Notices

Class of January 2020 PART6

Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Cityboy, how were you in CO in your dream, and didn’t stop by and visit me? On another note... what’s your sober date? I have an app, and I think we have the same date. My date is 1/11/20 - 87 days today.

Congrats on 90 days, MrWolfie!

jr67, when I was a Freshman in HS, my dad and step-mom took me and my brother to the Cape. We spent a day in Provincetown and I loved it! That was in 1983 or 1984 and seeing so many people “out” was so cool!

ButterMarsh, nice work on pulling yourself out of that. I’m finding that we’re all developing tools to aid in our sobriety.

dlb, I’m sorry you’ve encountered some challenging times. I’m glad things are better today.

I ended up sewing 45-50 masks in 3 days. I had a lot of fun doing that. It’s been awhile since I’ve sewn.

I had a tele-health appointment with my PCP yesterday. He told me that he hopes I’m staying in because I’m one of those people who absolutely cannot catch this or it will be bad news. I have a feeling I’ll be at home for months. I’m scared of what will happen when we stop social distancing - much like the 1918 flu pandemic. Good thing I’m a homebody!

I hope everyone else is doing well! ❤️
Old 04-07-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Daisybelle7, yes my sober date is January 11, as the last evening during which I got snot faced and passed out in my chair was January 10. So I guess 90 days will come on Friday then. I can say with certainly that I've not gone 90 days without drinking any form of alcoholic beverage since probably 11th grade, or maybe 10th grade.

Jr, when you do get to visit France you could take your bike and do the Tour de France run, well maybe rent a bike for half a day and do a small portion of it anyway, a mostly downhill portion. That really would be cool.

Oh, daisybelle7 please do take care of yourself.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Butter your talk about renewal made me think that’s perhaps what the planet is currently doing. It’s a pretty tough and scary time for us humans, but the earth is really benefiting from reduced human impact ❤️

Bacchus I love your avatar pic. It reminds me of my childhood for some reason. I never played football, but maybe it’s the black & white and watching of football as a child. It’s a nostalgic feeling, but a nice, warm & fuzzy memory of days when my life was simple, safe and secure ❤️

Cityboy and Daisybelle7 hooray for Friday and 90 days
Yes Daisybelle7 please take care of yourself

jr, wow, I’m very impressed! I once cycled 17 kms to a waterfall for a picnic, then 17 km back. A total of 34km in one day. And it was gruelling! I don’t think I’m a very good cyclist. It was on a road on a mountain bike. Perhaps the wrong bike for such a trip, but I felt my legs were going to fall off!

I’m doing more cleaning today but the decluttering isn’t really happening lol, just moving things to different places, I can’t seem to bear to get rid of things, in case they might come in handy one day, or because someone special gave it to me, or it belonged to my dear Mum ❤️ I have a lot of stuff now crammed in the linen cupboard and piled up in the garage to sort through “another day” lol
Old 04-07-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

"moving things to different places"
Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Willow, yes, the earth may be going through a renewal right now. Either way, things are changing in every aspect.

Decluttering, ugh! I feel you on the 'letting go' issue. It usually happens slowly for me, but when it does, it's so freeing.

So yay, we will be celebrating CB's and db7's 90 and jr's century this Friday!!!! Triple yay. Although, I think dlb will also make 100 then, right? So quadruple yay! Huge congrats, everybody.

I'm not a good cyclist either but it's something I'd like to get into in the future. For now, I guess I'll stick to walking.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hey classmates!

It's 11am here and I'm thinking of getting my 1st coffee. Am I the only one who doesn't drink coffee first thing in the morning? I instead drink hot, lemon water... It's great for detoxing and hydration.

We have sunny days forecast for the rest of the week, which is nice.

Have a beautiful day, all!
Old 04-08-2020, 02:59 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

When not feeling well, hot water with a splash of lemon juice and a little honey is my beverage of choice. Good stuff. Under normal circumstances, getting the coffee pot going is the first order of business in the morning.

When I went back to school, I found that a cross country bike was by far the most efficient means of commuting to class. It was quite dangerous as I was nearly hit a couple of times and I saw or knew of people who were hit. They could have had better bike lanes.

My office in the smaller upstairs bedroom is along the same lines as my kid's room for needing to be straightened up.

Have a great day all.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates

I hope everyone is doing well.
I am in better spirits today, thanks Daisy. Hope you are doing well. Be safe. We are all with you in your period of strict self-isolation. I think it is amazing that you have sewn so many face masks. Small actions , like this, collectively make a big difference to all.

I love your 100 day cycling plans, JR. I hope you get to do that. France, this summer, might be a bit of a longer shot. Hopefully not !

Willow, thanks. My avatar pic is of a relatively unknown, Brazilian soccer player called Helano. Pele once said, growing up, that he was the best player he had ever seen. Helano's life, addictions, self destruction and neglect meant he never achieved his potential. At the time I chose that avatar, a long time ago, I was in a darker place, maybe.

I will be 100 days this weekend, BM, but I thought of 90 as my big milestone. I will be cheering CB's and daisy's 90 days with you. I really wish my day could start without gallons of coffee. I envy you with your hot, lemon water. Maybe one day.

Cityboy, my day before we joined this SR class was much like yours. So depressing. So glad we did this.

I am good spirits this morning so less of a struggle to go for it today.

Have a healthy, safe, happy and sober day all

dlb
Old 04-08-2020, 03:20 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey, Cityboy and dlb, you early birds.

Oh, I forgot to say earlier, db7, that sewing 50 masks in 3 days is great! How amazing is that! Curious, though, were you charging or was it free? Lol. Just kidding around.

I don't own a bandanna (ha, jr! Got that spelling correct!), not a kerchief, nothing. The surgeon general's tips are lost on me for now. I'll be sticking with the boring, white medical masks, lol.

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi to you, BM !

I love seeing the different time zones we all connect here in.
Have a great day
Old 04-08-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I've never been much of a coffee drinker anyway. I'm more of a tea person so hot lemon water is easy for me in the mornings. Coffee is growing on me though...

The story behind your avatar is touching, dlb.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hello Class!
Yes willow I think I was lost but now I am found, seriously though I missed the beginning of the new thread somehow and I always check my subscription list and seen no one had posted in a few days, me included, and was like wow! I hope everyone is ok.
Congrats to the many milestoners in the Class! Chugging right along!
City I clicked THT a few weeks ago in a fit of boredom and had the same experience. Funny how alcohol and lack thereof changes the way we think. I couldnt stand more than a minute or 2 where as when I was drinking it was a part of my day everyday.

I got another kayak 2 days ago. This one has pedals as where my 1st was paddle only. It makes fishing so much easier but it has reminded me of how out of shape my legs are.
New goal, get legs in shape.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Hello Class!
Yes willow I think I was lost but now I am found, seriously though I missed the beginning of the new thread somehow and I always check my subscription list and seen no one had posted in a few days, me included, and was like wow! I hope everyone is ok.
Hey FK

I think we established in a previous conversation didn't we that subscriptions won't carry over to a new 'part' ?

the software sees it as an entirely new thread, so you 'll have to resubscribe every time this thread gains a new part 7 or whatever

D
Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterMarsh View Post
Hey classmates!

It's 11am here and I'm thinking of getting my 1st coffee. Am I the only one who doesn't drink coffee first thing in the morning? I instead drink hot, lemon water... It's great for detoxing and hydration.

We have sunny days forecast for the rest of the week, which is nice.

Have a beautiful day, all!
I only have coffee in the morning....I like to stop by 12, no more caffeine for the day after that. At night, after dinner I drink plain hot water. Which is wonderful for lots of things. I should put lemon in it...I have lemons. s xx ❤️
Old 04-08-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Glad you found the thread fish. s xx ❤️

Thank you for explaining your avi dear bacchus....I have been wondering for ages, and I adored Pele and that is a special story about Helano. s xx ❤️
Old 04-08-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey FK

I think we established in a previous conversation didn't we that subscriptions won't carry over to a new 'part' ?

the software sees it as an entirely new thread, so you 'll have to resubscribe every time this thread gains a new part 7 or whatever

D
Yes we did👍
I have it set so once I reply it is automatically subscribed.
I just missed your post announcing the new thread somehow.🤷*♂️
Old 04-08-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon/evening/night class.

Rainy Weds. morning here, but the forecast is good for my planned bicycle ride Friday.

Good idea about a little Tour de France action, CB. I have on occasion rented a bicycle for seeing more of a foreign city I was visiting than one could cover on foot (Madrid, Buenos Aires, the beautiful Sicilian town of Noto and surrounding area), and once upon a time (in 1986) I had my bicycle with me for two weeks each in (1) the Southwest of England; (2) parts of France (Normandy, Paris, the Loire Valley, the Riviera) and (3) the Italian Riviera (from the French border, through Genoa, and eventually to Florence) .

Ouch that last part reminds me: I went head over heels and handlebars in the hills outside Fiesole (above Florence) due to (1) an unexpected pothole in the shoulder of a country road; and (2) an oncoming car, coming uphill, that swerved into my lane on a curve as I was coasting downhill; undoubtedly influenced by my dulled reflexes due to (3) the bottle of wine I had consumed with my picnic lunch a little while earlier.

The incident led me to my first exposure to a non-U.S. medical system, wherein I got stitched up at a rural clinic that sunny Sunday afternoon, obviously a foreigner with meager touristic Italian language skills, and was never asked for insurance information or presented with a bill.

Quiz:

Q. Chances of receiving such care at such (non-)cost in the U.S.?

A. Zero.

So yeah, if France is on for jr for the summer (or next summer), maybe I'll find me a stretch of Le Tour to cruise on (sober).

Happy (socially-distanced) Wednesday, folks.

One day more of sobriety; one day closer to our eventual post-isolation.

P.S. Did someone say waterfall? Here's one, the Cascada de Texolo, outside Xico, Mexico:

Look familiar?

Quiz:

What movie is it featured in?

Here's another view:

(Note footbridge, upper right in photo, that you cross in order to hike down to the waterfall).

Hint: Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

On second cup of coffee waiting for them to finish servicing my car. On top of my normal pot of thick coffee from home. It's a locally owned place where I go and the owners wife is in charge of the coffee.

Jr, I know the movie I think, although having trouble remembering the details of that specific scene.

Fishkiller, will be looking for pictures or video footage like from the show Kayak Bassin.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:24 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

That's a great avatar story dontlookback. A symbol of potential lost to addiction.

As I searched through all my pictures for a suitable SR avatar, I finally settled on that picture of the cactus flower from our trip out west last summer. Something a bit haggard but nice, arising out of something thorny and beat down looking.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

jr, that story of your unfortunate bicycle accident had me at first thinking, 'oh my, I'm so sorry...'. But then, I couldn't help myself; the giggles and laughter came too, from picturing you flying over your bicycle onto the side of the road. Oh gosh, it's terrible but oh so funny, in retrospect. Thankful we don't cycle while 'high' anymore, right?

Anyway, I, too, am excited about your upcoming (10K?) ride this Friday. I'll be thinking of you.

Cityboy, nice avatar too. I've got to find myself one soon.

Suze, I, also, drink hot water after meals now. It's a million times better than the cold beer I used to drink after eating before I quit.