Notices

Class of July 2020 Part One

Old 07-14-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Morning all and welcome BritGal.

Day 11 here and feeling good. Again I noticed how we seem to start taking better care of ourselves once we stop drinking. To name but a few I’ve seen people eating better, drinking more water, taking supplements, regular exercise, better sleep and more attention to personal hygiene.

Hoping everyone makes it through today unscathed. Strength to those that are struggling, but know that it is very much worth it.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:40 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

sod it i am back, and its day 1, got to get my crap together!
Old 07-14-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome brItgal and erratic

D
Old 07-14-2020, 02:06 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks dee x
wee gson will be 4 wks tomo so if i can do 9 days at daughters i can do it here, i guess i feel more determend this time around x
Old 07-14-2020, 02:53 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Welcome Britgal
Good to see you again Erratic!

I agree Captain, we definitely take better care of ourselves sober.

I’m back to 3 weeks today. Weirdly the AV has been really quiet, but today it piped up and started on at me before breakfast! Wine for breakfast! Whaaaaat?????? I don’t bl###y well think so stupid AV! Not a hope of that happening today. It was almost laughable actually. It’s disappeared again thankfully.

Icecream may not help the waistline or the sugar issues, but it sure does chase the AV away . I’m thinking of switching to low sugar yogurt though, as I think it’s a healthier option and will hopefully do the same trick of scaring the AV away
Old 07-14-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I'm checking in for a sober day 8. well done on the 11 days Captain. Erratic I hope your feeling ok there on day one, take care of yourself xx Max well done for not listening to that AV it is all BS at the end of the day, and Willow I too was thinking about breakfast drinks, mine was for cider (classy I know haha) Britgal Its good to see you here. Redcardid you sounded a little down on your post I hope your feeling ok. And everyone else your doing great, puck, cutengay, and jewel sorry if I missed anyone but I read all your posts. x

I have struggled with the AV a bit today, my physical and emotional withdrawal symptoms have all gone and AV is like yay you feel great now you can drink again, I just keep repeating to myself 'vomit in the bathtub...vomit in the bathtub' as thats the position I was in last week and took me a week of feeling shame to feel better about it. It will only ever end that way again. Its subsided a little now I've had some lunch. Husbands working a night shift so I am trying to focus on that, I get tv and a quiet evening to myself and I'm determined to enjoy it sober.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

On to day four; on vacation in a lake town where there is lots of drinking. But I’m safe with my family and I will not stray from them. I’ll have to catch up on posts when I get home as I’ve asked the family to unplug as much as possible for this trip. ( want to set a good example) but I am committed to checking SR daily and posting about my sobriety.

I hope you’re all well!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Good morning

Britgal - Welcome to the July Class. You're not too late, right on time.
Capt - Yes, it's so weird because when I am sober I am personal hygiene freak. My routine is so different. I get up early 5:30 - 7 am, floss, brush my teeth, shower, take a multivitamin, put on some coffee, make breakfast, take the dog out, go for a walk, normal stuff. If I am on a bender that all goes out the window and I do basically nothing until I am done drinking which can be anywhere from a week, to two weeks, to a month.
Jewel - Enjoy your vacation at the lake. Keep us updated.
Erractic - Welcome back, happy to see you posting. I've had a lot of trouble with this in the past too, but please post before you decide to drink. I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone can here can hit a chord and talk some sense into you before you pick up. That advice goes for everyone here, too, including myself. I've been guilty of not posting before I drink in the past. Numerous times.
Greentree - Hang in there. Hoping your AV won't be as loud today as it was yesterday.

I was moody and irritated yesterday, but so far today is going well. Ha, it's still early though. Give me a some time

One of the greatest things I ever experienced in recovery was becoming a pescatarian. No meat except fish, mostly fruits, nuts and veggies. I didn't even eat eggs. I was pretty strict for almost a year with this diet and I felt absolutely amazing. It really transformed me. I also walked A LOT everyday and did a bunch of mountain hiking on the weekends. With the healthy diet, exercise and no booze I was in the best shape of my life. This lifestyle did amazing things for my confidence and I found that I was able to meet people and talk to them much easier. So not only physical, but also vast mental health improvements.

I'd like to get back to the healthy eating and daily exercise again, but for the first month or so I am just going to take it easy and focus on staying dry. That's my game plan for now. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself too early.

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 07-14-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Ha, Puck, same here. Maybe yesterday was just an all around moody day. Feeling better today as well.

Got my bike ride in earlier to miss the heat and humidity. I was waitng for the dew to dry before mowing - but, it rained. Fine with me. It can wait till later today or tomorrow.

Encroachment/trespass on the back of my property resolved peacefully - thank goodness. All the bittersweet got chopped back yesterday - did the final third. IT's drying and dying.

Got a wonderful call from my daughter yesterday. She had a marvelous time at her volunteer stewardship followed by a weekend at one of her very good friends in a large Adirondack cabin where everyone had their own bedroom. She go invited back for another week at the volunteer stewardship too.

Sadly my son called this morning. His rescue dog of 10 years has canine leukemia and responded well to the chemo which was to give her about an additional year. Day before yesterday, after only 7 weeks, she crashed - couldn't stand, get up, move. All day at the vet determined that something might be pressing on her brain or spinal cord. Prednasone treatment brought her most of the way back but it doesn't look like she has much time left. Very sad situation. We've kept her a lot when they were away so we are attached as well.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Welcome Brit and erratic! All good over here. Still little to no AV activity. I just keep telling myself I have had enough. I have also had enough of letting my fitness slip and eating like crap. I agree that sugar is a great way to push the AV away but I don't really use it that way. For me it is more of an evening binge thing similar to how alcohol might have been years ago when I was single and drank every night. I am kicking it to the curb. Congrats on all the milestones in here! Day 8 here.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks for the welcome back x i am sitting here waiting for my dinner to cook and having a cold gingerbeer to drink. feeling ok so far, but as we all know its very early lol and on first day. just not going to think about it and just get on with my evening, before i know it, it will be wed tomo and then back to work on thurs. im with u potluck on getting back to healthy eating and excecise, it helped my mental illness a little also. anyway off to relaxe and then think about doing some reading x

have a good evening everyone, or where ever u are either morn or afo, xxx
Old 07-14-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Seems that you made it through Day 1, Erratic. Have a great evening and enjoy your dinner!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hi everyone —

Day 3 here. Just worked out and am about to shower and take a nap. I’m feeling better today. Some cardio and sleep have helped with the anxiety and depression. I hope you all are doing well!

Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Day 4 here. Doing okay. Better overall. Trying to take things easy. I didn’t get here overnight and I won’t fix it overnight.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Seems like everyone is doing pretty good
Old 07-14-2020, 11:36 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Took my son out to a nature area and we picked up some trash that we had found on our walk earlier in the day. Nice to get out there for a bit.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Morning all and welcome BritGal.

Day 11 here and feeling good. Again I noticed how we seem to start taking better care of ourselves once we stop drinking. To name but a few I’ve seen people eating better, drinking more water, taking supplements, regular exercise, better sleep and more attention to personal hygiene.

Hoping everyone makes it through today unscathed. Strength to those that are struggling, but know that it is very much worth it.
Day 11 for me too. And I also feel good. I've had another busy day and my energy levels are holding up surprisingly well.

It's probably psychological but after four months I was finally able to get my hair cut yesterday (could have had it cut last week when the Government allowed all hairdressers / barbers to reopen in England but they were all very busy all week) and it's put a renewed spring in my step. It's definitely lifted my mood as I don't feel unkempt any longer.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:38 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Day 11 for me too. And I also feel good. I've had another busy day and my energy levels are holding up surprisingly well.

It's probably psychological but after four months I was finally able to get my hair cut yesterday (could have had it cut last week when the Government allowed all hairdressers / barbers to reopen in England but they were all very busy all week) and it's put a renewed spring in my step. It's definitely lifted my mood as I don't feel unkempt any longer.
Glad you were finally able to get your haircut. It does feel good to look your best.

This is the perfect example why I love being bald and beautiful. I am my own barber in the shower every morning. Takes 3 mins tops with my trusty Gillette razor. If you're bald you can always stay fresh during a pandemic.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Good afternoon! Managed to get my 24 hr pledge in this morning but had some transplanting of succulents to tend to before the heat set in. Our local animal shelter non-profit is having a plant sale as a fundraiser and I needed to get them settled into their sale containers so they would be stable and looking good next week. Also let me get somewhat past the bad attitude I have today. No pink clouds on my horizon today, for sure.

Welcome to the new classmates! Day 22 here. I get your point about there being no pressure once you decide you are quitting for good, Red. Helps a lot when dealing with an AV. I know when I had stopped before, I always knew I would drink again. That was the plan. My AV would be very patient because it knew the reward would be well worth the wait. I won't be drinking again, ever. My AV and I have different arguments now. Now I always win.

Great to see so many join. Hearing from others about their journey really helps. I'm trying to focus on self care and managing my sobriety. My adult life has always been busy, like a kaleidoscope. Pretty to look at but really just all broken pieces reflected upon each other. I would like to create something different. If there is a silver lining to this horrible pandemic it will be that I have the time and safe place to work out a sober plan!

Thanks to all of you for being here. I appreciate you.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:24 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Back here. Got off track, I need to get back on track, should have stayed close to SR.