I hope they caught is early, and I'm glad he feels comfortable to share his journey with you. You have supported a lot of people in your life this year - they are lucky to have you.

SG - To be fair, I'm in tune with Baby K in part b/c we've been shut inside a house together 24/7 with basically no breaks for a year . Covid is a unique time. Plus I keep a journal and write down 3 stories every week of "3 good things that happened this week" to help me remember things and I think that practice helps me to record them in my brain a bit better. I do it helpful to sit down and do it once a week to just get a different perspective of my day to day.

Be123 - Thx for posting! It's lovely to see new faces. Boy is mental clarity something that I struggled with!!!!! I agree with others, mental clarity was a continuum for me, and unique to everyone's circumstances. But I think the overarching pattern is that the more that you take care of yourself and the longer that you are sober, the more your brain (and you) heal.

My journey: When I first got sober, I think I had 3 months of just physical exhaustion when I slept a lot, followed by 6 months when my mental clarity actually plummeted (brain fog), but I recognized that I had 20 years of damage and that it would take a while to heal, so I just accepted it. I think that my brain fog started to noticeably lift consistently around a year for things like conversations (IE being able to hold onto a thought to come back to later if the convo went in a different direction for 10 mins), but I still struggled to read more than a few lines at a time. Vitamins (B12 - thamine? especially b/c I was deficient) and fish oil, eating well, getting sleep ALL helped with mental clarity during that time - I think I started to focus on that starting at about 3 months - you might be deficient on some things too health wise, and it's worth check doing an inventory on. During the first year I started with having periods of mental clarity, and those got more frequent until that evolved into the norm. I'm still noticing that I'm mentally sharper now at 8 year (I just read a full book cover to cover this week and retain the info easily). Emotional healing, that negative inner dialog, and other things have also helped get 'clarity' in ways beyond just capacity. Hope that helps!!!!! You're on the path. Keep Going!!!!

Well, baby is going to wake up soon, so my update will be a quick one today. The croissant that I had on my special day off gave me food poisoning!!!! It SUCKED. It was the sudden hit, evacuate at both ends at the same time panic situation, which then triggered contractions, which got baby boy all excited and kicking my diaphram for hours (so I couldn't get my breath) and upset tummy (which felt great!). Luckily contractions stopped after a few hours and I wasn't worried b/c I could tell they weren't actual labor, but I felt terrible for about 2 days from the whole ordeal.

Can't remember if I shared, but Dr. wants to induce a week early, so I'm looking at having a Valentines day baby now.

Hope everyone has a good weeks
Old 01-24-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yikes SE, that food poisoning when you are pregnant sounds a bit scary. I'm glad you are okay.

Life is just moving along. I'm almost always disappointed that I didn't get more done everyday but I try to focus on what I do accomplish.

Today I'm hoping to find some contact information for an investment change, fight back the paper piles a bit and do some reading. Nothing huge.

My sister has been working in a hospital for the pandemic and because of this has already received the first part of the vaccine. A few weeks later her husband got covid from a university class he was taking. Apparently everyone was masked but being in an unventilated room for long enough with someone shedding the vaccine was enough for him to get it. Their adult children also got it but my sister with only 1 part of the vaccine did not get it. I'm thinking this vaccine is a good thing.

Okay, I'm off to hack away at my day.

Onward Overs!
Old 01-24-2021, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight x
Old 01-24-2021, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was 42C here yesterday and there was a very serious fire in the Adelaide hills, hundreds of volunteers...attracting Federal aid. I has been reported a deliberately lit.

It is also covid's 1 year birthday. Wen I shutdown along with everything including my gym, art school and meetings. To cope- I discovered comfort eating, in a big way. So year later, specially since the birthday I shared with my dead bro (not twins, he died of multiple organ failure from booze ages ago, but he haunts my dreams- no a nice person drunk. We unplugged him. I woke up in the same bed, in the same ICU being looked after by the same staff that looked after him, from my induced coma from burns caused by my drinki9ng) is over- what better way to begin a new year than visiting the gym today, seriously for the first time (Ive been doing quite a lot of walking to try and find motivation),art school starts in 2w and meetings are back.
Much morerer productive.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Overs

SE, that must’ve been terrible for you and obviously upset/disgruntled butter roll. Glad you’re ok now.

BeKind, I’m pleased your sister had the first part of covid vaccine, sounds like it really helped her with her husband and children catching it too. I hope they’re all back to good health soon.

PJ, oh gosh, I hope nobody or animals was hurt or injured from the fires. So sad to know it was deliberately started.

toots, the stew gets better the next day I find. I think it is my favourite comfort food, well I love cottage pie too but Mr. Mags doesn’t so I never make it just for me. But I could make it and put it in two smaller dishes and freeze one. Good idea methinks.

Sassy, hope all goes well today with the vaccine. It will be a relief to get the first one under your belt. (Well in your arm, but you know what I mean)

We haven’t had any snow round here but it’s been icy white over for the last few days. Brrr

I’m going to have some porridge for breakfast shortly.

Have a good Monday my friends, stay safe. xxxx
Old 01-24-2021, 11:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

SE I hope you and butter roll suffer no ill consequences and how lovely for him to be born on Valentine's Day!

Peej I hope they get/got the fire under control, bad enough these fires are started by the weather but when it deliberate you have to hope whoever did it is found and suitably punished. Hope the new routine gets you back into shape, and you enjoy it when you get back into your classes.

Mags really frosty here too very cold at night. No snow but my family down south have had enough to build snowmen and go sledding so they're all very excited, my weeest nephew has never seen snow so he had real fun!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That sounds truly awful SE. I am glad the baby is okay through all of that.

PJ, it will be nice to hit the gym once again. Things are still too risky here in my opinion, and I can't remember if they are currently open or not. I too have used walking as my main form of exercise. I hope the fires can be contained shortly.

Have a good day all!

Old 01-25-2021, 01:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi Overs! Wow four days zipped by!

Mags, I hope your stepmom is doung OK. Helluva one-two punch.

Star, with all that's been going on ya gotta laugh or cry, I choose to laugh. How's feeding the teeming masses yearning to breathe free! Us, not immigrants.

Sassy, I agree we get a bit wiser and secure in our own skin as we progress. I'm really glad you dealt with that well enough to look back and be grateful for today. Yes I do look different.🤣🤣

Hiya Wolf!

FBL, glad to hear you're lightening up! My weight gain has me feeling the opposite. Guess I'll get my progeam up and running. The family pic was great.

Bekind, we missed that first snow, but tonight through Tuesday night we are supposed to get a big snowfall. My SH gave me a haircut today, it was getting shaggy, she's getting to be a great barber.

PJ! Hi.

Hi jimmyjl, good to see you.

Wolf, nite

PJ,
Your burns would have been the end for many. I'm glad you made it. Waking up in the hospital with all that backdrop you knew from a close loss would be a disassociative event for me.

Toots, I'm with you. Our fires here are usually set or from some ***** flicking a lit cigarette out the window while driving/riding. When I smoked I never did that. I hate litter, leftover from my mikitary career and having the smokers police the area before we'd release them.

SE, Glad you and your baby settled back down. Food poisoning is horrible! I have a cast iron stomach and when a stomach/bowel bug goes around my wife gets ill for a few days with a lot of intestinal distress. I get a little gas for an hour and that's it.

Be123, I started heavy drinking and smoking after I retired at 45, and for seven years full time RV'd. Then I went back to work designing and selling steel buildings with slabs. When I retired after that I started drinking at noon, then 9 and was drinking a case of beer a day along with a few mixed drinks and wine to cut the yeasty taste from drinking that much beer. I rarely got more than a buzz drinking two beers an hour from noon till midnight. Then one morning I woke shaking and putting a shot or two of scotch (wife's) in my coffee stopped the shakes. I was chemically dependent on alcohol! So for another 18 months I quit every morning and celebrated by drinking again after holding off for an hour.

I'd smoked from age 12, 1964, as well as weed and some experimenting but drugs were not for me. I lost some friends to stupidity and addiction. I was not quitting alone so I called the VA and had a one week in hospital detox. I was smoking three packs of cigarettes a day too.

I then went in, had my last beer that morning, and last smoke in front of the VA.

The combination of quitting two substances at once both of which I overdid, in hindsight, gave me some horrible PAWS. I had my fist panic attacks twice, had bowels going from diahrhea to constipated, wild mood swings. But worst I lost my short term memory somewhat. Now I'd been a successful leader my whole life, and would never drink and drive but a few times that scared me enough to stay home and drink. I had a five acre place in the country and sometimes would not leave it for a week. I loved my yard machines and big tractor I restored, pics here in my profile album. I used AA locally once a week for 90 days then just here on SR. Ince I was sober for a month I realized I was making it. The only time I thought about drinking was once or twice to stop the physical and emotional roller coaster but then I'd have to go through it all again.

I quit for life from day one and that hasn't changed. My PAWS eased up some at six months. By one year I was back to 90% normal physically and emotionally. I only realized my second year was big improvements in hindsight because they were so subtle.

When I quit I had already had enough drinks for three lifetimes. That was like flipping a switch. I was done and knew it. So sorry but no AV or desire to drink again. I was never a druggie just some weed a few trips on lysergic acid diethylamide, using dexedrine a few times and an opioid once which I hated, all in my teens separated from my alcohol chemical dependancy, by night university classes, living in Europe seven years,and all over the US, a great military career, and no severe drunks just a goid buzz. When I DJ'd I hired a designated driver/helper who carried my stuff and drove us home.

My rock bottom wasn't as far down, but to me I was lacking in self-respect.

I am never going through that first year again, ever. Even if god came down and she told me I could drink and never have ill effects and could get sober again at will, I'd tell her no thanks, I've drunk more than my fill.

My son got himself a lawyer and doesn't need our help other than some moral support.

Life is good.

Oh and at 2:45 am it is beautiful out there with a half inch or so not quite covering the front lawn. We have two more days of snow and very low temps down to 9°F (-12.5°C).

Nite all. Stay safe.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

A bit chilly here this morning (15F) with some more snow on the way for late tonight and tomorrow. Finally feels like real winter around here!

Diving deep into the new book project. Will take a few months to complete.

Bought some hand weights over the weekend, to add a little strength training to my new routine. I think those muscles are still in there somewhere?!?

Have a Marvelous Monday, overs!

Old 01-25-2021, 03:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Have a good week Overs!
Old 01-25-2021, 04:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have a Marvelous Monday, Overs!
Old 01-25-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello all!

Just checking in on the new thread. All is well in Fishland. I took my savings from the past year and put it toward a new fishing vessel last week.
I have been pondering it for a couple years and finally said ef it and pulled the trigger.

She is just a wee little puddle jumper but she is my little puddle jumper.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Heya all, man oh man am I groggy today. Maybe I need some more vitamin D or something.

I like hearing your stories of becoming sober. Phoenix, your story is tough to read. I'm so sorry about your brother. Are the dreams about him bad?

Itchy, a friend of mine told me she would not drink again as she NEVER wanted to do a first year of sobriety again.

I was disappointed not to wake up to snow this am but perhaps tonight.

I'm off to pick up the apartment a bit, file some papers and try to get into a financial account.

Carry on you fine people.