Notices

One Year & Over Part 75

Old 06-26-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Sassy, I too have memory problems. I once read a study that said as people get older their short term memory fails some but more importantly, they just stop paying strict attention to everything. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I can't take a lot of credit for the orchids other than persistance. Over the years I have killed many. What are left are the ones that survived in the conditions I can provide. Sort of a Darwin collection. I do enjoy them though. And the box is mostly having the right tools and home made jigs and just being careful. It is a lot of fun and I'm never short of gifts.

Yes, Ruthie for short. Her full name will be Ruthless Heart thRobber. I'm having a lot of fun picking out things I will need to bring her home from Tennessee. My latest is a carrier so I can bring her with me every where I go on the trip - even to the restroom.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

A change is a good as a holiday, or so my grab would say, FBL. Great you have new home.

Sass- I have memory hassles, I compensate with trying to establish routines- like always putting car keys in the same spot when I get hassles. Aging sucks.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Sass- I have memory problems, I comp.....
Old 06-26-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

dad humour
Old 06-26-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Charon, there’s some great carriers for our pets, love the one in the pic.

I’m listening to Oliver Twist on Alexa, free audible. They have different stories each month. I never seem to get to the end of any though.

Have a good weekend my friends, take care and please be safe. xxxx
Old 06-26-2020, 11:19 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.
Sass
Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:34 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sass, we got your back.

charon, I love the pet carrier, I've seen some dogs wheeled round in buggies! Just, no! My brother buys orchids for my mum, she puts them on her occasional table which we fondly call death row. As they near their final leafing, my brother rescues them, does something miraculous and returns them at a later date thriving happily. Where they then return to death row....

FBL I hope the move goes smoothly, it is always worth the hassle in the end.

Have a great Weekend all
Old 06-27-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Toots, love the cycle your brother and mum have going!

FBL, moving is often a hassle but in the longer run the memories of the hassles dim while the enjoyment stays.

You all manage to raise my spirits when I feel down-ish Have a good Saturday!
Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Morning.

Yep - keys. I make sure to hook mine on the first jeans loop on the left side. Once in a while I accidently hook them on the second loop. Then I'll spend hours looking for them.

Hopeing for some rain today. It's been dry for so long. Sprinkled a wee bit this morning. We need a lot more.

My son came over this morning and tuned the shifters and trued the front wheel on my mt. bike. He also tied the 40 foot ladder off to the tree at the top so I can safely go up and down. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry so I can run up, attach a block and tackle, and lower the barred owl nesting box and do a repair. Then I can hoist it up to the higher level and attach it to the tree. Then it will be set for this winter when they nest and breed.

My daughter(E) is going to stop over for a visit today. It will be good to see her. This CV-19 is driving me nuts. I'm sorely lacking hugs from my kids. They're afraid this old fogey wight catch it.

Messed up yesterday - the stop trim was never put on the doorway to my bedroom so all around the edge there is space that allows air exchange. Since I run a HEPA air filter continuously that's not the best idea. Yesterday I cut & installed quarter round and then looked at the other doors and realized my mistake. The stop trim is made from flat pieces. Ssssooooo - I went back out to the shop, made some flats and stained them. Today I'll put the poly finish on them, take down the quarter round, and tack up the correct stop trim. A lot of wasted work because I didn't look first. I know to measure twice and cut once. Now I need to make sure I know what I'm doing before I do it. LOL
Old 06-27-2020, 11:18 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.
What species of owl, Charon?
Old 06-28-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Andy, I think the Owl is Barred, not the box!! 🤣 just googled Barred Owl, beautiful!
Old 06-28-2020, 01:16 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Andy, toots, I was just going to ask Charon too! I’ve not heard of the Charred Owl, we have the barn and eagle owl round here, that I know of. They’re beautiful creatures though, I love to here them, hooting or screeching.

Sassy, I always love to see you here, I’m glad you felt more cheerier.xx I know the people on Overs and SR SR can lift me when I’m down. xx

Having beef for Sunday lunch. We usually stick to chicken but I’m in need of some iron.

Have a good Sunday my friends. xxxx

Old 06-28-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I didn't know you could make owl nests. What a great idea. With Covid restricting my movements over the past months, I have taken up backyard birding. It is fascinating seeing what birds come to my feeders, and their social order. I will likely try a hummingbird feeder in the coming weeks. My local Audubon chapter is literally two traffic lights away, so I think I will join up and try to learn more.

Getting ready for an early day at work.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 06-28-2020, 03:58 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I spent all day yesterday dealing with the move. First, I got my section of the warehouse set up (our vast library of books, etc.), then I sorted thru a bunch of stuff at the office (nearly filling a dumpster in the process), then I hauled some of my stuff to the new offices. Today will be more sorting thru the accumulated stuff of 28 years, then Monday will be moving all the desks and computers with the internet being hooked up in the early afternoon. Will be so glad when this is all over!

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

FBL, cleaning out is a chore but definitely worth it. I moved at least 26 times and therefore didn’t have any downsizing to do when I moved to the OFH

Charon, you sound quite spry!

SG, wonderful hobby. Can be practiced almost anywhere. We have a naturalist on the wait list who comes and takes a group on bird walks. Lots of enjoyment.

Mags, I always count on seeing you here

good morning, Andy!

good morning, Toots!

Itchy, are you spending all of your time driving your new Tesla???

Have a lovely day to all!

Old 06-28-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Andy, Toots - yep a barred owl. Sitting out in the fall a couple years ago I could hear it call. Very distinctive. "Who Cooks For You, Who Cooks For Youuuuuu". I even got it to answer me back. I figured out what owl it was, researched their habits, and came across a plan for a nesting box. So I decided to build one. Once I got it done I found out how heavy it was. OMGosh. I managed to push it up a tree on a ladder to about 15 feet and got it attached.

So, unfortunately Sassy, I'm not so spry anymore. Putting the 40 foot ladder up was more than I could do myself. To drop the nesting box for repair and get it up to 30 feet or so I will use a block and tackle. My son will have to untie the ladder and get it on the ground. Then he can have the ladder or I'll sell it off. Too heavy for me.to try to manage anymore.Don't like this getting old stuff so much. THough there are a few advantages - Like afternoon naps.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

FBL - wow! That was fast! Remember... at the end of this you get your OWN bathroom!!!!! (Which is honestly not something I cared about until having the little one and forgoing the luxury of using the potty by myself

(((((Sass))))) - I suffered from significant short term memory loss from 6 months sober to maybe a year and a half. There is a term for this, but of course I forget what it is called. Nevertheless it was frustrating, and I had to write everything down and use routines to manage. Like Dee said, we have your back!!!!

Charon - exciting news about your puppy!!!

Mags - Thx! I appreciate it.

Not much change here with early pregnancy, except steadily strengthening nausea. Last night the nausea woke me up and I clung to my pillow for a couple of hours. I suppose it’s a good reminder of what the horrible hangovers were once like and a disbelief that I used to do this to myself voluntarily!

My mom has another week of quarantine, and then she is going to take over making food, etc, which I am holding onto as light at the end of the tunnel.

In little K stories, she is learning to potty train (for months). We started to put stickers on the potty after she actually uses it (she has been hesitant to go in her favorite reading chair) and she really likes that. Too much. The night before she got me up 6 times during the night bc she wanted to sit on potty!!! We’ve now had to start putting potty to bed (tuck in potty under her own blanket, etc). I think it’s becoming her special luvy toy.... some kids have a stuffed animal for security, mine has a potty chair.

hope everyone has a good start to their week
Old 06-28-2020, 11:07 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Oops, I read barred as barrel. I've seen wooden barrels used for nest boxes for large species

Old 06-29-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I love your Baby K stories SE! I don't remember so much of my kid's youth because of my drinking and blackouts. I am glad that I did take a bunch of 8mm videos when the kids were small, and added a firewire adapter to my computer so that I could transfer everything while the tapes were still playable. When my youngest was born, we were still in the pre digital camera age, when it cost a dollar to get a picture developed, thus we took pictures more sparingly than I would have liked. We got a "magical" digital camera in time for our second. It's funny, my niece sends me about twenty pictures a day of her son's antics. He will grow up with a daily visual diary of his life, which is pretty awesome.

I think Itchy went out on a test drive with his new car. I believe he should be in Tennessee by now, lol!

Have a good day all!
Old 06-29-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

SE, sorry the sickness is persisting and yes it’s crazy that we caused hangover sickness voluntary to ourselves once.

Charon, sounds like a substantial owl box for the owls to nest. I’m sure they love it. Must be lovely to watch when the Owlets start flying.

FBL, you’ll be pleased when it’s Monday evening and everything is moved. Take care.

I enjoy watching the birds in the garden too. Over here I see goldfinch, greenfinch, sparrow, wren, Blue t*t, cold t*t, chaffinch, greater spotted woodpecker, swifts, pigeons, collared doves, house martins, blackbird(they’re very cheeky and brave), magpie, jays, starlings (noisy, chattery birds) robin (they’re cheeky too) owls, usually barn and eagle, sometimes we get the sparrow hawk. Also have visits from hedgehogs, squirrels, pheasants, and see an occasional fox.(They’re very shy though and don’t come into the open in the day, that I’ve seen). I can spend many hours watching the small animals that visit.

Have a safe and good Monday, my friends. xxxx