Notices

Class of May 2020 part 6

Old 06-24-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find some low impact exercises that won't hurt your tendon or calf itsmaria. Give the Web a go for suggestions.

The other thing is - sometimes 120% is not optimal. I would push myself relentlessly and end up injured 75% of the time.
Rather than, say, an hour I do 4 x increments of 15 mins at a time now.

It might be worth considering?

D
Old 06-24-2020, 05:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Itsmaria, so sorry to hear of the physical issues. And the chain reaction bit just makes it worse. Hopefully Dee's suggestion about small pieces at a time can help?

Citrus glad you are back. I have followed your story a bit. Next time maybe post before you drink? Trust me, I know that is quite difficult.

HY I hope you put a slice of that tomato on a bacon sandwich! 🙂

Busy day for me as usual. My fridge is broke down. I keep losing my kids as they are unsupervised due to covid. Having intermittent internet issues. And still losing tons of money. I am sure theres more wrong too... 😐

On the positive side I feel physically great. Well rested. Well fed. Family is healthy. Kids are happy. Bills are paid. Still able to work. And still sober.

If I dont post again tonight hope you all enjoy your morning or night or in between!

Old 06-24-2020, 08:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It was not how I planned to have the talk with Mrs. Dig, but a friend of ours shared on Facebook today that he had re-evaluated his relationship with alcohol a year and a half ago, made important changes and as a result, he's found that he is a better and far more happier employee, friend, husband and father to his three kids. Mrs. Dig brought it up and asked if I had seen Fred's post (I'll just call him Fred, not his real name). I actually had just seen it too, so it was very much on my mind. And then the words just came out, "You know, Mrs. Dig, I mean you probably already know this, but anyways, I stopped drinking too." Her response was classic Mrs. Dig - "Yeah I kind of figured you had stopped." She WAS happy and asked how long. I told her 90 days tomorrow! She mentioned that she had noticed I wasn't spending so much time alone in the basement (check-mark #1), that I wasn't so cranky in the mornings or combative at night (check-mark #2 and #3) and that I was far more active and involved in family day-to-day life (check-mark #4). We didn't get talking much more about it because I was actually on my way out to the office to retrieve some files I needed. I would love to ask her so many follow up question -- I feel like I need to know more about how it looked to her and how I made her feel. I think it will reinforce the changes I've made and to be honest I'd venture a guess she'll feel better herself being able to say things out loud. And finally to end this rant, I'm going to be a bit selfish and say that I feel so much relief now and that it's more real now. I can finally talk to her about it openly. Today I shed some guilt and some shame. I owe Fred a big thank you too for being so courageous - someday I want to let him know it kicked me in the butt good and got some much needed words out of my mouth
Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"The Ring" was found

That might've actually made my day reading that
Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Coz

Hey Dig - what wonderful posts in so many ways! I think your first post is definitely one to make your day great.
Really happy for you that you have 'come out'.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad 'The Conversation' was started Dig

D
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Congratulations Dig!!!

90 days is a great accomplishment 🙂

Old 06-24-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Awesome Dig! Perhaps slide some Ontario Place Tickets to Fred! Oh, that's closed now haha. I will run for office and rebuild it all!!!

Kidding, but I know you what I mean!
Old 06-24-2020, 11:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Going to sleep again. Great! Good night everyone!!
Old 06-24-2020, 11:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congrats Dig on the chat, sounds like a weight was lifted from your shoulders, also congrats on 90days!
Start of Day 39 for me:-) it's.meant to get.very warm today and humid,and thunderstorms so I hope.i don't get headaches!
Hope everyone has a good day
Old 06-24-2020, 11:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Free.

Hey Citrus.

I’m really glad that you keep at it. Stick to it ‘til the miracle happens, they say.

I struggled for a bit more than six years. Had on and off sobriety that whole time.(This, after 20yrs sober). I think my ‘terminal uniqueness’ nearly did me in.
I have found out that I’m not somehow ‘special’ enough that sobriety tools and steps can’t work for me. I sure thought I was. I have suffered greatly at the hands of this disease. Many times over. Been demoralized many times. Been ashamed. Lost much. Hurt others. You know, typical drunk stuff. I’m not special in that regard.

Sobriety is attained and kept by tens of thousands of people each year. I’m a person: it should work for me.

”What one can do: another can do.”

This disease is sure difficult and painful.

Strangely, the simplest solution is the hardest to attain: don’t drink. Weird.

You’ve struggled long enough Citrus. Surrender.

If nothing changes: nothing changes.

I’m so glad you’re here at SR. You post when times are good and when times are tough. I respect and appreciate your honesty.

Now.......start being good to Citrus.
Be kind and patient with yourself.

You deserve peace and goodness.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I keep losing what part of my posts I am at. If I was being political in any way, my apologies. I am not ever trying to give any sort of political message by intention. Sorry to everyone!

Just here for alcoholism is all!!
Old 06-25-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Probably broke the forum rules, which are there for a reason
Old 06-25-2020, 04:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I keep losing what part of my posts I am at. If I was being political in any way, my apologies. I am not ever trying to give any sort of political message by intention. Sorry to everyone!
Just here for alcoholism is all!!
Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Probably broke the forum rules, which are there for a reason
WL - you have lost me? I am unsure what your posts are referring to?
Old 06-25-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Wasting, I didn't see any political reference in your post. Nice that you're thinking of that, though.
Dig, such wonderful news! Seems like the universe gave you a little push. And she is happy about it and did notice! Wonderful stuff. Congrats on 90 days!
TC, I loved what you said to Citrus. Where are you Citrus? How are you doing?
Enjoy your day everyone. Such good things going on in our class.
I am on 80 days today!
Old 06-25-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Coz

Karen - congratulations on 80 days AND Dig - congratulations on 90 days!

And to everyone else in the May 2020 class who has added another day towards 'forever sober' - well done and congratulations on your well earned success.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello, classmates! How great is it that our May class is so active and engaged that we are on part 6 before the end of June? Awesome.

Dig, it's great that you and Mrs. Dig have started talking about your 90 days of abstinence and the changes in you and your family interaction. (Sidebar: I belong to an online gardening group where the first part of my username is Dig and people there call me Dig and I refer to the Mister as Mr. Dig.)

I'll be attending an online gardening webinar today and then going back outside to attack the creeping Charlie that's invaded my garden and starting working into the grass. That stuff is relentless!

Yesterday, we booked an Airbnb condo at the Delaware shore for a week in late August. Looking forward to getting away, even if we are still social distancing and limiting our out-of-home activities. We are going to bring our own linens (sheets, towels, pillows) and lots of Clorox wipes.

Have a great sober day everyone.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Awesome job with 80 days Sober! I am running just behind you. 🙂
Old 06-25-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
Hey WL, sorry to hear you're sick. Whatever it is, I hope it passes soon. Definitely rest always helps, so if you sleep in your body probably needs it.

Same to you Karen- I hope whatever it is passes.

Hey citrus Day 2 is terrific! Welcome back.

I'm not doing well myself physically and I am so frustrated. I just need to vent. With me it is more injury- my achilles tendonitis. I just cannot do anything without a setback. Before the pandemic- I was lifting weights 3x a week. I could deadlift 105 lbs which isn't much for a guy but I was pretty pleased! I jogged two or three times a week about 5 km. I also once a week did a hill/stair routine where basically outdoors there was a staircase (100 steps) and a big hill and I would basically go up and down, stairs x5, hill x4.

Does all this sound crazy lol? Maybe but I LOVED it.

When the pandemic started my gym closed and weightlifting came to a crashing halt bc I don't have equipment. So I tried to focus on the cardio. Almost immediately my achilles tendon gave out, probably from overloading it with the activities above. So that was March....? Ever since I have tried to rest it and have been slowly able to walk maybe 2 km (I used to be able to walk 15km!) but as soon as I get around there it starts to hurt again.

So ok. It needs more rest. So I bought a bike bc it is less pressure on my the tendon. Well except the calf and tendon are closely related so somehow it has got my calf hurting today and now I can;t ride the bike without pain, and I can't really walk much.

I'm sooo frustrated. It's partly the mental health aspect like how do I ever get outside to get fresh air, I can;t walk, I can't ride my bike, I guess I can ride around transit?

Aaaargh! And so then I'm like well if I can;t freaking do anything or go anywhere I might as well drink. I think the only thing saving me is I don't really have anything here.

I'm sorry to unload, I'm just beyond frustrated and discouraged. My days are like- work at the computer, sit on my butt and watch tv, do a jigsaw puzzle. I walk two blocks to get groceries although today I don't think I should even do that.

The injury- it just needs rest rest rest and I've been trying and trying to take it easy but no matter what I just have a setback every 2 or 3 weeks.
So I feel really dumb for calling you Maria all of this time. Doh. s

How about taking a couple of chairs and a table outside, and a book, and sitting in the fresh air with your foot up drinking iced tea or mineral water and cranberry juice? Or something like that.

I have two painful injuries/issues and I can't exercise right now, but I really need to. So I just do ten minutes at a time in the garden, housework. Just getting my endorphins going as best as I can. ❤️
Old 06-25-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
Karen- yeah I didn't write that very well! I am a female- I meant to say like a guy would scoff at a 100 lb deadlift but I thought it pretty good for a girl! Or a 43 yr old woman, tbh lol.

I shouldn't stereotype I guess!

I shouldnt
AH HA.....now no one is confused.