Notices

Class of January 2020 Part 10

Old 01-01-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Big big congratulations dlb! That sure is an amazing achievement. It really doesn't seem like it was that long ago we were all talking of 6 months under our belts.

Happy New Years Day classmates. I have been as unproductive today as I usually am on the 1st of January, so no change there! At least it is out of choice and not because I am physically (and mentally) incapable of doing much, as was usually the case.

Take care all

Old 01-01-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Abraxas. It has been great getting to know you this past year.
Same here, it was a very lazy day. Nice to see a New Year in without being sick or trying to manage a hangover.

dlb
Old 01-01-2021, 04:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Isn't it though?

Old 01-01-2021, 05:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Missed my check in this morning as I had slept late and didn't have time.

That's a really good quote FK.

I haven't felt an emotional component to reaching a year yet DLB, but probably will as we approach the 10th. Six months was a very significant milestone to me, the achievement of which I honestly had little confidence in when this all started.

We do have a good class and I feel fortunate as well. I'm not at all sure that I would be knocking on the door of year otherwise.

Some of my friends have had a group text going about a sort of virtual new year's eve party. They (the instigators of the group text) are always having parties, under more normal circumstances anyway. Many in the group are big drinkers of finer wines and liquors and the conversation quickly went that way. Many of them know I quit, but for 30 years I have been perhaps the most responsive one of the group in matters of drinking and I can imagine how they might feel as though I am just in a funk right now.

I'll admit that I've had some thoughts of drinking yesterday and today. I know it's more than just a passing thought when I get that feeling of familiarity. Nothing to do with new year's, but the friends' group text probably didn't help. Mostly due to family stresses, not the least of which being elderly parents not doing well and the resulting fallout.

It's a non-starter, but is a reminder of when abraxas talked about how it can seem to come from nowhere sometimes.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, maybe it might be time to hop out of some of those group texts dear CB? What do you think? s ❤️
Old 01-02-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates

It does feel nice to be out of 2020.
I have begun a 90 day diet-self improvement incentive thing. I figured if our SR class could get through last years world-wide apocalypse, and stay on track, I can try to manage something like that for 3 months. I am only one day in, so no fanfares yet.
Other than missing carbs and suger for breakfast, I am doing OK.

That is interesting city about the virtual NYE party.
On many levels, that is great. Especially as the chat sounds to have been more about discussing taste. It is much better that people did those virtual tastings than gather in social groups. That said, I am with Venus and yourself, I can't be around drinking conversations. Other than not knowing how to contribute, I want to be someone different now.

I have no idea where to start my work stuff or jogging today. I am sure something will kick in soon

dlb
Old 01-02-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

So happy to be in 2021! How are you guys?

dlb, I'm on that same train. Three months of low carb, long walks with the dogs, and self improvement all over. Will be writing every day too. Good luck to both of us!

Happy new year!
Old 01-02-2021, 04:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Happy New Year Lixie.

I am so happy for you.
We can do this in 2021 !

dlb
Old 01-02-2021, 04:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Morning classmates!

If I am reading your post correctly CB, it was but a passing moment - albeit a stronger feeling than any other of late. But through it all having a drink was never on the cards. Hope I got that right? It is a thought/feeling that I find hard to put in to words, but I know what you mean. As I'm sure many if not all of us do. As per Lixie's signature (which really does resonate - thanks Lixie!) - there's still a deep seated need at times to want to "tap out". As wonderful as a year's sobriety is (and it is wonderful!), a year is not going to undo over 30 years of what was before.

Today is that one year mark for me! It should have been yesterday, but at about 4pm on January 1st 2020 I opened a bottle of wine. Can't remember why, although I do remember hating myself for doing so. Maybe that was a good thing, because against the odds that was the last drink I had in 2020. I say against the odds, because a "failure" like that, so soon (I had Jan 1st as a target for quite some time) would normally have been the end of yet another attempt to quit.

But here I am. Still much work to do. Still many rivers to cross and mountains to climb. But when I think that this is the longest I have gone without alcohol since the mid/late 1980's , that is something. Ronald Reagan was President for goodness sake!

Thanks to you all for your support, and just being here. For sharing your own thoughts and feelings that I was too embarrassed to share, but upon knowing that I wasn't the only one with those very struggles, gave me the strength I needed to keep going.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm trying to find ways to up my game another notch. Specific little details that will make a difference. I've never been able to maintain an excercise regiment at home, but may give it another try. Just like with drinking though, there is very little chance of having an effective support system at home. Was very close to breaking a new mark on the scale this morning so I did some jumping jacks and pushups, and took off my shorts, in that order, and it did the trick.

When I was 20 I could knock out 50 pushups in the morning without breathing hard. That is no longer the case. Not by a long shot.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Very good way to word it all abraxas. "Still much work to do. Still many rivers to cross and mountains to climb." Indeed. But the progress thus far gives you the feeling that it's all possible.

1981, I was a senior in high school. The same age as my kid now. I had drank before, but drinking beer every weekend with my buddies was an instant click. It would soon include whiskey, and after getting married would include wine. From 1981 on there would never be more than a few days without drinking to the point of inebriation unless taking prescription meds or on a strict short term diet. Until 2020.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congrats abraxas!!

Seems most of us here have a few decades of consistent drinking behind us.
Last New years was supposed to be it for me too but I felt so bad that morning I ended up drinking to feel somewhat "normal". 2 weeks later though I found the will to quit. Like abraxas that 1st day failure would normally been it for the year but this year was different. Thankfully.

Got more household work done yesterday. Mentioned to my wife the difference in the way I felt compared to a year earlier. Amazing how much better you feel when you go to bed sober before midnight compared to staying up drinking until 1-2 am.

Hello lixie, dlb, city, butters
Hope willow is doing well

Old 01-02-2021, 05:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congrats, Abraxas.
Your honesty and thoughts have contributed to everyone else's sobriety also. Thank you. Well done for your achievement.

hi City, FK, Lixie, Venus & Butters. Happy New Year

dlb
Old 01-03-2021, 02:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Looks like it will be a working Sunday here.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning

I hope the Sunday work day goes well, City. I have stuff to do but hope to postpone until tomorrow.

Today is nice but cold. Not too much to report. A bit blurry eyed until my coffee kicks in

have a healthy, happy and sober Sunday all

dlb
Old 01-03-2021, 04:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good morning. ❤️
Old 01-03-2021, 04:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good Morning Venus.
One of your busy times of year, keeping up with so many posts !!
Old 01-03-2021, 04:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It's lovely to see so many people on this journey with us. ❤️
Old 01-04-2021, 02:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Venus, I'm curious about the squirrel. Favre, yes? Does he still come around?

Got a little office work done yesterday. Felt good. Turned off my phone for a while to prevent being distracted by text messages.

Kid doesn't start back to online school until tomorrow, so we are going to spend a little time this morning.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Morning all

Not much happening here - I'm going to have to come up with a new opening line, because that's going to get overly repetitive very quickly. We're in pretty strict lockdown already and talk is it's going to get even tougher in the next few days. Fingers crossed it's one final hardship before the lockdown measures and vaccine roll-out combine to turn things around.