Notices

Class of July 2020 Part 4

Old 11-04-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi

Just coming to the start of day 6 of my water fast - not really hungry but kinda empty (not full of it any more)
(I'm a bit light-headed so I asked my doctor what to do, and he said, "put a lamp shade on your head")

Here are the numbers:

Start of
=====
Day 1 - 109.4 kg, 241.10 lb DAILY LOST lb : RUNNING TOTAL lb
Day 2 - 108.0 kg, 238.10 lb ( 3.00 ______________ 3.00 )
Day 3 - 107.3 kg, 236.56 lb ( 1.54 ______________ 4.54 )
Day 4 - 105.9 kg, 233.47 lb ( 3.09 ______________ 7.63 )
day 5 - 104.9 kg, 232.37 lb ( 1.10 ______________ 8.73 )
day 6 - 103.7 kg, 228.62 lb ( 3.75 ______________ 12.48 )

When I quit drinking it all started out so well (eating wise) - I was having steamed vegetables and fish etc. but with just a mad Friday night (I could eat anything - pizza, ice cream - comfort food). Then the mad Friday turned into a mad weekend of eating, and soon a healthy meal became rare.

I'll eat normally again when I get down to 100 kilos (220 pounds) and after that just do shorter fasts to get rid of 10 pounds at a time till I get to my target of around 190 pounds. This current fast from 109.4 kilos to 100 kilos (241.1 lb to 220.50 lb) is big ask, that is a 20.6 pounds loss. But it will be good fast training - and I can feel my body healing.

So it looks like my waster fast this time will be 10 days. Compared to quitting booze - fasting is something that is finite with a definite goal - so it seems a bit easier than the acute phase of quitting booze (for me at least) which you want to be a forever thing.

Hi JarredMud - quitting tobacco, booze and loosing weight at the same time - that would be too much for me - so big admiration :-)

Kaptn - I might try walking as a alternative to biking for exercise - I'm so careful about being run over by cars and trucks that biking has become a chore

venuscat - oh boy - I could murder a cupcake or 6 right now

Anyway - well done if are still taking care of yourself and not sitting in your own filth surrounded by empty bottles and half-eaten fast food :-)

Old 11-05-2020, 09:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi

Just starting day 7 of my water fast - lost 13.80 pounds so far, and only 7.3 pounds to go to before I can start eating again (like horse in an oat store)

Carrying on as normal - maybe sleeping a bit more

State: Vague headaches + BP OK + heart rate regular and OK + no dizziness + unpleasant metally taste in mouth (but not stinking) + no pains or aches + mentally a bit slow and some problem accessing memories over 3 months old quickly

It is amazing how light on your feet you feel after just 13.8 ponds of fat gone. A lot of things have improved - my eyesight, my posture, my skin, my teeth - for examples

I'm not really hungry and kinda surprised how easy the fast is - but not eating makes days incredibly boring and lacking pleasurable (lovely food)

I think this is relevant to quitting booze because to be a successful long-term quitter I am sure you have to get well physically and to get straight financially. I know from my own observations that obese people do tend to relapse back in alcoholism more than those who quit and get fit

Anyway - well done if you are still walking the walk - like Christopher Walken :-)

Old 11-05-2020, 10:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Red
I don’t know that I could fast for that long! Wow! I love food too much.
I did a 40 hour famine fund raiser once, and I remember being a bit light headed. I could definitely use losing 10kg myself but I think it would have to be a bit slower. Maybe a 12 week challenge including exercise. I have thought about doing that....
Good luck to you! Well done on your determination to stay the course. Keep us posted on how you’re going
Old 11-07-2020, 01:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Willow68 - 40 hours is still good - it gets easier after 3 days

Diets don't work - 97.8% fail. From what I can gather, the only way to do it is to eat normally and then fast periodically to get rid of the excess fat.

I'm on day 8 of the water fast - doing normal stuff chores etc. but just not eating. No problems so far except not eating denies the enjoyment of cooking and the pleasure of eating and makes days incredibly boring.

Down to 102.2 kg - so only 2.2 kg to go on this fast. My general health has improved immensely.

Anyway - well done if you are still off the booze :-)
Old 11-08-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Halfway through day 9 of my water fast

Day 8 was rubbish - I felt rotten - but had work to do - managed to complete the work successfully after treble-checking everything

Not losing weight as quickly - still at 101.7 kilos - but not much longer to go

Anyway - well done if you are still off the booze - seems to be only me here :-)
Old 11-08-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm here dear Red ~ just really concerned about this fast is all. s xx
Old 11-08-2020, 04:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I don’t think I could fast. I try to eat healthy food mostly and do more exercise. I really need to up the exercise .... one day
Old 11-08-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe we could start an international exercise program.....make a pledge and get our fitness up together dear Willow?
I know I need some help...and you are a few years behind me but in the same age group.....how about some fabulous 50s stuff?

Together we can feel fit and fantastic? s
Old 11-09-2020, 01:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi

On day 10 - my sodium level was a bit low so I am boosting it with table salt (2000mg a day in my water). You have to be careful with your sodium level because sodium is used to regulate fluid pressure in cells, and low levels can lead to cells exploding causing organ damage (including brain damage) and death - surprisingly quickly.

I have also started drinking coffee (decaffeinated black - no sugar) to aid autophagy (destruction and clearing of damaged cells internally and externally). I have a few ugly scars I would like to see them reduced/gone and I'm pretty sure my liver has some scarring from all the booze I consumed (even though my blood test numbers were OK).

@venuscat - thanks for the concern - I am monitoring my health closely and listening to signals from my body. My body is saying, "thank you."

@Willow68 - I can't diet and when I eat healthy I eat too much healthy food and still put on weight. Fasting is the only way for me. My weight was affecting my mobility and general health, and I kinda felt that I was going to die soon. From my standpoint fasting was the best option - only option really.

I'm nearly at the end now - just 1.7 kilos (2.2 pounds) to go.

Anyway, well done if you are still off the booze :-)
Old 11-09-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Maybe we could start an international exercise program.....make a pledge and get our fitness up together dear Willow?
I know I need some help...and you are a few years behind me but in the same age group.....how about some fabulous 50s stuff?

Together we can feel fit and fantastic? s
Sounds great Suze
I’ve been thinking lately that 2021 is going to be a better year than 2020. I know we’re supposed to live in the moment, but this year has been all kinds of crazy and challenging. I don’t really go in for New Year’s resolutions, but I do think I am going to plan some good things for next year.
Including some fabulous fitness things
And hopefully some travel..... fingers crossed
Old 11-09-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Red I hope you’re ok. Like Suze, I worry about fasting, especially with the scary possible side effects, like what can happen with sodium imbalance. Please take care of yourself.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

On day 11 - feel OK and doing normal stuff - no problems

1.5 pounds to lose, then I can stop - so just one more day I think

I'm taking supplements now (and drinking coffee):

Sodium (table salt - which also has chlorine)
Potassium
Magnesium
Phosphorous
Calcium
Iodine
Zinc

Willow68 - I'm taking good care and monitoring stuff

Anyway - well done if you are still off the meths :-)

Old 11-17-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey all I've not logged in for a while. I had a drink again. I pulled out of it quickly again...... didn't drink anything strong just a few beers. No one around me knew or said anything.......and I felt incredibly sad about it, I thought what are you doing with this again. do you feel good (no) do you feel happy (no) and I realised that despite whether anyone knows or not its about being true and honest with myself instead of letting that AV lie to me. It feels extremely hollow and empty to think yeah I drank again and 'got away with it' but I didn't really because it caused me a lot of torment inside. So I'm a week sober again and I'm building myself up to join the daily threads again and commit. I'm determined to have a sober december and there is still a chance to end 2020 on a good note. Its been such a year of ups and downs for me, some of my best times and some of my worst. Anyway it helps to have put this here as I feel I cant tell anyone in 'real life' everyone thinks I'm doing great. so yeah -_- Anyway guys I hope your all still good and stacking up those days and milestones. your in my thoughts xx
Old 11-17-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You are sober again love, as you said. That is a huge win.

These experiences really cement (for me) all of the reasons we don't want to go back....it makes us so unhappy before it even does any physical damage.

Just so glad you are back with us. s ❤️
Old 11-17-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus :-) I guess I realised even though no one knew I had drinks......I had cheated myself, and it wasn't really what I wanted. Trying to get yourself from alcoholic to sober is really such a painful process....... a long process for the soul........I would never wish it on anyone for sure. Anyway cleaning like mad getting ready for Christmas decorations. Cheese and crackers and salami and self care. I wouldn't make it one day on that water fast red... haha take care x
Old 11-17-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you sounding more chipper.

I know.....hiding and lying is soul-destroying for me as well.
I really do understand how you feel. xxx

Don't work TOO hard, and please pass the cheese.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm hurting like I have broken my own heart or something and maybe that was finally my rock bottom. Not breaking my leg or letting people down...not making a fool of myself but drinking discreetly and quietly and feeling really utterly sad about it. Anyway thankyou for reading I'm about to get in bed... I've overdone the cheese :-) I'm reading books about true stories of survival. 438 days is my book at the moment...so inspiring. Il be about posting again soon xx
Old 11-17-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I broke my heart too....I hear you.
Not sure if you have seen my signature....one of the quotes is about that.
We can heal dear Greentree, and get stronger in the broken places. s ❤️

Sleep tight love. Don't let those bed bugs bite! s
Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So glad you came back Greentree
I’m back on day 4 myself. I was feeling sad and awful after drinking too, but I’m slowly coming back up. Pass the cheese to me please

I hope you’re still going ok red.
Goodnight everyone
Old 11-21-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, been a while since I logged in and this is the first thread I came too. At this point I have just been forgetting to check in here. Ever since work picked up I stopped coming with the intention of getting back and now I just forget entirely. I would like to spend some more time here again and catch up with you all. A quick scan and it seems you all are on the wagon again which is great! I am on day 139 and hardly think about drinking. I am focusing on my health and losing body fat which I have found distances me from the AV and relapses. I need to remember to come on here again!