Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 7

Old 06-21-2020, 12:13 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Wow! What an amazing photo willow! Beautiful.

A quick check-in from me today - it's Father's Day here in the UK today. Mixed emotions as it will be the first time my two eldest sons haven't been with me (thanks to coronavirus), but also my first sober one. Ever! Gosh, hadn't realised that until now. Anyway, I get to spend the day with my youngest - I'm looking forward to spending the day in the moment with him, rather than wondering when an appropriate time to start drinking would be. Steak for dinner. And triple-cooked chips - such a faff but so worth it!

Also going to appreciate the temperate weather today - a heatwave is due later in the week with temperatures forecast to exceed 30 degrees. Yuck.

Have a great Sunday everyone, take care :-)
Old 06-21-2020, 07:52 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Thanks Abraxus

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads. Ours isn’t until September
Old 06-22-2020, 03:45 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi classmates

It was a busy work weekend and i am almost through it now. I should be good by lunchtime.

CB and Venus, the allergies have bothered me less this year but I do get them.I am sorry to hear about the infection, Venus . I hope it clears up soon.
Lovely pic Willow.
Abraxas, that sounds like a perfect dinner. I bet your youngest enjoyed having a more present and attentive Dad. Steak and Triple cooked chips ?
I could imagine a zap in the microwave, saute in a pan and an oven roast ?
I roast vegetables and have found that a 1 minute microwave zap beforehand dramatically reduced the roasting time and makes the insides more fluffy. My wife mentioned that some chefs do that also. It might be the steam/water inside or the hot oil around the vegetables. I have no clue.

A busy day ahead. I am trying not to stress out and do a step at a time. And hopefully a jog, if I am lucky.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day all

dlb

Old 06-22-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Great catching up on everyone's posts.

My phone seems to be stuck in a loop again, so downloading pictures onto computer and will give it a factory reboot later.

Beautiful beach picture Willow.

Steak and triple cooked chips sounds great.

Attaching some pictures from the weekend. Daily itinerary on trip included coffee and breakfast, then going out in the boats to snorkel until getting our limit in scallops, heading to sand bar for a couple of hours, then back to rental house to clean scallops, get cleaned up, and move everyone to downstairs deck to get party cranked up again and eat things as they come off the grill or out of the fryer.

1. People snorkeling and gathering scallops.

2. Niece's boyfriend with his bag of scallops.

3. My motley little crew having party at the sand bar.

From the moment that we had our limit of scallops each day, my buddy's wife and I were the only adults not drinking. It was beer and hard seltzers on the boat, then later at the house many moved on to white wine and whiskey drinks. Traditionally, I would have tried to manage my drinking until we got back to the house, which is to say that I would have limited myself to 3 or 4, then drank enough at the house to fill a kiddie pool. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it pretty hard a couple of times. I think that by not having any residual alcohol in my system whatsoever, I was in a much better position to rationalize through it. Thinking about you guys helped a lot also. But I'm telling you guys right now, if I could get through this trip without drinking at all, anyone here can get through anything!
Old 06-22-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Well done Cityboy! You’re rocking it sober! That would’ve been quite the challenge I’m sure! Well done on sticking to your sober life, you’re really developing your sober muscles. I’m so proud of you!
Great pics too. Looks like perfect weather for the trip
Now I’m dreaming about scallops in garlic butter.... Yum!

Dlb I like to zap my veggies before roasting them too, especially if I’m in a hurry. It definitely reduces cooking time I hope you’re less stressed today. One step at a time is good. Mindfulness about the task right now helps me stay focussed and reduce anxiety about what’s yet to do.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Well done CB. Thank you for posting those pics.
I hope you weren't so preoccupied with AV battles to not enjoy the trip. Having one other sober adult must have helped a lot. It looks like a fantastic trip. Fresh Scallops sound fantastic.

I am guessing, Willow, that you are surrounded by amazing seafood. Whenever Australian cooking shows come on TV in North America, I am always shocked how amazing the produce looks. Especially seafood.

Staying on the theme of food, I ordered Mexican food (taco's) for the first time since lock-down. They blew my mind. I had forgotten the favours.
I am doing OK today. Just woke, getting started with coffee and thinking about my tasks to hit today. Jogging is 100% on the schedule.

dlb

Old 06-23-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

There were really just a couple of wrestling matches with the AV. I think that I had more fun on our trip without drinking. Recovery from all the activity and being in the sun will come faster as well. My buddy and I talked about it for the first time, which was good.

A couple of years ago there was a cooking show that a guy in NZ did that was really great and we started recording it. He was a retired chef and enjoyed fishing, so he would go out and catch a couple of fish, then prepare some gourmet dish with them in his outdoor kitchen which was on a trailer he pulled behind his truck. It apparently only lasted one season.

The first meal we had out was at a sushi place in town a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

A jog sounds nice. Still a little sore, but some outside excercise will be on the table tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hi classmates.

It's been over a week since my last check in, which is far too long. I've really missed everyone and it's been lovely catching up on the posts.

CB, the pictures look great; I'm really happy that you're having a wonderful time with your family and also successfully managing the AV.

Willow, thanks for the beautiful pictures too. Keep them coming...

dlb, I'm glad that your funk lifted... I think I've been in a mini funk this whole week. I've just been unmotivated and it ended up showing with increasing frustration at little things and a moment or two of having cravings. I hadn't had cravings in a long time and so that was a wake up call to reset myself.

Hugs, everyone.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Oh, and those triple cooked chips sound divine, abraxas. I am definitely going to make them soon.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:44 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone, and good night, Willow and Dee.

It's a lovely sunny day here, after having about two weeks of rainy, cloudy affair... I think we should expect the Summer heat by the weekend. Fair enough.

I just wanted to check in quickly and wish you all a lovely day.

butters...
Old 06-24-2020, 01:47 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Good night Butters
And everyone else too
Old 06-24-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Good morning all

I am doing well this morning. The jury is still out until I have my first coffee. I hope you are all well.
I am impressed that you were able to eat out, CB. I heard that the UK is almost at the point of having restaurants & cafe's open also. No news on that where I am, but I can't wait. Sitting in a restaurant and eating food, having a coffee or getting a proper haircut will be a relief but strange. I feel almost institutionalized.

Not too much to report. I am hoping for a slow day today after the last few weeks.

dlb

Old 06-24-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Chatted yesterday with a friend I haven't talked to since January. He congratulated me on having made a positive life change. That seems to be the pattern. Those who do not suffer from addiction are happy for me, while those that may be struggling with their own dependency seem to struggle with my decision to quit and have no interest in talking about it.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Good morning, classmates.

It's another hot, sunny day here. I managed to get in an early morning walk and I'm looking forward to another in the late afternoon, after the heat has lessened a bit.

CB, it's great that your friend was understanding and supportive. Quitting drinking, or any other addictive habit, is such an important and monumental point in anyone's life. It's possible that those who don't/can't grasp or appreciate it are, like you said, similarly struggling with their own habits, hurts and hangups.

Anyway, it's just a quick check in for me. Have a lovely day, everyone, and I hope to catch you all later.

xx.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates

That is so cool, CB.
I agree with you both, it is amazing the mixed reactions or indifference sometimes. You would assume that everyone is happy for you. For me, it is those closest to me who are the happiest. I don't talk about this stuff, except to you guys.

It is also hot and humid here this morning, BM. I have to get a jog in before it becomes impossible to run.
Work was stressful yesterday, but I did OK, not great. If it happens today, I hope to do my best with it. Not let all the injustice in the world knock me sideways as it so often does.

dlb

Old 06-25-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Morning all.

I've discussed it openly with very few people other than you guys as well. For some people, the change in my behavior would have to be obvious. I think four people have been positive and supportive, none of whom drink regularly in large amounts. A couple of friends have obviously noticed, and have been respectful but not openly supportive, I suspect because it brings their own drinking into question. One of whom was quick to point out that his uncle tried to quit recently and failed, as if showing early support for when I fail. He is a very good friend and I can't help but feel party responsible for his drinking habits from his working with me for years and watching me prioritize the daily beer stop after work. Others may or may not have noticed that have not seemed to acknowledge it at all, and I'm sure that people have plenty of things to be concerned about other than my drinking habits. I just feel responsible for myself at this point and hope that I can set a better example for those close to me.

Hot and humid here as well. Forecast is to be in the 90s (+/- 35 C) each day now with a 50% chance of afternoon storms, typical for a summer pattern. Miserable weather, and potentially dangerous.

Have a good day all.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

I have a friend who is really annoyed that I won’t drink with her anymore. It’s quite frustrating on both sides. I have popped in for a coffee a couple of times but she wants me to drink alcohol because that’s always what she’s drinking and it definitely puts a strain on things.
I haven’t really been open about things except here on SR.
My partner knows I’m not drinking and is supportive but he still drinks.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lost a lot of drinking buddies - but my real friends were scared for me and supported my choice not to drink anymore.

D
Old 06-25-2020, 08:14 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

When I think about it, I don’t really have any non drinking buddies.
I do know a few people who don’t drink much, but they’re not close friends. I think I need to cultivate new friendships that don’t revolve around drinking. Maybe in the health and exercise areas...