Notices

One Year & Over Part 74

Old 04-17-2020, 02:51 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Phoenix - that is a horror story
Old 04-17-2020, 03:16 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thanks, Toots! Our administration is doing an excellent job of keeping us safe. A small number of residents blow off the risks but they have no choice but to follow the rules, thankfully. There are, of course, no guarantees but I am hopeful.

I had my first telehealth appointment with my GI doc this morning. Not bad once they got the kinks worked out. It is certainly more convenient besides also being much safer.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Happy Friday everyone -

it’s been hectic and unproductive this week - nice to catch up on everyone’s notes.

FBL - what a joy to see your mom
SG - sending you good thoughts for your FIL

Right now I’m in a park and baby K is moving dirt - a scene somewhere between Hansel and Gretel and Shawshank redemption.

And she’s off, and so am I!

Sending you all good thoughts and hope you get to do something you enjoy this weekend.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:31 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 5 year Soberversary Stargazer!
Old 04-17-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Overcast this morning, we could do with some rain.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:00 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Congratulations on 5 years Star
I’m glad your fil’s fever is getting better.

SE sounds like baby K is enjoying herself in the park and keeping you on your toes.

Andy, I think rain is on the cards for us!

Sassy, when you first mentioned the way your OFH is handling ways to protect you all from the virus, I wondered what the UK homes were doing to protect everyone. Sadly as toots said, we’ve had some losses of life.

FBL, pleased business is going well and keeping you busy,

Sophie, naan bread seems quite easy to make, though there are many different recipes for it. Mr. Mags tried the one with an egg added and the naan bread was more filling than the usual ones. Some have yeast (we used dried) and some don’t. So I imagine there can be many different textures to the naan. hope you enjoy the banana bread.

Have a serene Saturday my friends xxxx
Old 04-18-2020, 01:02 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sophie, sometimes you just need to take a breather. My mum had a similar day last week and felt so down my brother and sil actually went round and sat in her garden with her for a while. She has since had a few really good days where she has achieved what she set out to do and feels good.

Star, congratulations my friend! 5 Years! I'm glad your fil is improving, I saw a confirmed post - so many media posts these days have dodgy info - on fb where a 100 year old had gotten over covid 19.

Have a great weekend, not that is any different to the weeks now for a lot of us - hubby and I lost Wednesday this week, seriously, we both thought it was Tuesday all day and woke up to Thursday! Scary!
Old 04-18-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welcome to my world, Toots . I often lose days!

SG, congrats on 5 years

Have a good day to all
Old 04-18-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks everyone for the congrats! It is difficult to believe sometimes that I have made it to this point. I am very grateful to have been given a second chance at life.

Have a good day all!
Old 04-18-2020, 03:44 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Our governor has now extended the "safer at home" order thru May 26th! There are many small businesses that will not survive such a long shutdown. There has to be a solution between protecting the vulnerable and opening up the economy. There is a protest scheduled for next week at the state capitol building and I'm seriously thinking about going.

Looking forward to my Saturday morning recovery meeting. I have a feeling we'll have a big group today.

Have a Wonderful Weekend, overs!
Old 04-18-2020, 11:29 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

It amazes me that not one government in the world has a coherent strategy to cope with a pandemic. Borders have stayed open until the virus is in a country and then panic ensues.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

FBL, there is indeed a fine and painful line that no one government has been able to determine when things are safe to open up. It comes down to the lack of available testing. If we actually know whom has been exposed, whom has immunity, whom is still at risk, we could have a coherent strategy. If you go, make sure you stay six feet away from everyone. Make certain you where a mask and gloves. I am at the point where I throw my clothes immediately in the washing machine and jump in the shower when I get home from work. The feeling of germy disgust overwhelms me sometimes after working with the public nine hours a day. I gather you have not spent a lot of time around others during the outbreak. Unfortunately, it is likely that you would have not acquired any immunity to it as a result. Please be careful. It would be ironic if these protests actually become renewed centers for Covid spreading out throughout the states. Social distancing has totally flattened the curve in the county in which I live, and my county was the state hot spot for weeks. I guess being a front line worker, and knowing forty one food store employees have died from Covid, gives me a healthy respect for social distancing. Being around other people voluntarily is the last thing in the world I would want to do at this point.

Yesterday, the state run liquor store got a big delivery. I guess that means the state is preparing to open these stores back up shortly. They generate a lot of cash for the government.

Found out yesterday that my FIL tested negative for Covid. I never have been so happy for someone to have the flu!

Be safe everyone!
Old 04-19-2020, 12:09 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Star that’s really good news about your fil.

FBL, take care if you go on the protest. It’s difficult to stay 6ft away from each other I imagine,

Sunny day here so far, had peaches and yoghurt for breakfast.

Have a lovely Sunday my friends, stay safe and take care xxxx
Old 04-19-2020, 01:29 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

FBL be careful if you decide to protest, we don't want you to become a statistic.

This pandemic is unprecedented and no one knows the best way to deal. In hindsight, we well see the mistakes made, but at present every government is doing what it can. Japan came out of lockdown too quickly and now has to go into a second one as the virus surges. No government wants to be the one that saw the end of so many small businesses and livelihoods, but neither do they want to be held responsible for unnecessary deaths. We will learn from this, but yes, the lessons will come too late for some.

Star, I thank every member of staff who serves me, for putting themselves at risk for us.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

FBL, I agree with SG and Toots. Our world and our country are going to look very different (and it likely won’t be over for a good while). I suspect that there will be many changes. I am normally in favor of protests as a way to cause change. In this case, I personally am not. I don’t want to see the pandemic get even more out of hand and more lives lost.

An example of just one factor: in our throw-away world, the N95 masks have become a bottleneck. A small tuberculosis hospital in this country has a different approach for their PPE mask needs. They provide each employee with a reusable mask that is fitted exactly to them. It seals really well and is much safer than the N95. They clean it themselves, usually at end of shift, using just alcohol. Over the course of a year, they end up being substantially cheaper and have an excellent safety profile. The manufacturer is in this country. We have plenty of creative people who could work on these issues!

Imho, as this pandemic fades, we need good, experienced thinkers to examine what happened and identify changes that could have made it much less draconian.

There are things that could be done to better help those hit hard including providing food, suspending billing for basic needs such as rent, mortgages, health care, etc.. I would happily protest (safely!) in favor of making sure everyone has basic needs met!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its a tough decision but I'll always side with protecting peoples lives - economies can always be bought back to life, people not so much.

If people are serious about wanting economies open then they need to look at mandatory and widespread testing, a massive increase in available PPE and uncomfortable measures like tracking peoples phones to work out exposure and proximity to known virus cases.

Those are big asks.

D
Old 04-19-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to hear about your FIL SG

D
Old 04-19-2020, 03:53 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it! I have thought about it some more and I will not be attending the protest (I'm really not the protesting type anyway). It looks like the governor may have over-stepped his bounds in this case and the state assembly will be fighting him on this all the way. That is how our government is supposed to work. Checks and balances. I haven't said much here about how I feel about this whole situation. Honestly, my life really hasn't been affected much at all, so I don't feel qualified to give others advice. I don't personally know anybody who's even tested positive, let alone died from the virus. However, I have seen some of my friends hurting from the forced shutdown of the economy. Some are small business owners and they may lose everything they've worked so hard to achieve. That's the reality of the situation and I don't have any easy answers.

Some good news now...my Saturday morning meeting was really good yesterday. A big turnout and some great recovery discussion. My friend Liz is back in the meetings and she's doing much better these days.

Some nice weather this morning for my extended nature walk. I've put on some extra pounds over the winter, so I'm hoping to walk a few off in the coming weeks.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:57 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some of my friends own small businesses and are hurting too, FBL.

I'm praying hard for a vaccine or something like that will lead to some kind of normality.

D
Old 04-19-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks, Dee! I'm hoping that we will all come out of this with some spiritual growth and a more compassionate society as a whole. So grateful that we have our recovery to help us thru!