Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Notices

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread Pt 2

Old 06-16-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
p***enger

hi kk -- your story of the quick slide rings true. I did something similar: experimented relatively non-destructively for a bit -- but soon took off hard, young, on liquor and drugs. Quit the drugs mostly within a few years, but didn't look back on liquor for decades. At the surface level I did a lot, I guess -- like you, formal education-wise. People might be surprised at how easy it is for an academic to be a drunk. Sooner or later tho, it comes down to a choice. They say in AA, jails, institution, death -- or sobriety. They say we're the only ones who'd find that choice hard. ;-)

Congratulations on your 400th day!
Old 06-16-2020, 08:18 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Heya all, I had a nice busy day which is nice for a change. The friend for whom I'm making the historic costume came by. We met her outside and talked and ate popsicles. I had her try the dress on on a neighbor's porch . . . . a bit goofy to do this but visitors are not allowed in my Dad's building. Are we being too careful or not enough? It is difficult to know.

Also another lovely hour drive with my nephew. He talked about high school and not fitting in nor having many friends. It seems like age appropriate angst about life and what it holds. He is quite an introvert so I can't imagine he would be very into teenage parties but what do I, the middle aged aunt, know about this. I try to shut up and listen.

Tomorrow I will try to achieve a bit higher level of cleanliness in the apartment and print off some credit card statements. Also get someone to look at the heater and talk to my brother about roof replacement . . . . yep . . . I'm living that life of ultra glamour. Definitely not one of the jet setting mover and shakers but I will take it.

Sao, it will be interesting to look back on how this pandemic played out and what worked and what didn't. The UK hasn't been as bad as Italy was or am I wrong on this?

K, congrats on that nice round number of 400 sober days. May there be many many more sober days in your future.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I had you down as being in the legal profession kk, I am not sure why I assumed that .

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post

Sao, it will be interesting to look back on how this pandemic played out and what worked and what didn't. The UK hasn't been as bad as Italy was or am I wrong on this?

Italy was the first country in Europe to get hit badly Bekind but sadly we are somewhat worse than they are now, worst in Europe. Only the US and Brazil have lost more people to Covid19 but of course they both have fare more people. It is pretty grim.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone

courage - that's actually rings very true, the part about the relative ease of being a drunk when in and/or around the academic life (since I only have the experience up to the PhD student level). Matter of fact, when I read your post, it made me remember something. I can no longer recall when it occurred exactly, but around the time it started to dawn on me that law probably isn't my "thing", I realised that I'm basically stuck. Or at least I felt that way. Being uni, for what it's worth, actually accommodated the oft drunkenness and all the hangovers, as long as you were able to catch up later. Any mandatory classes in which absences weren't tolerated, were a chore. But again, for the most part it seemed to "work" for an alcoholic. However, when I started having those questions about my chosen discipline, the realisation that "I don't think I'm actually capable of doing any other job or activity" was certainly a stark one. I stuck with those study programmes partly because I didn't actually think I had any choice in the matter. In a way, it was also my escape, because it was a thing I could point my finger at and say "I'm doing that" ...should anyone interrogate the lack of more practical outcomes from my then-miserable existence. So, yeah, that certainly rang true for me.

Bekind - good to hear that you had a nice day

Sao - I've talked about law quite a bit, I guess. Like I described above, I don't precisely recall when that light bulb switched on with the "Holy *****sicles, I have no interest in the thing I've been studying all these years". I bet it was somewhere after finishing undergraduate / during early graduate studies.

I managed to be a bit more productive today. Finished one translation, which was an especially awkward one, and only have 2 pages left from the second one. Friday is my sister's son's first bday, and as it currently stands, I will be in attendance.

PS: PBS Frontline released their episode "The Virus: What Went Wrong" yesterday (I was up very late). I recommend watching it

End of Day 401. I did not drink today.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I had another decent day. Driving with the nephew is key to keeping my mood up. He is a bit of an intellectual and I enjoy the conversation. K, I think I glommed (not sure that is the word) onto your thread as I enjoy how you express yourself and your ideas . . . .hmm . . . don't mean to give you performance anxiety here. (-;

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post

PS: PBS Frontline released their episode "The Virus: What Went Wrong" yesterday (I was up very late). I recommend watching it
The summer fires are starting up early this year. Ugh. I'm thinking of how Australia was a few months ago and we may be headed that way too. Yuck.

So I did a bit of everything today with an emphasis on bringing the apartment out of a place of distinct squalor.

Onward all with whatever come our way.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Some countries seemed to manage the Covid virus pretty well, Germany for instance. I think it is about taking hard decisions early on rather than waiting until it is too late.

Have a grrreat day guys.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post
it was also my escape, because it was a thing I could point my finger at and say "I'm doing that" ...should anyone interrogate the lack of more practical outcomes from my then-miserable existence.
You put your finger on it nicely. One of the few remaining professions where it's actually your job to piddle your life away. The perfect camouflage for a functional drunk.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:50 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

It's been insanely hot here for the past two days. When the weather gets like this, it saps all of my energy. For some reason, hot and humid weather always has some connection to horrible hangovers for me. I can't pinpoint the experience, but there were instances of going way too far with booze in weather that was way too hot for consuming anything other than water. Ever since those experiences, hot and humid weather carries a specific connotation for me, and with it a sense of discomfort (aside from the physical discomfort it causes anyways).

I did do a couple more pages of translation that were left for this morning, but mostly just lounged around. In the evening, however, the work guy offered another 9 page translation, which I accepted. Initially, with a heavy heart, because it meant I wouldn't be able to make it to my nephew's first birthday. Then my conscience kicked in and now I'm pushing through the translation (will have done 4 of the 9, soon), and it will take parts of my night and some of my morning, but I decided I'll get it done AND go to the little man's bday. I'd be a ****** uncle if I didn't. Fortunately, my brain is quite rested still and the translation is not one of those backbreakers.

I second Sao in hoping everyone had or is having a great day

End of Day 402. I did not drink today.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:09 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Irk, for no good reason I was in a crappy mood all day. Nothing bad happened and I did some useful stuff; I'm just happy to call it a day.

Hope Friday goes well all.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I'm going to call it a day really early today, because later on I'll probably just be watching TV and dozing off as I do so.
Unfortunately, I didn't make it to my nephew's 1st birthday sitting. I really pushed it, worked until 3 am, but I still had 2 pages left in the morning. With a slow start to the day, I felt quite exhausted as I continued the translation. Ultimately, my mother (who was already in the city) called me and said not to come, because the weather is currently extremely hot here, the buses have no air-conditioning etc. I'm a big guy, so overheated summers are a no-no for me.
Hence, I just finished my translation, got the numbers from the work guy and submitted my invoice for the week. The invoice itself ended up being quite decent, but I still have mixed feelings about it to an extent.
Also did some research work (submitted an abstract for consideration).

At lunchtime, I did venture outside for a trip to the grocery store. I definitely should not be outside in this weather. Even a 10 min walk to the store and then 10 min back is quite awful if the air sits completely still and it's 30C and humid. It's currently still somewhat sunny outside, but I've been hearing thunder in the distance for a time now. Another storm is brewing.

If it won't get too bad, I'll spend my evening watching some documentaries and figuring out what I'll eat. If it gets stormy, I'll put on some audiobook or podcast from my phone and just relax. By the way, the intermittent fasting has worked its magic now, I can feel it. Or rather, I do not feel hungry all the time anymore (from what I read, it happens because of that switch in what's used as the source for energy in the body. I think). I've been keeping to the 12 hour no eating window each day for what must be 5 days now. I shall continue with this, because I feel more energetic during the day and, most surprisingly, food no longer makes me sleepy? I wonder what that's about (it should, basically, be connected to spikes in blood sugar and something with insuling, but I'm not sure). Anyways - I'm not promoting any approach to one's food and eating regimen, I've just found this approach to be suitable for me, personally. And I'm certainly not doing nor will I ever do the more extreme versions of it, I simply wanted some structure to my eating habits, and eating times in particular -- letting the body figure out what it really wants to eat when it's eating time; instead of snacking all the freaking time or doing some crazy no eggs, but lots of fruit juice, but no meat, but lots of milk gone bad type dieting thing... Having that simple restriction window just seems to be a good tool for me and it has worked in the past as well (but I was only temporarily off booze back then and once I drank, the regimen went to the wind along with many other things). Hence the new go now.

Hope everyone has a good start to their weekend.

End of Day 403. I did not drink today.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Sorry you didn't make the birthday party K but it may well be better to go when you can just be one-on-one with your nephew also a time when it is cooler I hope you bond with your nephew as it is just the best to have a close relationship with a kid. My nephews pretty much make my world go round.

We got a teeny bit of rain which was great. I'm still fearing we are headed into a summer like Australia had . . ugh.

My day was better. I made a lot of phone calls which, as I don't like talking on the phone, is an achievement. Also I had a Spanish lesson today: new word, gafete (tag) . . . my acquisition of Spanish has been slow and painful. Unfortunately, growing up, there were no other languages spoken around me. I took tons of classes but that just isn't the way to learn a language . . sigh. K, I envy you your facility with language. It seems wild to me to be able to speak two languages fluently. I do know there are some folks who wind up speaking no language as well as I speak English.

If doing a period of fasting makes you feel better K, than go for it. I know food can really affect your health. How has your sleep been of late?

Tomorrow more driving with my nephew, work on the Elsa dress, and check over the charges for doctors for my Dad in 2019.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hi Bekind. Sleep has definitely been better. One thing I recently notice is that, when I wake up in the middle of the night ... let's say I fall asleep at midnight and then briefly wake up at 2.30am, my brain feels like it has been asleep for far longer than that. I've never noticed it before. It's like... the brain "pushes" time forward faster now compared to earlier. Since one of the points of sleep (to my understanding) is to create distance between the now and past events, perhaps a healing brain does that to a greater effect? I.e. which would make it easier to let go of any "(small) misfortunes of yesterday"? I don't know. That's what I've noticed.

Today I slept in anyways. Woke up at the usual time, but still felt sleepy and since I don't have any obligations currently, I just went back to sleep after staying awake for a bit. I guess I just needed to "rest out" yesterday's slight shortage of sleep. The weather here is rainy and stormy today (so also cooler, which I like very much), and it's making everyone sleepy as well.

I looked into some data collection methods today, learned a bit on that front and tested out some stuff. It worked and so I learned a small new tool to use in the future.

I'll get to my dinner now, so I'll close off the day

PS: keep at your language studies Bekind, it'll come

End of Day 404. I did not drink today.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hats of for learning a new language Bekind, I read or heard somewhere that an additional benefit of it is that it opens up new neural networks in our head and improves our overall mental sharpness. Good stuff.

Well done on the 12 hour fasting kk. Which 12 hours do you not eat? I might give it a try.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Hi Sao. For me, and since I've only been at it for like a week, I've had dinner at around 7pm. But there have been variations, one evening definitely was at 9pm and today was 6pm. So, for now, I'm simply adjusting mentally to having that window there. Speaking of probably long-term, I personally will go for 7pm - even if I'm a bit earlier than usual and in case I feel really-really hungry (which hasn't actually happened after the first day or two), I can have my breakfast at 7am. From what I've read (and there's a bit more information available for the slightly longer fasts, e.g. 16 hours), people usually just adjust that window to their own personal needs. For 16 hours, people break their fast at lunch time right, so people who have office jobs described that as their option. Easier to regulat the "evening end" of things at home. If I had to be on a bus somewhere at 8, then a 7am breakfast would suit me just fine. But again, mostly people just place that window to where they're able to swing it right.

I watched some videos on it on YouTube, in particular about the differences between the benefits gained from a 12-hour vs a 16-hour fast, and while 12 doesn't get "all of it", it gets a lot of benefits. It was interesting to listen to the video now that I've actually already (mostly) adapted to it. One video mentioned something called "food awareness" and that's definitely something my experience so far has confirmed. I was almost entirely automated in evening-time snacking, e.g. when I'd be working on a tough translation or there's some manuscript stuff to do, I'd venture into the kitchen robot-style; have a couple of cookies and some milk; and then get back to what I was doing. You definitely snap out of that version of things quickly.

Most of the process is mental, but I do have to put a disclaimer here, because the videos and materials I've consumed on the topic suggest that there definitely are people for whom this thing is not recommended (kidney issues come to mind, can't recall the rest). I am trying out this 12-hour version both as a mental test and to set specific boundaries for my automaton-type snacking. I'm not pushing it (and it's not difficult at all, tbh, mentally-speaking) because I have no desire to set off certain other cravings in the process, y'know? However, I am testing it out, because I need to get healthier. One thing all sources mention is the benefit to your gut microbes. There's an engaging read on that in The Medium titled "Why Your Gut Microbes Love Intermittent Fasting" if you're interested.

My thing, currently, is also some weight loss - I could certainly welcome some of that, however, I'm currently more focussed on the general mental benefits of it all and will keep monitoring myself daily. I'll stop the "promotional" here lol - to each their own. Practically speaking, I'd venture a guess that for a fairly normal eater who also mostly consumes healthy foods, this "window" might be nothing more than not having a late-night snack (regardless of whether it's a Mars bar or a baby carrot ).

If you do end up trying it at some point, Sao, feel free to share your experiences. It'd be interesting to know if our experiences from the first days end up being similar.

Take care y'all.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks kk. I no longer need to lose much weight but I would like to reduce my waistline by maybe 5 cms/2ins which is stubbornly refusing to shift.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Well, Kk, this is a nothingness post regarding you and others, I'm sorry. Because it's Father's Day today in the UK and my beloved Father passed away last year, so I'm feeling rather grim. But, he would be so proud of me for stopping drinking again last year, after I started again after two and a half years, around the time of his illness and demise.

Take care y'all too, this is a lovely thread, populated by lovely posters.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

We all wind up being our own science experiment in many ways specially with major changes in drinking and eating. I wish I noticed more differences from changes that I have made . . . sigh . . . I do notice immediate lifting of my mood when I exercise.

I've spent the morning on video calls with family as it is father's day in the US. I get a bit tired of sitting around talking on zoom or FaceTime but Dad just glows talking to his grandkids.

So I'm off to keep laundry going, do some yoga, sew a bit on the Elsa dress, and tidy up . . . . .may all be well with all.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:36 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hi Tatsy I'm convinved you're father would be proud. I think the primary thing our parents ever want for us is for our hearts to be in the right place - and yours certainly is Everything else comes through trial and error, and our parents know this ...because it was the same for them, and their parents.

Bekind, I'm glad to read you're keeping busy.

Sao - did you mention that you do early morning walks/jogging? I read a bit more about the 12-hour window and something, which seems to apply more to you than my current situation, that relates to exercise in and/or near the fasted state (so around or after that 12 hr mark). You're body is more receptive to burning fat in that state and even light exercise would give it a push. You might want to read up on that yourself though.

As to my own day, it was ...interesting. In the morning, I purposefully walked to the store very early because I badly wanted bacon with my porridge and cottage cheese. It's baffling to me why bacon is so expensive here, given how much pork we all eat. If someone would magically ship me like ...2 packs of thick back rashers from Tesco every other week, I'd be a happy camper haha (Bekind - it's the equivalent of someone "magically mailing" me a 24 oz pack of applewood smoked Great Value bacon from Walmart ). I do prefer English bacon, though. Here, i.e. what you can more easily get from the stores, 150 gram (0.33 lbs) pack of bacon costs nearly 2 euros, can you believe that? I mean, I'd understand the price if instead of woodsmoke they'd infuse the bacon with elven magic, but otherwise it's quite ridiculous. So bacon is usually a "craving" item for me here, not a staple.

Aside from my strong views on processed pork, I'm keeping to my 12-hour schedule. This week was about figuring out if it's doable for me, and it was. I'll record my weight tomorrow morning and then try to keep that up once every week. As this week was about testing the possibility, I will focus on getting a fix on the actual schedule in the upcoming week - aiming for my dinner to consistently be at or in the close vicinity of 7am. I'll keep at it until I get the schedule in place. After that I will address the actual foods I'm consuming. So that's my more specific plan moving forward - I'll have to look and see how it pans out.

In terms of activities, I did do a bit more research work, although the current stage of actions is akin to custodian work (fixing technical aspects in the manuscript, adding bits and pieces here and there). That's mostly because if I'm done with it, and the professor should join in this week, I will have an actual window of a couple of weeks without specific research activities. I hope to work during that time and do other things. The work guy did offer a large translation today, but it was too large and the topic too unfamiliar for the deadline that was attached to it, so I had to say no. We have our big holidays coming up - actually, tomorrow is alread a half-day for most businesses - and so I'm a bit doubtful I will get work before that. But you never know. I'd certainly be interested in spending my time earning an income while most of the nation is getting plastered and making bonfires

I also wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who posts here, because SR is the cornerstone of my recovery and my biggest source of daily support (and recovery-related action in the form of my posts). You guys and gals are my recovery group and I appreciate your presence and posts a lot Just wanted all of you to know that.

End of Day 405. I did not drink today.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:44 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

K, if I ever have plans to head to your corner of the world, I will come bearing cheap bacon from walmart/cosco/Sam's club . . . .bacon is good stuff.

Tatsy, ugh . . . those milestones after a parent passing are rough. I hope you feel his spirit with you.

I kept deedily employed for the afternoon which leaves me with a nice sense of accomplishment.

Heigh ho and onward to whatever next adventure 2020 holds.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

No argument from me regarding bacon's goodness, Bekind

I will close today off early, because I feel like I might fall asleep soon even though it's not even 5pm.

I did record my weight today and it was about 2lbs (1kg) less than a week ago. Small change (if it's an actual change), but I'll take it and see what next week brings. In general, I can only say that approaches/solutions that are "simple, but not easy" are the best kinds for me. My regimen certainly falls under that category and I will keep following it, because I feel it brings other benefits besides possible weight loss.

Anyways, currently a bit demotivated because I've been trying out some data collection techniques and it's not working as I'd wish.

End of Days 406. I did not drink today.