good one FBL
Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Star, that is awful, I am so sorry s

And congrats from me too dear FBL. xxxx
Old 06-04-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sorry to hear that Star, hope the power comes back online soon.

FBL good number!
Old 06-04-2020, 06:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Star,
Sorry you had one go over. That's a PITA any time. I hope you've a good chainsaw. Are you cutting up the tree? City covering it? Or hiring it out? I've had to cut up some big Oak and Sweet Gum on the place just sold last year. Be careful bud. Fortunately we don't drink anymore. I used to trim my trees with a wobbly ladder, my chainsaw, and at least a few beers under my belt. I'm amazed in hindsight that everything's still attached and present after doing that so much. I hope your stores don't lose too much, but take care of their people.

Congrats FBL!

Old 06-04-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Went a bit funny for a while
I went a bit funny in 1980 Mags - still there

Glad it's going ok tho

D
Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Dee, you crack me up!

Itchy, I imagine we put ourselves in danger when we drank, thinking we could do anything. One of the things Booze gave me was false wings.

Have a good weekend my friends. Looks like it’s a wet one over here. Be safe xxxx
Old 06-04-2020, 11:02 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Nice work FBL
Coffee please
Old 06-05-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Mags, wet one here, too.

SG, so sorry

Have a happy POETS Day.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on the big 4,000 FBL!
My brother in law and I chainsawed the tree in chipper size chunks, though we likely won't be able to find anyone for awhile with all the trees and wires down here. Our township no longer permits open burning as we suburbanized, so I covertly burn occasionally, usually holidays when everyone is grilling, but it's a slow process. Tending a fire for hours was always an excuse to drink beers all day. I can always add to my overgrowing wood pile in the back of my property.

Finally got power back on in the store and opened up for five hours yesterday. Got a lot of food picked up by food banks that hopefully could find recipients whom could use thawing food immediately. We still filled a large dumpster with unsalvageable product.

Be safe all!
Old 06-05-2020, 11:50 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good news about the power Star! Great news on food banks being able to use a lot of the thawing food.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:21 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey Overs!
Mags,
I hear ya, we were acting like we were going to live forever. And that was greased by the ethanol fueling it.

They keep forecasting rain here and it doesn't. Since last year I've only seen a real hard rain maybe twice and short lived.

Peaceful protests here last night and at 10PM when the curfew went into effect, the crowds disbursed peacefully.

Now if we could only rig it so there is no second wave of COVID 19, and cows stop passing gas!
Old 06-05-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.
I think you'll have more luck with the cows.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Itchy, eating grass does that! Apparently

Miserable weather here but it’s ok, nice and dry indoors. I’ve just put food out for the birds, they’re keeping low as it’s quite windy out there.

Hope the weekend is going well so far for you, my friends. Be safe. xxxx
Old 06-06-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs.

it’s a bit hazy right now but the sun is out

As I post here every day I am reminded of how grateful I am to be here instead of hung over. I hope I never take the gift of this fellowship for granted.

Have a lovely day, my friends!
Old 06-06-2020, 03:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Star,

Pollen is an issue here. https://weather.com/en-CA/forecast/a...5a2b627b4f86f9

But this is not Arid-zona! We are known for forests and mountain streams.

“Colorado’s nearly 24.5 million acres of forested landscape are perhaps the most complex of any in the Intermountain West, with a diverse mix of coniferous and deciduous species. The most extensive forest types in Colorado are spruce-fir, ponderosa pine, lodgepole pine, aspen and piñon-juniper.

This vegetative mosaic is a physical landscape that ranges from flat plains and high plateaus to steep mountains, deep canyons and sloping foothills. A wide range of topographical, soil and growing conditions further influence this variety and contribute to the state’s multi-faceted forest resources.” Source: https://csfs.colostate.edu/colorado-forests/

Runoff from mountain snow pack is where all of Colorado Springs’ water comes from except this tiny area I live in which is still not incorporated into the city. Our sales taxes are half of what they are just a few blocks closer to the mountains. Our water is well water. My subdivision is the last on the front range and to the East are the great plains. To the West the wall of mountains we are right up against in the foothills of the Rocky Mountain’s front-range.

Good to hear much was salvageable for food banks. You’re in the big city, lots of folks in need in every big city. Don’t let your guard down because the ignorant are running around with no masks which are really just protection for others. Think about that.

PJ,

I return my best wishes for you and yours. We’ll get through this too.

Mags,

I had to do major tree work every year for several weeks on my last place. Drinking the whole time and got used to it. I was still very careful. More people with full size tractors get killed being run over by their own tractors, or flip them over with no roll cage or roll protection on the older ones. I never tried to pull a stump or anything else that might cause a wheelie and over without attaching my Big scoop which then acts like a wheelie bar and keeps it from going over. Many drunks on tractors.

Mags,

1980 was my last of three years here in Colorado the first time 1978-1981. That was long before I had a problem with drinking. I went a bit funny the whole three years. We had matching 1975 Norton 850 Commandos we rode the mountain “swoop-dee-doo” roads, climbed rocks and jumped cracks with 500 foot falls below and on both sides. But I went for glider rides and left before I could do the free fall jump training. Most military train with static lines, save SpecOps. Today I would decline jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

Star,

Good job. Man I do miss my burn pile where I could burn as needed year round save for fire no burn days. I had so much to burn every year that my burn pile ashes got three feet deep. Once I had the full size tractor it made short work of that with the bucket.
There were three pics but I'll post the other two in subsequent posts. This was the last load and done. I filled holes in my trail and woods with the ashes turned soil.

Glad you salvaged a lot of the food for the needy. BTW, I am unapologetically political these days but not on here.

Feel free to engage and rant on my FB page. As you know my friends are limited to ones I trust to take it with a grain of salt or agree anyway. But not here.

My website goes away next month and I have to rebuild it on GoDaddy where I have my domain name registered. I paid for three years website hosting 18 Months ago. I better get to it or give it up. It has been locked for three years as the old websites on Earthlink were free, and they locked them to encourage us to leave. I’ve had mine since 2000 in the dial up days. I used to feel I was helping but now, like here, I am backing down from my public presence unless I decide to commercialize it. I haven’t had as much ambition to write or do songs in a long time. Maybe living here? I have got to get out in the mountains.

Andy,

I agree on the more luck with the cows.

Mags,

Grass doing that? Who’d a thunk??

Sassy,

Agreed re: fellowship here. Rain threatens here today, but as usual Mother Nature is a just a sprinkling tease.

I’m going to wait a bit to go touring as I have stuff to finish here. But more to the point the mountains create their own weather in little pockets as much as storms covering all. I think we are done with snow down at my altitude for the season. I’ve seen a foot of hail in mid-August with a week of temps below 65. And 75 degrees in January. And 10 below in season too. It’s a blah day and I’m running with it.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I did keep the place neat and trimmed. Here is one of many bonfires we had.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Re-Member

This is a full bucket. They can be as mine is facing backwards and I have to back into a pile. It can be turned forward but then I pack down the pile from the front tires when they go over the pile. The Bonfire is six feet wide at the base and was 8 feet tall when I lit it. The bonfire pic is from about 50 feet away. The bucket has a rope from it's release lever to the driver, me. When I dump a load I do by positioning then pulling the rope which unhooks the bucket which swings down from the load weight, then swings back with enough force to latch it ready for the next load.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:17 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Itchy with his wind free cows started me thinking of impossible things like:
Herding cats.
Knitting fog.

or useless things like:
A chocolate fire guard.
A chocolate teapot.

Anyone got any more?

Old 06-07-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Itchy, Colardo is 24.5 million acres ! WOW! That’s big! Certainly some clean air there!

Sassy, you won’t ever take it all for granted. I’m sure of this.

Have a good Sunday and be safe, my friends. xxxx