Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #11

Old 07-31-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for your insightful post, SG. So glad you are riding the wave of good feelings. The school thing must be so frustrating to people with children still in school and a little scary.
No rain here at all and the fires have started. Hoping as we get more into the really hot dog days in Aug and Sept that we don't see the state on fire! Wow. It seems like we all have so much to deal with these days.
FBL, hoping your new en suite office is working out well.
Cour, I hope your work situation turns out the way you want it to and if you want to go back to your office, I hope they let you.
Glee, love to see you here and love your posts!
Carlos, always good to see you.
I hope all of you are doing well. It's so nice to see everyone's posts.
Take care all!!
Old 07-31-2020, 05:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone is doing well

just a reminder - no politics please...which includes commenting on leadership or lack of.
I know its tough to speak about things with that rule but it works pretty well here to keep things civil.

D
Old 08-01-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
older people(like us)
I object! I'm younger than Methusaleh. Plus give me a little credit for being very childish

Dee, totally understand the rule -- but in the US, poor leadership can be claimed in every party and caste. It's political persuasion- and preference-neutral. Just sayin'. Now

sg, best wishes for lots of visits to your feeder! We have a family of four sparrow hawks in the neighborhood. They conduct hunting parties from the building next door.

NYC street scenes: I see lots & lots of people with martinis and wine and gin-and-tonics at the restaurants offering dining outside -- which is pretty much all of the ones with liquor licenses, and they're packing them in. The people look so happy to see one another, especially the ladies who're showing off their summer shoulders. Somehow, looking at normies having normal fun is nice, cheerful. It doesn't tempt me. I don't believe that alcohol has a bad effect on everyone -- but I absolutely know it *never* had a good effect on me.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The sparrow hawk is really pretty. I've never seen one before. Thank U for the pic, Cour!

SG, if you get any pics of different birds, I'd love it if you'd share them. As I get older I am more and more interested in birds. When I was younger, I was kind of afraid of them. I have handled difficult stallions, huge warmbloods, like 1,500 pounds that were goofy and highly bred and crazy thoroughbreds off the track and I was afraid of birds. I had a friend who was an equine veterinarian and he had parrots. So smart, except one of his parrot was so protective of him that you couldn't get anywhere near him while that parrot was around, He/she was a serious Guard Parrot!
Hope you all are well.
Gosh, I wish this pandemic were over, but I think we will be dealing with it for a time. (I hope that is not considered political, if it is, I apologize in advance).
Take good care all of you. Stay safe and healthy.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee, totally understand the rule -- but in the US, poor leadership can be claimed in every party and caste. It's political persuasion- and preference-neutral. Just sayin'. Now
I'm not going to debate the rules Courage.

It wasn't an abstract statement.

One members lack of leadership in FL may be another members beleaguered State government under siege from left wing insurgents, or some such.

I'm not here to debate who's right or wrong there either.
Not my job.

My job is to keep this place running smoothly.

I think we all owe it to ourselves to keep the things that divide us for other websites, and the things that unite us front and centre.

D
Old 08-01-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Apologies SG - I hate removing posts but I'm thinking that might be better in future than public non recovery related discussions like these.

D
Old 08-01-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
p***enger

Aw sheesh. I'm bummed.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let move on so we all can refocus and find a place of non-bummedness

Have a good weekend everyone
D
Old 08-02-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
p***enger

This is called Guts

And this, PeteyPie

Old 08-03-2020, 04:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Nice photos, Cour. We have a lot of hawks in our neck of the woods. Our new offices are out in the country and so far I've seen hawks, herons and wild turkeys. In fact, I had a turkey peaking in my window the other morning!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love the photos too, Cour!
I think I saw a vulture the other day or something that looked like one. So interesting, so rare. We have a lot of wild turkeys around too.
xxoo
Old 08-04-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Being pounded by heavy rains from Tropical Storm Isaias. Expecting up to six inches of rain. Tornado warnings for next six hours. A tornado has formed very close to where we vacation at the Jersey shore. My septic tank is flooded out from all the ground water rushing in.

Best wishes all.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

SG, so, so sorry to hear that. Take good care. I've heard parts of the East coast and the South are really getting a lot of storms and rains. Sending good thoughts. Stay safe.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
p***enger

Here too, on the storm. I have a minor phobia about high winds and this kind of storm makes me nervous.

Edit: To be rigorously honest, I've been clutching the blankets in bed for the last few hours.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Cour, sending good thoughts your way

I'm not crazy about storms either. Back in Chicago, we could get some terrible lightning storms and the tornado watches. It is scary.

Everyone on the East Coast, take good care!
Old 08-04-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

take care guys

D
Old 08-05-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey All,
Sorry about all the storming up north. I hope the worst is passed. I'm on the left coast of FL and we were bypassed by the storm completely.
I've finished my first week of work at the Y and I think I'm really going to enjoy it there. NE liked my official purple golf shirt with Y-logo. Haha, dude in uniform kinda thing.
Cool pic, blanket-clutcher. Best with that septic situation, SG.
Getting an eye exam today. My first in a few years so I'm certain to have graduated up the scale. At least it is near my old Y so I'm popping in for a combat class early evening.
Hello, Ali, GF, FBL, Dee, etc...
Let's all stay safe and sober.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hey, Carlos!

Stay safe, all you east coasters! Hurricanes are one thing we don't have to worry about in Wisconsin.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
p***enger

I went to my office today! There's been no official word that we can return, and I'm not supposed to work there (just visit to retrieve books or whatever), but they will definitely let me in. There are some new protocols, is all. My contract doesn't re-start until the end of August, but I hope to start spending most of my days there next week
Old 08-05-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good for you, Cour! I'm glad they'll let you in. I know that is what you wanted.
Hoping the storms are winding down? It sure cooled down today here, but windy.

Pleasant dreams tonight!