Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 7

Old 05-19-2020, 02:53 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Up a bit early. When I was still drinking, I would likely have been going back to bed at 5 am instead of putting on coffee.

A day of miscellaneous office work, which means the temptation to frequently check SR, and that mild depression will set in from lack of outside activity. Maybe a driveway walk or ATV ride at lunch time.

Would be great to hear from daisybelle7, willow, and anyone else who hasn't checked in for a while.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Morning all

Just had one of those moments when a degree of enlightenment comes from unexpected places. It's Mental Health Awareness Week here in the UK, and as a part of this the radio station I listen to are discussing (briefly) various topics. This morning they discussed "Hedonistic Adaptation". This is something I have been thinking about over the past few weeks, although I didn't know it had a name.

I've been a little troubled about the fact that despite being in a far better place than I've been in for years, I still find things to get me down. Good to know this is completely normal! But taking it a step further, I have realised that I do not think a lot about when I used to drink. I have blocked it out.

I understand why - I'm still not doing a good job of forgiving myself for all those wasted years. But I'm now thinking that I cannot be as grateful for being sober as I should be, without remembering those dark times.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi all
Thank you for posting that Norway national day, Lixie. Great to see.

Good to read a Fish post. Great to hear you are doing well. Try not too get too stressed out by all the work. Easier said than done, I know. When I get in the dumps about my own work, I remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to work through this period.

Abraxas, I think you are doing great and seem to be making real progress. Inspiring me. Setting my alarm on going straight out for a run is on my list. This week I will try to do that also. Currently, I seem to be slowly waking myself and guilting myself into getting dressed and going. You have a better, positive way. All small steps and good decisions.

Cityboy, i am sure you will find yourself after a jog outside. That is my goal anyway.

I am doing OK this morning. Waiting for my motivation to hit and pull myself out of a bit of a morning funk.There are new work challenges this week that I have yet to dig in to and mentally take on. I will do though. Maybe after another coffee.

Have a happy, safe, sober and motivated week classmates

dlb

Old 05-19-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks dlb, really really appreciated. It's only been two days with the alarm idea, but it's really helped. Another home/diy workout completed this morning. It's quite a learning process finding alternatives to the usual gym equipment, but part of the fun too I'm finding.

The rest of my day has been pretty mundane. Busy. But mundane. But that's just fine, for today at least

Right, off to watch a movie in a bit. Have watched a few lately. It's nice to (a) be able to follow the plot, (b) not fall asleep half way through, and (c) actually remember it the next day

Have a happy, safe and sober day/evening everyone.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi all, is it too late to join the Class of January 2020? I've been sober since January 15th and would love to join to see how others are doing at this stage. My thoughts about drinking are starting to go away, that makes me real happy! Things have been relatively good so far, I'm very happy to have made it this far.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sunflower1964

D
Old 05-19-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi everybody!

It's been a while...

I've been busy but good. It's great catching up on the posts and seeing everyone.

Fish, it's good to read from you. I'm glad that you're doing well. I hope you achieve some comfortable level of work-life balance eventually. Work related stress is very draining!

jr; how did you get on with the new planting and the fence? It's good to see that you have tried to keep on with meditating. I don't do it as much as I'd like to... Good luck with fully incorporating it into your daily life.

abraxas, I hope you're having a great time with your son... I hope, also, that you continue to feel motivated given your intentional early mornings.

CB, thanks for the lighthouse (and your handsome son, of course) picture. It was lovely to read that bit of your family history. Do it keep it coming.

I just noticed that I'm still on page 2, so I'm not yet done catching up with posts. I'll do that now and then get back to sleep, as it's 4am here (I usualIy do these very early morning wake ups and check ins).

I'll write more later.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sunflower, and we are happy to have you join us. Congrats on your continued sober journey. We look forward to sharing more with you.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I agree with dlb, abraxas, that it's very inspiring to read about your journey. The self revelations that you're making are similar to what is happening for me and, as you know, they are very freeing. I don't know what hedonistic adaptation is.... I'll read up on that. I can relate to the not forgiving oneself and I am slowly working on that.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

All the talk of working out is getting me in the mood to try and make more of an effort myself. dlb, it's good to see you really getting into a good exercise routine. Keep it up. You too, abraxas, and everyone else.

Later...
Old 05-19-2020, 07:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

It's great to have you joining us sunflower, and good to hear that your thoughts of drinking are going away.

Abraxas, I had to Google that term. I have noticed that exact behavior in people a lot. It has helped me tremendously to open up here about the dark times. I'll never forgive myself for some things, but I am certainly thankful for being sober.

I just find it very hard to get motivated to workout at home. I can walk/jog the driveway or do as couple of excercises with the dumbbells, but very difficult to establish a routine. I guess going to the gym is a mental thing.

Morning buttermarsh.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Welcome sunflower!
We share the same sober date

Abraxas I was having the same thoughts yesterday about how great my life is right now but how I can always seem to focus on the one little, almost always, insignificant thing that can bring me down. The brain is a strange, cruel machine sometimes
Old 05-20-2020, 04:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates

Welcome Sunflower.
It is so nice to have someone else join our class. I admire that you have been able to get this far without a peer group to help your journey. It is a real accomplishment making it this far. The Jan 20 class are all super nice. Many of us, myself included, wrestle with our alcoholic voices at times. Often, dealing with life sober is the new challenge to figure out. You have come to the right place.

Abraxas, I didn't make it out to have exercise yesterday but will try today. Who knew this would turn into such a challenge to get motivated for. I agree about being able to follow movies now. For me, also being able to read at night before I fall asleep. Then picking up the book (kindle) the next night is a new found joy again. Morning alarms are next on the list !

Butters, Fish, Venus and Cityboy, great to hear from you.

Yesterday was a bit of a challenge but today is a new day.

Have a sober, healthy and happy one all

dlb

Old 05-20-2020, 05:56 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Making to-do lists, is next on my to-do... That and writing down a plan for the week.

dlb, I wish you a super, happy day today. Everyone else too, of course.

It's cold and rainy here today but I like it. The summer heat is around the corner and I don't particularly look forward to those extremes.

Aaaah, watching movies and reading books and actually remembering them. What a joy, huh? I am experiencing this too; it seems small but it really shows us the extent to which alcohol robbed us of our lives.

Anyway, I hope to check in again later.

I miss me some Willow, though....
Old 05-20-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I'm worried about Willow.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Me too Butter and Lixie. ❤️
Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Yes, I miss Willow as well, and Daisybelle7, and sobermafia, and all others we haven't heard from lately. Hope they are doing well.

Slow getting started this morning. Need to reinstall some software, which I have been dreading. May have to upgrade, which I have been dreading as well.

"Hedonistic Adaptation" - I have noticed over the years with customers that not all, but most people, tend to focus on the negative aspect of a project. Ninety-eight percent of a project can surpass expectations, result in lower cost (or more net income) for the customer, but nearly always they are going to focus their energy on that 2% that perhaps did not turn out the way they had envisioned. Human nature eh?

We have continued to get frontal passages here, but very soon it will be lows in the mid 70s highs in the mid 90s, no wind and high humidity. Makes me sweat to think about it.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

You too dear CB.....love the flowers.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, great reading all of your posts!

Didn't feel so motivated this morning to exercise (woke up at 5 and never got back to sleep), but managed to get started. Ended up doing 45 mins or so spread out over 90 minutes. Got easily distracted along the way! .

I finally got my coffee machine up and running today. Fixing the initial problem was the easy bit. Troubleshooting and fixing first the electrical problems (short circuit) and leak (replacement gasket needed) took a bit more work. Nothing quite like poking around an enclosed space with 250 volts of electricity with water in close proximity to get the adrenaline going

I have rather foolishly been making sure it is producing good coffee this afternoon, so goodness knows what time I'll be falling asleep tonight.

Keep safe everyone, might be back later if sleep eludes me.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Well done love!!!! I have had two gaskets go and no way to fix them.