Notices

Class of May 2020 Part One

Old 05-02-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi dearest FF. s

I know you want to go back to school in the fall. I believe you can and will do this....maybe it's time to put a goal list up on the wall in your room....see the path to September. Then tick off the days that you are hitting your goals and watch them accumulate. s xx
Old 05-02-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I know how you feel silversky. It’s really overwhelming to think of all the work I have to do to get and stay sober. I am just going to take it an hour at a time for the first week. I don’t have much in the emotional tank to be making plans and big changes just yet. The next week is going to be about not drinking, not listening to the “what’s the point” narrative I have going on and not trying to fix everything at once.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

That is kind of perfect love. Really.....

Not trying to take on the world in early sobriety is kind of one of the keys to success. My first sponsor always said to me: Suze, all you need to do is not pick up a drink today. (She also said and go to a meeting, but atm that is kind of moot). And then she would say (she was 10+years sober) and I will do it with you. And that just made me feel empowered. I could do that.

Let's do it together. s
Old 05-02-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Well, it's almost dinner time in Canada -- thought I'd check in and say hello... and test out the signature again! Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and sober. Nothing new for me to report at the moment. I did fight off a "minor" craving earlier, but it wasn't one I could really act on since my drink (ie. poison) of choice isn't even in the house and it wasn't severe enough that I even thought about hopping in the car or anything like that. On the other hand, one of my doctors had told me this week to be careful with the word "craving" because it could just be a thought and everyone has thoughts. If it isn't debilitating then it may well have just been a thought and not a craving. His example made me laugh - you could be walking past a woman on the street and your brain tells you she's attractive. That's a thought. Just a thought. Then he looped back around and said thoughts are fine but don't let the AV turn thoughts into cravings. Make sense?!? Uhhhh kind of... well I'm going with it anyways since it struck something inside me that I don't need to beat myself up over having a thought like "Oh wow after that bike ride I could really use a ______." That was my thought today. Now that I've rambled. It was just a thought... I continued on about my day (but I did tell the AV to fork off just in case it was him trying to get to a craving level).
Old 05-02-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the group Tryharder
Old 05-02-2020, 06:18 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi all. My evening check-in, Day 4.

Got my 3 chores done. A little crabby about the weed situation but it did take my mind off other things for awhile. It was a nice day to be outside, lots of birds caught my attention.

I started reading the SR thread on "The Freedom Model for Addiction." Interesting and makes me want to read the book. Talks about how we are driven to choose behaviors that we think will bring us the most happiness (relative term). I didn't drink on my bday yesterday b/c I knew I would feel worse mentally and physically. I certainly considered it. Today I just focused on doing a few things that would make me feel better vs avoiding them.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:24 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

It has been a pretty chill Saturday here. About to turn it in for the night. Still sober. Got some chores done and got lazy for awhile too. Played with the kids. All in all a good day.

I talked to a couple sober friends today so that was good. I also had to turn down an offer for a beer. And it was one of my old favorites.

Sobriety wise I felt much more confident today. I'm truly believing that something has changed about how I view alcohol. It is just not appealing now. I think of a drink and all I can see are negatives. Cost, health issues, extra calories, behaviour problems, hangovers, bad sleep, hating myself, etc. etc.

Sure under the right circumstance I would get a short amount of enjoyment out of it. Nothing to offset the downsides though that's for sure. I have got to hold onto my sober time.

Sitting with 13 days.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Happy Birthday Silverski!
Old 05-02-2020, 08:14 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Goodnight everyone! Zzzz'ing in Canada, eh! Zzz...
Fallow / turning down a drink remains my biggest fear... not the turning it down part because i completely want to turn it down nicely... but it's the reactions i anticipate getting from say a best friend, or my father, or maybe a setting like a campfire or when people come by this summer to swim in the pool... ugh...
Old 05-02-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morning all, i have work this morn so just quick post x
good to see some new members x
i pledge not to pick up today, day 3 and save another £7
have good day if you can all xxx
Old 05-02-2020, 11:13 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry FF. Have you thought about AA?
It may not be entirely to your liking but the support is pretty much everywhere.
You need to start building some easily available easily instituted alternatives to drinking.

You need to start to believe that not drinking is not as agonising as you've convinced yourself it is.
Support will help you in both those things.

Drinking Listerine is not a long term solution FF - you know it, we all know it..

You're young now but those kinds of self destructive choices will make you old really fast.

D
I might give AA another go after the lockdown
The online meetings are too crowded nd intimidating for me to share in
I have been using smart recovery meetings. I wanted to buy their handbook but it doesn't ship to Ireland. I'm going to keep going to their meetings and learn about their tools though. They seem helpful and you can just type in their meetings which I find easier. Next meeting is tonight at 6:30pm I think

Anyways day 1 now. Fortunately don't have a hangover and just back from a 4km stroll (we can only walk 2km from our house in Ireland at the moment).
Old 05-02-2020, 11:42 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Can you message me the details for the SMART meetings FF? I did a couple a few years ago and quite liked them. Think I need to add somethings to my plan that will motivate me.

Happy belated Birthday Silversky!

Dig, I found in the past that the worry about what people would say about turning down a drink was a 100 times worst than the reality. Most people didn’t bat an eyelid or say a word. The only time anything was said was from a “friend” who needed a drinking buddy and didn’t want to drink alone as that might suggest they had a bit of an issue and they wanted a partner in crime. Apart from that no-one really cared what I was drinking.

Morning Erratic, I’ll pledge with you to not drink today and make this my last day 2.

It’s 7:30am, the birds are tweeting, looks like it might be a dry day and I know the right thing to do is go for a walk. I have no real motivation to do this, not one little bit. Regardless I am going to go for a walk this morning even if I hate every minute of it (which I doubt I will once I get going). I’ve done maybe 5 walks in 7 weeks, and then wonder why I am going stir crazy...

Have a happy sober day everybody!
Old 05-03-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

It is pouring here. The birds are sheltering under my plants, complaining that the food is wet.....I am not brave enough to go outside and add more for them. But since walking today is out of the question, this is my chance for some quick exercise.

Day 2 is wonderful Tryharder. s

Quick dash outside and back to read.....
Old 05-03-2020, 04:06 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tryharder2 View Post
Can you message me the details for the SMART meetings FF? I did a couple a few years ago and quite liked them. Think I need to add somethings to my plan that will motivate me.

Happy belated Birthday Silversky!

Dig, I found in the past that the worry about what people would say about turning down a drink was a 100 times worst than the reality. Most people didn’t bat an eyelid or say a word. The only time anything was said was from a “friend” who needed a drinking buddy and didn’t want to drink alone as that might suggest they had a bit of an issue and they wanted a partner in crime. Apart from that no-one really cared what I was drinking.

Morning Erratic, I’ll pledge with you to not drink today and make this my last day 2.

It’s 7:30am, the birds are tweeting, looks like it might be a dry day and I know the right thing to do is go for a walk. I have no real motivation to do this, not one little bit. Regardless I am going to go for a walk this morning even if I hate every minute of it (which I doubt I will once I get going). I’ve done maybe 5 walks in 7 weeks, and then wonder why I am going stir crazy...

Have a happy sober day everybody!
smartrecovery.org.uk/online-meetings/

I go to the UK meetings here. There's a schedule and a link to the meeting place.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:08 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Turning down the offer of a beer is wonderful Fallow. You said no thank you. You choose sobriety. You chose YOU!!! s xx
Old 05-03-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Happy belated Birthday Silversky! You gave yourself the best birthday gift of your whole life. I want to start walking more, too. I walk Charley but I'm scared of the loose dogs that are often in my neighborhood. So, we don't go far. I hope everyone has a fantastic day. Stay well and sober!
Old 05-03-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Morning dearest Karen. s
Old 05-03-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
I think of a drink and all I can see are negatives. Cost, health issues, extra calories, behaviour problems, hangovers, bad sleep, hating myself, etc. etc.

Sure under the right circumstance I would get a short amount of enjoyment out of it. Nothing to offset the downsides though that's for sure. I have got to hold onto my sober time.

Sitting with 13 days.
This says it all. I like the "sitting" progress too Fallow, almost 2 weeks for you!

Good to read the new posts. I've got my 3 chores picked out for the day, 2 outside and one inside. I take lots of breaks but I have all day for about 2.5 hours of "doing." The rest is me time or "sitting." It's another beautiful day. Sounds like we all are enjoying the birds right now.

May we all sit or squat or stand for sobriety on this May day.

Also: Deep breathing, more water, checking back here later.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Morning to all. No drinking for all today! Use all your tools. Find new tools. We can do this just one day at a time. And once you're off to a good start and you've assembled all the tools you need it will become easier. Let's roll! Have a great day, eh!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good morning and good afternoon, Venus! And everyone.I'm loving the birds today, too! Mine seem much louder than usual, but maybe that's just my imagination. This is such a beautiful time of year. I hope everyone's enjoying it. Stay well and sober and let us know how you're doing.