Notices

Class of January 2020 Part 10

Old 01-10-2021, 07:04 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I hope today is better for you fish. s ❤️
Old 01-11-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi classmates

FK, Other than the tension with your wife, it sounds like you handled all that pretty well, imo. You didn't drink. I get like that also but just walk out for air. Rightly or wrongly. I invent a reason to go to the shops and go for a walk. So I don't say or do anything. The main thing is that you didn't drink. So well done.

No big drama in this household over the weekend. I had a lot of work to do and got through a lot, or most. More on my plate now but I don't feel overwhelmed. Just having my normal coffee and planning my day, in between yawns.
Will check in later

have a healthy, happy and sober Monday all

dlb
Old 01-11-2021, 04:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Out of half&half. The almond milk is just not cutting it, so I'm using the spray whipped cream again.

I had an intense dream last night as well, so can join the discussion of dreams. It did not include drinking though. There was an open season on goliath grouper, which are protected, and we were filling big marine coolers with them. Have no idea where that came from.

I could write a book about drinking during family visits, if I had any book writing skills that is. I certainly have a lot of experience. All the Christmas pictures feature me with a hangover face. The reasons that drove me to drinking during family visits have only gotten worse. There has got to be a better way to handle it, but as yet it escapes me. Perhaps a little online research is needed.

For every day use, I like the instant gratification of the gas grill. The electric smoker comes out occasionally. When we are on vacation, we often rent a place with a grill and it's charcoal all the way.

Hope the puppies are getting along well lixie.

Hope you are managing with the lockdown abraxas.

Hope work is well DLB.

Spring fishing will be here soon FK.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:26 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thanks yall
I inherited my father's patience. 0

I'm finding things are pissin me off quicker these days. Last couple weeks.
I think winter has a lot to do with it. I hate it.
Then there is social media which I deleted off my phone but still have an account due to my business so I check it now and then but I think once spring comes around and work picks up I may delete completely.

Thinking of it I may see if there is a way to delete my personal account and keep the business page since they are tied together.
I get nothing from it except a higher BP.

I've seen pics of those grouper, huuuggge.

Got a job to finish today then another getting dropped off this week so gotta get motivated.

Spring fishing!! Thanks I needed to be reminded this winter crap is temporary. Lol
Old 01-11-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Just noticed the date. Yesterday was one year for me. Cool.

Thinking again about the others who started with us. Hoping that many have stayed the course, but assuming that many have not. DaisyBell shared my sober date, but we haven't heard from her for quite some time. Hope she, as well as the others, are doing well.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:30 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

HEll YEAH!
CONGRATS MAN!

I too feel sorrow for those that did not stick around.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:06 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Congrats dearest CB.....so very happy for you!!! s ❤️❤️
Old 01-11-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Cityboy

D
Old 01-12-2021, 03:23 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

My wife's friend came over last night to watch football. Our team wasn't playing so I didn't care who won. She had a bottle of rum but I honestly had no thoughts of having a drink.

Lots of one or two day projects to get on top of, and prioritizing is not one of my strong suits. Just trying to focus on them one at the time.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:48 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Congrats City on 1 year ! Amazing.
It says something that you can be around liquor without being tempted. There is way more to life now. Including those little projects. I have a load also.
I wish i knew more about dreams. I am sure filling cooling with protected fish means something but I wouldn't dare guess

I came off all social media except one professional site, FK. I imagined it would be difficult or that I would miss out. 2 years in, I haven't missed it for 1 day. It was a relief. Like being given Advil.

I am ok. Busy. I did feel a bit overwhelmed and exhausted last night so had an early night. It helped.
I did have an AV thought yesterday actually. I drank two pints of water as it was really re-hydration that I needed, not a cold beer. It passed and I felt that I dodged a bullet.

All good day
have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb

Old 01-12-2021, 03:48 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Big congrats cityboy!!!

Not a lot to report from this corner of the world. The temperature has picked up a bit - it's been at or below freezing the past couple of weeks, so going to get out for a walk later hopefully.

The thought of a bottle of rum is, oddly, making me feel slightly queasy. I guess that's a good thing! :-)
Old 01-12-2021, 04:36 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Dlb I think I am gonna pull the plug. I have been peeking in a couple times a day, 1 out of habit and 2 to see if I missed anything.
It feels like groundhog day. SSDD

I think I will look into a website for my business instead. Looking back, the leads on FB are usually just tire kickers anyway.

Thanks for the reinforcement, I really appreciate it.

city I pretty much feel the same way around others drinking now also. I know you know but we need to not get complacent.

Abraxas, I know where you are coming from. I saw a guy coming out of the store with 12 beers the other day and instead of the initial, hm ice cold beer then playing it forward, I actually went straight to the end result which is that disgusting feeling you get when you've had too much but not enough.

Finishing up a job today then looking at another.

Supplies are at vendor to finish house so hopefully they will be delivered this week then I will switch gears back to that.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:10 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Abraxas, I know where you are coming from. I saw a guy coming out of the store with 12 beers the other day and instead of the initial, hm ice cold beer then playing it forward, I actually went straight to the end result which is that disgusting feeling you get when you've had too much but not enough.
I pondered this for a while after posting yesterday, and I realised this is what happened for me also. Thought process went automatically to the end result, no need to consciously go through the machinations of "playing it forward". I find this fascinating and am wondering if this is a bone fide example of the brain being "re-wired". It certainly seems to be a step in the right direction, albeit with a careful eye on ensuring complacency doesn't take even the slightest foot-hold.

I too gave up social media some time ago. Kept my fb account open but didn't look at it. Closed it down (but not completely deleted it) about 3 months ago with the thought I'd find a reason to re-enable it a few weeks later. That reason never came, and I don't miss it one bit.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:24 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi all

I think it is similar for me, Abraxas. I kept the FB messenger but I disabled the account so it no longer appears. I have occasionally reactivated it, just to look, and I have no desire to continue. Joining new ones seem worthless. Linkedin is about it. All the others are pointless to me.
The odds of me suddenly get an urge to post a Tiktok dance challenge are pretty slim I would say.

Stuff with me is OK. Fatigued a bit but doing OK. Skipped my workouts for a few days so that needs to be resolved before it becomes a slump.

I don't mind seeing people buy booze so much. Like you, it feels so alien now. Especially when I think about the quantities I used to have. I am sure I must have smelt the following day. The thought of that turns my stomach now.

On a more positive note, I got up early today to try to be constructive and finish of one of my to-do's. I feel OK.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:35 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I have a friend on Facebook that is constantly putting negative politcal stuff on his page to the tune of several per day. He is a Vietnam veteran who went with me on the last veteran's with PTSD fishing trip and is a cool guy. I'm trying to avoid so much negative political stuff, much of which may not even be 100% true but don't want to block or unfriend him. I figure that he may need that as some kind of emotional outlet.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:29 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Drs. Appointment this morning. Havent had a check up in over a year so I'm due.
Liver numbers were slightly elevated as was my cholesterol which is typical for me, the cholesterol that is, that was the 1st time my liver numbers were ever elevated. I'm curious if any changes for the better so anticipating those results.
I have always promised myself that when my body starts to tell me it's time to quit that I would listen. Of course that was probably the addiction justifying why I can continue to drink but I think my subconscious might have picked up on it because that seems to be when I started seriously looking for ways to end my drinking career.
Last time I was there was my 1st time with this doc and when I answered the how much do you drink question he stopped writing and looked at me. He said a day or a week? Of course I said a day. He said maybe try to cut back to 2 to 3 a day. Yeah right

City you can unfollow people and they will never know. You will still be friends but you won't see their post but they will see yours. I just did about 15 minutes of unfollowing the other day. Much better experience and noone knows any better.

You will never be 100% drama free no matter what.

I posted a CG link about an unmanned boat found locally to our fishing page to get the word out.
The 1st reply was, why didnt they tow it back?
Lol
Where do people come up with this stuff?
1st, who says they didnt and 2nd if a civilian found it you dont want to move it and lose its last known location in case it is a MOB situation.

It was a little 9' dinghy with nothing in it so it probably washed off someone's beach in the extreme high tides we have been having but these guys will bitch about anything.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:43 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Dr told me 2 per day also. I lied about current consumption. The change in blood work, if any, will be interesting.

A friend of a friend was in the keys and found a boat adrift offshore with a bunch of refugees once. They notified the coast guard and were told to remain with the boat until a coast guard vessel arrived. It took several hours so their fishing trip was ruined, but they got a great humanitarian feel good story out of it.

I joined a couple of local groups on Facebook but it was almost entirely covert advertising. Something like "we went with such and such guide service yesterday and got our limit of trout."
Old 01-13-2021, 05:41 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I have Instagram as you can see, but it is for my plant photos. And I haven't really gotten started.
I keep FB so I have Messenger....that is how I talk to f&f in Aus and around the world.
But that's it....I don't read or post on FB and I never will again.
My life is a far happier place without social media.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:11 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I was following through with some online research into some of my areas that could stand some improvement. You are probably not going to change your life based on a 15 minute presentation, but I figure that maybe it can initiate a new thought process that may lead to better coping mechanisms.

With my introvert personality, I've always taken things terribly personal. So much so that it may be a borderline disorder. Many an evening, I would crush an 18 pack of beer, or worse, because a project into which I had poured my heart and soul had not gotten the reaction I was anticipating. I thought of abraxas and DLB when I watched one in particular. He discusses being a soccer referee. No matter how well you do your job, you will never get positive feedback. It will always be negative. Bad things will always be your fault. I felt like he was talking about me personally much of the time. I'll try to attach a link. (About 15 minutes)

https://youtu.be/LnJwH_PZXnM
Old 01-14-2021, 04:23 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good morning all
No big things from me today so more of check-in as a wake. If I came a cross as harsh about social media yesterday, that has just been just my experience. In hindsight, Sober Recovery is social media of a kind so there is at least one shining example of how great it can be to bring people together.

Good luck with the Dr. appointment FK. It would be nice to hear that your amazing change in life has improved your overall health.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day

dlb