Old 08-08-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope everyone is having a good sober weekend

D
Old 08-08-2020, 11:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Unders
I made it through the bbq safely. I was the only non drinking person there in about a dozen people. We stayed a bit over 3 hours. That was enough I had 3 n/a drinks and drove home. It was ok, nothing too exciting but pleasant enough, although after all these early nights I’ve been having, I was really tired when we got home!

Just been keeping busy today (Sunday is always tricky for me). It’s 4.15pm and I’m about to go for a walk as it’s a gorgeous day
I hope you’re all going ok
Old 08-09-2020, 12:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Glad the party went okay Willow, I know weekends were always harder for me, and I guess psychologically we think of Sunday as a last gasp chance to drink before the working week begins, I know I would fit in what drinking I could. So glad it isn't an issue now, what a bind drinking used to be. I convinced myself it was a pleasure, but in reality it was really just such a time-consuming vice.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yeah Sundays were always my biggest drinking days, because I didn’t have to do anything else. I worked 6 days a week so had fewer free hours. Sunday I would often start drinking in the morning and keep going all day. I wouldn’t get much of anything done.
You’re right Toots, it’s such a time waster! I get so much more done sober. I had a very productive Sunday today
Old 08-10-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey undies! Day 30 something here!
Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi everyone

Hope you are all doing well. I had a few days away from SR and now catching up on new posts.

Willow - this made me laugh:
Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
I had 3 n/a drinks and drove home.
I had never thought about counting n/a drinks! Did you ever count alco-drinks or is this a new sober thing to do? I really like it! I think I will have to give it a go next time I have to go to a 'drinking' occasion.

Max - congrats on 30 something days! I seem to recall that you may be a little conscious of needed to know quit dates, so I also laughed at your "something" line. Either way a month is fantastic - you are working so hard at this and it is really working for you.
CONGRATULATIONS!.

Charon - how's everything going? I really hope you are going OK and that you check in again soon. Thoughts are with you.

Big hello to everyone.

News from my end....
Over three months sober now and loving it. I have had a pretty good run with no major life dramas to deal with, but I am enjoying dealing with the minor life events in a rational and calm manner - so much easier than picking up the bottle and letting things escalate to out-of-control levels.
Also now on day 11 of not smoking - this journey ain't much fun and I am struggling with it. One day at a time with my next milestone set at 2 weeks (the goal is forever, but I need the little milestones along the way!).

Take care of yourselves.....
Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lol Coz, I used to try to count alcoholic drinks but I always lost count.
I didn’t want to have any temptation at the BBQ, so I took 3 n/a ginger beers, one for each hour I was there lol. In hindsight it is funny. One drink an hour
It was part of my plan to avoid any temptation to drink because I knew that if I didn’t have a drink in hand, people would try to give me a drink, and I knew everyone would be drinking alcohol.

Well done on 30+ days Max and 3+ months Coz!

7 weeks today for me
Old 08-10-2020, 08:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats max and coz!
And the rest of us.
1 day closer to being an over
Old 08-10-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Coz well done on the 3+ months and the 12 (now) days of not smoking! Sounds like you are doing great.

Charon, we need more puppy picks, hurry back!

Max well done sweetie, hope you're doing ok?

FK wise words my friend! I I love an 'Undie-Graduation' !
Old 08-10-2020, 11:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I got to be an Over, then I screwed up and came right on back to the Undies.....
Next time I get to be an Over I’m going to keep posting in the Undies but stay an Over!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Adding a different allergy med has not been as easy as it sounds. Multiple fairly bad side effects put me in a pretty weak state. I missed posting (or doing anything) for a number of days. Hopefully it is now sorted out. Fortunately I'm so worn out that any thought of alcoholic drink is repugnant.

Dee, the SMART meeting only made me realize that I didn't know what was true, if anything is. I had been holding on to anger and hostility against someone that had died many years ago and the meeting with the therapist, the SMART meeting, and subsequent rumination got me to realize that what I had thought was real (I was being fair and my spouse was not) was not true (at least in part) and what Mrs' perception was (that I often took it out on her) was true. Neither had anything to do with the lapse. I drank because I wanted to drink. Excuses are not reasons.

A while back I ordered a cast iron mini-wok (nine inches). I like to fry potato cubes to go with hamburgers and hot dogs when I need a junk food fix. I really didn't have a good pot to do that in. They would always stick and if I covered with a lid to keep the stove clean they didn't get crisp. When I saw the wok I had to have one. I love cooking in straight cast iron. It came yesterday and I can't wait to try it out. It's the perfect size for a single serving.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Charon. I hope you can get the allergies sorted out with a medication that works for you.

It’s Wednesday morning and I didn’t sleep well at all last night I am so glad I don’t have to work today
Old 08-11-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its good to see you back Charon

D
Old 08-11-2020, 04:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Charon
It is great to see you back. Hope you feel better really soon and that the new meds really work for you.
Funny you mention your new wok. I bought one yesterday (from the savings I have made from not smoking). It's not a cast iron one, but I have always wanted one. Mine will be used for healthy stir-fries though .

Willow - maybe you can take a day time nap to catch up on lost sleep from last night? Do you know why you had trouble sleeping?
Oh - and congrats on 7 weeks of sober living! Onward and upward!

Toots, FK, Max, Purps, all the undies... , take care, enjoy your days and be content with your new and better life.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome back. One more small thing to work out with the meds. I'm finding it extremely hard to sleep. I'm going to try taking them earlier in the evening instead of right before I go to bed.

The mini-wok is perfect. Just the right size for a bit more than a single serving. The potatoes cane out brown and crispy and cleaning cast iron is so easy. I grilled enough chicken yesterday for two more meals. Tonight I think I'll try basmati rice, mandolin sliced hot peppers, and diced onions in the wok as my side.

It's cooler today. I mowed half the main lawns yesterday and I looked like I had been swimming. Even by afternoon the grass was still wet. I had to mow though. As it is there are a lot of grass clippings to pick up. They make good mulch and I have a vacume to suck them up, so it's not a lot of work. Tomorrow I'll trim and then hope I'm done for a week or more. The lawn has been growing insanely fast. I'm not terribly excited by having to mow more than once a week.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good to see you back Charon, I hope the meds get sorted, I take an allergy tablet at night about an hour before I'm ready to sleep, and it does make me drowsy. I've tried the non drowsy type, but they don't work as well for my allergies. Good going on the lawn, I dread to think what ours will look like on our return mid September!

Willow, I know you will make the year again and will this time keep up your sobriety.

Cuz, it's good to Treat yourself from money saved from your vices, it is tangible Proof of your success and a reward, all in one!

Keep Safe Folks
Old 08-12-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello all! Coz, I use the money I've saved by not drinking alcohol to give myself little gifts, too! Usually it's books. Quitting smoking would really pay!
I just stopped in to say hello. I'm sober and busy and feeling good. I hope everyone is doing well today.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Coz

Well done with your crispy potatoes and chicken in the wok Charon. I tried my new wok out last night with a Singapore noodle stir fry. It was OK, but not fantastic. I don't think I got it hot enough and already envious of your cast iron one! I'll try again tonight and see if I can improve my wok cooking skills.

Toots - Are you in Spain at the moment? Where is home (apart from where the grass is long)?

Willow and Karen - you are both doing fantastically in your sober lifestyles - an inspiration to folks like me. Hope you got a better night sleep Willow.

Hi and best'est wishes to all the undies

Old 08-12-2020, 10:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Coz, we are currently in our Spanish home and intend to spend almost half the year here, split Into shorter trips of 4-6 weeks, with the idea of moving out permanently in a few years. The rest of the time we live in Scotland, Hubbies land of birth and the land of my heart. ( unfortunately also the land of cr4p weather!). Our kids and grandson are there, and my 81 year old mum is around 400 miles south of the border in England, so I also spend time down there when back in the U.K.