Notices

Politics...again

Old 06-02-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Politics...again

A reminder that politics is off topic here, guys.

Let me try the personal cards on the table approach.

The likelihood is no matter what political position you espouse there’ll be someone here that disagrees with you.

One members lack of national leadership is another’s Antifa insurgents spreading fake news. One members horror at armed personnel on the streets is anothers welcome return to law and order.

I wish I was exaggerating but I'm really not. Perceptions are that divided.

Arguments ensue and I and the other staff are the guys who have to cleanup those arguments. Every hour we spend doing that is an hour less for posts to be responded to.

My heart is heavy. I get you guys are scared angry and fed up, but the rules here state recovery first.
No ones ‘censoring’ you. It’s all there in the rules we all agreed to, rules of many years standing.

2.Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

We need to be a united community here focusing on the similarities, not the differences.

You can go and vent your hearts out many many many places on the web but it’s damaging to the cohesion of the community to do it here.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 06-02-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee that SR should be focussed solely on recovery. I want to support everyone (here) whose intent it is to stop drinking. I'd hate it if I didn't reach out because my politics were different to another's. 😔 And this could happen in some instances.

I've been pulled up a couple of times for expressing my politics. I took umbrage at the time, but I was wrong.

What I do now is involve myself with political groups on FB where I can share my ideas without censor. And I understand the censor to be correct now.

Please stay safe my american friends. Am so concerned for you all.

Sober concern. ❤️
Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just to add...I'm not trying to stop people talking about their feelings.

I don;t think anyone could reasonably find fault with a statement like 'I am really worried about the state of the world right now' but a statement like

'I am really worried about the state of the world right now..I blame that Trump/Biden/Cuomo/DiBlasio/Scott Morrison/Boris Johnson' is a political statement that others will disagree with.

I'm trying not to edit posts or remove anything...but I've have to in some cases.

Your help in this will make that unnecessary in future

D

Old 06-04-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been pretty generous with this rule so far not removing posts, PMing people instead, and only editing one.
I thought that was fair with what is a new emphasis on an old rule.

The honeymoon period is over tho and as from today I think its fair that staff remove posts that we feel break this rule and ask for a resub where appropriate.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 06-06-2020, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've decided that these threads (there are 3 in total) have outlived their usefulness.
It was an attempt to give everyone a voice on this and I thank everyone who contributed.

This thread was great and I thank you guys.
Anyone who really wants to say anything else can PM me or one of the other mods.

D