Notices

Class of July 2020 Part Two

Old 07-21-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

SirFHaddock, never could imagine I would stumble upon a long lost family member around here. As any Tintinophile will know, Sir Francis Haddock was Captain Haddock’s ancient forefather and a decorated naval officer, having sunk a pirate ship. Congrats on making the decision to quit and making it to 14 days.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
SirFHaddock, never could imagine I would stumble upon a long lost family member around here. As any Tintinophile will know, Sir Francis Haddock was Captain Haddock’s ancient forefather and a decorated naval officer, having sunk a pirate ship. Congrats on making the decision to quit and making it to 14 days.
Thank you Archibald. Yup big Tintin fan, my wife's present to me on my 40th birthday was a trip to the Tintin museum in Brussels.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Yes, my first name remains a huge source of embarrassment . Great present. I would absolutely love to visit the museum.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and to the group Dear SirFHaddock. s ❤️

I am betting a lot of people will relate to your withdrawal diary.....and yes, day 5 was a big shocker to me as well.
And tea also made me ill (the tannin I think?) as did junk food.

Really happy you joined us. xxx
Old 07-21-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

PS.....I have zero clue what you guys are talking about re tintinophile etc.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Haddock, that is a pretty typical progression for most. That day 5 setback is what gets a lot of people and they relapse but look what was awaiting you the following day. So many people are right on the cusp of better days and fail because the going gets tough. This is when we have to grit our teeth and want sobriety more than anything else. You need to protect your sobriety at all costs. This means telling the pub people you aren't going. Most people who quit successfully had to do that in the beginning.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Prettiekitty and Jewel, you need to use this relapse as a chance to get mad at alcohol, at least this is what works for me. Look at what it is doing to you and your relationships. Get rid of that crap and don't look back. Tell the AV to **** off outloud. I have been in that position and even though I wasn't ready I went to my wife and initiated conversation to break the silence and start the healing. Props to both of you for being here still and keeping on trying as that is better than most.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welcome Prettykittie and SirFHaddock

Sending big hugs Jewel and Greentree. You guys can do this, we’ve got your back. Life is so much better without alcohol. Kick the AV to the curb, it’s a liar and robs us of our life if we let it. We don’t need to let it. We can take our life back from it
Old 07-21-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Well, another day 1. I’ve had a few since I ended my 124 day streak a few weeks ago. Very tired of this and don’t want it to happen again. Sounds like a few of us have been struggling. I’m going to make it this time. Sure doesn’t take long for the rails to fall off once I take that first drink. Thankfully I didn’t drink much yesterday so I don’t feel too bad today. Didn’t sleep much though. Hopefully better tonight.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Way to get right back at it Scott.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Day 24 . welcome to the newbies hope everyone is having a good day /night and staying sober.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hope you get some sleep tonight dear Scott. s
Old 07-21-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I have to come up with a better plan when stress hits. That’s is my main trigger. I will try posting more if I feel it coming on.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:32 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

CNGY, you forgot the hashtag
Old 07-21-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
CNGY, you forgot the hashtag
#TeamJuly lol thanks Puck imma come hunt you down too.. check in even if you're not sober currently
Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome SirF and welcome back prettiekittie, jewel and Scott.

for me to stay sober I had to simplify things - whenever I wanted to drink I needed to have alternative strategies - even something as simple as committing to check in read and post here before you drink can be an alternative.

Everyone needs a plan.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 07-21-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Just a note before an early bedtime, went on that walk this afternoon. Has been since May that I have been able to walk that route. It brought back a bunch of unpleasant memories, sadly, I stumbled drunk along my walks many times. Other times I was rushing to get it done so I could get back and begin my drinking. AV showed up to join the party. It is a mile trek, at the half-way point I managed to lose the AV and make a plan. Headed home, showered and made dinner. Kept busy so I wouldn't want to think about drinking. Was bummed to have my walk ruined that way but I will be out again tomorrow. Maybe I need to turn up my headphones a bit louder.
Wishing everyone a night of sober dreams!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you gave the AV the slip Kaptn
Old 07-21-2020, 09:31 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scott2295 View Post
Well, another day 1. I’ve had a few since I ended my 124 day streak a few weeks ago. Very tired of this and don’t want it to happen again. Sounds like a few of us have been struggling. I’m going to make it this time. Sure doesn’t take long for the rails to fall off once I take that first drink. Thankfully I didn’t drink much yesterday so I don’t feel too bad today. Didn’t sleep much though. Hopefully better tonight.
Hi Scott, glad you're back. My last longest sober stint was 98 days (last year) and after that I ended up drinking again for 9 months. Good signs you're back so soon. Was it anything significant that caused you to drink again after 124 days? Was it an attempt at moderation or a complete intentional 180?