Notices

Class of March 2020 Part 7

Old 09-10-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Talk about a post with a double meaning, lol. It’s no wonder people get in trouble all the time with their texts. Good thing I’m not much of a text person because drunk texts would have gotten me in trouble. Dating myself but I remember when chat rooms were popular. Luckily I was married and soon with kids when I even found out these existed. I can imagine lots of folks got in hot water with those.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:34 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Bahahaha that’s funny Be definitely double meaning there

I did have a nice day off, and had a lovely time with my sister.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

It's quiet in the group today - are we all away having adventures, or are we adventure free and so nothing to report?

Have a great night/day all
Old 09-11-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I guess I’m on an adventure. Spending the night in Baton Rouge Louisiana after driving 7 hours after work today. Now another 6 hours tomorrow and we will be at my sons place in Florida. When we got to the hotel their were people drinking at the bar there. I didn’t feel jealous at all as I will feel better for the drive tomorrow. It’s funny but the last couple of years I would get driving anxiety when going on long trips. I didn’t notice it at all today so it must have been a side effect from drinking.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Have a great time with your son Bilr. What's the weather like in Florida?

Just eaten a large takeaway and feel a bit over-full...but the worst of this is a bit of discomfort, so much easier than the old alcohol rigmarole
Old 09-12-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I had a bit of an adventure, went for a long drive with my partner to look at another potential job for him.

Now it’s Sunday morning here. I’m feeling a bit flat so I need to get my act together and get outside for some fresh air
Old 09-12-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Made it to Florida a few hours ago. Hot and humid here with a thunderstorm. Par for the course in Florida this time of year. Just helped him put a bed frame together at his apartment and took him to Costco to buy things he could use, like bamboo bed sheets, lol. Tomorrow his girlfriend arrives after spending a couple of weeks with her brother in Cleveland. It’s funny how families end up living so far apart here in the states. On Monday we will all drive to Orlando to visit my daughter. It is fun helping your young adult kids out in early career life.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds great Bilr - you too Willow

D
Old 09-12-2020, 11:55 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Morning all,
So, back from my first ever non drinking holiday and you know what I had a really good time, my partner definitely drank less than he usually would also which was helpful. I had a moment where we met a couple of friends we'd met when we started canal boating where I worried that I would no longer be considered 'fun' but you know what? 5 minutes in and that ceased to be of any consequence at all and we met them for dinner just this Friday before we gave the boat back. Everyone else drank (not excessively) but I stuck with my diet coke and it really didn't feel like I was missing out or becoming socially inept as a result of not drinking with everyone else.
I'm really pleased, I think part of me was even worried if I would enjoy that holiday at all, was it just the flexibility to booze unrestrained that was the attraction? It turns out it's not - what a relaxing, lovely time - looking forward to the next time.
I feel very grateful right now and thankful to you guys for being part of the journey.

On that note, how is everyone?
Be - when is your mediation with your wife? I kind of get her reluctance to make affirmative action, sometimes that is the scariest thing but you're in such a new place - you can feel it with every post you write, I hope your wife can work with you so you can start another chapter afresh,
Bilr, how is Florida? Or have you moved onto Orlando to see your daughter? It must be wonderful to be part of their adult lives plus being able to move around (current covid climate) at last to help them, every time I see your posts it makes me think of how much I'd like to explore America, - one day hopefully
Willow, hope you are doing well, I've missed all of you

Shout out to Suze and Dee as usual - back to work on Mon so I'll be seeing you all a little more
Love Billy x
Old 09-13-2020, 01:48 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back billy

D
Old 09-13-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi Billy,

so when I was thinking river cruise I was thinking of a cruise boat but on a river. It sounds like you had your own boat which is really nice. I’ve never captained a boat so wouldn’t even know where to start, lol. America is pretty big to explore. I think at last count I’ve been to 25 of the states. We were supposed to go Hawaii this month but we cancelled several months ago. That’s okay because either way I’m spending time with the family and it costs a lot less driving to Florida. Just driving here I went through 3 other States, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. I’m definitely better at these road trips sober.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Billy and all of you. s ❤️
Old 09-13-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Billy. Great that you had a good holiday - for me the idea of drinking socially is really attractive, but whenever I go to social things I come away surprised that I enjoyed them more without drinking. This makes me think its just my addiction looking for an excuse to drink, and it sees social occasions when I used to drink as a good place to trap me. But, like you, its fine not drinking, it isn't an issue!

And is "drunk in charge of a canal boat" an offence? If it isn't it should be

Yeah, we've had one mediation session each and have a 90 minute one together a week tomorrow. Its only the money issue we've got to tackle ("ONLY"!!), as kids care and all that is agreed. I think my wife is coming around to the idea that divorcing is just too complex at the minute, we need to separate with an agreement in place, and come back to finally sort the money out when the dust has settled. I'm not greedy and want her to live well, I just want to make sure I can keep the house and some security for the kids, in what will be a fairly stressful time for them, and so leaving the divorce for a few years doesn't bother me at all...its about the short term (and by that I mean next few years) until the kids are a bit older and more robust - or even moving out!
Old 09-13-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'm not sure whether drunk in charge of a canal boat is an offence or not, the fastest you can go is 4mph, certainly I think a lot of people on the canals would be offending, but I doubt many were ever as drunk as me! Luckily my partner did the main portion of the steering then!
Old 09-13-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

It sounds like you had a lovely time Billy It’s so good you had fun sober. Well done for not drinking! I went out for dinner on the weekend and also drank diet coke and I was designated driver, which worked out fine.

I think the rules for boating here are the same as driving in regards to drinking. They have water police, but I don’t know how often they pull people up, and I’m sure many people drink out on the water, but perhaps not as much as I used to. I have never steered a boat though, except for a couple of minutes here and there.

Anyway, it’s Monday morning and I need to get ready for work
Old 09-14-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

BE, sounds like you are being rational and thinking things through for the children’s sake. That is very nice because a lot of times the kids suffer through a separation/divorce because the parents make everything revolve around themselves. I’m glad you are taking the compassionate/great father approach.

Day three of vacation and heading 5 hours south to Orlando today. I am really relaxed and sleeping well. I didn’t realize how much you really don’t need alcohol to enjoy life. In fact you enjoy living way more and are more present in the moment without it. We even went to a bar/restaurant yesterday to get hamburgers and had to sit at the bar because of lack of seating. None of us drank alcohol and we didn’t miss it. Nobody has drank an ounce of alcohol since We have been here and only I am probably even thinking of that, lol.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

You Americans and your crazy long drives!

You're so right, the idea I need alcohol to enjoy things is a transparent lie, fueled by my addiction that is just looking for excuses to drink!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Lol 5 hours driving is a common occurrence for us. Everything is pretty far apart here, “just down the road” could easily be a 5 hour drive or more

Sounds like fun times Bilr

I agree about the AV it’s irrational and tells us lies to try to get it’s fix.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Morning all! We've got some lovely late summer/early autumn sunshine and it's so beautiful. It's cold first and last thing and crisp, I just love it
Old 09-14-2020, 11:43 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Morning Be
It’s afternoon here and a lovely day too.