Notices

Class of March 2020 Part 5

Old 05-27-2020, 10:10 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
Thanks everyone. Going to try get some sleep and will feel better tomorrow. Maybe if i hadn't drank for so long to cope with life i would of dealt with all of these feelings b4 now. I'm on waiting list for a type of cbt so hopefully that will help too. I just hate days like this where i feel trapped in my own head.

Hey Tink,
Hope you are feeling a bit better today, I think it can be overwelming to be suddenky confronting unsettling memories with a clear head, hopefully CBT will help long term, but in the meantime be kind to yourself
Love Billy x
Old 05-28-2020, 12:04 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Morning Billy, hope you're good this morning.

Hows things Tink, feeling any better today?

Beautiful morning, suns out strongly already
Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Morning everyone hope your all well.

Yes i feel bit better thanks, going to do my weekly visit to my mam and dads always feel better once its over. Lockdown has been such a help for me in that before it was expected i called every other day, since my dad had his stroke. It was too much. Especially as my mam can go off at me whenever i dont do as she likes and tell my how useless i am, selfish, ungrateful, caused my dads stroke etc etc then expects things to be back to normal. All she goes on about know is wanting to go on holiday, which she can't do without me going. Last time i went on holiday with them it was just another thing to be thrown in my face as to how ungrateful i am everytime she decides to go off at me. So the last thing i want is to go away again. Yet my brother can just do what he likes as she told me he has his own life, she obviously dosnt think i do.
anyway im going to keep visits to once a week even after lockdown, otherwise its a massive risk to staying sober as she is a huge trigger for me. I feel guilty as i know alot of people would love to have thier mother but i can't help how she made me feel all these years.

Sorry For the rant. I will check in once I'm back home
Old 05-28-2020, 12:38 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Yes do check back in.

Its really easy for me to say but.... it sounds like your mum has her own demons. My mum is not a very nice character a lot of the time, doesn't sound as bad as yours but not in any way 'nurturing', not now and not when I was a kid. It's really helped me to understand she is probably mentally ill...

(let me stop myself here and allow myself to laugh at that last sentence, and also my arrogance in diagnosing her hahahahahahahahha)

...whether that be depression or something else. She really is very negative and I have to work hard not to hate her. Its a 'distance' thing (that those of us who were not nurtured as children find really hard, annoyingly) - her feelings and moods have no reflection on me or my worth. That's really hard to believe as deep down I'm still a kid who needs his mothers love and approval, but I'm working on it.

I think you'd be wise to limit your time with her. Could you summon the strength to tell her you'll limit it even more because of the way she makes you feel? Without stressing yourself out unduly? It may be impossible but it may also be very satisfying to put those boundaries down?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Im hoping if i just try to distance myself by keeping to weekly visits after lockdown, it will get easier. I will have to say something if she keeps talking about holiday though as i just don't want to go. Since lockdown she has took to ringing me everyday even though there is nothing to say which is bad enough. It's hard as im starting to see where alot of my issues came from.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Back from my visit, went ok, feel better now. Going to enjoy a walk in sunshine now.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Yes i feel bit better thanks, going to do my weekly visit to my mam and dads always feel better once its over. Lockdown has been such a help for me in that before it was expected i called every other day, since my dad had his stroke. It was too much. Especially as my mam can go off at me whenever i dont do as she likes and tell my how useless i am, selfish, ungrateful, caused my dads stroke etc etc then expects things to be back to normal. All she goes on about know is wanting to go on holiday, which she can't do without me going. Last time i went on holiday with them it was just another thing to be thrown in my face as to how ungrateful i am everytime she decides to go off at me. So the last thing i want is to go away again. Yet my brother can just do what he likes as she told me he has his own life, she obviously dosnt think i do.
anyway im going to keep visits to once a week even after lockdown, otherwise its a massive risk to staying sober as she is a huge trigger for me. I feel guilty as i know alot of people would love to have thier mother but i can't help how she made me feel all these years.

Just read that you are back home.....yay!!!!

And I am super-glad that you are going to keep the visits weekly from here on in.
I really wish your mum was nicer to you. s

Enjoy your walk love. ❤️
Old 05-28-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Sigh, I don't understand parents who are not loving to their children.

I love you guys to the max.....just saying.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Thanks venus. I think she just mixed up love with control and cared more about how she wanted to appear to others. I guess i learnt how i didn't want to be as a parent. So have a close relationship with my son.
Pleased to be sober as even though the tough days still happen they pass much quicker. Drinking just led to a week long pity party. Sober you feel rubbish deal with it then its a new day and you move on.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Sober you feel rubbish deal with it then its a new day and you move on.

May I please borrow this for the 24-hour thread?

xx ❤️❤️
Old 05-28-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Wow, that was my mom to a tee. She was more concerned with how she was viewed and never really showed love or affection. Both my parents were control freaks and you could never do anything right. Tink, I think you have just helped me find the core of my issues as well. I made a conscious effort to be the opposite of how I was raised. I don’t think I ever heard the word love from my Mom.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I am so sorry dear Bil. s

My parents were radical control freaks and my mum was all sorts of over the top (like moi) but the love came in huge loads and was unconditional.....and believe you me, I gave my parents many reasons to want to kill me just about.

You are all such lovey people.....kind and caring and smart.....and all despite having mums who perhaps could have done way better.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Old 05-28-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

May I please borrow this for the 24-hour thread?

xx ❤️❤️
Of course x
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Wow, that was my mom to a tee. She was more concerned with how she was viewed and never really showed love or affection. Both my parents were control freaks and you could never do anything right. Tink, I think you have just helped me find the core of my issues as well. I made a conscious effort to be the opposite of how I was raised. I don’t think I ever heard the word love from my Mom.
Sorry you went through that to Bil, but its good to have people who understand. I really have only just realized how much it all affected me.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I think it there is a different dynamic between mothers and daughters than there is mothers and sons. There is a saying that goes something like this. Mothers have sons until they find a wife, but they have daughters for life. The life part can be good or bad. My sister had a very love/hate relationship with my mom. They were like trying to put fire out with gasoline at some times. I became more distant from my parents when I moved away and had kids. I even asked to be taken out of their will because I didn’t want to deal with the hassle that money provides. It is good to talk about these things here as I haven’t thought about these things in a long time.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Evening all. Interesting discussion thread.

Ive made peace with my parents and their behaviour towards me (I think they've done the same for me). We haven't had a big heart to heart, we've just mellowed into it over the years. But the hidden damage is coming out in my therapy sessions...it's such a cliche but it's true, all we really ever want is to be loved by our mums, and then we strive to find that security as adults. I found false security at the bottom of a pint glass for too long

I do hope you sleep well Tink and if it's possible distance your own self worth from the dysfunctional behaviour of others...and Bilr have a great rest of the day...and Billy M don't work too hard!

And Venus, thanks for all your support and oversight as always

Good night

Old 05-28-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Yeah Bil sounds very similar, i have a brother too and always thought he was treated differently but they were probs as hard on him really i think it's just he is alot better at distancing himself than me. I need to learn to be more self confident i guess.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Evening all. Interesting discussion thread.

Ive made peace with my parents and their behaviour towards me (I think they've done the same for me). We haven't had a big heart to heart, we've just mellowed into it over the years. But the hidden damage is coming out in my therapy sessions...it's such a cliche but it's true, all we really ever want is to be loved by our mums, and then we strive to find that security as adults. I found false security at the bottom of a pint glass for too long

I do hope you sleep well Tink and if it's possible distance your own self worth from the dysfunctional behaviour of others...and Bilr have a great rest of the day...and Billy M don't work too hard!

And Venus, thanks for all your support and oversight as always

Good night
Thanks Be, yes i feel so much calmer and settled now, so will sleep well tonight. Hope you do to.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Morning all. A lovely sleep, I'm napping in the day time at the moment but it doesn't matter , slept 10-7 last night. That's a really long time for me and it feels great!

Not much in way of plans for today, my youngest goes back to school on Monday (two days a week) so in a way it's the end of what had been a bizarre period in my life
Old 05-29-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Sorry for replying late to this, work as usual! I'd have to agree with Be that it sounds as though your Mum has stuff going on which causes her to behave towards you the way that she does. I think it's so important though to try and remember that her actions towards you are more reflective of her as a person and not you - it sounds as though you are the very opposite of the way she makes you feel - please try and believe this. If you can limit contact that might be helpful and even better if you can have a conversation about it (although I completely understand that confronting these sorts of issues - particularly involving family, is easier said than done) . You have enormous amount of worth and you deserve to feel it
Love Billy x