Notices

24 hour Recovery connections part 514

Old 01-31-2021, 08:37 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IcedVoVo View Post
Good morning,

I had this weird existential crisis for the first part of the weekend..it was uncomfortable and sad. But it passed! I was working through some things, and was just exhausted. My brain is calm this morning after 10 hours of sleep, and I didn’t have to drink to get rid of those thoughts and emotions, just ride it out and sleep. I knew they weren’t ’real’...as in not a true reflection of life right now..just a tired brain and body trying to make sense of things while mostly isolated from others.

I’m wired to troubleshoot, ya know? Drives me crazy when the solution to internal discomfort is ‘WAIT’ or ‘do nothing’ 😆. Not saying that turmoil is insignificant...it really serves a purpose, but when you’re tired things just feel worse and disproportionate. I was fine on Friday, and it’s a good sign of sober progress to remember that at all..even if I couldn’t feel it. Drinking would have changed the way I felt quickly, but I wouldn’t have rested and would have felt much, much worse the next day.

So I had my breakfast migas and coffee and am prepared for a happy Sunday. I used to get these episodes pretty frequently early in sobriety..now much less often but it still feels real and scary when I’m in the middle of it. So glad I didn’t drink! Waking up sober after something like that feels so good. Very grateful today. Need to take some time for prayer/meditation.

24 more, for sure!

xx
I can relate Vovo! I want to fix every little problem right away too.. It took me a while to not feel extreme anxiety whenever something is or feels off and to just accept the discomfort, reminding myself that this is only temporary. Sleep deprivation or exhaustion are still hard to deal with sometimes, the anxiety just gets so physical and then the physical discomfort triggers more negative thoughts and so on.. Glad you got through it!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:53 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Inspired by Kev, I will go for a walk today since my mechanical abilities weren't enough to fix my treadmill. I have one more idea and then I'll give up. And I did finally get my pantry door "fixed" with a hack. Just let me emphasize one thing...don't use Gorilla Glue unless you are absolutely sure the plastic thingy is in the correct position! Love that stuff when I use it correctly.

Trying not to get myself in a funk today. It's my 2nd ex's birthday and I'm regretting the 15 years I put into that miserable marriage. Must look forward...

I was watching a YouTube movie about homelessness (Invisible People) last night. This man, who had been homeless himself, was going city to city, interviewing homeless people. The last question he asked them was, "If you could have 3 wishes what would they be?". The replies were some of the most unselfish requests I ever heard. Most of them just wanted to be able to care for themselves and their families asking for jobs and a place to live. Not one asked for money (could have been edited out? - I can be such a cynic...) or material things. I was ashamed as my first thought was "a million dollars". But I suppose if I was homeless, my priorities would be different. Still, I'm not proud of my response. Time for some soul searching.

Praying for 24 sober hours @ 10:35 AM EST
I'm glad I inspired you to go for a walk I rarely feel like going but I'm always glad I did. Sitting inside all day doesn't do my body or my mind any favours.

Sorry to hear about the memories of your ex coming up today. I just went through old photos the other day, tidying up my external hard drive, and some of them held really bad memories. Towards the end of my drinking and during early sobriety I was in a very bad relationship with a guy who turned out to be more and more abusive. I can get real angry at myself for having let that happen but I was so beaten down already at that time. And I can almost feel disgust and so much fear and darkness thinking back. It hasn't been 15 years but only about 2 in my case but in the end I find the most peace when I just focus on being grateful that it's over, that this person is not affecting my life anymore, that I am out of that situation and can breathe freely again. It makes me appreciate the peace I have in life now. With the aspect of anger at myself for having wasted all that time, feelings and energy during that relationship, I find it helps me the most if I remind myself, that I did it for the right reasons. That I was trusting, that I believed in him and that I didn't want to hurt anyones feelings. Which are all good qualities but can do so much damage to oneself if you're with the wrong person.

Good luck fixing that treadmill, I think it's great how you DIY all these things! I always get excited like a little kid when I figure out how to fix or improve something around the house And all this covid stuff just gave me another good reason to try to do more things myself, like that layered haircut! I'm still almost surprised it came out looking so professional

And thank you for the birthday wishes
Old 01-31-2021, 08:59 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Checking in at 6pm today. There was still some snow left outside and it was all blue skies and sunny out so we went for another nice walk. Like about everyone else too! No one bothered keeping the recommended distance so we just held our breath for big parts of the walk. But towards the end it was less crowded and we were able to get in some fresh air.

Then I had some of the leftover cake and tonight we're gonna do a family skype call cause my partner's brother just got married! I'm excited for them but also a bit sad for the timing of their wedding. They had to wear masks during the ceremony and it's only the two of them plus her parents, no other guests. I guess it's a lot cheaper to get married during corona times at least. And they can always have a bigger party later
Old 01-31-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Beautiful bright, frosty morning here in the UK. I love this part of the day... when the dog wakes me up early for his breakfast and it's just me and him awake for an hour or so before everyone else starts to stir. I've got into the habit of using my quiet morning time to work on my crystal healing course. I've been fascinated by crystals for a few years now. Not sure where the fascination came from but all I know is that I started collecting crystals in 2016 and slowly I'm filling my house with them! Crystals have to compete with lego in my house and whilst I think lego is currently winning the battle for space, crystals are doing pretty well! I have no proof of this but I honestly believe that my crystals helped guide me towards the decision to stop drinking in November 2016 and they have been quietly, subtly assisting me in remaining sober ever since. I'm fascinated with them... especially with their age. It blows my mind that crystals take thousands, sometimes millions of years to form. Over Christmas I decided I wanted to learn more about how they form and before I knew it I had enrolled onto an online crystal healing course which I absolutely love. I've already started trying out some of the techniques... I did a chakra balancing healing session with a couple of my younger children the other day (not the teenagers.... I'm likely to get a crystal aimed with force and speed at my head if I start any of my 'crazy crystal thing' with one of the teenagers!) Anyway, I'm not sure how successful my first attempt at balancing chakras was but all I do know was that my younger children and I and the dog felt extremely calm and chilled out afterwards. That feeling has stayed with me... I seem to be finally letting go of a lot of stuff I've needed to let go of for the longest time. It's funny how we often know the stuff we need to let go of, but we so often feel powerless to just Let. It. Go.... choosing instead to drag it around behind us... allowing it to weigh us down. Letting go, for me, can be the hardest thing to do. But It feels like I'm at the letting go stage of my recovery and if crystals can help me...I'm happy to take the help!

We're entering the stage of lockdown when my husband and sons really, really need haircuts. My oldest son looked in the mirror yesterday evening and said, 'I look like one of the Beatles'. Quick as a flash, my younger son started singing, 'Yesterday.... Charlie's hair didn't look as bad as it does today!' to the tune of 'Yesterday'. It was so funny!!! Even the teenagers smirked. Lockdown humour... I'd be a little lost without it. Hope everyone has/had a wonderful Sunday... congratulations to everyone celebrating milestones and another day of sobriety today. 24 more for me please xxx
Your post are always so hilarious Kenton, I love reading them I was a passionate collector of crystals and gemstones as a child and started reading a little about their use and healing powers back then too. I remember having one that was supposed to help headaches and it did seem to work somehow!

So funny you remember the banana conditioner! And oops about your kids taking that as an excuse to make such a mess!
Old 01-31-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Checking in for 24. Having discomfort is unpleasant. I try my best to be aware of it but not let it dominate my thoughts or actions. I think the "trying" is the key. I dont always succeed. Still hanging on.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:24 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

I’m here for 24 hours please and thank you.
6.25am Monday morning
Old 01-31-2021, 12:57 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

I will do another 24 hours.

I made a plan to make February my healthy month. Healthier food, exercise, mental well being. So I started early by giving up coffee, I am realizing it alters my brain in a way I do not like. I feel different without it, in a good way, but there is withdrawal. Not liking the headaches. Junk food is next.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:06 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Still possessed by the anxiety alien this morning , it would seem. Sitting with them really not super cool fun. But hey, I can look forward to the depression that will slide out from underneath when alien finally loosens its grip. Change is good as a holiday, right? 😂

Old 01-31-2021, 01:18 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

No.... s

As we were taIking about Iove....past experience doesn't have to dictate the next part. We can change. s
And you are working hard on that. xx ❤️❤️
Old 01-31-2021, 01:18 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
orangutan

I am in for 24 more

8.18 am in Auss
Old 01-31-2021, 01:20 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12JSAngel21 View Post
I will do another 24 hours.

I made a plan to make February my healthy month. Healthier food, exercise, mental well being. So I started early by giving up coffee, I am realizing it alters my brain in a way I do not like. I feel different without it, in a good way, but there is withdrawal. Not liking the headaches. Junk food is next.
As in just none? No coffee?

That's great Iove. ❤️

Old 01-31-2021, 01:47 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
No.... s

As we were taIking about Iove....past experience doesn't have to dictate the next part. We can change. s
And you are working hard on that. xx ❤️❤️
Hear you. I will keep working. Xx
Old 01-31-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

s ❤️
Old 01-31-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
As in just none? No coffee?

That's great Iove. ❤️
None for a couple days now. I am seeing that all it did was get me all buzzed up and then let down and tired, made my heart feel strange also. I do feel better without, but it is now another habit and addiction I have to break, I am programmed to make it each morning.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Wow AngeI.....weII done. s
I am programmed to make it as weII...the easy way....I put the pods in the machine and press go.
I am down to two cups max (but that is stiII reaIIy four as I use two pods). Down to one from tomorrow.
You are inspiring me. s
Old 01-31-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Another 24 please 😊
Old 01-31-2021, 02:53 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'll take another 24 sober ones please!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:55 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

We continue here
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-515-a.html (24 hour Recovery connections part 515)

D