Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Notices

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Old 07-10-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Today was a decent work day - not incredibly productive, but I think I'm more or less on schedule with the thing. There were more starts and stops in this translation (i.e. more research needed), which slowed things down some.
Actually, I also got new work already for when this one is done. The next one will last me for more than a week (slightly more than 50 pages) - which will test my nerves, but if I manage, it'll be very good for the currently quite depleted wallet. A balancing act, like always

Not much else to report, actually, it's really been an okay day even if somewhat "plain vanilla". Now I'm going to ...spice it up with some chicken wings and potato salada. Dinner is always a treat.

End of Day 424. I did not drink today.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Good to hear you have more work lined up K.

Better day for me today. I did some 30 min of exercise with my Dad. It might just be old man exercise but at least it is something and it probably helps.

Pushed through working on some finance knots. It seems to be a crappy reality that when thing are tough the only thing to do is keep going no matter how bad it feels. My sister has been really good at calling to work on the finances with me which helps.

Also I had my Spanish tutoring session today. It keeps me motivated to keep reading my novel although I'm only up to page 49 of a 2000+ page book. Sometimes we just talk. I told her how as avalanche snow melts sometimes the snow is all green from all the pine needles in it. She talks about swimming in the ocean on the Mexican beaches.

Oh I almost forgot today is 1 year and 11 months of not drinking. Kind of amazing how times goes by. I don't think we ever quite get used to it.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Work went real slowly today, I have a headache now, and nothing prepped for dinner. I think I'm just going to go to sleep at this point. Or at least soon, because it's only 7pm atm.

​​​​​​Hoping tomorrow is better.

End of Day 425. I did not drink today.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Old 07-11-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Oh Kk, I'm sorry to read of your headache. Is there a way to prepare a light evening meal and drink some water, before retiring to bed?
Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I willed myself to the grocery store - mother required 'jam sugar' for the raspberries she got from a friend's garden and I wanted a wrap and possibly another quick bite. I got a caesar chicken wrap and then some marinated breaded pork strips (not sure if anyone's tried something like that but think "good schnitzel" that's then marinated and served as fancy snack at dinner parties). Now I took 2 ibuprofens, drank lots of water and am in bed.
i know this ache emanates from my eyes - my glasses snapped in half about a week ago and while I only need them for distance, I think I've glanced at the TV some and somehow put extra strain on the poor ol' eyes. So they need rest and I certainly dont need these headaches.

Thanks for the support bim and Tatsy - it means a lot
Old 07-11-2020, 04:40 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you get new glasses there at the moment kk1k?

D
Old 07-11-2020, 08:41 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Sigh . . . . coming to the end of another day. Not bad but lots of phone calls (not my favorite thing to do) as it is my Dad's birthday. He is 85 and well loved.

Nothing else really worthwhile to mention. Covid-19 numbers are creeping up in my state which compared to other states is great but compared to the rest of the world we aren't doing well.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Hi Dee
I ordered new glasses almost immediately, but from the UK. By ordering from there, I'll get to pairs of prescription glasses for 50£/55euros. Had I bought them from here it would have been 100 euros minimum for a single pair (not that I need two, but if the second is free...).
When buying something like that, my friends often insist I let UK sellers ship the items to them in the UK and then they'll ship it to me. It's a big money-saver but it just takes longer. I'm guessing - with everything still the way it is - I won't have new glasses for another 2 weeks at least.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Today was a lot better somehow. Work was still rought at certain spots, but it seemed move along faster, or perhaps I just had a clearer mind today and did more work within a shorter period of time. I completed this one at around 5pm, i.e. a full day ahead of schedule. It's also noteworthy (for me lol) that I didn't really work on Thursday, i.e. only about 1.5 pages, so I did more than 30 pages in three days. Perhaps that's why it seemed so ...slow. Anyways, the new work is already ready and waiting for me, I have 8 days for that.

No headache today and a couple of good meals. About 30 minutes ago I also received feedback on one of my manuscripts, and it was quite positive with minor changes required.
Well, our old fridge has given up and it seems for good this time - so we bought a new one today, it will be delivered in the next few days. It has a bigger freezer, so I can stock up on more meat-goodies when they're on sale

I'm in a better mood today, I'm satisfied on the work front, have more work to do, and I'll get an evening to myself even though it's quite late already. (I almost wanted to go back and edit my text to make it sound "less jolly" so as not to jinx ...tonight or tomorrow. Gotta take the risk, I guess :P)

Hope everyone had a decent Sunday.

End of Day 426. I did not drink today.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I wonder why glasses are cheaper here? I hope you get them soon kk. I should probably wear mine for TV these days but I generally only wear them for driving.

Last year I was lucky and got a really fancy fridge that was almost brand new for not much money off of my sister and brother-in-law who until that point owned a restaurant. The only drawback is that it is a "smart" fridge and a couple of weeks ago it demanded I perform an upgrade. I really resent being ordered around by by fridge.

Good luck withh your book Bekind, 2000 pages is a whopper. I think the longest book I have read is Lord of the Rings at 1000 pages.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KK - hope the new specs arrive soon

D
Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I really resent being ordered around by by fridge.
This made me laugh Saout. I remember when appliances didn't beep and the beeping still bugs me . . . .on a rare occasion it is useful but mostly I would rather inanimate objects keep their ideas/schedules/accomplishments to themselves.

I had another day where I managed to keep taking a few tiny licks at all projects.

My Dad and I started watching Hamilton and it really is something. I'm not hooked but it is good.

Dad took a long nap that left him completly confused. He thought it was morning not evening. I thought he was joking but he honestly was confused. He kept asking for coffee and wondered why I was setting out dinner for him. Sigh. I'm not sure how many years the old guy has left and moments like this remind me that he does have some dementia.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

All things considered, today was a semi-okay workday. I was still somewhat tired from yesterday's push, but at least I managed to do something today. Did 7 pages, which is what's required more or less, but today's pages weren't as 'full of text' as the ones coming up in the next few days. I'll just live and see.

No other news really. The new fridge will be delivered on Thursday and I got news that my new glasses were shipped out to my friends' place in the UK. Hopefully they get there in the next few days and my friends are swift with shipping them out to me. Although this occurred some days ago already, I guess I should mention that as of right now, my trip to Venice is still on. I booked a nice airbnb for a week (an entire apartment) on a smaller island (Giudecca) right next to the centre group. It's still somewhat awkward to fathom that a "boat stop" is a thing there hehe.

That's it for today.

End of Day 427. I did not drink today.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:29 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

New laptop for my Dad arrived today. It seems kind of silly as all he does is look at facebook. The new computer has no USB ports. Apparently usb ports are of the past. It also has a different charger . . . sigh. I spent 45 min on hold to find out the answer to my question was "no". Again sigh!

This evening we could see smoke from a fire flaring up in the mountains. Although is it is probably 70 miles away, the smoke was pretty dramatic. We then watched rain come in and douse it. It was kind of neat. The news was reporting on it but we could just watch . . . . I'm not sure if you all are interested but this is my life in all its teeny quotidian detail.

So another day. I didn't drink and didn't pass covid to anyone so I will call it a successful day.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure I like no USB ports - I'm still getting used to no floppy disks

D
Old 07-14-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good job on the new fridge kk. I stayed on one of the Lido islands when I visited Venice many years ago. It's the only way regular people can get to see the city.

It sounds like your dad bought an Apple, I must admit I would be nervous without at least one USB port.

I have started a Spanish novel myself although I am reading an English translation. It is The Labyrinth of the Spirits by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It might not be 2000 pages but at over 800 it is a fair size.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Ooo, ooo Saout, I think I had Shadow of the Wind on my book shelf and never read it. La Reina Del Sur is probably shorter than I said it was in a hard copy but I have it on my computer and choose larger print.

So far I'm having a good morning. My Dad doesn't owe any estimated taxes; we did 30 min of old man exercise and I talked to my brother about house projects. I feel productive which is one of the few positive emotions this depressive gets to feel . . .so I try for it on most days with varied success.

Now to send various contacts to various folks, check out last year's house and rental expenses, and figure out the next step in the Elsa dress.

For the armpit of the day, 3:30 I will get mail, return magazines and clean bathrooms . . . these are easier task for me.

Once more into the breech my friends . . . . I think this is Henry V in Shakespeare. Personally I think sobriety and being an adult takes more courage than warfare but that is just me.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:49 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Today was a long and tiring day of work. In fact, I got even more work today. Which means that tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I can work while I'm working. It all sounds a bit nuts, but I will simply have to get through it. Today is Tuesday and the push will be over by the evening of next Monday. Oh well. I know that the wallet will rejoice for this amount of work. Not too sure about eyes and brain, but they will be my trusty companions nonetheless.

I learned that my glasses are now on their way to me - hopefully they managed to already do something about the various postal clogs that occurred when covid hit its peak in these parts.

I'm actually so tired right now that the prospect of doing exactly the same thing tomorrow doesn't sound too inviting :P

End of Day 428. I did not drink today.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Heya all. I had a pretty good day. I'm not prone to good days so I will take it.

I never got to cleaning the bathrooms nor looking over last year's house expenses but did stay deedily employed for most of the rest of the day: picked up mail, ran laundry, made a batch of granola, sent contact info to various people involved with the house.

K, sounds like you are dragging a bit so maybe you are due for a good day on Wednesday. Hope you get smacked with a can of whomp ass for getting the work done.