Notices

24-hour Recovery Connections Part 513

Old 01-15-2021, 07:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abcowboy View Post
“Never regret a day in your life: Good days give happiness, bad days give experience, worst days give lessons, and best days give memories.” – Unknown

5:10am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
Thank you, Bruce! This is so true...
Old 01-15-2021, 07:25 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bailey3 View Post
Good morning, everyone! I’m in for another sober day.

Congrats to today’s celebrants and all who are sober today.

The neighbors house blew up and caught fire yesterday. He’s a rather big guy. It took four of us to pull him through a window before the fire got going. I’m glad I was sober yesterday. I wish I knew how to upload a photo because it was quite the fire.

[img]blob:https://www.soberrecovery.com/b9167bc7-9299-4097-80e6-07f7d17d148b[/img]
I literally gasped out loud, Bailey! Thank goodness no one was hurt. You did awesome!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Checking in at 4:50 pm! I I woke up with bad back aches again, well no surprise, I slept with my head at a really strange angle which I always do when I feel stressed. We went for a walk through the snow / rain and now I'm trying to prepare for my uni course but my head is aching.

Thanks for today's quote Cowboy. I took from it, that I need to remind myself of the fact that we don't have unlimited time on this planet and that I should honor every day I get to spend here, even the difficult ones. It's a tendency of mine to just sit and wait through the bad days, not making much use of them, not really trying to make things nicer for myself, just kind of sitting there, waiting for better times to come while distracting myself.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noam19 View Post
Good morning everyone. 7:46am in Indiana. Last night my wife and I had a short conversation with our oldest son's math teacher for a parent/teacher conference. He had been struggling earlier in the year, we made some decisions about how to handle the class this year and next with him. The teacher said he's been a new kid lately. He's also been motivated in his sports, good grades, working out with me in the mornings and overall just seems really happy. His brother started the year complaining about swim, quit for about 6 weeks, and then decided to come back and has been crushing it. His school work really good too. I was laying in bed last night thinking about how they have been different kids the last 4 or 5 months...then made the connection that I've not been drinking for over 5 months. I got teary eyed thinking about how maybe some of the issues they were having was because they had a father who was not in a good place. My sobriety has, even though I'm still doing this for me, has had an incredible impact on them. I had no idea how much I was holding them back just through the emotional sadness they may have been having.

Alcohol is so powerful. I'm thrilled that I'm in for the next 24.
It's so amazing that you are being more present for your kids Noam! I really mean it. My dad spend so much of my youth drunk and was very absent. I understand now that deep down he cared about me all the time but I didn't always see it back then and felt alone and unsupported. Drinking made him moody, self absorbed and he didn't see how abusive my mother was, being only focused on his business, his new wife and the drink. And he modelled drinking as a coping mechanism.
Now he has phases of sobriety and drinks less overall and we're starting to re-connect. But I wish he had made that effort a long time ago, these things are so important for adolescents.

I don't have any children yet but a big reason for me to get sober and to work on myself was to one day, hopefully, be a good parent myself. Like you say, we should do it for ourselves, but I do it for myself in the way that I want to be able to live up to my own standards / expectations of being responsible, reliable and present.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zeppodog View Post
Taking wife skiing and I'll go explore some forest service roads, going to be a long day. Happy sober Friday.
That sounds fun, have a great time zeppo!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Sorry about your fall, but glad you're here. One of the things that helped me so much in the first couple of weeks was my "plan". If "a trigger" occurs then I will "my reaction" was a huge help to me. I listed my triggers and then decided what I would do it they occurred. I'm going to find the link and just keep it handy as it is extremely helpful. You must be willing to take a good, hard look at yourself for it to work. At least that was my experience. Hang in there and keep posting!

Edit:
http://www.npaihb.org/wp-content/upl...r-recovery.pdf
I can only second that Tanky! I carried a similar little chart with me at all times, listing the triggers "feeling upset, feeling stressed, feeling like I deserve a treat / reward,.." and then alternative behaviours "call a friend, take a bath, eat chocolates,..." It was super helpful as I didn't have to try to use my brain to remember all these things when it was completely useless while running wild on a craving!

It's great you're back, you can do it!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:21 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

The neighbors house blew up and caught fire yesterday. He’s a rather big guy. It took four of us to pull him through a window before the fire got going. I’m glad I was sober yesterday. I wish I knew how to upload a photo because it was quite the fire.

[img]blob:https://www.soberrecovery.com/b9167bc7-9299-4097-80e6-07f7d17d148b[/img]
Wow Bailey, you have so much courage and your heart in the right place doing that. It seems like these days people help each other less and less, even in such obvious situations. It's really great you were so hands on and there for him in that moment!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:44 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I was in the middle of a post when I heard the back door open. My grandson babysits my 6 year old granddaughter on Fridays and decided to bring her over for a visit!! We had a great time! My daughter had kept me out of her life since she was born so my heart was full. She even asked me, "Why don't you come to my house to visit?" Ugh...no way could I explain it to her now or ever. I'm just so happy she asked. When miracles like this happen, I just have to believe God has his hand in it. Today, I am grateful for her visit.

Still on my mission to declutter and clean. I need to focus. I have too many things going on at once and need to foccus on putting all the Christmas decorations in my storage room, and hold off on the kitchen for now. I absolutely cannot multitask. At all.

Praying for 24 sober hours @ 11:44 AM EST
Old 01-15-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

That's great news Optimist, I'm very happy for you! I think many people give second chances when they see real change happen
Old 01-15-2021, 08:55 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. 7:46am in Indiana. Last night my wife and I had a short conversation with our oldest son's math teacher for a parent/teacher conference. He had been struggling earlier in the year, we made some decisions about how to handle the class this year and next with him. The teacher said he's been a new kid lately. He's also been motivated in his sports, good grades, working out with me in the mornings and overall just seems really happy. His brother started the year complaining about swim, quit for about 6 weeks, and then decided to come back and has been crushing it. His school work really good too. I was laying in bed last night thinking about how they have been different kids the last 4 or 5 months...then made the connection that I've not been drinking for over 5 months. I got teary eyed thinking about how maybe some of the issues they were having was because they had a father who was not in a good place. My sobriety has, even though I'm still doing this for me, has had an incredible impact on them. I had no idea how much I was holding them back just through the emotional sadness they may have been having.

I am truly so happy for you! It's like my favorite Christmas movie, "It's a Wonderful Life". We have no idea how many lives we impact until something happens to open our eyes. In your case, sobriety!

Old 01-15-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

What a frightening thing, Bailey; I can’t begin to imagine. Very well done to you and the others who saved your neighbor’s life. God bless you.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:14 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I became teary reading this post, Naom. May your sober blessings grow.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:02 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
Sorry about your fall, but glad you're here. One of the things that helped me so much in the first couple of weeks was my "plan". If "a trigger" occurs then I will "my reaction" was a huge help to me. I listed my triggers and then decided what I would do it they occurred. I'm going to find the link and just keep it handy as it is extremely helpful. You must be willing to take a good, hard look at yourself for it to work. At least that was my experience. Hang in there and keep posting!

Edit:
http://www.npaihb.org/wp-content/upl...r-recovery.pdf
Thank you for that link, Optimist4ever57 - that Action Planning for Prevention and Recovery article is one of the clearest, most insightful and helpful I've read.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

wow. This is powerful stuff. So so glad your kids have their dad back. So glad the changes have been so rapid and clear to you.

Will admit, guilt flared up in me reading that. It’s too big for me to do more than dip a toe there at this early stage in recovery. For the damage I have done to my two kids.

but you made me reflect that my boy failed a bunch of classes last year. He also wanted to quit soccer (his passion for the last 8 years) . I had been telling myself it was just Year 9 kids being ratty year 9s, lockdown, homeschooling being hard for a kid with dyslexia , etc. my daughter did not fail anything, but she completely stopped asking me to participate in things or help with things. She didn’t even want me at her year 6 graduation. She won an award and I only found out because my ex. posted it on social media. Once she would have not been able to contain her excitement from telling me. made her own lunches pretty much all year last year.

Maybe having a mother that was frequently actively pushing them away/hiding from them emotionally broken and drunk all the time was a factor? Hmm.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:20 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Noam, my father was a mean drunk. While I take full responsibility for my drinking, I often wonder how much his drinking affected and changed my life. Im sure that your sobriety is the biggest gift of love you can give your children. Congratulations on staying sober.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:22 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

24 more for me, please
Old 01-15-2021, 12:30 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

figured it out. Sorry I’m really bored right now
Old 01-15-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh wo.....glad you figured it out.....I guess it's a bit morbid that I wanted to see that.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:58 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

24 more clean and sober hours please.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:00 PM
  # 80 (permalink)