Notices

Class of July 2020 Part Two

Old 07-26-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

I actually do understand Charon. A number of years ago we had real Christmas trees. By the end of one Christmas I was wheezing and coughing and figured the tree was to blame. I asking my wife if we could take it down. She wouldn’t do it. Not really sure why. But it was awful. Finally she relented. By that time, the tree was tinder. I did find out a couple of years ago that I am really allergic to all tree pollen and pine especially. We now only have artificial Christmas trees. I was drinking every day then so that might have affected my allergies. I do breath a lot better sober.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Charon. Allergies are no joke. Ive had a few chest infections due to black mold spores before so I can empathise somewhat. Hope you feel better soon
Old 07-26-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Day 20

Back to 'normal' today.
I forgot withdrawal can make you pessimistic and emotionally fragile (not paranoid and neurotic - but on the outer edges of normal)

I need to be careful about self-pity - you know the saying, "poor me, poor me, pour me a drink!"

Some posts here are enlightening and interesting. I have noticed there is wanton cruelty against people who are quitting, and usually by people close to them. I suppose drunks can be funny, unpredictable, manageable, but quitters become more complicated and less fun, and need more maintenance (for at least 3 months).

It could be a really dark comedy film - alcoholic clown quits and his wife starts tormenting him to get him to start drinking so she can have her clown back. Maybe not.

Anyway - well done if you are still hanging on :-)

Picture test:

Old 07-26-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hello all had 4 weeks yesterday ... day 29 today. Tomorrow is 30. Geez that went fast. I read this earlier and it resonated with me..
If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Day 2...these first days are the hardest. I’m still feeling the physical effects on my binge but the depression is by far the worst part. Don’t want to get out of bed but I have to as it’s Monday morning.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just checking in on day 34. Hang in there if you’re struggling, it’s worth it in the long run.
Hills I also suffered terrible depression during withdrawal. Go gently on yourself and rest as much as you can.
Charon I hope you can get some relief soon, that sounds awful.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Morning All. Checking in on day 24.

In my case drinking causes reasonably severe depression that usually starts on the morning after and from there on it’s rinse and repeat. Fortunately it started improving almost immediately once I got through day 1. Exercise, even just going for a walk, seems to have helped me a lot. It might be different for all of us but one thing is sure - it will improve and keep improving.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Morning all day 8. Well done captain on your 24 days and willow on day 34 keep it going! Day 30 today for you cutengay.its rough hills I know what your feeling...like nothing will feel good ever again, it will if you can hang in there get lots of water down.Exercise helps me too. I feel good today. No cravings. It's like winter again here today it's cold wet and windy got some documents I need to get done and some reading later.

Charon and scott I sympathize with you but scott I understand why your wife was reluctant to remove her tree...they do smell amazing! I have pollen triggered asthma I have a blue inhaler for it but it's very mild I get like two attacks a year so not so bad really.

Hope you all have a great day and stay sober and safe x
Old 07-27-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Day 20 (nearly three weeks) – This has been the longest period for me of not drinking any alcohol in over 25 years. I’m feeling so much better for it. Just this last week has seen such improvement in discovering what restful REM sleep feels like, being able to think properly, remembering things and having more energy during the day. During my first week of giving up I couldn’t even begin to type this post as concentration and thinking were out of the question. Though I haven’t monitored my weight by scales, I can see that my face in particular looks less round and bloated. Clothes are beginning to feel a little baggier.

I know I’m probably not out of the woods yet. I still don't feel as healthy as I should (some exercise is definitely needed), I tire easily towards late afternoon and go to bed early. Some withdrawal symptoms are still cropping up now and again though they are far less severe. Day 15 for example saw the return of clammy hands and a big headache, the weekend just gone I had mild brain fog for a couple of hours. Some sites seem to suggest withdrawal symptoms after two weeks might mean other underlying health problems, but I’m not so sure. However I still have no urge to drink, which is good.

Another thing that has struck home was how stressful drinking was. The stress of finding money, driving about knowing I was always over the limit, the stress of trying to remember what shop I had visited the day before so I would go to another one hoping no-one would take notice how much I really put away. All of that has now gone. It’s amazing how much money I’ve saved, so I treated myself to a new computer game (Ghost of Tsushima which is great).

Despite this I know that the lockdown and the current hassle of visiting shops has really helped. When (maybe if) things return back to normal that will be a test of cravings. I’m a great lover of live sport which always involves beer and junk food. Most of my friends are pub orientated so that’s another problem. Alcohol appears not to be the only thing I will be giving up but large parts of my social life as well. That’s going to be hard further down the road.

But for now I’m looking on the positives, taking each win as I find them. Once again thank you to everyone on here for tips, advice and sharing experiences, it’s been a great help.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:20 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SirFHaddock View Post
Day 20 (nearly three weeks) – This has been the longest period for me of not drinking any alcohol in over 25 years. I’m feeling so much better for it. Just this last week has seen such improvement in discovering what restful REM sleep feels like, being able to think properly, remembering things and having more energy during the day. During my first week of giving up I couldn’t even begin to type this post as concentration and thinking were out of the question. Though I haven’t monitored my weight by scales, I can see that my face in particular looks less round and bloated. Clothes are beginning to feel a little baggier.

I know I’m probably not out of the woods yet. I still don't feel as healthy as I should (some exercise is definitely needed), I tire easily towards late afternoon and go to bed early. Some withdrawal symptoms are still cropping up now and again though they are far less severe. Day 15 for example saw the return of clammy hands and a big headache, the weekend just gone I had mild brain fog for a couple of hours. Some sites seem to suggest withdrawal symptoms after two weeks might mean other underlying health problems, but I’m not so sure. However I still have no urge to drink, which is good.

Another thing that has struck home was how stressful drinking was. The stress of finding money, driving about knowing I was always over the limit, the stress of trying to remember what shop I had visited the day before so I would go to another one hoping no-one would take notice how much I really put away. All of that has now gone. It’s amazing how much money I’ve saved, so I treated myself to a new computer game (Ghost of Tsushima which is great).

Despite this I know that the lockdown and the current hassle of visiting shops has really helped. When (maybe if) things return back to normal that will be a test of cravings. I’m a great lover of live sport which always involves beer and junk food. Most of my friends are pub orientated so that’s another problem. Alcohol appears not to be the only thing I will be giving up but large parts of my social life as well. That’s going to be hard further down the road.

But for now I’m looking on the positives, taking each win as I find them. Once again thank you to everyone on here for tips, advice and sharing experiences, it’s been a great help.
Great going on day 20! Keep going. I know what you mean about the stress of finding the money, having to buy other items so I don't look like complete alcoholic. Mentally calculating how many units I would get for my money, how long it would last and if it would be enough for the day .I live right by a tesco, aldi and iceland so would rotate them. Paranoid that people are watching me walking up the street and saying to themselves oh off she goes for her booze. So so tiring !

I can only imagine your symptoms will improve the longer you stay sober, maybe visit your doctor just for a check up and peace of mind x
Old 07-27-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Day 21

3 weeks is a good milestone - I've quit before and from 3 weeks it gets much much easier... (or does it?)

Hello Hills - take care (can't you have a week off sick?)

I quit smoking about 20 years ago, and my feeling was (and still is), I hate it - it stinks - and it's expensive. I feel the same about drinking now: I hate it - it stinks - and it's expensive.

My quit feels different this time because I really do not want to drink ever again in my life (even if nuclear bombs are coming). I have had no cravings and when I go to a shop that has booze I don't start salivating like a dog at meal time when I walk past the bottles. It seems like when you really quit you kinda rewire you brain so drinking becomes 'other' and dirty and disgusts you (like eating poo or a hot-dog at a sports stadium).

Anyway - well done if you are still hanging on :-)
Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Oh my, Redcardid! Your posts have me giggling out loud!

Im reading daily, but back in the darkness and trying to break free once and for all. I hope to be back in this class. Need to get back to a full day one again.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:54 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Talk to us Jewel honey. s xx ❤️❤️
Old 07-27-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

I need to get back to a place where my brain understands I will never drink again and will not change my mind. Just can’t get back there. I’m finding it so hard to stay stopped. But I must do this. Going to try again today. Drinking is disgusting. And the time, money, health, etc one wastes for it is pathetic. I’ll be
back soon, I pray.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

I am not sure that would work/have worked for me....I feel like that is putting a lot of pressure on yourself.
I think that keeping it just for today is easier in the beginning.
All you have to do today is not drink for this one day. That's it. And I am going to be with you.
Here, text, whatever you like.

We can do it. I know you like plans.....let's make one for the day and add in something nice for yourself. Something that will make you smile.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Morning.

Called the Dr. this morning. I get to try OTC allergy meds till I find one that works. No way to tell which that might be so it's trial & error. At least I have some hope of relief now. I'm going to go out to mow today. Might as well. The allergens are all through the house except my bedroom. And they get in there in small quantities when I go in and out. Oh well. Could be a lot worse.

On a much happier subject, I got new pictures from the breeder. I'm in love!!!

Old 07-27-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

She is divine Charon! ❤️
Old 07-27-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Jewel, you don’t have to be on at least day 1 or 2 to be part of us on this thread. Please stay and keep posting. I hope you soon start putting those days together again.

hills, get through today and tomorrow will be smoother, I’m sure.

Great update SirFHaddock. I like your list of things you don’t stress about anymore. Getting sober requires a bit of a lifestyle change in some respects, if not at least in the beginning.

Charon, I hope the allergy issues ease up a bit soon. I often got hay fewer when I was younger, and it was no laughing matter. Could never go anywhere dusty for any extended period of time.

Nice update from you as well Greentree and still love your humor Redcardid.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

ps: Q&GY, congrats on getting to one month.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

im nearly finishing my first 24hrs x i myself is trying to just keep it in 1 day at a time x hope u dont go jewel,i am in same position xx