Notices

Class of May 2020 Part 4

Old 05-29-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to think that too - but my first year was an incredible journey. Don't wish it away FF

I didn't suddenly wake up one morning an all day everyday drinker, and I didn't suddenly become suffused with peace and wisdom once I stopped drinking either

it's a growth process going from one thing and becoming another.
Try and be patient man

D
Old 05-29-2020, 03:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

It's wonderful to see everyone's sober days adding up. You all are such an inspiration to me every day. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good morning, It is about 31 hours into sobriety for me. Making it thru the first day was an achievement for me! I have been drinking daily for months....Got to the point that I felt like I couldn't even feel the buzz anymore, a 12 pk of beer then a bottle of wine....Really?
I am disgusted with my self. I hated it when people would look at me funny when I was drinking beer after beer....Anyway, here I am. Only got 4 hrs sleep last night. No biggie. I will stay sober today and tomorrow and the day after and after that and after that. I hate being an addict. I am going to work out this morning, do a little shopping then have a health dinner late afternoon. I will be chatting with you all. Thanks for being here!
Old 05-29-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi Travel,

Good for you on choosing this path. I’ve found working out a great distraction for me and have been using exercise daily to help me through. I’m only 12 days in but concentrating on not picking up the first drink, exercise and posting in this group is working so far. The sleep is good for me now, I think day two and three were rough for sleep.

take care
Old 05-29-2020, 04:28 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I'm frustrated at how slow the days are going I wish I could snap my fingers and be a year sober

I'm so annoyed at myself for my relapses. If I got sober andwand stayed sober when I joined SR, I'd have four months now.

My siblings hate me. I wish I could already be at the point where I could tell them I'm a year sober.

Yes, the days are crawling by for me. I don't sleep much so I have to often find a way to fill 24 hours awake. My last relapse had me arrested and 3000 dollars poorer. I can barely remember any of it....

PS- my siblings aren't happy with me either.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome didit!

sorry to hear about your job loss listae. I think we all have had failures and loss from our drinking in one way or another. It is still hard though , you have my empathy

WL- great to see you around and still giving it a go.

I have quite a mountain of cans in my garage myself... I have to find a can/bottle deposit shop that is open still. (Most stores have suspended returns due to covid) At 5cents a can theres easily over $100. Not all mine and not all beer, lots of seltzer and diet soda, but still.quite a pile
Old 05-29-2020, 04:40 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Coz

Welcome travelbug.

Great that you have got through the first day and powering through day 2. Impressed that you have the energy to workout - I was pretty flat for the first week.

I look forward to hearing about your progress - please post often.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Welcome Didit!
Old 05-29-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

As many of you know, it is my last month of work at a job that I love. I was asked to turn in my keys, badge,

But I woke up much happier today (which would never have happened if I drank yesterday). It was tough not to drink yesterday but that is past now. Found a quote that is helping me remember what is to be gained in failure: "a lesson in humility." My chronic alcohol dependence or alcoholism (whatever you want to call it) made me feel invincible: I could never get sick or liver failure..."No, not me!" But, now in Day 4 of detox the rash on my liver (which I've had many times) is beginning to fade. Why do I have red spots and a rash on my liver? Why do I have itching and why do I cry when I stop drinking for a few days? There are scientific reasons and I am a human body that is susceptible to more disease, infection, cancer, and death if I binge drink every day. If I am not humble to the fact that I am never going to win over alcohol, then I will not just lose my job but fall ill and die at a time when the world is struggling just to breathe.

In twenty-years of trying to moderate, I've never succeeded; so, I better face the challenge of failure. As the reflection "The Challenge of Failure" is teaching me: "Through failure, we learn a lesson in humility, which is probably needed, painful though it is."
Old 05-29-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Good morning, It is about 31 hours into sobriety for me. Making it thru the first day was an achievement for me! I have been drinking daily for months....Got to the point that I felt like I couldn't even feel the buzz anymore, a 12 pk of beer then a bottle of wine....Really?
I am disgusted with my self. I hated it when people would look at me funny when I was drinking beer after beer....Anyway, here I am. Only got 4 hrs sleep last night. No biggie. I will stay sober today and tomorrow and the day after and after that and after that. I hate being an addict. I am going to work out this morning, do a little shopping then have a health dinner late afternoon. I will be chatting with you all. Thanks for being here!
Welcome back dear travelbug! ❤️
Old 05-29-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
As many of you know, it is my last month of work at a job that I love. I was asked to turn in my keys, badge,

But I woke up much happier today (which would never have happened if I drank yesterday). It was tough not to drink yesterday but that is past now. Found a quote that is helping me remember what is to be gained in failure: "a lesson in humility." My chronic alcohol dependence or alcoholism (whatever you want to call it) made me feel invincible: I could never get sick or liver failure..."No, not me!" But, now in Day 4 of detox the rash on my liver (which I've had many times) is beginning to fade. Why do I have red spots and a rash on my liver? Why do I have itching and why do I cry when I stop drinking for a few days? There are scientific reasons and I am a human body that is susceptible to more disease, infection, cancer, and death if I binge drink every day. If I am not humble to the fact that I am never going to win over alcohol, then I will not just lose my job but fall ill and die at a time when the world is struggling just to breathe.

In twenty-years of trying to moderate, I've never succeeded; so, I better face the challenge of failure. As the reflection "The Challenge of Failure" is teaching me: "Through failure, we learn a lesson in humility, which is probably needed, painful though it is."
I think you are remarkable......

You are saving yourself and sharing your journey in a way that is just so powerful....you are helping so many other people as you do this. s ❤️

And on a personal note, I hoped and prayed you would come back to SR.
Wish I could give you a hug in person. xx
Old 05-29-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Listae, I am also having health complications. I broke out with eczema rashes on my arms. It started out of nowhere last year. Started to flare up again 2 weeks ago. It's my body telling me 'enough is enough'. I will have to spend a fortune on cortisol cream for the next few weeks. This is going to be rough for us for a while. Early sobriety is not fun...
Old 05-29-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I hear you WL: I've been through it too many times. I went for a walk, drank water first thing in the morning, ate a healthy breakfast, and posted on SR. My mood has completely changed in 24 hours; cravings are less but I know they will come back. Four days ago, when deep in the depths of drinking, at this time I would be in bed with a terrible headache, lethargic, vomiting, and unable to wash even a glass much less myself. So, sending out good energy to all of you, my classmates, for hanging in there. We share a lot in common!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:33 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

oh I had a real dilemma this afternoon-major AV. It's Friday afternoon, child has gone away for the weekend, it's hot and sunny, it's perfect for wine. I was so tempted. Why is it that you do not think of the illness, pain, looking bad feeling bad etc but just think of how much you want wine. I went to the shop and bought cake ingredients and chocolate. I have made a cream sponge and had 3 slices. With water. Helluva lot of carbs, sugar and fat but I will wake up sober in the morning. The fear of failure and having to start again won despite REALLY wanting a drink. I do not want to start this again.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:49 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

What an awesome WIN dearest RAL!!!! s

I think cravings come into it love.....and every time you say no, as you did today, we start to know we can get past them. We can ride the wave.
Cos really, wine in the sun would be nice?
Don't you love the things our heads try to tell us? s ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Old 05-29-2020, 11:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Welcome Didit and Travelbug! I hope you're both having an easy start.
Listae, thanks for posting that! Very inspiring. I hope your rash heals fast.
I hope your eczema heals fast, too, WL. A friend who is plagued with it gave me a little bit of salve that her doctor gave her and it worked so well for me. I can try to find out what it was if you want.
My son is going to come over tonight for a birthday celebration. He lives alone and works mainly alone, so I am feeling like it will be fairly safe. I hope so. I just couldn't say no. I'm going to try and set up an area where we can sit in the same room and still not be too close. It's going to be storming, so outdoors is out.
Going to take a bit of a rest period to make sure I'm not too tired. Gatherings are always triggers for me, even if there's no drinking.
I'm thinking of you all and hoping this is an easy, good day for all of us.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you made it through that, RAL! I'll be eating chocolate cake tonight. I may try to be good and have a salad for dinner, though.
Hugs to you Venus! I hope your day is going good.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hope you have a lovely nap and a nice dinner with your son.

Today is a bit challenging as we have contractors building fences out back plus a gardening team that is making more noise than the thunderstorm that is about to hit. Oy. s ❤️
Old 05-29-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I keep losing the thread as it has moved to daily threads!!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

You can subscribe to it love....up the top under thread tools.... s xx