Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Notices

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Old 07-03-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I hope international travel opens up enough for you to have your holiday.

Have a good night, kk.
Hi bim - international travel is open in these parts, at least as far as the Schengen area is concerned and Italy just recently opened up, too.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:36 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post
I think when an activity involves the elderly and yoga, it is okay in English to simply refer to it as "yoda" or "doing yoda". Is it not? :P
Old Man Yoga = Yoda! Sounds good to me. . . . . it was actually more chair fitness but anything helps.

Eating lunch and then back to finances. . . . (insert groaning and wimpering!)
Old 07-04-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Today has been quiet. For a minute, it seemed as if maybe I'll get some work for the weekend, but it never went through.

Went to the store and made dinner, aside from that I've just been watching TV. I feel like I ate too much, and there's a headache forming. Not good.

End of Day 418. I did not drink today.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

It has been another empty day of mostly nothing. I woke up in the middle of the night (fell asleep earlier than usual just because last night was without any sort of motivation for action on my part) and didn't fall back asleep immediately, which resulted in a later than usual wake-up time.

I actually understand that I'm basically reporting on the most mundane stuff in existence, but I still feel the requirement to do my daily post, so I'm simply "writing something" to tick the box.

For a couple of days now, I've been thinking that the newcomers section could use a "Thread of Tiny Positive Things We Notice While Sober" post - just to counteract the depressing amount of "I drank again" threads. Not calling anyone out ofc, that's why SR is SR - just wondering whether something like that could push a person to go a bit further than a week before they 'relapse', i.e. if people would actually list very specific observations of how sobriety served them well this day. You mostly get 6-month/1 or 2 year updates, which go easy on the details. Again, not calling anyone out, just saying that the general descriptions probably couldn't convince a "have never experienced this myself" jurors of the benefits of sobriety. Merely a thought.

End of Day 419. I did not drink today.

​​​​
Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I feel I can match you K and go further with the mundane details of life. I get a bit embarrassed about telling you all about it sometimes. However, I have chosen to believe that just taking care of yourself is powerful in unmeasurable ways.

Today I did 10 min of shuffling around with my late mom's medical bills for taxes, 10 min of yoga (setting a timer gives me a bit of structure so I feel a sense of accomplishment).

A few weeks ago I found an old electric toothbrush, put a new head on it and have been using it twice a day. It is set to brush for 2 solid minutes each time. The brown stains on my lower teeth disappeared after a week

For a couple of days now, I've been thinking that the newcomers section could use a "Thread of Tiny Positive Things We Notice While Sober" post - just to counteract the depressing amount of "I drank again" threads. Not calling anyone out ofc, that's why SR is SR - just wondering whether something like that could push a person to go a bit further than a week before they 'relapse', i.e. if people would actually list very specific observations of how sobriety served them well this day. You mostly get 6-month/1 or 2 year updates, which go easy on the details. Again, not calling anyone out, just saying that the general descriptions probably couldn't convince a "have never experienced this myself" jurors of the benefits of sobriety. Merely a thought.

​​​​
I actually think this is a good idea. I would try to contribute although I am probably more of a codependent than an alcoholic.

Well, I am trying to get proficient at using Zoom and have scheduled a meeting to do the Mass readings with my siblings in 20 min. I hope it goes okay.

K, how is the time without work going? I am chronically unemployed and find it difficult.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Google idea kk, go for it. Almost everyone is aware of the big stuff - health, finances, relationships but sometimes something smaller and more personal can make a big difference to someone's outlook and demeanor when they are in early recovery. I'm sure ather SR members would contribute.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Sun is setting over the mountains here. Last night the fireworks were going off for hours even though they are illegal . . .ugh. We have huge fire danger and are in a drought. We could turn into the inferno that Australia was last winter (their summer). Weirdly it is legal to sell fireworks but illegal to set them offf . . . silly.

I had my typical Sunday of electronic communication with friends and family. It seems so important at this time to stay in tough but man oh man, I don't care for phone nor zoom conversations. Dad likes it though so that is good.

So feeling kind of grumpy. Hope you all are hacking away at whatever is on your plate at the moment.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
K, how is the time without work going? I am chronically unemployed and find it difficult.
I've recently started noticing that I do not do well without work. I can whine and grumble whilst working, but I realise that I prefer working to not working, because when I'm not working, I find myself having to deal with finding specific tasks and goals to set my mind to and it's not always easy, y'know? Mostly it's about having a lot of options and not being able to choose, or being afraid to choose lest the chosen activity gets cut short by something that overrides it (e.g. incoming work). In general, it's a motivational struggle more than anything else, but I'm working on that

By the way, what do you mean by 'chronically unemployed'?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Seems I've gotten into the habit of closing off my days earlier - I rather enjoy not having the laptop on in the evenings unless I'm working. No work came in today, so all is still quiet on that front. Hopefully I can get something to translate this week as well.
I'm supposed to have an online meeting this week regarding a project I said yes to awhile back. It remains to be seen what comes of that.
Also - I "went fishing" for some feedback on a manuscript I submitted way-way back at the end of last year. I got one review that they had (waiting on another) and it was a mixed bag. I haven't formed a relevant opinion on it as yet, and will probably wait until the second review comes in, because that'll determine whether I'll be making changes to the manuscript ...or start looking for a "new home" for it.

And now I'm just going to watch a Liam Neeson movie. I've got plenty to choose from lol.

Since today was Monday, it was also so-called weighing day. The scale suggested that I've probably lost about 3lbs. I'm alright with that - it's not much, but it's something. And something is better than nothing for me in this specific context.

Hope everyone had a decent day.

End of Day 420. I did not drink today.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

"Not having the laptop on/not working in the evening." Sounds like a good TPT to me.

When I first started selling Real Estate (so - self-employed) it was hard for me to call an end to the workday. Finally THE Top Performer in my brokerage told me to schedule my own time off and not to waver on that.

Easier to do when you have already made your millions!

I did implement a, "I'll answer your call between 9AM and 7PM," and that in itself was a great tool for my own serenity. I needed to have some boundaries. I didn't show properties or meet at the office on Wednesday or Thursday, either.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Talking

I've recently started noticing that I do not do well without work. I can whine and grumble whilst working, but I realise that I prefer working to not working, because when I'm not working, I find myself having to deal with finding specific tasks and goals to set my mind to and it's not always easy, y'know? Mostly it's about having a lot of options and not being able to choose, or being afraid to choose lest the chosen activity gets cut short by something that overrides it (e.g. incoming work). In general, it's a motivational struggle more than anything else, but I'm working on that

By the way, what do you mean by 'chronically unemployed'?
As far as being chronically unemployed, I have been a teacher but my last job was 7 years ago in Bahrain. I do work, renting an airbnb and taking care of my parents (now just my Dad) but it isn't a regular job. I'm not paid for it and it is pretty much self directed.

You described what I experience a lot, "having a lot of options and not being able to choose". Also my depression makes me non motivated. I find the less I do the less I want to do and the more discouraged and down on myself I get. Posting here helps which is why I have hooked myself to the Rome-building-buggy here (-:

I got out for an errand this afternoon which helped. I needed a new headlight in my car. It wound up being easy. I also took the Spanish novel back to the library as I'm now reading a Mexican one. I also did 25 min of yoga with my Dad, ironed the Elsa dress, ran laundry, talked to my sister about some finance issues, and messaged the next airbnb renters.

My message to the next renters was written as diplomatically as possible as I my home town has instituted rules about wearing masks. We get lots of tourists and there has been a wide range of reactions to regulations. Fortunately my renter appears to be okay with the local laws . . . . phew.

So I'm off to look up some more about joining a scheduled Zoom meeting, throw out some Christmas cards, and text my brother.

K, thanks for posting about the small benefits of sobriety. I will be adding to that thread the little I have to say.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:46 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

I am on the same page with you on that, Bekind. I also notice that the longer I'm idle, the less I want to do. I sometimes hesitate when accepting work, but usually find myself more engaged during the days I'm working, and those days also have more structure (largely mandated by the work itself).
No work came in today, so it's now the fifth day without work. Yesterday evening there was an offer, but just like the last one, it didn't pan out for some reason or another. Aside from that, I organised some research literature for my upcoming/future topics of interest and wrote down some notes for the 'old' manuscript that I mentioned earlier, the one for which I've thus far received one review after about 8 months of waiting. Hopefully the second one then arrives sooner rather than later.

I'm closing off the day earlier again, because I'm just going to watch TV later on and lounge around. When I get a good night's sleep, I'll figure out something more productive for tomorrow, work or no work. I still haven't found that so-called "sweetspot" between worrying too much and being too hippie-like (i.e. "no cares in the world, friend. peace" type stuff). Guess I have to take my own advice and decide on 'something' rather than just pander about without working, thinking about when work might come etc.

I hope you do post in the Tiny Positive Things thread

End of Day 421. I did not drink today.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Limping through the day . . . . .my brother and his family are off camping to celebrate my nephew's 14th birthday. I have been left in charge of the nephew's ducks and chickens. This is a lovely do-able task that gets me out of the house.

I did manage to get a couple of emails off to the accountant about estimated taxes. For some weird reason I hate hate hate communicating with the accountant. (He is a lovely man who I have known most of my life) Anyhow I'm feeling wonderfully virtuous in that I emailed him twice . . go me!

Also I have been super pissed off at my sister. She is a predictable weirdo and is just being who she is - ugh.

Sigh . . . sorry for all the complaining.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you got to deal with ducks and chickens, not so glad to hear of the people giving you grief, Bekind. Hope today is better.

Unfortunately, I've had a stomach ache since breakfast. It has now finally (mostly) gone away, but the right side of my big belly still feels a bit awkward. I'm very hungry and my 'feeding time' is near, but I'm sort of afraid to eat anything at this point ...
In the good news section, I got work! It's a decent chunk of translation with a Monday deadline, which I'm very glad about. I also received the final revisions request for one of my manuscripts, and spent a little time on that in the morning, so now that's one in the book (literally :P). After notifying my supervisor of completing the final revisions, I also received an email from her and the response had a very upbeat tone - she mentioned 'promoting me and my work' a lot, and that they want to involve me in upcoming (as yet undetermined) projects in regularly paid capacity. That's sort of ...my dream at this point. A more regular income But of course, all of this remains to be seen and won't have any practical impact before autumn anyways. As long as there is hope, right?

I'm going to close off the day and hope I'll be able to get some food in me without irritating the internals too much. Need to get a good night's sleep in order to be ready for work tomorrow.

End of Day 422. I did not drink today.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That sounds really promising kk, congratulations on getting the translation work.
Well done on shedding the 3lb/1.25K, that's about the same as a pair of shoes.

Enjoy the ducks and chickens Bekind, it sounds fun.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Howdy from the armpit of the day . . . . . . not a bad day really. I'm hacking away at the dreaded finances and getting a bit done. It feels good. Sister and accountant aren't really giving me grief; it is more dealing with my own feelings about them . . . . I can feel my brain scrambling to blame them when it really doesn't have anything to do with them.

Chickens and ducks are good. I got to chase them back into their pens which was kind of fun.

I'm headed for some afternoon housekeeping/cleaning. Cleaning is easy for me so I save it for the afternoon

first I'm going to put more sparkles on the Elsa cape and then vacuum . . . glitter sure is messy to work with.

Onward into infinity!!!!
Old 07-09-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Great news, Kk, on the translation stream front and your supervisor's intention to promote you and your work. I'm hoping you receive a second review soon.

Bekind, looking after ducks and chickens, are they free-range, is it like herding cats enticing them into coops at night? Sorry to read of your sister, ugh, I can so relate.

Hi there Saou, Bimini and Dee, it's good to see you walking the Sobriety Path.

Not much to add here, chop wood, carry water (also literally, firewood and watering cans for plants) and try to subsume the stoicism I see displayed in this lovely thread.

P.S. Fantastic TPT thread in Newcomers, Kk!
Old 07-09-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Thanks, Tatsy

Today has been a mixed bag. I had a difficult time getting out of bed, because I still had some stiffness and discomfort in my mid-section - I have no idea what that's about. So I lingered in bed until noon-ish time, and basically just got up to take a shower, have a coffee and get set for the online meeting. The meeting went alright, I got some information regarding what's needed of me for the project.
After that I went to the grocery store for some cold smoked salmon (I had soup for dinner). I did do some translating today as well, maybe 2 pages, but in earnest, the work begins tomorrow. I set some goals for tomorrow in that regard, so I'll see if I can make that, or get close to those goals within the day and thus put myself back on schedule.

Hope everyone else had a better day, because my stomach discomfort switched to a headache later on. How marvellous lol.

End of Day 423. I did not drink today.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:43 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hey K, I hope your Friday is better . . . I had a bit of a downer day myself. Probably just caused by my chronic depression - ugh.

I did get to drive with my nephew which was lovely. He tells me stories of his life that I haven't heard before. We discussed favorite hisrtorical figures: he likes Machiavelli and I like the forgotten American president Chester Arthur.

Sao, I'm chopping wood and carrying water too . . .same old same old . . .such is life.

K, what book are you reading right now?
Old 07-10-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hey K, I hope your Friday is better . . . I had a bit of a downer day myself. Probably just caused by my chronic depression - ugh.

I did get to drive with my nephew which was lovely. He tells me stories of his life that I haven't heard before. We discussed favorite hisrtorical figures: he likes Machiavelli and I like the forgotten American president Chester Arthur.

Sao, I'm chopping wood and carrying water too . . .same old same old . . .such is life.

K, what book are you reading right now?
Teenagers who like Machiavelli sound incredibly dangerous :P
I'm currently still on 1984, mostly because I haven't continued reading it with everything that has gone down in the past month or so.